Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also the ball would almost instantly break up if accelerated to the speeds implied by the transit time.

https://youtu.be/cqidD7kVnxY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
A rooftop orbit of earth takes about eighty eight minutes, give or take. Faster and you escape, slower and you fall. Long game of catch, that.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I will clarify here that knowing that does not suspend my disbelief in a flying father and son playing catch around the world in any way.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Casnorf posted:

A rooftop orbit of earth takes about eighty eight minutes, give or take. Faster and you escape, slower and you fall. Long game of catch, that.

They were throwing curveballs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
THEY ARE LITERALLY FLYING WITHOUT PROPULSION WHO CARES IF THE BASEBALL IS WELL MADE

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

THEY ARE LITERALLY FLYING WITHOUT PROPULSION WHO CARES IF THE BASEBALL IS WELL MADE

constant farts

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

mastajake posted:

I feel like super perception is implied from successfully playing catch around the Earth, given the ball’s travel time.

The show cuts out the scene from the comics where
Mark 911s like three cities before he dials it in

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Man, I completely missed the pay-off of the cold opens of Episode 1 and 2. The kid who digs up Immortal's grave is the son of the guy talking about how he's reconnecting with his adopted kid.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Man, I completely missed the pay-off of the cold opens of Episode 1 and 2. The kid who digs up Immortal's grave is the son of the guy talking about how he's reconnecting with his adopted kid.

It took me ages to realise that the falling burger rubbish in front of Buckingham Palace was the bag Mark threw. For ages I just thought "huh that was weird, maybe it'll pay off".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I finished up my series of reviews. Whoever it was said that episode 6 would remain my least favourite was dead right!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Without looking it up I'm guessing episode 6 is the university one?

e:yep

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's an accurate throwback to Buffy season 4 in that it's both really stupid and also boring as hell.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the ball was made of unobtanium mined on Viltrum.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Talking about least favourite episodes. For me and I'm guessing a lot of people coming in blind, episode 1 was a complete bore and, if not for the last 3 minutes, would have made the rest of the season a hard pass. I had to force myself to rewatch it because everything except for that scene and the flying training could barely hold my attention.

It was a ballsy move to hold back such a powerful hook in what would otherwise have been a bland, colour-by-number superhero thing. They got lucky especially by the end that they went so viral.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I only finished the first episode because of a recommendation in The Boys thread. I was very confused until those last three minutes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bedshaped posted:

Talking about least favourite episodes. For me and I'm guessing a lot of people coming in blind, episode 1 was a complete bore and, if not for the last 3 minutes, would have made the rest of the season a hard pass. I had to force myself to rewatch it because everything except for that scene and the flying training could barely hold my attention.

It was a ballsy move to hold back such a powerful hook in what would otherwise have been a bland, colour-by-number superhero thing. They got lucky especially by the end that they went so viral.

I dunno I thought the characters were pretty solid and the voice acting was good so that pulled me in. Lots of shows take 2-4 episodes to really get going since they have to introduce the characters and world in the beginning, and ending with a twist hook is pretty common actually (see: first episode of game of thrones)

If you need violence to entice you into watching the show that says more about you than the show bud.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I think it's fair for people to want something different than what they've seen one million times before. It's not that weird to watch the first episode and think "ok I've seen this before, I may as well rewatch Justice League Unlimited or something".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I think it's fair for people to want something different than what they've seen one million times before.

Totally. But I disagree that the show had no value until the twist violence at the end of ep 1. It sure grabs your attention, but I don't think it would be unredeemable garbage had they not had that in episode 1 for instance.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I may as well rewatch Justice League Unlimited

Uhhhh

lmao

(That may be :thejoke: here IDK)

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

If you need violence to entice you into watching the show that says more about you than the show bud.

Spending the first 40 minutes of your debut episode pretending to be a children's cartoon before unleashing the most visceral anti-anti-villain reveal is cool as gently caress. You don't agree?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

Spending the first 40 minutes of your debut episode pretending to be a children's cartoon before unleashing the most visceral anti-anti-villain reveal is cool as gently caress. You don't agree?

I think surprising people at the end was cool, but I also don't think the first 40 minutes are necessarily a "children's cartoon" by any means.

If it wasn't animated you wouldn't assume that, that's just western culture talking. I guess its because I watch more anime I don't assume animation = childlike unless there's gore.

How many TV dramas start just like the show did? Its not like the first episode of Friends ends with Joey punching a hole through somebody.

