Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

readingatwork posted:

This is probably a good thread to ask stupid questions in!

First off, what's a good cat-safe bug spray that doesn't contain permethrin? Or is it fine and I just need to make sure I shower before I do anything around the house?

Second, I'm interested in trying out backpacking next year and while I'm not planning on going anywhere particularly remote or exotic I'm wondering if I should invest in classes since I don't have a lot of experience. If so are there any particularly strong recommendations on that front? Also, once i know what I'm doing how safe is it to do alone? A ask because there's a decent chance I won't be able to drag any of my friends along what with it being outdoors and all (you lazy bums! :argh:).

Welcome! There’s a lot of knowledgeable goons in here that can definitely help answer any questions you have :eng101:

For my take, Permethrin or Picaridin is better on clothes. You can treat your clothes, and once they dry they should be safe around cats (I still keep mine in a plastic container with my camping gear though). I think Picaridin is more effective overall, and for your skin I’ve always just used stuff like eucalyptus or natural bug spray if I do bother. Typically what I’ve found is that when you get away from heavily trafficked areas, skeeters and briars are much much less awful. And since mosquitoes are more active in the evenings, a good campfire is usually a good deterrent.

Backpacking is fantastic! You should absolutely check it out! You don’t need any classes though, if anything watch a few YouTube videos for ideas on what to expect and we can help recommend or critique gear or packing. There’s a bunch of good channels, one of the ones I like is Adventure Archives on YouTube.

As far as safety goes, I’ve never had any issues, but I’m a sasquatch sized dude, so my perception may != reality. I often base camp and leave my gear set up, because once you get 2+ miles from a trailhead the number of people drastically drops and usually most people doing that much are more interested in being outside in nature than being a dick to others or stealing poo poo. Law of averages though, and not every wilderness area is the same. I just lock my car doors at the trailhead and make sure there’s nothing visible or of value in there, and never had an issue.

The AT for instance, generally has a good community and there are very few issues with the thousands of people that do it every year. I think a few years back there was a stabbing, but the dude was legit crazy and everyone kind of knew there were some problems for a long time with him.

I personally really like the social aspect of camping, and help run a regional meetup group for people looking to get outside. Have met nothing but the nicest people the past 5 years I’ve been doing it. I had one issue with a dude being racist and a dick, and we banned him. Otherwise generally great people. You might check meetup or facebook groups, or the sierra club for an older crowd if you want to find other like minded peeps to go with. Usually other people have awesome ideas or gear and it’s great to get out with others. Depends on your tolerance for meeting randos from the Internet though, but a lot of times groups will post day hikes and stuff, and you can get to know people before doing overnight stuff. I got started with a local meetup group doing weekly fitness hikes at a metro park, and learned about other groups through word of mouth.

As far as gear goes, your local REI might rent stuff, or they usually have solid deals on good quality beginner bundles (tent + pad + sleeping bag). I’d recommend not skimping on stuff like a footwear, tent, pad, sleeping bag, and backpack. Let us know what you’re looking for, and we can recommend stuff. There’s also an out of date OP I slabbed together with some thoughts and recommendations as well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Second, I'm interested in trying out backpacking next year and while I'm not planning on going anywhere particularly remote or exotic I'm wondering if I should invest in classes since I don't have a lot of experience. If so are there any particularly strong recommendations on that front? Also, once i know what I'm doing how safe is it to do alone? A ask because there's a decent chance I won't be able to drag any of my friends along what with it being outdoors and all (you lazy bums! :argh:).

You shouldn’t go out on your own until you have gone with an experienced person several times, and even then it can be quite a risk. Also, your first solo outing should be an overnighter.

I’ve played guide a bunch for my friends and even after a few multi day trips I do not trust any of them to survive on their own. It would be a total disaster

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

readingatwork posted:

This is probably a good thread to ask stupid questions in!

Do it.

Rent great first if possible. You might not enjoy backpacking and the gear adds up quickly even if you get cheap stuff to start out with. Plus you'll get a sense of how certain products work. Also, try to avoid buying dirt cheap stuff to start out with. It's super tempting but it often gets replaced eventually anyway. It won't be enjoyable to carry and may hurt your experience.

