Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

therattle posted:

I’ve already told you! It’s infantilising.

I agree but I can't put my finger on why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Labour leadership figures are dropping like flies - Jenny Chapman is being removed from her post and gets sent to the shadow cabinet with responsibility for Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/22/labour-leader-keir-starmer-axes-chief-aide-jenny-chapman

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Is this good or bad for Starmer? If he's belatedly realised that his chief advisors have been providing really poo poo advice, then at least he's taking some initiative in sacking them.

If it's more a case of rats deserting the sinking ship however, that's not so good.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

u brexit ukip it posted:

Labour leadership figures are dropping like flies - Jenny Chapman is being removed from her post and gets sent to the shadow cabinet with responsibility for Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/22/labour-leader-keir-starmer-axes-chief-aide-jenny-chapman

brexit is done so just another non-job

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
This is the moment the Guardian has been telling us about. Keith is about to stop being loving useless and defeat the tories.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
You have to wonder at what point in the "I keep hiring these people to make the public like me and it's not working, how are they all so bad at this?" thought, self-reflection will set in.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jel Shaker posted:

brexit is done so just another non-job

Yeah, how does this work - who is she shadowing? There isn't a minister for brexit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers

Also Johnson is the only one without a picture - it's just a door?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Starmer will continue to take responsibility for Labour's fuckups until there's no-one left for him to fire

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

Jag is in Scotland I accept, but 'jab' is only used occasionally in England and very colloquially so it's weird seeing the entire mainstream press using it almost exclusively. It just feels patronising somehow, idk why.

'Jab' is used by almost everyone I know from all over the place, except the Scottish folk who use 'jag'!
Maybe it's a generational thing as most of the folk on my facebook are over 40.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The Perfect Element posted:

The micro USB port on my s7 is hosed (cables just fall out if I don't position the phone and cable to within a millionth of a millimetre of the right position , as the port I think has been eroded after years of sleepily trying to plug the jack in the wrong way. Micro USB sucks so much) . I've owned this phone for like... 6 years now, and other than the charging it still works perfectly.

I really don't wanna upgrade, because it seems so wasteful when this phone does literally everything I need it to. Other than recharge.

Does the thread hive mind have any suggestions about what I could do? It doesn't seem like an easy fix.

I had the same thing on my Nokia, sent it off to be repaired and it turned out it just needed a good clean with a toothpick or similar. Might be worth a try before spending out on a repair.

TACD posted:

Can we have an actual bag of wet eggs as Labour leader instead please

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1407266486104821761

Deleted already, what was it?

Pistol_Pete posted:

Is this good or bad for Starmer? If he's belatedly realised that his chief advisors have been providing really poo poo advice, then at least he's taking some initiative in sacking them.

If it's more a case of rats deserting the sinking ship however, that's not so good.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1407285191673057288?s=19

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 22, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

You have to wonder at what point in the "I keep hiring these people to make the public like me and it's not working, how are they all so bad at this?" thought, self-reflection will set in.

Back in the dim and distant, one of the senior managers (a board member) of the Health Authority I was working for went through 6 or 7 'executive secretaries' - high pay, expensive to recruit - in 2 years.
It took a long time for HR to cotton on to the fact that the problem wasn't the recruitment process but the way the manager would micro-manage everything, say everything was urgent, never let them finish anything before he would throw something else at them saying it was more urgent, and generally piss them off. Expensive executive secretaries do not need a manager hanging over their shoulder while they are typing in Wordstar (yes it was that long ago) and using the ^B or ^U codes and so forth for formatting to be told 'you've made a mistake you've typed a B or a U or a P' there or asking dumb questions like 'do you have to boot up BASIC before the Wordstar (when you're using a networked computer running on some version of unix).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Jag is in Scotland I accept, but 'jab' is only used occasionally in England and very colloquially so it's weird seeing the entire mainstream press using it almost exclusively. It just feels patronising somehow, idk why.