Did Breaking Bad have violence in the first episode? It was a pretty slow burn about the depressed chemistry teacher at first. And look what that show became, and how many people were obsessed with it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 22, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really did not ever get the sense that this show was for children. The tone and setting aren’t inherently immature or dumbed down.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Not that it's too kiddy or anything, just that it's like a paint-by-numbers superhero story with superman's kid and the justice league and everything, most people just aren't interested in that without the twist. Like that's the whole hook of the series is that it looks like normal rote superhero stuff then it becomes something else entirely, they do it intentionally with the knowledge that people are going to recommend watching it all the way through episode 1 before making a decision.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The show looks like it's for kids like a worse animated Generator Rex right up until they start doing Fatalities on people and suddenly it looks like it might be palatable for the sophisticated adult actually.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They could probably predict the reaction to the first episode by what happened with the comics. It took them 7 issues of teenage superheroics before Omni Man moved on the Guardians, meaning the entire first book (6 issues to a trade paper back) functioned without any hook. Sales were very bad. Thankfully they were able to cover enough in the first 40 minute episode to fit the hook in the first viewing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I found the hyper-violence mostly made no impact on me either way, aside from some of the head/egg action being pretty silly.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Did Breaking Bad have violence in the first episode?

From memory but doesn't WW point a loaded gun at a police car in the opening minute? Actually he thinks it's a police car but either way he's ready to do death by cop. That's the hook.

Either way, "children's cartoon" was a bit strong but the point still stands.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Bedshaped posted:

From memory but doesn't WW point a loaded gun at a police car in the opening minute? Actually he thinks it's a police car but either way he's ready to do death by cop. That's the hook.

He also poisons Krazy 8 and Emilio by hurling gas and keeping them trapped in the RV.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Breaking Bad literally opens with Walter waving a gun around like a crazy person in his underwear in the middle of the desert, it’s a tremendous hook in the first 60 seconds

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Breaking Bad literally opens with Walter waving a gun around like a crazy person in his underwear in the middle of the desert, it’s a tremendous hook in the first 60 seconds

Alright fair enough, still I feel like there's plenty of examples of shows that take a good several episodes to really get dramatic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

josh04 posted:

I found the hyper-violence mostly made no impact on me either way, aside from some of the head/egg action being pretty silly.

The only violence in the show that had a proper impact on me was the jet pilot getting his head smashed. Because it's shocking and gory, but also utterly casual. Got some real Utopia (the good Utopia) vibes from that moment. It was great.

The deaths of the not-Justice League felt very edgelordy. Same as the start of The Boys, like it was enjoying dwelling on the gore of it and celebrating how grim and bloody the show is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well, I mean, yeah, why would you even bother to try and make a statement about authoritarian fascism if you didn’t want to glorify violence?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Well, I mean, yeah, why would you even bother to try and make a statement about authoritarian fascism if you didn’t want to glorify violence?

What?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bust Rodd posted:

I really did not ever get the sense that this show was for children. The tone and setting aren’t inherently immature or dumbed down.

I dunno, that was my impression too. Not children, but definitely made for a teenage audience. It's a pretty by-the-numbers teenage coming-of-age story, where he's going to high school, crushing on girls, flipping burgers for pocket money, wishing to be a big grown-up superhero like his dad. It's a genre that I know plenty of adults will watch, but the entire setup seems squarely aimed at a teenage demographic who will directly identify with all the things Mark's going through. I was ready to give it a miss after the first thirty minutes, not because I thought it wasn't fairly well-done, but because I just didn't have much interest in watching a generic teen superhero show.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I only rreally watched it because I knew it was famous for violence. I didn't know what level of violence or anything else really, but I knew the "generic superhero cartoon" vibe wouldn't last

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm mid-way through the last episode and I have to say Omni-man's heel turn seems off. He's such a good father to Mark and husband to Debbie. Like he came across as genuine and not someone "faking" it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm mid-way through the last episode and I have to say Omni-man's heel turn seems off. He's such a good father to Mark and husband to Debbie. Like he came across as genuine and not someone "faking" it.

It's like he's conflicted about his duty versus his family?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

LRADIKAL posted:

It's like he's conflicted about his duty versus his family?

It's still weird. Like it's not presented as someone who is trying to convince himself, but rather someone who never had such emotions to begin with.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's still weird. Like it's not presented as someone who is trying to convince himself, but rather someone who never had such emotions to begin with.

Almost as if lying to yourself isn't a thing anyone can do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Steven Yeun just got admitted to the Academy. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

Steven Yeun just got admitted to the Academy. Good for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k70xBg8en-4