Hiking alone isn't much more dangerous but the biggest threat is not having someone to help if you get hurt. I would suggest to start day hiking alone first and then build up to an overnight for your comfort and experience.

As for friends/trying backpacking, look at REI outings (if you have an REI nearby) go to your local brick and mortar outdoor store if you have one and ask questions about group trips etc. You can also call your local ranger station of a nearby state park/national park/forest and they bought know of some hiking communities to put you in contact with. Lastly you could look to a trail organization and volunteer to do some trail repair/work and meet like-minded folks there. Or Meetup ..

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Good advice all around. Thanks everybody!

Verman posted:

As for friends/trying backpacking, look at REI outings (if you have an REI nearby) go to your local brick and mortar outdoor store if you have one and ask questions about group trips etc. You can also call your local ranger station of a nearby state park/national park/forest and they bought know of some hiking communities to put you in contact with. Lastly you could look to a trail organization and volunteer to do some trail repair/work and meet like-minded folks there. Or Meetup ..

Ooh that's a good idea. There's an REI like 10 minutes from my house so I'll check it out at some point.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

readingatwork posted:

If you are around the Los Angeles metropolitan area, I highly recommend the Sierra Club's Wilderness Travel Course if you really want to take a class. It's volunteer-led and features practical application of everything you learn in the class. Part of the graduation requirements (when I took the course) involved going on multi-day group backpacking trips, and I got to go to Mt. Davis (in the golden trout area) and Joshua Tree. It's a real investment of time, though. But the practical application of knowledge and group camaraderie were nice.

https://www.wildernesstravelcourse.org/

OSU_Matthew posted:

You might check meetup or facebook groups, or the sierra club for an older crowd if you want to find other like minded peeps to go with. Usually other people have awesome ideas or gear and it’s great to get out with others. Depends on your tolerance for meeting randos from the Internet though, but a lot of times groups will post day hikes and stuff, and you can get to know people before doing overnight stuff. I got started with a local meetup group doing weekly fitness hikes at a metro park, and learned about other groups through word of mouth.

This is great stuff. I should do more backpacking in groups this year if I can find the time.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You shouldn’t go out on your own until you have gone with an experienced person several times, and even then it can be quite a risk. Also, your first solo outing should be an overnighter.

I’ve played guide a bunch for my friends and even after a few multi day trips I do not trust any of them to survive on their own. It would be a total disaster

i don't... entirely disagree, but i think it also depends a lot on where you'll be going, how much hiking/camping you've done in the past, research, etc. an overnighter is definitely the right choice for your first time but it's not like there's a different kind of walking involved or something

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

For your first time, it’s certainly really helpful to go with someone who has some experience, but I wouldn’t let it stop you. Knowing how to read a map is the most important thing, and a topo map is a really great tool if you have one. Your phone is not a map (but can be helpful if to have something like alltrails and the area downloaded) If you’re on a well marked trail in a popular area and can read the map, understand some landmarks, know about blazes, you’re good. 110% depends on the area and park.

I would absolutely try an overnighter, and someplace probably within a mile of the car, even if it’s down the trail a mile and back. Heck, even your backyard is a good place to start and make sure you know how to set up your gear and everything works. Sleeping outside is very different temperature wise than inside, and it’s nice to have an fallback if something goes wrong. Every trip is a good learning experience about your limits, interests, and gear to tweak.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I also agree it’s fine to go by yourself the first time if you do an adequate amount of research / planning. Give yourself a large margin for error in terms of length of hike in, weather forecast, overnight low temperature, food, etc. And know what kind of hazards you might encounter like bears, thunderstorms, and so on.

A backyard test run of your gear is a great idea too.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Anachronist posted:

A backyard test run of your gear is a great idea too.

..or even multiple. Pitch your tent and sleeping gear. Make lunch on your cooker. It's always a great idea to be familiar with your gear before you have to use it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I might have missing someone saying it, but:

Always tell someone where you're going and when you plan to return. This is always a good idea, but doubly important if you're going alone. Make sure it's someone you can trust.