Jab is also used in Scotland. Parts of it anyway. It's what I call it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lungboy posted:

Deleted already, what was it?

an interview with Sophy Ridge where he says he doesn't want Matt Hancock to resign

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm losing the thread with all these Labour factions 'First' 'Progress' 'Fabians' 'Black Rose' etc. I assume First are ultra-right labourists?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Archaeoprogrammers have been trying to reverse engineer ancient screenshot technology, not sure how they're progressing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aah, a few tweets last night suddenly make sense.

For those not up on political and journalistic drama and the twitter metadrama around it - last month, after Hartlepool, Tim Shipman, political editor of the Sunday Times, posted that it was interesting how intensely LOTO defended Chapman, an advisor to Starmer, then intriguingly mentioned that Chapman was banned from Starmer's home. Shipman then went completely silent for almost a week before quietly deleting that tweet (but *not* the ones about how intensely Chapman was being defended) and posting:

https://twitter.com/shippersunbound/status/1395045719187283971?lang=en

The Shitpost Left had a field day with this, and them offering their support and love to a Murdoch political journalist was one of the stranger political sights of the year. Anyway last night someone - I *think* @wariotifo - posted that he'd heard that Shipman had had his phone confiscated for 24 hours, and a couple of other people in the RP/TF blob posted allusions to a big story. No idea how a bunch of random podcasters seemed to be on top of the story 12 hours ago (or why they've now all deleted the tweets rather than going on a lap of honour) but there we go.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sanford posted:

Is jab not a standard term for a vaccination? Flu jab, tetanus jab, TB jab? I've had lots of jabs in my time. It's what they're called.

Most people I know have talked about being stabbed

(No, this is not because I live in Barking, shurrup)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

What's the deal with the UK and weirdly infantilising language? "Have your say", but also weirdly cutesy euphemism terms like "tory" or "nonce".

I mean, uh, 'Tory' has been a thing since about the late 17th century and originally referred to outlaws. I'm not sure it's really 'infantilising' as such, any more than calling the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei 'Nazis' is infantilising.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm losing the thread with all these Labour factions 'First' 'Progress' 'Fabians' 'Black Rose' etc. I assume First are ultra-right labourists?
Pretty much. They're the older hard right/anti left faction, but are pretty much the same thing as Progress these days.

What I don't get is the link between Chapman being sacked & them calling the shots? I mean, I've kind of assumed since the locals &c that Starmer must be in the thrall of right wing ghouls since nobody's that loving stupid and it's the most obvious answer, but why them in particular & what's Chapman got to do with it?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

'Jab' is used by almost everyone I know from all over the place, except the Scottish folk who use 'jag'!
Maybe it's a generational thing as most of the folk on my facebook are over 40.
I am not over 40 & also just thought it was the normal word for it :shrug:

Dabir posted:

I love bricks. Especially when they're old and weathered, they look great. Dirt on bricks is characterful, dirt on white concrete just looks filthy. Show me a white concrete outside wall that's gone a week without looking like it needs a wash.
icr whom but someone itt said that if they were in charge of deciding on building designs they'd just send every architect's mock-up straight back to them & ask for one that shows what it'll look like if it's left to rust & not cleaned for 30 years. That poster should be in charge of deciding on building designs (& it is a loving miracle that nobody actually in charge has noticed what literally always happens)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

I agree but I can't put my finger on why

Because it's a casual and slightly childish way of referring to an injection, as if to make it more palatable. It's the language you'd use for a child.

i have found a thread on Gransnet where people are annoyed too so we are apparently in good company.

Someone on Twitter posted this, which is good:
https://mobile.twitter.com/helenebedford/status/1370665601069383680

Sanford posted:

Is jab not a standard term for a vaccination? Flu jab, tetanus jab, TB jab? I've had lots of jabs in my time. It's what they're called.

