Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Our girls gave us our first egg this morning! Wife heard one of them sing her laying song while she was sitting outside having her coffee this morning.

Double yolk! Google tells me that's common with young hens? TIL.

So pretty and orange. Was good eatin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Need advice, our frizzle chicken that we appreciate has developed a giant blind spot on one of her sides and I don't know if this is just normal molting or if it's mites or a more serious issue like pecking. She doesn't seem to have any marks or anything thay makes us think the other chickens are attacking her.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Imagined posted:

Our girls gave us our first egg this morning! Wife heard one of them sing her laying song while she was sitting outside having her coffee this morning.

Double yolk! Google tells me that's common with young hens? TIL.

So pretty and orange. Was good eatin'.

:toot:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

Need advice, our frizzle chicken that we appreciate has developed a giant blind spot on one of her sides and I don't know if this is just normal molting or if it's mites or a more serious issue like pecking. She doesn't seem to have any marks or anything thay makes us think the other chickens are attacking her.

I have a hen that’s got a bald spot on her neck but the feathers are starting to regrow. I think it’s molting in her case. One way to know if it’s the other chickens is to take a few pictures of the area over time. If the feathers start to grow and then disappear then it’s the other chickens pulling them.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Got a picture of her as an example, I'm just worried for her especially from the heat and her getting sunburnt.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 19, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

ChaseSP posted:

Got a picture of her as an example, I'm just worried for her especially from the heat and her getting sunburnt.

poor darling :( i've seen chickens develop big bald spots during their moult, but that looks a bit too severe to be normal, especially with the wing feathers missing. it could be from a combination of moulting and heat stress.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It started before the severe heat wave, she's been like this for a bit and we were thinking some combination of mites, and abuse from her sisters.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

It started before the severe heat wave, she's been like this for a bit and we were thinking some combination of mites, and abuse from her sisters.

Poor girl!

You could try some permethrin dust for possible parasites. It’s dangerous to cats and bees (obviously) so be careful where you put it. I’ve treated poultry lice with it and it works great.

For possible feather pulling, maybe put her next to a different neighbor on the roost at night? I’d guess that’s the most likely place for all of that to be happening.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
a couple more of Tiny Man, with my partner's better phone:

He's just a baby at heart, if he's being held comfortably he just goes right to sleep.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tiny man is even tinier than i imagined. his power must be immense

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chard posted:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Chard posted:

So chicken powers are like homeopathy? The tinier the dose, the more potent?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

BHB posted:

He's just a baby at heart, if he's being held comfortably he just goes right to sleep.
i love tiny man

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Chard posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BHB posted:

a couple more of Tiny Man, with my partner's better phone:

Is Tiny Man just young, or do they have a condition that's made them into the mighty force of nature they are?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is Tiny Man just young, or do they have a condition that's made them into the mighty force of nature they are?

he's actually a grandpa, Seramas just stay really small. I think as a breed they're fairly new? they're very tiny and very cute.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

BHB posted:

he's actually a grandpa, Seramas just stay really small. I think as a breed they're fairly new? they're very tiny and very cute.

:vince:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

What a good looking tiny rooster.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

BHB posted:

oh heck :kimchi:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

That level of majestic cuteness shouldn't be possible.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Took a taxi to the feedstore yesterday for pellets, by the time I got back (probably a 20-minute run total) I'd somehow convinced the taxi driver to get his dad chickens for fathers day. Ended up giving him a couple of books from when I first started and the name of the lady I got my chicks from. :3:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycx7Juplr7g

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

what

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

It does kind of seem there are a few leftover parts you didn't use from your rooster kit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I need to know more about these Majestic Mini Rooster.

Much more.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BHB posted:

Chickens with powerful auras.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Oh my god,

Chard posted:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

to heal the earth, tiny man and large marge must kiss

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Although my cockatiel Serra would likely respond to a Tiny Chicken by fleeing in terror, I wish I could make her friends with one of these Powerful Rooster Bois.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BHB posted:

they're 45-50 years old or so. they're weird little chickens but popular as hell right now.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

perepelki posted:

:hai:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

perepelki posted:

This is the future we want.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Tiny Man puts his heart and soul into it when he crows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYDJBvD5LiE&t=8s

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

BHB posted:

my heart omg

PII-p-PIIIIII~

tiny man is my hero

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BHB posted:

He's got that Big Cock Energy :v:.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

BHB posted:

Oh mah gaaaawd!

:kimchi:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

BHB posted:

ATTENTION LADIES! HEED MY CALL TO ROMANCE!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We had a chicken suddenly die overnight, my wife found her face down in the run this morning. Does anyone have any experience with contacting your local ag extension office about getting an autopsy done? Here in Illinois I can't find any info that they do that in in department of agriculture website. Or should we not worry about just one bird and wait to see if we lose any more? We have 19 more. It does not seem to be a predator at all.

Edit: I think I got audio from one of our cameras of her dying. Sounds like a squak and then total silence. Seems to fit the descriptions I've read of chickens falling over dead from heart attacks. Could also explain why she was the first one out of the coop this am.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 23, 2021

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband now wants a rooster like Tiny Man. I'm just concerned the neighbors would get annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alterian posted:

My husband now wants a rooster like Tiny Man. I'm just concerned the neighbors would get annoyed.

We only had our roosters for a week or two after they matured and started crowing. Nearest neighbors house ins 150-200ft away. We could easily hear them crowing indoors inside the neighbors house. I'd like to have a single rooster for the flock but it's just not realistic for where we live (or pleasant for our neighbors, who we get along well with).