This isn't even just for overnight trips. It takes us almost zero effort to text my dad each week to let him know the trail we're hiking and roughly when we'll return. The few times we've forgotten to let him know we're back, he'll text to check in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One thing I do is write my intended destination and the dates on a post it note then stick it to the interior door handle of my car. I fold it over so you can't read it from the outside, but my theory is if someone notices a car sitting there for an extended period eventually the officials will check it out and there's a little nugget of information there so the crew hunting for my mangled corpse has less terrain to cover.

I don't consider it a safety measure, especially if it's a hiking area that has registration at the trailhead, but since I do a lot of BLM strolls I figure every little thing might make someone's job easier.

"Real" safety is carrying an inreach and letting people you know exactly what your plan is. And not being a dingus on the trail.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A bunch of the trails around here have guest books at the trail head. Write down your contact info and your expected return date and the rangers check it regularly.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

There are a few parks around here that have walk-in campsites that are a nice dry run if you’re unfamiliar with backpacking. They’re technically car camping sites (most are 500-1000 feet away from the parking area, people usually just bring a wagon to lug their junk) but it’s easy to use it as babby’s first backpack to dial in your gear and see what you forget. It’s also trivial to bail out if something goes wrong. It’s not going to teach you how to spot an already-established campsite on the trail or how to figure out how to poop, but it’s a good transition IMO.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

incogneato posted:

Always tell someone where you're going and when you plan to return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAAsOUoL-Zw

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

incogneato posted:

Always tell someone where you're going and when you plan to return. This is always a good idea, but doubly important if you're going alone. Make sure it's someone you can trust.

This isn't even just for overnight trips. It takes us almost zero effort to text my dad each week to let him know the trail we're hiking and roughly when we'll return. The few times we've forgotten to let him know we're back, he'll text to check in.

This.

Its incredible how many survival/rescue/recovery stories exist that would have been avoided had people let others know where they were going. Leaving a sheet of paper with your itinerary face down on your front seat/dashboard (that way thieves won't know your car is alone for xx days) can be incredibly helpful if they end up getting into your vehicle at a trailhead and its likely they won't miss it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone have recommendations for a Yeti-type cooler that isn't insanely expensive? I can get a pretty significant discount going through Yeti's Field Guide program, but I would rather not have to click through a couple hours worth of modules if there's something almost as good but cheap af out there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That blue coleman xtreme is pretty highly regarded.. I see it in a lot of youtube videos for car campers. We've had one for 10 years and always been happy with it, will easily keep ice over a 2 night camping trip.

I did a 5 day road trip with a single bag of ice several years ago and it still had cubes at the end of it, but I kind of babied it. Only put in stuff that was already cold and had it under a sleeping bag to keep the sun off it.

It predates the Yeti craze and I haven't looked up how it compares so ymmv.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I went the cheap route with RTIC and it was fine for most basic stuff. That said I did upgrade to Yeti last year and there is a truly a difference.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a Yeti-type cooler that isn't insanely expensive? I can get a pretty significant discount going through Yeti's Field Guide program, but I would rather not have to click through a couple hours worth of modules if there's something almost as good but cheap af out there.

I don’t remember what they’re called, but the bootleg yetis that they have at Walmart are insanely good for 1/4 of the price of a yeti

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I grabbed a Canyon cooler last summer. It’s not Yeti priced, but more expensive than the wal-mart stuff. I went with that brand after looking at a bunch of options because it’s essentially smooth on all 6 sides so it slides in and out of storage without getting hung up on things.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Do you mean like "bear proof" or do you mean like just holds stuff cold for a long time?

Rtic and Walmart as mentioned make similar strong coolers. As does Monoprice and Pelican and a number of other brands. Igloo might have one too.