I thought shot was also used. "Have you had your flu shot?".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, I live surrounded by old brickwork and it just looks depressing to me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lunar Suite posted:

Germany is probably just as bad,

This is usually true

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

therattle posted:

Because it's a casual and slightly childish way of referring to an injection, as if to make it more palatable. It's the language you'd use for a child.

i have found a thread on Gransnet where people are annoyed too so we are apparently in good company.

Someone on Twitter posted this, which is good:
https://mobile.twitter.com/helenebedford/status/1370665601069383680

I thought shot was also used. "Have you had your flu shot?".

Why is shot acceptable and jab isnae?

Away to gently caress policing my language.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anything to keep the conversation on the vaccination program and away from the massacre.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Azza Bamboo posted:

Anything to keep the conversation on the vaccination program and away from the massacre.
I wouldn't write England off that much just for the Scotland result, I reckon we can walk away from Czech Republic with 1 nil

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What sort of stupid dipshit gets mad about being using the word jab?

Honestly this loving country.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

right inuff
ma language is disgraceful

ma maw tellt mi
ma teacher tellt mi
thi doactir tellt mi
the priest tellt mi

ma boss tellt mi
ma landlady in carrington street tellt mi
thi lassie ah tried tay get aff way in 1969 tellt mi
sum wee smout thi thoat ah hudny read chomsky tellt mi
a calvinistic communist thit thoat ah wuz revisionist tellt mi

po-faced literati grimly kerryin thi burden a thi past tellt mi
po-faced literati grimly kerryin thi burden a thi future tellt mi
ma wife tellt mi just-tay-get-inty-this poem tellt mie
jist aboot ivry book ah oapend tellt mi
even thi introduction tay thi Scottish National Dictionary tellt mi

ach well
all livin language is sacred
gently caress thi lohta thim

Venomous fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 22, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Jab's a good word because it doesn't sound like a big deal. The last thing we need is more people opting out of injections because they're afraid of needles.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

therattle posted:

It is absolutely not, because it focuses on the pain.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Brickchat, someone told me a thing about brick sizes, apparently at one point in the long-agos there was a tax on building that was calculated per-brick, so builders in the industrial north and midlands, (where just like now there was a wealth disparity), started using bricks made on bigger brick-making machines to get around this. The tax got repealed or at least started being calculated a different way but the brick-making machines were built by then so a lot of particularly industrial buildings in that era kept using the larger brick size.

What I love about that is that it's a detail that if you even knew to look for it, you might pass off as just a regional difference but it turns out there's a reason for it that builds politics of the time into the actual skin of these buildings that by now are either falling down or converted to yuppie flats.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New flu jab linked to Tory noncing hour say eggheads.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Tory Noncing Hour linked to successful new Flu Jab rollout say heads of wet eggs

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

forkboy84 posted:

Why is shot acceptable and jab isnae?

Away to gently caress policing my language.

I never endorsed shot, just said it was used. :viggo:

That said, I do actually use it and prefer it to jab

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Jab is a good word cause it can mean an injection or a tit.

Big Jabs for All

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ThomasPaine posted:

Jag is in Scotland I accept, but 'jab' is only used occasionally in England and very colloquially

The NHS use "jab" so that probably counts as formally.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The NHS use "jab" so that probably counts as formally.

Exactly its weird

keep punching joe posted:

What sort of stupid dipshit gets mad about being using the word jab?

Honestly this loving country.

Mad is the wrong word, I just find it personally irritating, idk

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Oh dear me posted:

It is absolutely not, because it focuses on the pain.

Trent fucken Reznor over here

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Borrovan posted:

The second one

lmao

I;ve told them what it means and now I think they're doing it just to wind me up.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
"Jab" isn't near as infantilising as when a doctor refers to your "tummy" when you're over 40.

Maybe my doctor's just odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wondered if that was because "stomach" implies a more specific location and "abdomen" is likely to get you confused looks from most of the population.