Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What I find patronising is when I'm offered an apprenticeship for an entry level role. Firstly, you're a cheapass oval office. Secondly, you don't need a BTEC Level 2 to move poo poo in a warehouse, and you don't need two years to study for a Level 2. Either admit you're a cheapass oval office, or admit your evaluation of me is someone who needs two years to be taught how to move boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's specifically it, yeah. I'm sure someone actually explained that ITT a while ago, that healthcare providers have found that using the slightly childish terms like "tummy", "poo", etc tends to both be a lot less ambiguous for the patient and also helps break down that fear of talking to them if you're worried you might not know the exact terms.

I do remember a doctor in another forum saying they always knew they were in for a hard time if a patient used actual medical terms in their first meeting because it generally meant they'd been consulting Doctor Google and would need a lot of persuading that their pain was actually just indigestion and not a disease normally only found in the tribes of the Upper Limpopo Valley.

lol I am extremely bad for this

EDIT ask me about the one weird trick as to why I have pernicious anaemia, doctors hate it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I find patronizing is when medical receptionists say "Doctor will see you now" or "Nurse will see you now" not "The doctor" or "A doctor" etc.
Russian doesn't have any definite or indefinite articles, and Leicestershire English managed to phase half of them out.

I'm going left, I'm going right, I'm going toilet, I'm going second floor.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Discussing bog roll with a couple of other Brits in the presence of some Americans who were mightily confused and thought we were talking about some sort of bread roll.
:dafuq:

Well you know the reputation of british food.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's specifically it, yeah. I'm sure someone actually explained that ITT a while ago, that healthcare providers have found that using the slightly childish terms like "tummy", "poo", etc tends to both be a lot less ambiguous for the patient and also helps break down that fear of talking to them if you're worried you might not know the exact terms.

I do remember a doctor in another forum saying they always knew they were in for a hard time if a patient used actual medical terms in their first meeting because it generally meant they'd been consulting Doctor Google and would need a lot of persuading that their pain was actually just indigestion and not a disease normally only found in the tribes of the Upper Limpopo Valley.

When I was in hospital a few years ago I got a letter summarising my treatment afterwards which specifically mentioned how I was admitted with pain in my tummy and thought they were deliberately taking the piss.

I'd had a letter from my doctor when I was in my mid 20s addressed to 'Master Shyrka' and I sent them a snippy email back saying I'm not a child so it should be Mr so I figured someone put a note on my file specifically saying to use infantilising language.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shyrka posted:

When I was in hospital a few years ago I got a letter summarising my treatment afterwards which specifically mentioned how I was admitted with pain in my tummy and thought they were deliberately taking the piss.

I'd had a letter from my doctor when I was in my mid 20s addressed to 'Master Shyrka' and I sent them a snippy email back saying I'm not a child so it should be Mr so I figured someone put a note on my file specifically saying to use infantilising language.

poo poo, are post histories part of our medical records now?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shyrka posted:

"Ickle Shyrka got a bad boo boo in their tummy, but clever Doctor made it all better."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why did Master become the juvenile version of Mister? One makes me think

and the other

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I was going to mention the medial one too. There's different registers of weird language I think.

You've got headlinese which is horrible and there's no excuse for it. If your headlines are confusing, misleading, clickbaity, ambiguous (crash blossoms), or full of weird words nobody uses, then they are doing a bad job of what headlines are (should be) for and you have failed.

Then you have plain-English medical, which is cool and good because as mentioned, it removes ambiguity and makes things accessible. What good is an NHS page on a set of symptoms if people (inc native English speakers) read "if you have tenderness or nodules in your abdomen when you palpate it, do not worry, it's probably idiopathic abdominal cystitis media, but if you notice haematuria or loose stool, see your GP", and think "well that's fine, I don't have any of those body parts and my chairs are all tightly screwed together". That's dangerous.

Then you have brands trying to talk normal, like Barclays (?) writing "hole in the wall" on their cash machines. To paraphrase Homer in a less homophobic context, "that's our word for making fun of you!" - it's cringey and weird when they use it. You're a bank, talk like a bank - clearly but formally.

I believe the anti-"jab" people feel it falls into the last of these, rather than the medical one.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I find patronizing is when medical receptionists say "Doctor will see you now" or "Nurse will see you now" not "The doctor" or "A doctor" etc.

"The" is implied in these sentences

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Then you have plain-English medical, which is cool and good because as mentioned, it removes ambiguity and makes things accessible. What good is an NHS page on a set of symptoms if people (inc native English speakers) read "if you have tenderness or nodules in your abdomen when you palpate it, do not worry, it's probably idiopathic abdominal cystitis media, but if you notice haematuria or loose stool, see your GP", and think "well that's fine, I don't have any of those body parts and my chairs are all tightly screwed together". That's dangerous.
It is good, but managing that inclusively is challenging though, and that's before you get the people who claim that "people who menstruate" is a plot to eradicate all women with Jewish space lasers or whatever.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Isomermaid posted:

The tax was on the number of bricks, was what I heard, and they started making bigger bricks to cover the same area and still pay the same tax. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_tax Seems to mention the same thing about the bigger bricks being made specifically for this reason but it's Wikipedia and tbh everything you say makes sense. You're the person who knows this stuff so I'll defer to you here!

There was a tax on windows too, up to Elizabethan times. So much so that people would take the windows with them if they moved.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've half an idea for a blog or a podcasr, maybe a THAT FUCKER JAGO HAZZARD style video series, so thought I'd bounce it off my test audience here.

"Crossroads of History" - yes I know it's a poo poo name* but the concept intrigues me. Basically, tell local history through the history of a specific junction. By necessity it won't be something that can be easily themed, but that's sort of the point - the theme is actually just how weirdly diverse the local history of an area can be, by rooting it in a purely physical space rather than trying to stretch the physical to meet a concept.

The thought came to me this morning as I crossed Sidney Street at the junction with Whitechapel Road. Standing in the middle of the junction... well that would get you killed, but *conceptually* standing in the middle of the junction and you've got ridiculous amounts of history in literally every direction. To the northwest you have the Blind Beggar. Now the Krays bore the arse off me, frankly, but the name of the pub itself is a fantastic bit of local folklore. I can't be bothered going through every compass point but believe me, from the Sally Army to Winston Churchill almost getting shot by anarchists, believe me there's a lot going on.

My thinking is that limiting my scope in that way hopefully avoids the sprawl of my other projects which ends up demoralising me - it also removes what feels like the imposition on the reader/listener/viewer to actually go to the place or even to know they *might* be interested in it. Like if there's any actual lesson from the reception my random braindumps get is that - for the most part - most people don't even know they're interested in something until I start blathering on, and really all of my projects to this point have actually just been thinly-veiled excuses to dump this stuff rather than just saying "here's some poo poo I know".

However I still feel like I need *some* kind of excuse, if only to anchor myself and stop running off on completely pointless tangents.

Anyway, what do you think? Too contrived? Too limiting, in that it basically restricts me entirely to local history (unless I get particularly lucky)? The literal greatest idea in history?

* Originally thought "Up The Junction" but then someone would insist I'd do either Clapham Junction or Deptford and bollocks to South London, although now I think of it I *could* do one about Blackheath, where Squeeze first formed...

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"Doctor will see you now"
lol you reminded me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNpUYzMSeAs&t=36s

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/StefGotBooted/status/1407352801596948480

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Then you have brands trying to talk normal, like Barclays (?) writing "hole in the wall" on their cash machines.

This was a specific branding attempt - nobody says "ATM", there's a weird prejudice against the term "cash machine" (presumably a hangover from the days when all they did was dispense cash) and "cashpoint" is a trademark of Lloyds Bank, who opened the first ATM in the world (although there are a couple of other claimants for the title) at Enfield, of all places.

The thinking was that they could have their own brand for their ATMs it would both do... whatever it is branding people think branding does, but more importantly emphasise that almost all banking facilities were actually available from them (except nowadays we've swing back the other way and cash deposits are generally their own thing again), discouraging people from going into the branch itself and using up expensive staff.

As always with marketers you're never sure if they were unaware of the origin of the term (a notorious gang in the Wild West), knew about it but hoped we didn't, or knew about it and thought they were being really, really clever by sneaking the reference in.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

poo poo, are post histories part of our medical records now?

Submit it when the doctor asks for your stool sample.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyway, what do you think? Too contrived? Too limiting, in that it basically restricts me entirely to local history (unless I get particularly lucky)? The literal greatest idea in history?
I like it. Alan Moore had a similar idea only with Northampton, and because its Alan Moore his whack at it stretches from local lore all the way to the cosmic. Obviously thats not the scope you're aiming for, but if you're sticking to small locations or specific areas its surprising just how many stories, themes and patterns emerge.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well you know the reputation of british food.

'British food bad lol' is one of the dumbest very common takes, and I'm convinced it's entirely based on anecdotes from people who went to a chain pub in central London on their holidays and ordered some godawful plate of fish and chips or something for £14.

I am loathe to praise the UK for anything but if anyone is going to tell me that shepherd's pie, (good, non-pub) fish and chips, sunday roasts, steak and ale pie, sausage and mash etc etc etc are just by definition poo poo I'm going to call them an idiot, and that's just the stuff you can get anywhere. Our desserts are loving A across the board - yes, even spotted dick - and we have some amazing meats and a million types of great beer, and they'll kill me for saying it but I genuinely think the UK has the best cheese game in Europe, even better than France or Italy. I don't even really understand the part where they say we can't season. Sure, we don't use chillis or many spices, but there's a lot you can do with a good variety of herbs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As always with marketers you're never sure if they were unaware of the origin of the term (a notorious gang in the Wild West), knew about it but hoped we didn't, or knew about it and thought they were being really, really clever by sneaking the reference in.
I think the gang was named after the place in Wyoming where they operated, which in turn was based on a secluded or out of the way saloon or restaurant (such as in an alleyway), which in turn was based on Victorian fast food vendors sometimes literally being a hole in the wall where you hand over money and get food.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've half an idea for a blog or a podcasr, maybe a THAT FUCKER JAGO HAZZARD style video series, so thought I'd bounce it off my test audience here.

"Crossroads of History" - yes I know it's a poo poo name* but the concept intrigues me. Basically, tell local history through the history of a specific junction. By necessity it won't be something that can be easily themed, but that's sort of the point - the theme is actually just how weirdly diverse the local history of an area can be, by rooting it in a purely physical space rather than trying to stretch the physical to meet a concept.

The thought came to me this morning as I crossed Sidney Street at the junction with Whitechapel Road. Standing in the middle of the junction... well that would get you killed, but *conceptually* standing in the middle of the junction and you've got ridiculous amounts of history in literally every direction. To the northwest you have the Blind Beggar. Now the Krays bore the arse off me, frankly, but the name of the pub itself is a fantastic bit of local folklore. I can't be bothered going through every compass point but believe me, from the Sally Army to Winston Churchill almost getting shot by anarchists, believe me there's a lot going on.

My thinking is that limiting my scope in that way hopefully avoids the sprawl of my other projects which ends up demoralising me - it also removes what feels like the imposition on the reader/listener/viewer to actually go to the place or even to know they *might* be interested in it. Like if there's any actual lesson from the reception my random braindumps get is that - for the most part - most people don't even know they're interested in something until I start blathering on, and really all of my projects to this point have actually just been thinly-veiled excuses to dump this stuff rather than just saying "here's some poo poo I know".

However I still feel like I need *some* kind of excuse, if only to anchor myself and stop running off on completely pointless tangents.

* Originally thought "Up The Junction" but then someone would insist I'd do either Clapham Junction or Deptford and bollocks to South London, although now I think of it I *could* do one about Blackheath, where Squeeze first formed...

I really like Jago Hazzard's videos, and the bits on Alexei Sayle's bike ride vlogs where he talked about the areas he was cycling through were interesting too - so I'd be super interested in this. It doesn't really just restrict you to local history IMHO, since you could talk about the buildings that you could see, their architecture or materials and go off on tangents about idk bricks or building methods in the early 18th century nspired by the things at that, that would be more than just local history or tagging famous people who had had things happen to them near the crossroads.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

North Manchester a bread roll is a muffin, yes.
I find that incredibly patronising when people go somewhere and instead of going 'oh ha ha, you do things differently here,' they get agressively defensive over the way they do things.

Which is the entirety of British foreign policy.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

It is good, but managing that inclusively is challenging though, and that's before you get the people who claim that "people who menstruate" is a plot to eradicate all women with Jewish space lasers or whatever.

Oh yes, totally that too. And this is a situation where simplification and education need to meet in the middle (which is, after all, where the truth is located). People need to be taught to refer to their body parts accurately. Reminds me of a story I've seen in a couple of permutations, (spoilered for child sexual abuse) where a young girl reports her her uncle doing something with her cookie, and the teacher laughs it off, then later the child refers to her vulva as her cookie and the teacher has an "oh poo poo" moment. One of those horrible stories that's probably both an urban legend and has also happened :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that's the kind of thing that really pisses me off when people claim that sex ed is "sexualizing kids" and take individual sentences out of context to prove that there's a vast pedophile conspiracy.

No you stupid pricks, they're not making kids less ashamed of sexual terms to have sex with them, they're doing it so that kids who are being pressured into things know that they're not the bad ones and also these are the resources that you can contact. (And also so that they can make healthier choices when they are older, which the same smoothbrains call 'spoiling the mystery'.)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Ugh yes that. "Sex ed teaches 5 year olds about anal sex!!!!" - reality: there is a new sex ed program, that starts at age 5 with consent and touching and names for things, and also includes education on anal sex much later.

Especially bad because teaching 5 year olds that if adults do XYZ that's bad and you should tell person A, who will believe you and take you seriously, must be much more effective at preventing paedophiles than keeping kids inside because of ~~stranger danger~~.

---

Random word use that annoys me*: "drop(ped)". If I read "GamesCompany just dropped their latest FPS", I'm not thinking "woohoo it's released", I'm thinking "oh no what went wrong?". Very confusing. Phrased as "new type of koala just dropped" is at least less ambiguous.

*I'm wary of being an old man yelling at a cloud on language, because so often it's an African American word/phrase that's been nicked and run into the ground by white people. No idea if that's the case here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Why did Master become the juvenile version of Mister? One makes me think

and the other

I occasionally got called master when I were a kid, but I assume it dates back to like, feudal days where you have "the young master" as the son of the local lord or whatever.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

When did this thread become "Old men shouting at clouds"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How far the mighty have fallen.

https://twitter.com/MoneyTelegraph/status/1406918605753794560

Once he was superman, now he's... ming the merciless or something??

Won't somebody think of the poor people earning three times the national average.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/MoneyTelegraph/status/1406918607276285953

ONLY EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS TAX FREE

HAVE YOU NO HEART MR SUNAK?? WHAT OF MY POOR IMPOVERISHED CHILDREN?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd love to know what the gently caress is going on in the Labour party right now.

I'm sure it's even stupider than anything we can imagine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Superman, Ming the Merciless, and a 35-year-old earning £60,000 walk into a bar.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I would read it (and possibly go to the actual place once I'm double-5G'd)

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Apologies for Torygraph, but:

@John Blake:
"Touch my pension fund and I will vote Labour. I have done everything you asked of me: saved diligently, got married and had 2.2. kids etc. And now you want to penalise me? Just you dare."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

'British food bad lol' is one of the dumbest very common takes, and I'm convinced it's entirely based on anecdotes from people who went to a chain pub in central London on their holidays and ordered some godawful plate of fish and chips or something for £14.

I am loathe to praise the UK for anything but if anyone is going to tell me that shepherd's pie, (good, non-pub) fish and chips, sunday roasts, steak and ale pie, sausage and mash etc etc etc are just by definition poo poo I'm going to call them an idiot, and that's just the stuff you can get anywhere. Our desserts are loving A across the board - yes, even spotted dick - and we have some amazing meats and a million types of great beer, and they'll kill me for saying it but I genuinely think the UK has the best cheese game in Europe, even better than France or Italy. I don't even really understand the part where they say we can't season. Sure, we don't use chillis or many spices, but there's a lot you can do with a good variety of herbs.

When it comes to Americans at least dissing British food, they are dissing British food circa 1950 (which was pretty terrible tbf) while ignoring the fact that non-ethnic American food at the exact same time was just as bad. Same as how they think we all still ride horse carriages through the London smog while Jack the Ripper lurks the streets.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

Thing about British food is, it's generally simple stuff, so good British food relies on starting off with good ingredients & putting some time & skill into them. Good ingredients, time, and skill are all expensive, so most places that sell British food are total shite. Even the decent places tend to be nowhere near as good as homemade, if you know what you're doing & put the work in. That's my theory on why people think our food is bad.

(Fish & chips are a different issue, we all know that every town has exactly one good chippy and like half a dozen poo poo ones, & bad fish & chips are bad)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

'and they'll kill me for saying it but I genuinely think the UK has the best cheese game in Europe, even better than France or Italy. I don't even really understand the part where they say we can't season. Sure, we don't use chillis or many spices, but there's a lot you can do with a good variety of herbs.

Lmao just lmao

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

don’t agree with the cheeses but yeah there’s some good food out there in ol blighty, unfortunately some of the good stuff just won’t pass the “ick” test eg tripe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

(Fish & chips are a different issue, we all know that every town has exactly one good chippy and like half a dozen poo poo ones, & bad fish & chips are bad)

Oddly my experience is generally that all the chippies are good but some of them are more expensive than others. One of the annoying things about going to whitby is I have to pay eight quid for what I could get for five in redcar.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jel Shaker posted:

don’t agree with the cheeses but yeah there’s some good food out there in ol blighty, unfortunately some of the good stuff just won’t pass the “ick” test eg tripe

Eh, there's some very nice cheddars out there. I'm partial to Black Bomber.

No need to limit yourself to just eating British food though, you can get a nice baked Camembert to dip crusty bread into or whatever if that's your jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Black Bomber is fantastic (all of the Snowdonia Cheese stuff is, in fact), but there are also very many good cheeses that are not cheddars

Most of them are just like farmers market stuff that doesn't make it into the supermarkets though, so not really a fair comparison to foreign stuff, I haven't been to many Italian farmers' markets. Few French ones, & I've had better & worse cheeses in British ones :shrug:

OwlFancier posted:

Oddly my experience is generally that all the chippies are good but some of them are more expensive than others. One of the annoying things about going to whitby is I have to pay eight quid for what I could get for five in redcar.
All towns have exactly one good chippy, apart from Redcar & Whitby, which apparently don't