If you just want to keep stuff cold and Coleman extreme is great for the price. There's also YouTube videos of people putting expanding foam inside the walls of their cheap coolers and getting great results, if you want as cheap as possible.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 22, 2021

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just picked up a monoprice cooler, and it looks like a yeti to me.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Casu Marzu posted:

Something to keep in mind with Yeti products is that they're theft targets because of the pricetag/conspicuous consumption thing.
A few years ago, I walked past a woman making a statement to a police officer in a Walmart because someone had stolen her Yeti tumbler out of her cart (as in, she'd brought it into the store and was drinking out of it), and I've heard second hand of several coolers disappearing from pickup beds.
If you're going to be alone in the middle of nowhere, it's probably a non-issue. If you're going to have it in a cargo carrier at a campground parking lot or something, you should consider options for securing it so it's not an expensive soft target.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Keep an eye on liquidator auction places because yeti seems to prefer not repurchasing inventory from distributors in bankruptcy.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
We bought the Costco version of the Cascade cooler 80qts. It's a freaking beast (49lbs unloaded) but bear resistant and fairly sure raccoon proof. My high point this past weekend was unloading it, by myself, with beer and food inside, and walking it 30ft to the door. Gym days are showing payoff :) kept ice for days inside a cabin for days, with heavy use as the beverage fridge.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Costco

They have multiple. Coho 55qt is $120. I've had mine for a few years and it's great. Cascade design (same brand as the awesome $20 poles) 45qt is like ... $199?

They also have a monster 88qt for $299 I think.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have the WalMart Ozark Mtn Yeti style cooler. It works just as well in my mind, Ive had it for a few years now and its worked great. I think it was like $40 for their smaller hard sided cooler.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

drat, there's a lot of good options available.

poeticoddity posted:

Something to keep in mind with Yeti products is that they're theft targets because of the pricetag/conspicuous consumption thing.

And this is something I never even thought about, but yeah I can see that being a problem.

FogHelmut posted:

Do you mean like "bear proof" or do you mean like just holds stuff cold for a long time?

Something sturdy w/ a latching lid would be nice. I've had a couple colemans pop open pretty easily before and avoiding that would be dope.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I went to a hotel gift shop to buy something to drink and they had this massive display of Yeti tumblers. I thought "Ok, people buy overpriced souvernirs w/ a tacked on logo all the time, makes sense to put it on premium items" but there was no "Guam" or "Hafa adai" stamp or such on them. Just a bog-standard Yeti tumbler for $40 in a hotel gift shop.

Also I did a project outside of Silverton, CO last year, I think I mentioned: every other UTV we saw (and we saw hundreds) had a Yeti cooler on the back. And you can cover up the entire cooler in stickers but it is imperative that the logo be visible.

I'm thirding the Ozark Trail roto coolers. I buy them for our work trucks. They're fine.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I always find it intriguing what becomes "collectable" consumer goods.

Yeti is a great example. People honestly collect Yeti items, including the infamous 5 gallon bucket. GoRuck backpacks is another example.

In unrelated news I think I may have found the perfect camp chair for me. Waiting for it to show up and test it out, hoping it performs well. Its a folding stool with a backrest that supposedly weighs 1.5 pounds.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I always find it intriguing what becomes "collectable" consumer goods.

In unrelated news I think I may have found the perfect camp chair for me. Waiting for it to show up and test it out, hoping it performs well. Its a folding stool with a backrest that supposedly weighs 1.5 pounds.

You just going to post that and ghost without a link?? :mad:

Stuff like Yeti gear fills a collectible niche because it’s one of the few things left in this world that you can buy once cry once, beat the poo poo out of, and basically have it forever. You don’t even really have to take care of it like cast iron. I can tell you with the vacuum sealed cups, the main difference between Yeti and Walmart’s Ozark is Yeti has an IR reflective layer inside. So it’ll keep drinks cooler out in the sun and keep heat in a little longer, but I can’t honestly tell much of a difference performance wise indoors, with ice or warm drinks. And both keep drinks warmer than you’d probably care to consume them regardless.

Casu Marzu posted:

drat, there's a lot of good options available.

Something sturdy w/ a latching lid would be nice. I've had a couple colemans pop open pretty easily before and avoiding that would be dope.

The key is to search for rotomolded stuff and 2-3” of insulation of Polyurethane foam. PU foam adds structural strength and insulates better than styrofoam (polystyrene), but weighs substantially more. The rotational molding also means the shells form in a single piece with no weak spots or connections for air to escape or corners to break.

