Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Wanna turn it upside down and look for a secret message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1407151367467245569?s=19

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/emmagf/status/1407070361963880456

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

according to this video, the average American buys 66 garments a year

holy poo poo

I don't think I've bought that much in ten years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWHJ29-s4U

edit: also on average throwing away 81 loving pounds of clothes and textiles a year, wtf

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just get free clothes from my brother who is my height but keeps gaining weight

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Does that include individual sock and clothes for their kids?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Does that include individual sock and clothes for their kids?

It’s like booze and guns probably

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

actionjackson posted:

holy poo poo

I don't think I've bought that much in ten years

Underwear is a garment. I'd have thought most people would go through at least 60 underwears in 10 years. You nasty. j/k

Quality can be the difference. As a kid I was astounded to hear one of my mom's friends bought a pair of $80 shorts. They didn't look like anything, just long khaki shorts. WTF? I'd never even seen a pair of shorts for sale for more than $20 at the stores we shopped at. Of course the difference was that this lady expected her clothes to last 10+ years, and look the same all that time. The shorts my mom bought would look okay the first summer, shabby the second summer, and be falling apart and shameful by the third summer.

And those were the good old days. You can buy a cheap 'fast fashion' t-shirt from walmart and have it falling apart by the third wash. Inexpensive, but unlikely to survive 10 washes, never mind 10 years. Disposable clothing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA - Sibling's Service Dog is an aggressive dog who's constantly threatening our pug, and I am at wit's end

Bonus, in comments!

I've never heard of huskies being used as service dogs. A 2 year old unneutered service dog that doesn't obey commands sounds sus as hell to me.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Facebook Aunt posted:

Underwear is a garment. I'd have thought most people would go through at least 60 underwears in 10 years. You nasty. j/k

Quality can be the difference. As a kid I was astounded to hear one of my mom's friends bought a pair of $80 shorts. They didn't look like anything, just long khaki shorts. WTF? I'd never even seen a pair of shorts for sale for more than $20 at the stores we shopped at. Of course the difference was that this lady expected her clothes to last 10+ years, and look the same all that time. The shorts my mom bought would look okay the first summer, shabby the second summer, and be falling apart and shameful by the third summer.

And those were the good old days. You can buy a cheap 'fast fashion' t-shirt from walmart and have it falling apart by the third wash. Inexpensive, but unlikely to survive 10 washes, never mind 10 years. Disposable clothing.

Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Nastier Nate posted:

:hai:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

I’ve still goonfleet and eve fanfest tshirts from 2007 I wore all the time and they are definitely not expensively woven garments what are you talking about a tshirt is a tshirt and Ross is full of $60 button up shirts that just didn’t sell if you think msrp means something in Hell, where we are.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Jun 22, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wear t shirts I've had literally since 1988

like this POTC shirt my dad bought me at Disney World. poo poo still glows in the dark too it's wild.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I paid $120 for a pair of merrell shoes thinking terry pratchet was right, but the world fully moved on to abject Hell before he began to lose his cognition, and the shoes fell apart on me within a week.

I wore them to the tattoo shop three times and cut the grass with them once.

that commander vimes bullshit might be true on the discworld (it isn’t, see c.m.o.t. dibbler) but it sure as poo poo doesn’t hold weight on ours.

it’s more like a parabolic curve if you really give it some thought.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Jun 22, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My GF buys at least one new piece of clothing every week.

There's probably a huge gender gap in who is buying clothes and how often. I can't exactly blame women either, there's way more expected of them when it comes to clothes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

i am harry posted:

I’ve still goonfleet and eve fanfest tshirts from 2007 I wore all the time and they are definitely not expensively woven garments what are you talking about a tshirt is a tshirt and Ross is full of $60 button up shirts that just didn’t sell if you think msrp means something in Hell, where we are.

Uh, are you a boy? Go to the women's section at walmart and try to find a t-shirt that isn't translucent if you hold it up to the light because the fabric is so very thin -- they will definitely start showing holes in 10 washes. Around Christmas you can find shirts with sparkly bits on for parties and stuff that will literally start unravelling after being worn indoors for a few hours.

The stuff in the men's department is a little better.

People I know aren't throwing away 81 pounds of clothing and textiles a year, but what they do throw out is because it is falling apart, not because they are fashionistas. But apparently there are plenty of people who wear most purchases only once on purpose, because they like wearing new clothes. Disposable fast fashion is a plague.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

The Nastier Nate posted:

"Boots" Vimesy, of the Coup

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

i am harry posted:

ding ding ding

manufacturers will try to save fractions of a cent even on ridiculous designer shirts with stunt pricing. it's shareholder brain

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i am harry posted:

I paid $120 for a pair of merrell shoes thinking terry pratchet was right, but the world fully moved on to abject Hell before he began to lose his cognition, and the shoes fell apart on me within a week.

that commander vimes bullshit might be true on the discworld (it isn’t, see c.m.o.t. dibbler) but it sure as poo poo doesn’t hold weight on ours.

I've been wearing the same pair of waterproof sketchers for like four years. it's pretty lucky that the company that makes my weird rear end shoe size also happens to make indestructible tank shoes. I think they were like 60 bucks?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

My GF buys at least one new piece of clothing every week.

