Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Galewolf posted:

I don't know how the real situation with Musk but his ~*Master of Coin*~ saying "Yeah, let's just hold because this poo poo is going to the moon bro" when it was at 60k and that poo poo dropping to 30k is never not going to be funny.
Doge was at .72 when the Elon called himself the Dogefather on Saturday Night Live. It's now .17 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
We are now under 30k. Congrats on all your hard work thread

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Andy Dufresne posted:

First time since Jan 1. What a ride.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Andy Dufresne posted:

:patriot:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Curse you magic beans!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
broke: waiting on the usa and/or china to ban crypto
woke: waiting for the next elon musk Saturday night live appearance to destroy all cryptocurrencies

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Number go up: See, Elon Musk is a coiner and a visionary! To the moon baby, eat poo poo, normies!
Number go down: :qq: One person shouldn't be allowed to manipulate the market like this, gently caress you Elon :qq:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Figgies

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

How’s Reddit crypto doing today?

I’d be laughing harder but a good buddy of mine invested a fair amount into crypto because he believed in it/took bad advice from other friends. He’s down a fair amount, and I feel bad for him.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He's gonna be down more soon so save some of that empathy for then lol.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LionArcher posted:

I’d be laughing harder but a good buddy of mine invested a fair amount into crypto because he believed in it/took bad advice from other friends. He’s down a fair amount, and I feel bad for him.

Top items in r/Bitcoin right now...

- A fake tech demo showing a "bitcoin payment" going through instantly in El Salvador.
- "I've experienced 3 market cycles now and it always feels like this."
- Meme video about not being worried about the roller-coaster ride
- "A reminder that China's crackdown on Bitcoin has been happening for years ¯_(ツ)_/¯"
- "After shutting down in Sichuan, a Chinese firm has successfully shipped 300 #Bitcoin miners to Kazakhstan. Over 2,000 more are on their way. #Bitcoin Magzine 🛡💝 Sounds Good 🤓🤓"
- "Bitcoin under $30k means I’m a whole-coiner now"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i do feel bad for some of these people who didn't know any better.

but everytime they open their stupid mouth about some "good news" regarding bitcoin... makes me hope they lose it all.
-----
there was the guy on the tiktokinvestors account who said he quit his job and sold all his long term retirement funds and also took all his savings and put that into btc when it was at 48k... when bitcoin started dipping after it's 60K peak he made a tiktok saying, "no one knows why its going down".... i wish i had seen that when he posted it because i wanted to ask him, "well, why was it going up?"

these people have no idea what bitcoin is other than something they hope will go up. that dogecoin guy is even sadder. he's lost well over a million dollars holding onto the doge he bought with his lifesavings.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Diva Cupcake posted:

Doge was at .72 when the Elon called himself the Dogefather on Saturday Night Live. It's now .17 cents.

Hey so I've never owned a crypto in my life, if I wanted to drop $50 on doge for shits and giggles where's the best place to do so?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Another Bill posted:

Hey so I've never owned a crypto in my life, if I wanted to drop $50 on doge for shits and giggles where's the best place to do so?

Just send me the money, I'll take care of you.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Another Bill posted:

For absolute easiest, you can do it on Robinhood or Coinbase for a nice slick interface of watching yourself lose money in real time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Galewolf posted:

I don't know how the real situation with Musk but his ~*Master of Coin*~ saying "Yeah, let's just hold because this poo poo is going to the moon bro" when it was at 60k and that poo poo dropping to 30k is never not going to be funny.
musk allegedly sold all his coin at >50k or something like that, a bunch of crypto people were crying about it

Not sure how true it is, but I've definitely seem claims and even people posting the wallet address.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 22, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given how many children Elon Musk has I'm stunned he pulled out

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Number went down and then up?

HODL! up uP UP! Etc.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

BTC going down and then right back up again just means some semi-normal people got out of it then were immediately replaced by idiots, right?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Taco Duck posted:

BTC going down and then right back up again just means some semi-normal people got out of it then were immediately replaced by idiots, right?

Probably the tether fake money machine printing again

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Cacafuego posted:

Probably the tether fake money machine printing again

Oh God, is Tether the Fed of coins now?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fake ? FAKE?????

What could possibly be fake about a currency backed by a private organization whose interests are solely pinned on portraying the stability of said currency by claiming infinite assets to ensure that stability while dodging questions about the nature, origin, breadth, or type of assets used to stabilize that currency?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Bondematt posted:

I mean, functionally Tether is doing what central banks normally do in regards to the crypto economy.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Bondematt posted:

if by "now" you mean "six years ago", yes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, functionally Tether is doing what central banks normally do in regards to the crypto economy.

The difference is that central banks have access to guns, factories, and laws that support their position

Tether has a very pretty top hat with some very convincing evidence inside of it that guarantees its position, but you can't see what it is!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
imagine The Fed, but its a guy in a dark alley named Chaz who has "totally got you covered"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there any sort of threshold or tipping point that'll force bitcoin past 30k if tether keeps printing money backed by nothing that every bitcoin zealot communally agrees is worth something? seems like if you claim you have infinite money and everyone else participating in the financial system decides to go along with it there's not a whole lot reality can do about it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And you know he's legit because his coat is expensive and he said he's legit

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Cowcaster posted:

is there any sort of threshold or tipping point that'll force bitcoin past 30k if tether keeps printing money backed by nothing that every bitcoin zealot communally agrees is worth something? seems like if you claim you have infinite money and everyone else participating in the financial system decides to go along with it there's not a whole lot reality can do about it

almost certainly, but you won't know what it is until a while after we've already reached it

alternatively regulations to shut down trading would probably do it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bitcoin/Tether/Crypto generally: If you squint, it still just looks like overt financial fraud

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

LionArcher posted:

Your friend is fulfilling an important role in the market.

You'd think the currency of the future would figure out how to automate holding a bag though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ikanreed posted:

Your friend is fulfilling an important role in the market.

You'd think the currency of the future would figure out how to automate holding a bag though

They did it's called "running a cryptocurrency exchange and not letting anybody look too close"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

jokes posted:

The difference is that central banks have access to guns, factories, and laws that support their position

Tether has a very pretty top hat with some very convincing evidence inside of it that guarantees its position, but you can't see what it is!

Hey man my RabbitCoin is going to the MOON, you know how fast rabbits breed. Always going to be more and more of them.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

jokes posted:

They did it's called "running a cryptocurrency exchange and not letting anybody look too close"

That's also the secret to pulling of the inevitable exit scam hack in which they take everyone's money

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Just tell your friend that for there to be winners there need to be losers.

With bitcoin it’s a coin toss and he came up short this time but better luck next time!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

bitcoin back above 30K, up to 32K. normal stuff

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Too many people ask exchanges for real money instead of tether and the ponzi scheme implodes.

Lets see how the reopening goes.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

I mean you can claim you have infinite money but at some point enough people will trade in their "investments" for some real currency at which point infinite money turns into "actually there was no money" and everything collapses. Right now there seems to be enough suckers entering with their real money to float the people who are cashing out.

That being said, I assume people are able to cash out of bitcoin? I've never actually met/heard from anyone who has.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

MarcusSA posted:

Just tell your friend that for there to be winners there need to be losers.

With bitcoin it’s a coin toss and he came up short this time but better luck next time!

This analogy makes it sound like the bitcoin coin toss (buttcointoss, if u will) was a 50/50 chance, which is extremely not the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

InternetJunky posted:

I mean you can claim you have infinite money but at some point enough people will trade in their "investments" for some real currency at which point infinite money turns into "actually there was no money" and everything collapses. Right now there seems to be enough suckers entering with their real money to float the people who are cashing out.

That being said, I assume people are able to cash out of bitcoin? I've never actually met/heard from anyone who has.

Not being able to cash out of bitcoin was more of a thing back in the MtGox days. Now that there are enough exchanges like Coinbase that are only moderately lovely and not outright fraudulent, it's not hard to get actual money out. When I sold my coin at around $63k, I was able to withdraw and had the cash in my bank account in a week. (And, looking at the prices today, I'm extremely glad that I realized that it was immoral to put any more USD into the crypto ecosystem and that I needed to get out of it completely.)