I’ve got a Mammoth cooler because it was on sale at Meijers one day and it’ll 100% keep ice for four days with regular use camping outside in high eighties. However, I actually get more use from my softside cooler, just because it’s so much more convenient and breaks down to a convenient form factor, especially for a weekend camping trip in nice weather, and so much lighter to cart around.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just went to Costco for various things and finally bought one of the car camping director style chairs with the fold out side table. No more lovely bag chair for me, and look at that a place for my drink and plate of food. I really like that they pack flat and rectangular.

Stanley approves.

Verman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 23, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I got a yeti personal thermos as vendor swag at a conference, seems fine at holding hear but it doesn’t have a sippy cup lid so I need to either unscrew it or leave if open and risk caffeinating my keyboard with an emphatic gesture.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What do people recommend for knee pain while descending?

I first noticed this in 2018, read than knee compression sleeves are a solution that works for most people, so I bought a pair and experienced zero pain during training, only to experience pain during my descent from Mt. Rainier. Should I have been pickier with my choice of sleeve? Are there any exercises I can do to deal with this?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I put the top of my poles into my palm and kinda lean into them to take some of the weight off. My knees are still kinda worn out by the end but they don't hurt.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I guess my technique with poles is lacking then because I tried that and the improvement was only marginal. Inevitably my foot would slide a little bit (on snow/ice), and the pain would shoot up as soon as my foot rotates just a little bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well hiking in slippery conditions is another matter entirely. And my knees might be in better condition overall.. I've never needed/used knee braces so if that's where you're at my advice is pretty worthless. :v:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

What do people recommend for knee pain while descending?

I first noticed this in 2018, read than knee compression sleeves are a solution that works for most people, so I bought a pair and experienced zero pain during training, only to experience pain during my descent from Mt. Rainier. Should I have been pickier with my choice of sleeve? Are there any exercises I can do to deal with this?

Have you been to a doctor about your pain? Depending on the root cause, (so many possibilities) there could be a lot of things to do for the pain but it depends on what's wrong. IT band syndrome is brutal and I had it while cycling due to a bad fitting. Pushing down felt like a needle going into the front/under/side of my knee cap. Foam roller the side of the thigh and some physical therapy helped improve it as well as strengthening glutes.

Torn meniscus is pretty common and really painful, but can also be dealt with pretty easily. More seriously you might have a torn ligament/tendon or just strained from over use. Physical therapy might be your best bet strengthening the supporting/surrounding muscles.

I also am a proponent of taking more frequent and smaller steps from time to time. Stretch during breaks. Hiking uses a few muscle groups in a very limited range over and over again. Certain stretches will open you up which should help. Drink lots of water.

Poles are my first suggestion but if you're already using them there's not much else to suggest. When ascending, try french stepping or mini switchbacking just to alter your steps so it's not the exact same repeating motion over and over again. Sometimes descending is just hard on your knees and there's no way around it.

Overall my suggestion is seeing a doctor. Ibuprofen can get you off a trail but relying on it from the start could leave you really hurting something long term of left undiagnosed.

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 24, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Another thing to look at is strength training, when your muscles fatigue your body likes to start cutting corners with its gait putting more load on joints instead of muscles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeti, Orca, RTIC, Jackson Kayak/Orion, Cascade, Pelican lots of options on good coolers out there.

I have personal experience with Yeti, Orca and Pelican from the higher end brands - all good options. The Orca I got with some coupon stacking at Bed Bath & Beyond in addition to it being a return/damaged item (there was a scratch on the front that I covered with a sticker). If you're trying to save a few bucks definitely see if you can scope out something like that.

I recently picked up this Ozark Trail 35QT for my fishing kayak and it's great. It doesn't weigh a whole lot, will keep ice for a few days if I need it to and I like the tall dry divider for keeping a sandwich or other snacks/lunch in. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-35QT-Hard-Sided-Cooler-Dark-Blue/596605983

The one area where I would probably go with Yeti or another high end brand is with soft coolers. I've had a couple from Walmart/Ozark, Built New York (I dunno, was on vacation and needed a soft cooler and this is what Sierra Trading had in-store), etc and they've all eventually leaked or don't seem to hold ice as long as I've seen Yeti soft coolers do it.