There's probably a huge gender gap in who is buying clothes and how often. I can't exactly blame women either, there's way more expected of them when it comes to clothes.
I was talking about services you can get (housecleaners, landscapers, etc.) with a couple of friends, and I mentioned not feeling justified in getting laundry service because it's relatively expensive and easy for me to do myself. The woman I was talking to asked "what do you do about garments with special wash instructions?" and all three of the dudes there were like "what do you do about what? We do not understand."

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

spacetoaster posted:

The one that loves war, corporations, the surveillance state, racism, and the destruction of the working class.

What's it called again?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Weatherman posted:

What's it called again?

The Democrats!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

love how it’s a never ending cycle of company gains reputation for quality despite its high price -> outsourced to china and now poo poo quality but same price and reputation, for a while

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, the never ending cycle of building a reputation, establishing a customer base, then immediately dismantling it pennies at a time is so frustrating.

Re: clothing: washing in cold water and hanging to dry 100% everything seems to be the key to having clothes last for a long time. I have friends who wash hot/ use the dryer and their poo poo doesn't seem to last very long.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
A solid reputation is just another piñata you can pop for fast cash. Especially likely if company gets a new CEO who needs to use One Weird Trick to make sure he (m/f) hits his idiotic growth targets to cash his fat bonus.

The weird trick is always some variant of burning the company down to the ground for short term gain.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i am harry posted:

Merrells went to poo poo like 5 years ago when they changed manufacturing away from Vietnam.

Solomons are where it's really at, they're worth the money. I used to buy Merrell Bare Access, which would be shredded in 6-8 months. Bought a pair of Solomon Speedcross 3s on clearance, wore the hell out of them for a year and a half, bought Speedcross 4s to replace them, then 5s to replace those.

The Speedcrosses are like mild cleats, so they'll snag long carpet and they're effectively ice skates in the winter. Fit's great, materials hold up, worth the money.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/EldRynPhoenix/status/1407210945684946944

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jazerus posted:

anyone who purchases a $3000 treadmill deserves to be grifted

Don't be silly, that's an absurd price to pay.

The one that chews children up the worst is actually the $5000 model.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Merrells went to poo poo like 5 years ago when they changed manufacturing away from Vietnam.

Solomons are where it's really at, they're worth the money. I used to buy Merrell Bare Access, which would be shredded in 6-8 months. Bought a pair of Solomon Speedcross 3s on clearance, wore the hell out of them for a year and a half, bought Speedcross 4s to replace them, then 5s to replace those.

The Speedcrosses are like mild cleats, so they'll snag long carpet and they're effectively ice skates in the winter. Fit's great, materials hold up, worth the money.

salomon makes good hiking and trail shoes as well. every pair I've owned has lasted until I literally wore holes into the soles

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, everything I've bought from Solomon has held up very well. I chewed through probably 3 pairs of Merrells before I paid the extra $30~ for a pair of Speedcrosses, and they just take abuse. And the fit is so goddamn good and comfortable.

I have one pair of Merrells yet, a pair of winter slip ons that get poo poo for mileage, which are garbage compared to the previous version. A very noticeable decline in quality. They likely won't survive another winter, goddamn trash.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

i am harry posted:

I had a pair of Merell's fall apart like that, and I emailed them to complain and they sent me a new pair of a more expensive model, which has been fine since then.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got two fancy polos for my birthday that were $90 each a while back and they've been amazing

pima cotton so it can't shrink in the dryer like regular cotton

all the polos I've gotten at gap, j crew etc. have started fraying pretty quickly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gap clothes are garbage.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

gap clothes are garbage.

yeah not just that, but several other similar stores, some of which are owned by the same company, like as I said j crew, also BR, express, etc.

I'll prob only go to this super bougie store or nordstroms in the future

wearing falling apart shirts has been fine during covid :)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I haven't bought clothes outside of a Costco in like 5 years at least.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yes I meant Gap as in the whole Corp with all its lifestyle brands

their jeans are in particular absolute poo poo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1407345238214156292?s=20

lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

yes I meant Gap as in the whole Corp with all its lifestyle brands

their jeans are in particular absolute poo poo

I buy one pair of really nice denim every couple years, like APC. the pair I got 3-4 years ago finally got a tiny hole, which I will just get patched. I'm just going to get all my denim repaired when needed. 200 bucks for something that I wear several times a week for many years seems like a pretty good deal, and they fit way better than most jeans.

content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-cP1prsBIo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just want to say that I really enjoy your avatar :)

edit: I would LOVE if they had little bungalow court home like this in my city, it'd be perfect for me

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angeles/1142-S-Oxford-Ave-90006/home/6909862

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

actionjackson posted:

I buy one pair of really nice denim every couple years, like APC. the pair I got 3-4 years ago finally got a tiny hole, which I will just get patched. I'm just going to get all my denim repaired when needed. 200 bucks for something that I wear several times a week for many years seems like a pretty good deal, and they fit way better than most jeans.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to repair denim yourself. I've got a few pairs of nicer old jeans that I patched up with cannibalized crappy jeans for patches. With a ruler and chalk pencils you can even go for a decorative look.