Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

[url]
Update today says that the Wildfish smoked salmon is unreal.

Just got an ad for them. Some expensive but good looking canned fish.

https://wildfishcannery.com/collections/all

I got more of the canned dorade from Trader Joe's. It's really good and I think it'll be nice in some kind of creamy pasta sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1403784567144824835

Update today says that the Wildfish smoked salmon is unreal.

It is. The herring is wicked too. Last time we got a can of smoked octopus and it was unlike anything I've ever had.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Salad w/ asian sardine vinaigrette

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Nice plating. I don't bother doing anything as nice when making salads as I like having everything fully mixed.

ViolaceousTrogon
Mar 4, 2015
I made the serious eats pasta con la sarde recipe (but with canned fish) and it was pretty good, but no one else in my family liked it. I prefer my sardines as big oily mouthful rather than a warm crumby paste anyway

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Feeling nostalgic for some good old squid in American sauce like grandma used to make.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

please lord trip report the sauce americans

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is American sauce ketchup?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Finally went to La Bouffe International Market near my place. Grabbed some Bon Appetit squid (jumbo squid with garlic flavour & stuffed squid in American Sauce), Mainz octopus in Spanish olive oil, Angelo Parodi mackerel fillets in olive oil. Can of Lion Heart Kombucha Bliss (ginger with lemon & lavender).

Trip report during the week as I slowly eat them in salads I make with the produce I'll pick up at tomorrow's farmer's market.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Finally went to La Bouffe International Market near my place.

finally is right im fuming ovah here

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'll stop by again after the farmer's market as I'll likely figure out what goodies I'll bring to my friend's birthday party tomorrow.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i eat this once a week. tuna salad sandwich salad.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:nice:

Funny enough I've gotten into making this fusion tuna melt/quesadilla with tortillas, shredded cheese and those tuna pocket packs.

I'll post a pic when I make one for dinner tonight.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is that a charles burns placemat? that's pretty cool

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

is that a charles burns placemat? that's pretty cool

the book was on the table figured it would be an interesting backdrop 😵

naem
May 29, 2011

canned fish goes great with a cold pasta salad, i add olive oil, lime juice and sometimes a shake of Old Bay®️©️™️ to the fish if needed

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i eat this once a week. tuna salad sandwich salad.

ya know this is one of my favorite pre-made salad bags and I never thought to have it with my fish, but that does sound good.

Also, goons, sauce Americaine is a normal rear end sauce, it's got white wine and onions and tomatoes and brandy and...I'm sure other stuff. It's legit don't worry.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I love sardines but i can’t stand the huge ones with what look like visible spinal columns

Ever thankful for king Oscar

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Not a Children posted:

I love sardines but i can’t stand the huge ones with what look like visible spinal columns

Try and track down a can of KO Cross-Pack. 24-38 fish instead of the standard 22-22. They're so, so tiny!

Photo from Rainbow Tomatoes. This is from a can of 22.

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/index.php/product/king-oscar-cross-pack-sardines-sprats-in-extra-virgin-olive-oil/

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I like the boneless skinless because I'm a huge baby but i can only find them plain at the store. Does KO do a Mediterranean boneless?

Last night i had a can of BUMBLEBEE SMOKE FLAVOR COHO SALMON filets and they looked ridiculous because they were dyed hot pink but they tasted ok

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

titties posted:

I like the boneless skinless because I'm a huge baby but i can only find them plain at the store. Does KO do a Mediterranean boneless?
I don't remember bones in the KO Med but it doesn't state it on the tin. However, while trying to verify it, chanced upon my favorite one (Spanish Style) with a decent sale price ($1.88/tin):
https://www.amazon.com/King-Oscar-Skinless-Boneless-Sardines/dp/B071NDJRC7/

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

had some big ol horse mackerels yesterday with the whole kit and kaboodle intact. delicious and gave it a nice crunch

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

shovel them drat spines into yo mouth

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The bones are full of healthy goodness

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yesterday was a friend's birthday and his outdoor party had us all bring weird foods to eat. There were peanut butter sandwiches with pickle & mayo , cuttlefish crackers, and lutefisk. First time having lutefisk. It's a'ight, and I think the traditional serving with mashed potatoes & melted butter is necessary to help integrate the fish's texture.

The durian wafer cookies were the strongest-smelling I've ever had of a processed durian product. It was not enjoyed by the guests.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol when my sister was living in stockton we hit up the super king and I got a pack of those wafers and hid it in her glove box. drove her crazy for a week until she found them

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Not a Children posted:

when they're huge it's easy to split them open and pull out the spine. just don't tell the thread you don't eat the bones

wait

gently caress

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
EAT THE drat BONES

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Pretend you were told that KO pulls the bones out all of their dines anyway because your mouth is never aware that they exist.

And no, they don't have their best versions in a boneless and skinless form. Why the gently caress would they want to ruin the flavor by doing that

e: when I tried their skinless / boneless once and only once, it was disappointing and tasted closer to canned tuna than what I was so used to. The skin is what gives dines the flavor I love, and who knows, maybe the olive oil-soaked and dissolved bones probably add to it.

fear of dine bones is based on the preconception of something that doesn't exist: chewing on crunchy dine bones, especially KO dines. fyi santa claus doesn't exist either

eat the bones

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 22, 2021

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

European dines aren't those tiny fishies Americans get, it's usually two or three large sardines per can. Those have pretty sizeable bones that have some crunch to them so I understand why some don't like the mouth feel. I usually buy boneless dines because they're less fuss when used for salads etc where the bones are undesirable. Sprats, on the other hand, are an entirely different matter, smoke 'em whole

naem
May 29, 2011

Scrotum Modem posted:

Pretend you were told that KO pulls the bones out all of their dines anyway because your mouth is never aware that they exist.

And no, they don't have their best versions in a boneless and skinless form. Why the gently caress would they want to ruin the flavor by doing that

e: when I tried their skinless / boneless once and only once, it was disappointing and tasted closer to canned tuna than what I was so used to. The skin is what gives dines the flavor I love, and who knows, maybe the olive oil-soaked and dissolved bones probably add to it.

fear of dine bones is based on the preconception of something that doesn't exist: chewing on crunchy dine bones, especially KO dines. fyi santa claus doesn't exist either

eat the bones

santa claus exists and he eats the bonez

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Even the small ones have a chalky crumbling mass of vertebrae that are definitely noticeable unless you're just swallowing whole fishies.

The only time I can eat fish spine are on freshly- fried, piping hot breaded smelt.

And now i want to go smelt dipping

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
I've never noticed a bone in sufficiently small sardines. I have noted King Oscar Tiny Tots getting larger over the last few years.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I had a couple of tins of weird japanese sardines w/ huge bones that were really pronounced and crunchy and got stuck in my teeth. That's the only time I've ever noticed the bones in a bad way.

ViolaceousTrogon
Mar 4, 2015
When I first encountered this thread I thought maybe it was some insane marketing tactic from king oscar. The little sardines are fine. They're good I guess. I just assume people who prefer them are unsatisfactory lovers.

But big fat oily chunkers three to a can are where it's at. God I love crumbling the little bones between my front teeth. It's like stepping on the crunchy lichen. I only wish I knew about this when i had pica

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

barbecue at the folks posted:

European dines aren't those tiny fishies Americans get, it's usually two or three large sardines per can. Those have pretty sizeable bones that have some crunch to them so I understand why some don't like the mouth feel. I usually buy boneless dines because they're less fuss when used for salads etc where the bones are undesirable. Sprats, on the other hand, are an entirely different matter, smoke 'em whole

Ahhhh, the ol' "Americans don't have X" where X is a readily available product. We get the "3 dines per can" if we want them; got one on my desk right now. We also get the tiny brisling and sprats, too, from northern and easter Europe!

I can understand not wanting bones on a salad, but when we say "eat the bones" we are talking 3-30 a can and not discriminating based on size.

I don't generally care for boneless/skinless sardines because most of the common ones I see are water packed. I feel like I wasted so much of my life eating water pack tuna. OTOH Kipper Snacks are some of my favorite canned fishies and they're a single boneless/skinless filet in water.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Sorry, I honestly didn't mean to sound like I was dunking on Yanks or whatever, I meant that we Europeans just don't usually have the choice of bigger or smaller dines! Our canned dines are generally the big sort and at times I wish I had the choice, the only tiny fishes for sale around here are smoked baltic sprats and they're not always what one wants.

still good tho'

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
A go-to lunch of mine lately has been making a bunch of greek salad, tossing that on some arugula, then topping that with a tin of 'dines.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My everyday lunch is either a can of KO skin-on bone-in 'dines in a cup of organic Minute Rice, with an avocado mashed up and mixed in, with sambal oelek

OR a can of the same dines with spring mix or field greens and prepared Colman's mustard. I call it sargreens :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

isaboo posted:

sargreens :v: