Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bundy posted:

My lol is because 2 sitting mids again, a Maguire that I doubt should be playing and the obvious playing-like-poo poo-Kane. Dunno about Saka, is he better than Sancho?

Ironically 2 DMs makes more sense for this game as goal difference could (lol) come into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think saka in front of walker would be good for an actual good team with great players on the wing because he's surely better defensively than the other options but lol against this czech team ffs

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Did Sancho poo poo in someone’s kitbag?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Did Sancho poo poo in someone’s kitbag?

Gareth has been asked to leave him out so he doesnt get injured ahead of his big money transfer to a Manchester Club

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 22, 2021

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Bundy posted:

My lol is because 2 sitting mids again, a Maguire that I doubt should be playing and the obvious playing-like-poo poo-Kane. Dunno about Saka, is he better than Sancho?

The two sitting midfielders thing is really misleading. We did that versus Croatia and Phillips was always running forward, and led to our goal doing so. 4231 works for me, it's just the right players need to be there. Maguire has declared himself fit and wants to play, the backroom team must agree. Kane, well, I'd be happy to play DCL to poo poo him up a bit, but yeah who the gently caress drops Harry Kane?!

Scotland, GS got his subs badly wrong, hoping a lesson has been learned there.

britishbornandbread fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 22, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Excited for Grealish to have a nothing game and everyone to move on to the next One Big Hope

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

britishbornandbread posted:

The two sitting midfielders thing is really misleading. We did that versus Croatia and Phillips was always running forward, and led to our goal doing so. 4231 works for me, it's just the right players need to be there. Maguire has declared himself fit and wants to play, the backroom team must agree. Kane, well, yeah, I'd be happy to play DCL to poo poo him up a bit, but yeah who the gently caress drops Harry Kane?!

Scotland, GS got his subs badly wrong, hoping a lesson has been learned there.

Phillips largely rendered Rice surplus to requirements in both matches which is more my point.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

CyberPingu posted:

Gareth has been asked tp leave hom out so he doesnt get injured ahead of his big money transfer to a Manchester Club

:thunk:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Bundy posted:

Phillips largely rendered Rice surplus to requirements in both matches which is more my point.

I'd probably agree with this overall, but clearly the trust in the defence is not there to just play one of them.

Rarity posted:

Excited for Grealish to have a nothing game and everyone to move on to the next One Big Hope

This will absolutely happen, and the next One Big Hope has already been found in Sancho.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Good job we took sancho to not play instead of players we could have actually played. Pep-esque

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

CyberPingu posted:

Ironically 2 DMs makes more sense for this game as goal difference could (lol) come into it

You can also improve your goal difference by scoring goals hth.

Kane has to come off if he's as poo poo as his last 2 games, maximum of 60 minutes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

You can also improve your goal difference by scoring goals hth.

Kane has to come off if he's as poo poo as his last 2 games, maximum of 60 minutes.

Yes but Gareth doesn't like playing attacking football and is basically Mr damage control.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

That's 15 minutes too many

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rarity posted:

That's 15 minutes too many

Agreed but it's never going to happen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
like if we're already through then its stupid to start him. give someone else 60 minutes to get some playing time and see how it works then bring kane on for the rest

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

CyberPingu posted:

Yes but Gareth doesn't like playing attacking football and is basically Mr damage control.

He's pragmatic, and for sure has had moments when he's put the handbrake on when he should not have (v Denmark in NL springs to mind) but we scored the joint second most goals in qualifying (including five in one match against tonight's opponents). I realise we played some farmers and waste men, but I think the image of a dire, defensive manager is a bit unfair. I was drunk for most of the summer 2018, and not every performance was a classic, but I think we had some decent attacking performances, amongst some decent defensive ones too.

Still, I'll take a 1-0 win right now. About to shut down my computer and head to the pub. Enjoy the game everyone.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Saka's kinda wasted in front of Walker -- he tracks back really well so there's room to play a more offensive wing-back like Trippier or James.

Otherwise that lineup actually looks pretty good. It makes sense to keep both Rice and Phillips if they're gonna have an out-and-out number 10 like Grealish.

Would have been a good opportunity to test Sancho or Calvert-Lewin, but I can understand Southgate having a couple of undroppables.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

We have to face the good teams at some point so it doesn't really matter when we play them, we'll have to get spanked at some point (but nonetheless it's coming home etc etc)

A special treat for when it's come home.

Fine. Maguire needs minutes if he's going to play in the knockouts. Rice + Phillips seems to just be what our midfield 2 is forever now.

Would be nice to see Sancho in for Sterling maybe but that's then a very raw 3.

Harry needs a goal.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Has anyone other than the former host of Soccer AM shared that XI yet?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Grealish is going to score 10 goals and rip off his england shirt to reveal a giant AVFC tattoo on his chest whilst flipping off the cameras

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m hearing it’ll be Bellingham as a false 9

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

CyberPingu posted:

Gareth has been asked to leave him out so he doesnt get injured ahead of his big money transfer to a Manchester Club

You would imagine it’s more ‘don’t inflate his value before the transfer is finalised’ surely

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

kane is starting though :confused:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

peanut- posted:

So are we protecting a young player like Sancho by playing Saka?

Saka's really fwiggin good tbh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Last I read, Sancho was pretty involved in the qualifiers and didn’t do much. Not really an excuse to give such a good player a tournament opportunity but there’s a history there. I think.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

maybe if we bring on grant holt and bobby zamora at half-time

maybe then england will be good

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

britishbornandbread posted:

Has anyone other than the former host of Soccer AM shared that XI yet?

https://twitter.com/England/status/1407391654512824323

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Would have liked to have seen someone come in for Sterling before the knockouts to test out options tbh and I hope Kane gets hooked at half time if he’s ineffective again but that’s not going to happen

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Big Scoops Max strikes again

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Declan Rice is a big, juicy fraud.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

team is fine, everything is fine

england are still going to get knocked out in the quarters because that's what they do, but they've beaten the best team in the group, have qualified with a game to spare, and haven't conceded a goal so far

like, everything keane said about the prawn sandwich people at united goes ten times over for england and ideally all of those people should be turned into some colour of soylent

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
He's not gonna risk Big Hendo until an absolutely crucial match at which point he definitely won't be a rusty liability.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Would have liked to have seen someone come in for Sterling before the knockouts to test out options tbh and I hope Kane gets hooked at half time if he’s ineffective again but that’s not going to happen

This would seem to have been the obvious match to do it in yeah

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
southgate is a coward

nevertheless,

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Barry Shitpeas posted:

southgate is a coward

nevertheless,

I’d like to see it coming home with this lineup!

*it comes home easily*

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Rarity posted:

Lol, lmao

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Bundy posted:

No

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

saka and grealish didn’t get the memo to pass sideways i see

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

saka and grealish didn’t get the memo to pass sideways i see

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970429

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat