Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

God, I wonder what that actually was at one point.
And did it completely disintegrate or did they remove most of it.

Given how the ground looks, I think they picked up the car with a forklift and the tires (and rear axle) just sort of... stayed there. Not a mustang - too much rear overhang, coil springs in the rear, and the coil springs in the front would have stayed with the car because they're *over* the upper control arm. Looks like a full-size, I'm thinking GM X-frame, given the rust pattern in the dirt. Whatever it was, there's likely very little left below the door sills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
context: guy who buys and parts out a lot of cars definitely hosed something up. guessing the neighbors hate his bullshit even more than before

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Escalade and… F-150? Maybe a Toyota 4Runner/Taco? Those big power cables heading to the rear of the vehicle are of interest.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
denali and Escalade I think

edit: probably the only time I've been that close to a burned car and its hard to overstate how bad it smelled

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 15, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, it's pretty acrid, especially if it's not a complete burn. Get 'em hot enough and let them burn long enough and there's not much of a smell at all, because everything that isn't metal is gone (and some of that, too...)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah having accidentally set a parts car on fire in 2013ish and had it burn 3/4 of the way to the ground hooooo boy that is a smell. Cutting that thing up and shoveling the debris into the trash loving sucked.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BraveUlysses posted:

context: guy who buys and parts out a lot of cars definitely hosed something up. guessing the neighbors hate his bullshit even more than before

Jump gone wrong?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Jump gone wrong?

The one on the right doesn't even have a wheel, that didn't just burn off. Though jumping off of an immobile vehicle you're "currently working on" probably isn't beyond the pale for this guy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

someone let their diff lava out

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
wtf :catstare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Turns out pinion bearings and oil are important, and when it gets hot enough it turns the pinion shaft into silly putty, twists off, sprays any remaining oil everywhere and the red hot metal sets it on fire

Also XJ people aren't great on maintenance

Edit: especially lifted ones. Those aren't factory leafs. Looks like a 97-01 from the ebrake cable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

someone let their diff lava out

That’s impressive.

kastein posted:

Turns out pinion bearings and oil are important, and when it gets hot enough it turns the pinion shaft into silly putty, twists off, sprays any remaining oil everywhere and the red hot metal sets it on fire

Also XJ people aren't great on maintenance

Edit: especially lifted ones. Those aren't factory leafs. Looks like a 97-01 from the ebrake cable.

I love that I’m not the only one who can pick details out and identify stuff like that. Not that I knew that particular one.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Knowing how bad old gear oil smells, I can only imaging what that stench is like.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:stare:

I would like to see what the hell happened there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Supposedly the wind picked it up in a storm.

I don’t have a location.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I would like to watch a Tesla autopilot that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Breaking: possibly informed speculation:

quote:

Hi. I do pavement management for a living. Civil engineer by education and now I do it across the US. This looks to be northwest Florida and the pavement section appears to have been subjected to flowing water. In that part of Florida, sand and seashells are often a mixture (a very poor one) for the subbase. The asphalt course is laid after a thin coat of asphaltic oil (RC-250?) is sprayed on the surface. In this case, the asphaltic oil didn’t bind well to the subbase and this is what you get when the water flowed over and around it and hydraulically separated it from the subbase.

quote:

Are seashells + sand subbase used in that area just for logistical reasons or AADT is low in that area that’s why thin wearing course? Seems like it could have lasted longer if the subbase was also mixed with concrete or maybe done insitu stabilisation?

quote:

t's commonly done on roads for the reasons you cite (cheap and available) and for a road like this that doesn't appear to see a great deal of traffic, it probably is fine until storm surge comes along. For roads that see more traffic and heavier loads, they will bring in proper well-graded subbase material. That obviously costs more. I usually only see a cement admixture when clays are involved, but I suppose you could use it in a situation like this...but it wouldn't be cheap anymore. Interestingly, I've seen similar issues ins parts of New Mexico where they use a lot of sand in their subbase and the tack coat won't adhere properly there either. The failures manifest themselves in different ways, but the reasons are the same.

but maybe it was the Bahamas:

quote:

It is from the Bahamas. This is Queens Highway in Grand Bahama going towards east end.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Supposedly the wind picked it up in a storm.

I don’t have a location.

Lol

Wind cannot shift tarmac like that. It's definitely from water.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Breaking: possibly informed speculation:

So the problem is that roads get slippery when wet.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Then you're just living on a prayer

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Take me home, country roads
All my memories gather 'round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

upset 'autonomous' vehicles with this one weird trick

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No. 6 posted:

Lol

Wind cannot shift tarmac like that. It's definitely from water.

Wind can't melt steel beams.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I have seen this happen when main battle tanks do emergency brakes on lower quality tarmac.

Can happen with very heavy trucks too (this is also how the weird shaker profile in front of traffic crossings evolves)

E: not an emergency brake but this is what happens if you don't use rubber padded tracks on tarmac

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 21, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's what happens when you don't design the road to be able to handle big dumb military parades.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Platystemon posted:

I mean that road was under ~6' of water 2 years ago during Dorian, so it makes sense.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Same issue with construction equipment like track hoes and such. I worked digging up pipelines for two summers during college and whenever the track hoe or dozer needed to cross a road, we would lay down big plywood sheets in front of it as it went. Grab the ones it rolled off, move them in front of the tracks, repeat a bunch of times until it was across the road. It was tedious but certainly protected the pavement

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Combat Theory posted:

I have seen this happen when main battle tanks do emergency brakes on lower quality tarmac.

Can happen with very heavy trucks too (this is also how the weird shaker profile in front of traffic crossings evolves)

E: not an emergency brake but this is what happens if you don't use rubber padded tracks on tarmac

And those are just T-34s. Modern tanks can be about twice the weight.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And those are just T-34s. Modern tanks can be about twice the weight.

But larger tread area so the difference in ground pressure isn't that pronounced. A 70-ton M1A2 is about 15psi, roughly the same as a 28.5-ton Tiger.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phanatic posted:

But larger tread area so the difference in ground pressure isn't that pronounced. A 70-ton M1A2 is about 15psi, roughly the same as a 28.5-ton Tiger.

I did some napkin math to make sure I wasn't saying something stupid but forgot I'm bad at math.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Phanatic posted:

I didn't realize the footprint was that much larger.

One day my AWACS had to divert due to weather (it's crazy I only diverted once), and I was amused and educated by the brief argument our pilot had with the ground controller at this airport. Turns out we were too heavy, as in ground pressure, for several of their parking areas and the controller's response of "But 747s use them all the time!" didn't really change the math. A lot of weight sits almost directly above the main gear, which has less than half the footprint of a 747.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Phanatic posted:

Overall ground pressure isn’t the problem, though. Pneumatic tires have ground pressure roughly equal to their inflation pressure - so cars are around 25-30 psi, and road bikes are way higher than that. 15psi is basically nothing.

The problem in the picture is a combination of the pavement quality, the specific track design (which probably has ridges designed to dig into soft surfaces, focusing the tank’s entire weight onto tiny points until it breaks through), and doing tight turns on the pavement.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think this could go here because it happened when getting out of the car and it's a mechanical failure.

My laptop bag fell off my shoulder because the strap detached itself on one end as I was taking it out. Because it's held by a tiny c-clip:

It's supposed to go in that narrow slot to keep the big clip and strap parts attached while allowing some rotation. Of course it went flying somewhere so good job Lenovo.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

But if you tried to remove it for a repair it would take 10minutes..
C-clips.. They Know.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

In Phoenix, all the roadside bus stops have the asphalt by the curb rippled outwards like a wave of lava, presumably from buses standing there repeatedly on hot days.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sagebrush posted:

In Phoenix, all the roadside bus stops have the asphalt by the curb rippled outwards like a wave of lava, presumably from buses standing there repeatedly on hot days.

That's more an issue with asphalt liquidity though. It's in issue in several southwest cities.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Might also be bad base prep on the road, we have lots of that here in my town in Sweden and we've got more of a Minneapolis weather.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Might also be bad base prep on the road, we have lots of that here in my town in Sweden and we've got more of a Minneapolis weather.

In places that care about public transit (note, not the USA), they put concrete at bus stops to prevent this. No amount of base prep can fix the fact that bitumen is a liquid. Asphalt is a suspension at best, and if you want a bitumen composition that can withstand hot, then it will turn to glass when it gets cold and then you get potholes. It's easier to ignore a wibbly street than one with potholes. So US cities just let their pavement turn to rear end around bus stops because they hate poors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In places that care about public transit (note, not the USA), they put concrete at bus stops to prevent this. No amount of base prep can fix the fact that bitumen is a liquid. Asphalt is a suspension at best, and if you want a bitumen composition that can withstand hot, then it will turn to glass when it gets cold and then you get potholes. It's easier to ignore a wibbly street than one with potholes. So US cities just let their pavement turn to rear end around bus stops because they hate poors.

the ones around here (CA) are concrete. i was about to post "arent bus stops usually concrete for this reason?" but i guess AZ, which would need it even more, doesnt do that for some reason? :shrug: