Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

rick being unable to "deus ex machina this poo poo and go home" seems a nice way to counteract the hyperpowered author stand-in part of his character, which I've wanted to see for a while, so hopefully it sticks in some meaningful way

also "don't loving establish canonical backstory with ME you Red Lobst-" made me laugh pretty hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

One of the alternate reality crystals is of Doc and Mharti:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Only thing that bothered me is that it seemed like they were gonna actually do something with Jessica to introduce her into the main crew and their shenanigans, and then they wrote her out as some monotone lifeless sci-fi cliche, other than that, great episode.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At this point Jessica might as well go off and star in a Matt Groening show for all they're doing with her.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I appreciate that they directly called out Jessica's clichéd role in the story and gave her something new to be in the future

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They did do something with Jessica, they spelled out the entire conceit of the character, Jessica acknowledges that she's not a character on her own but rather foil for Morty's romantic interest, a position which she rejects (ambiguously) by the end of the episode; I thought it was fine, she's still mostly a plot device but now she had an opportunity to reflect on that and reject it. It's good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
American Dad has a similar need for plot device girls that the loser teen wants to date and does it much better by just making a new character every time they need that plot point.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The premiere might be one of my favorite episodes. The line deliveries were all perfect and Mr Nimbus as a horny(er) Namor who controls the police through his dick is classic R&M absurdity.

I like that everyone is sort of a little bit over the novelty of sci-fi rigamarole and “just murder the gently caress out of everyone” is a solution to problems.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

MadJackal posted:

The premiere might be one of my favorite episodes. The line deliveries were all perfect and Mr Nimbus as a horny(er) Namor who controls the police through his dick is classic R&M absurdity.

I like that everyone is sort of a little bit over the novelty of sci-fi rigamarole and “just murder the gently caress out of everyone” is a solution to problems.

Yeah, the blasé way Morty went about tooling up to take out Narnia was great.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“C’mon Narnia, let’s loving go!” was an excellent read

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I did like how the society had several crisis of faith moments where they wondered if the door was even real to begin with

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoutPatrol posted:

what do you think the inception episode was?

episode was middling but I liked the idea of a robot going "why did I give myself genitals"

That at least had scary terry

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Not the best, but pretty good. Also interested to see where the writers take the newly enlightened Jessica.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

90s Solo Cup posted:

Not the best, but pretty good. Also interested to see where the writers take the newly enlightened Jessica.

Just don't make her another Tammy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

90s Solo Cup posted:

They might just send her upstairs, à la Family Matters.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Great ep, better than almost anything I remember from Season 4

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Isn’t the portal dimension a ripoff of the alien portal invaders in invincible? At least R&M did something more interesting with it.

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 22, 2021

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

Isn’t the portal dimension a ripoff of the alien portal invaders in invincible? At least R&M did something more interesting with it.

Nah, that’s a pretty common trope in sci-fi. There are tons of stories that deal with time dilation

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kwatz posted:

Nah, that’s a pretty common trope in sci-fi. There are tons of stories that deal with time dilation

They even specifically call out Narnia as the obvious famous version of it

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I thought that was just a reference to the portal to another world thing. Didn’t know this was a common thing, mb.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Seemed fine to me. Not perfect, but no dragon

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I thought this show was kind of losing it's touch, I'll admit.

Then they made an entire episode spoofing my favorite comic character.

That was my favorite episode ever, no kidding.

The subplots were great too.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing I really love about this show is that we’ve really hit the South Park stride where it seems fully unconcerned with winning anyone over. Season 5 seems pretty out of the gate to be for people who are fans of the show, fans of silly sci-fi deconstruction. If you aren’t on the train by now, they obviously don’t care, and I think shows like this work better when they are just for the fans.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I feel like they've done the whole "Rick/Morty alters the natural progression of a civilization" gimmick multiple times before but it's a good one. They really botched the Namor parody by not having him be constantly horny for Beth.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

American Dad has a similar need for plot device girls that the loser teen wants to date and does it much better by just making a new character every time they need that plot point.

hell, American dad is so committed to that bit that sometimes the characters do it in-universe

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hakkesshu posted:

They really botched the Namor parody by not having him be constantly horny for Beth.

He was constantly horny for everything, which also fits Namor very well (who doesn't discriminate even based on species and has hosed more then one eldritch monster). Besides, I bet he was constantly horny for Diane.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Season 5 seems pretty out of the gate to be for people who are fans of the show, fans of silly sci-fi deconstruction.

Silly sci-fi deconstruction mixed with (sometimes emotional) family dynamics and intermittent existential crisis is why I like this show, and this episode hit every nail in that regard.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed the subversion of A/B plot expectations. I really thought Morty's thing with the wine was going to be a minor plot point but it ended up being the entire A-plot, where they used Mr. Nimbus just sparingly enough for me to want to see him again someday.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DarkCrawler posted:

He was constantly horny for everything, which also fits Namor very well (who doesn't discriminate even based on species and has hosed more then one eldritch monster).

But not redheads. Ick!

EDIT:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 22, 2021

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I hope Beth and Jerry enjoyed it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Depends on if you believe it's about the motion in the ocean

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Depends on if you believe it's about the motion in the ocean

No saying about dick size not mattering is true.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 22, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Gerry being a goofy bisexual dork that has hooked up with brain parasites, psychic aliens, and fish men over the course of the show is increasingly funny to me

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Honestly, whoever wrote the episode must be a huge Namor fan. The more I think about it, the more they nailed his (worst?) traits:

Loses his poo poo before anyone even thinks about dropping a hat

Wears loving ridiculous clothing

Constantly refers to himself in third person

Rides really weird-rear end ocean things and they are also his weird-rear end posse

Fucks anyone and anything that moves

Threatens to flood poo poo when he loses his poo poo (poor New York)

Narcissist to a Trumpian degree

Hates (but maybe can't live without) a scientist named RICHARD(SS!) but respects their wife. Though obviously Richard's nemesis is DOOM. Namor and Doom have a bizarre loving relationship and Doom is - no kidding - super-duper in love with Namor so maybe Rick is both Reed AND Doom...oh God I went on a tangent, I am just so happy that someone did Namor right

Is kinda stuck doing the same thing over and over again

Helps his enemies when he feels like it for shits and giggles

Is a cold-rear end dick killer

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Solar Opposites got renewed for a fourth season. Show's not as groundbreaking as R&M, but it's a delight and glad to see it'll keep going.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This popped out to me as a little Prince homage. It's not 100% but it's almost there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

Solar Opposites got renewed for a fourth season. Show's not as groundbreaking as R&M, but it's a delight and glad to see it'll keep going.

Wow, I had forgotten this was even a thing. I'm legit surprised to see it has 3 seasons worth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Wow, I had forgotten this was even a thing. I'm legit surprised to see it has 3 seasons worth.

It's only got 2 seasons out right now. Hulu's renewing it ahead of time.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The second season of Solar Opposites was better than the first, for what it's worth.

I really liked the season premiere but that might be directly related to how familiar you are with Namor and appreciate Namor specific satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Apparently Mr. Nimbus got his name from a controller.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQcBh7pjecO/