Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone raves about the consistent ratio between larger and smaller units, but if you ask me, not having a thousand definitions of the same unit is the best part about SI.

People who promote things like “metric pounds” and “metric pints” should be guillotined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

“metric pounds”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZTeWLA1LAs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Decimal currency is poo poo if you only divide it once and let inflation make all your currency units worth a tiny fraction of the value they had when you set up the system.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I now oppose metric currencies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo a fairly good video about the origin of precise measurements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNRnrn5DE58

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What kind of idiot adds thirteen to seventeen and does it digit-by-digit? :psyduck:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

What kind of idiot adds thirteen to seventeen and does it digit-by-digit? :psyduck:

tbh i was more weirded out that he carries the one below rather than above

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Platystemon posted:

People not experienced in maths like anyone that doesn't have much beyond and elementary school education.

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh i was more weirded out that he carries the one below rather than above

That's definitely wtf

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a number of advantages to using base 12, but if you've grown up being taught to just do math in base 10, it's a little extra hassle switching over. And when you mix it with base 20, that's another level of complication and you've added and you have to do a base 240 conversion between the top and bottom of the scale. Personally it also always screws me up that the English call their lowest denomination "pence" as opposed to other currencies that name their denominations by the fraction they are of the main denomination, so my brain always wants to make it into "pents" which would denote some kind of numeric value.

And the reason that English currency was screwy in the first place is basically because Charlemagne set forth the ratios. I know modern French as a language has some kind of focus on base 20 and apparently both English and German have a linguistic significance for base 12, so maybe whatever language Charlemagne spoke had both, but really it's because of how numeric base systems didn't actually exist back then before Arabic numerals were introduced, and a lot of the mathematical speedbumps involved in working things out in your head don't really get in the way as much when you're working with words or an abacus.

Roman currency before Charlemagne could get pretty screwy about inter-denominational relations too.

Platystemon posted:

Decimal currency is poo poo if you only divide it once and let inflation make all your currency units worth a tiny fraction of the value they had when you set up the system.

At least they're trying to keep numbers low. Every time I see Japanese currency and its totally unreduced numbers with a ludicrous trail of zeroes behind it throws me off.

Platystemon posted:

I know that in the 60s, American schools were doing some kind of screwing around with the way math was taught (which Tom Lehrer lampooned), but I really never got my mind around how. Possibly the Commonwealth screwed around as well.

Bonus crayon math

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

old danish money had similar ratios:

1 rigsdaler = 6 mark = 96 skilling
1 sletdaler = 4 mark = 64 skilling
1 speciedaler = 84 skilling
1 ort = 24 skilling
1 mark = 16 skilling
1 skilling = 3 hvid = 12 penning

all nice numbers with lots of divisors

btw dollar comes from thaler same as daler

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

At least they're trying to keep numbers low. Every time I see Japanese currency and its totally unreduced numbers with a ludicrous trail of zeroes behind it throws me off.

I know a number of non-Zimbabwean currencies also regularly get up into weirdly high values due to things like inflation and such, but it's only weird when you see it the first time. The conversion rate to yen to dollars is (roughly) 100Y to $1 so it's not too wild when you just have to knock two zeroes off of a number in yen. Yen used to have subunits akin to US currency, but they were phased out in the 50s as inflation basically made them useless and the currency pegging, 360Y to $1 as part of Bretton Woods, probably didn't help matters

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Platystemon posted:

Everyone raves about the consistent ratio between larger and smaller units, but if you ask me, not having a thousand definitions of the same unit is the best part about SI.

People who promote things like “metric pounds” and “metric pints” should be guillotined.

What really bugs me is that a US cup is 236.6ml, unless it's a "legal cup" used for nutrition labeling, then it's 240ml.

And depending on where in the world you are, a cup can instead be any amount between 200 and 250ml :psyduck:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that in the 60s, American schools were doing some kind of screwing around with the way math was taught (which Tom Lehrer lampooned), but I really never got my mind around how. Possibly the Commonwealth screwed around as well.

I remember the first time I heard the New Math song, I thought it was a hilarious song about some insane new way of overcomplicating basic artihmetic. Then I saw a video which included a demonstration of the method in the song and I realised that it's actually a hilarious song about old people who apparently can't understand the sane way of doing arithmetic.

Here's how the first "new math" operation in the song works:
pre:
  3  4  2
- 1  7  3
You can't take 3 from 2 (2 is less than 3), so you look at the 4 in the tens place.
Now that's really four tens, so you make it three tens, [score a line through the 4 and write 3]
regroup, and you change a ten to ten ones and you add 'em to the two and get 12 [take the 1 you've subtracted from the tens column, add 10 to the units column]
And you take away 3 and that's 9, is that clear?
pre:
  3 ³4 12
- 1  7  3
I don't know about the rest of the world, but this is how everyone my age in the UK was taught subtraction.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah its just another wording of the same thing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, it makes me wonder how math was taught before the new math, because most of that follows what I know about the modern procedure. I also know that there were things that they were trying add to the curriculum that definitely did not stick like set theory. It'd be really weird if they were trying to teach kids alternate bases that early.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, it makes me wonder how math was taught before the new math, because most of that follows what I know about the modern procedure. I also know that there were things that they were trying add to the curriculum that definitely did not stick like set theory. It'd be really weird if they were trying to teach kids alternate bases that early.

As far as I can tell the old method was completely based around rote learning tricks with zero focus on understanding why a certain trick works. Maybe even rote learning a 'substraction table' akin to multiplication tables.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Carbon dioxide posted:

As far as I can tell the old method was completely based around rote learning tricks with zero focus on understanding why a certain trick works. Maybe even rote learning a 'substraction table' akin to multiplication tables.

Though I did call it insane, I *think* in truth it was not actually too different from the new math method, just kind of reversed.

“3 from 2 is 9, carry the one” is really just “if you’d go below zero in this operation, continue from 9, carry a 1 to the next column”, and then from the song’s preamble it sounds like you either added that one to the second number or subtracted it from the first number, then repeat.

That’s actually pretty analogous to how you do addition. Adding 3 to 9? Well, you go above 9, so you continue from 0, and carry a 1 to the next column.

The only real difference as far as I can see is that in the “new” way, you carry down with subtraction first, which makes it clear why you’re starting over from 9 and why you’re carrying a 1. But once you understand how subtraction works, both methods are essentially identical, especially if you’re doing any part of it in your head.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The whole common core hysteria is just repackaged new math hysteria.

Like, literally, there was a scene in the Incredibles sequel where Bob Parr is struggling with Dash's new math-inspired math homework (and all the chuds were like "lol, common core".

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
My grandfather was a high school dropout. Became a bookie and could do percentages in his head like nothing.

He used tricks like ‘evening out’ the numbers to make it easier then ‘cleaning it up.’ But he did it in his head in like 5 seconds.

He could never write it out.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know modern French as a language has some kind of focus on base 20 and apparently both English and German have a linguistic significance for base 12, so maybe whatever language Charlemagne spoke had both, but really it's because of how numeric base systems didn't actually exist back then before Arabic numerals were introduced, and a lot of the mathematical speedbumps involved in working things out in your head don't really get in the way as much when you're working with words or an abacus.

I heard (so I'm not certain if this is true) that the base-20 or even a base-6 system is a carry-over of Celtic numbers systems (people who speak or understand a modern Celtic language will probably be able to confirm or refute this), but I should add that even in French, it isn't universal. While in metropolitan French, 60 is soixante-dix ("60+10") 80 is indeed quatre-vingt ("4x20") and 90 is quatre-vingt-dix ("4x20+10") in Belgian and Swiss French we say 'septante' for 70 and nonnante for '90', and Swiss French even has 'octante' for 80. As a kind of cute piece of trivia: French spoken in the DR Congo also follows the Belgian system of counting, not the metropolitan French one, which is one of the markers a French-speaking African can tell their interlucutor is Congolese and not, say, Senegalese, Malinois or Ivorian.

Also, unique words for numbers like 11, 12 or 13 and so on that don't neatly follow a system as in, say, 23, 44 or 61 don't necessarily mean that the ancestor language had base-N as a counting system, it's just that numbers like 11-16 were much more likely to be used more frequently and thus grow into their own words, e.g. Latin clearly had a base-5 counting system but its word for 11 was structurally still a lot different from its word for, say, 41 or 71.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'd have thought a Malinois would likely speak Belgian french, if any.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'd have thought a Malinois would likely speak Belgian french, if any.

As far as I'm aware, Wallonian French isn't very radically different from France French, and definitely not to the extant of say, Flemish and Dutch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

twoday posted:

As far as I'm aware, Wallonian French isn't very radically different from France French, and definitely not to the extant of say, Flemish and Dutch.
Give it a few hundred years

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Belgium delenda est

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

No need to partition what never really was. Wallonia was always French, Flanders was always Dutch.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I heard (so I'm not certain if this is true) that the base-20 or even a base-6 system is a carry-over of Celtic numbers systems (people who speak or understand a modern Celtic language will probably be able to confirm or refute this), but I should add that even in French, it isn't universal. While in metropolitan French, 60 is soixante-dix ("60+10") 80 is indeed quatre-vingt ("4x20") and 90 is quatre-vingt-dix ("4x20+10") in Belgian and Swiss French we say 'septante' for 70 and nonnante for '90', and Swiss French even has 'octante' for 80.

Minor caveat, Swiss French uses 'huitante'. I've never heard octante, and neither has my wife who grew up in Suisse Romande. And this topic has come up occasionally in conversation and no one has ever heard anyone besides maybe a first year transfer student use "octante" because they read something online that told them people said that in Switzerland.

I wonder what Luxembourg-French uses. Probably a mixture of Belgian (70 / 4x20 / 90) and French (60+10 / 4x20 / 4x20+10) numbers.

E: Also what's going to get more fun is that Suisse Romande is planning to "rectify" French spelling, so suddenly just like there's English (UK) and English (US), there's going to be French (Fr) and French (CH) soon: https://www.letemps.ch/opinions/ok-nenufar-exemple-ca-secrit-ee-es-ees-er-ez-ai

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 21, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Does Quebecois French follow metropolitan French for numbers?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

twoday posted:

Not radically, no. What is different, is how a Malinois (both person or dog of that breed) originates from Malines (Mechelen), Flanders, whereas an inhabitant from Mali would be called a Malien in French or Malian in English. I just thought that was a funny minor mistake he made.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

I think everywhere outside of Europe they use the metropolitan French numbers.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Not radically, no. What is different, is how a Malinois (both person or dog of that breed) originates from Malines (Mechelen), Flanders, whereas an inhabitant from Mali would be called a Malien in French or Malian in English. I just thought that was a funny minor mistake he made.

Dogs can’t speak French

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Ibblebibble posted:

We do metropolitan french numbers yes. Most Quebecois immigration from France in the colonial era came from Normandy so there's weird language stuff sometimes but not for numbers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dogs can’t speak French

Untrue, one of the dogs we board regularly at work has a haitian owner and he is a delight. Both for coming from an actually skilled and discerning owner and for being basically the only person I get to speak my mother tongue too these days.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/baseballot/status/1406974971835002887

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Thank you. I was honestly confused there because I know 'Malinois' only as the French demonym for someone from Mechelen, lol. I wasn't thinking of the actual country of Mali at all.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Belgium delenda est

1. It should be 'Belgica delenda est' or 'Belgium delendum est'.
2. Why have a Scheldt Republic that doesn't even include Zealandic Flanders? Also nice how the putative Duchy of the Ardennes doesn't even include all of the Ardennes but somehow does wind up with all the ugliest dialects of Flanders. Win some, lose some I guess.
3. This is less likely to happen than Austria joining Germany, Catalonia gaining independence and Romania reunifying with Moldova, you know that, right?
4. A situation where the Talleyrand Plan is the least bonkers way to split Belgium is a pretty scathing indictment of the quality of the other plans.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Quote from country about to be partitioned

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Thank you. I was honestly confused there because I know 'Malinois' only as the French demonym for someone from Mechelen, lol. I wasn't thinking of the actual country of Mali at all.

1. It should be 'Belgica delenda est' or 'Belgium delendum est'.
2. Why have a Scheldt Republic that doesn't even include Zealandic Flanders? Also nice how the putative Duchy of the Ardennes doesn't even include all of the Ardennes but somehow does wind up with all the ugliest dialects of Flanders. Win some, lose some I guess.
3. This is less likely to happen than Austria joining Germany, Catalonia gaining independence and Romania reunifying with Moldova, you know that, right?
4. A situation where the Talleyrand Plan is the least bonkers way to split Belgium is a pretty scathing indictment of the quality of the other plans.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Belgium delenda est

Any plan that doesn't destroy the Netherlands as well is a waste of time, quite frankly.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

steinrokkan posted:

Any plan that doesn't destroy the Netherlands as well is a waste of time, quite frankly.

steinrokkan posted:

Could I interest you in a pamphlet on climate change?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Getting into Crypto Currency and motor sports to hasten the destruction of the Netherlands.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

As the sea level rises, Netherlands would build higher and higher dams, until it becomes completely submerged underwater in a giant bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

gently caress off Batman posted:

As the sea level rises, Netherlands would build higher and higher dams, until it becomes completely submerged underwater in a giant bubble.

far future where the dutch have evolved into a sort of amphibious wasp-like creature who chew up cellulose and spit it out to add more and more layers to their paper wasp-style inscrutable and inhuman national nest