Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOfg0Q5mX3o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Of all the dumb poo poo Red Bull does with their vehicles, they crash it just landing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ola posted:

I'm guessing owner personality decides it. This owner seemed to take all his advice, the Raptor guy pushed back on everything.

Perhaps the best advice would be "just pay for some rides in real warbirds, then go back to your cars".

There's been 'issues' with that P-51 for years. Owner might have taken the advice, but certainly hasn't done a very good job at executing it.
I think if they hadn't posted a video showing the Raptor guy in a pretty bad light, whilst still being a potential client, it might have worked out, but I suspect they're more interested in clicks than clients.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lol it clipped the building when it was almost down, ten feet to the right and it would have been no problem. What a dumbass.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
There is no, absolutely no, reason to ever land a helicopter that close to any building that doesn't have a big H on top of it. Especially the corrugated panel and sheet metal screws buildings on every flight line when you're pooping out ten thousand pounds of wind thrust with each collective pump.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Midjack posted:

Lol it clipped the building when it was almost down, ten feet to the right and it would have been no problem. What a dumbass.

He was down!. It was when he unloaded the disk, the blades came down and clipped the building. That's unforgivable.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Where do they find their cobra pilots?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5dRqS7Pm4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Big Choplifter energy here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Looks like it caught on something, like it was tied down to the dirt and someone forgot to remove it. When it rights itself, a bunch of dirt is ripped up.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like it caught on something, like it was tied down to the dirt and someone forgot to remove it. When it rights itself, a bunch of dirt is ripped up.

Early stages of dynamic rollover. He got lucky. He should have stopped the yaw much much earlier.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm calculating about 430 megajoules of KE based on 88,900kg orbiter landing mass and ~220MPH touchdown speed so, about the same as trapping 9 Growlers at once.

Use the OMS as a retro-rocket to stop after you hit the deck.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OMS points the wrong way, you'll have to use the RCS thrusters instead which gives you a whopping 24 lbs of thrust

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wing root JATOs behind pop off tiles. Thank you that will be $5b.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Zero One posted:

I'm not sure what fire hazard you are talking about? Until the engine quit he had a gear that wasn't locking which he was trying to troubleshoot. If the engine didn't quit he had an hour of fuel to work on it and decide how to land.

He said in the video the airport staff was there in 50 seconds. The plane wasn't on fire but he said the fire fighters had a procedure to foam if there was gas leaking. Seemed more precautionary on their part so they were not rushing because there was no reason to rush (No one's life was in danger).

Yeah they probably knew about it then. About the fire risk, he mentions specifically the fuel drains on the wing breaking off and gas leaking right away, which did happen. There's also the unpredictability of landing with no or half gear which can cause a broken wing, flipping over or both.

50 seconds to arrive with an extinguishing setup that takes time to activate (not exactly a truck with a foam cannon here) is probably too late if you end up upside down and on fire.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ola posted:

Yeah they probably knew about it then. About the fire risk, he mentions specifically the fuel drains on the wing breaking off and gas leaking right away, which did happen. There's also the unpredictability of landing with no or half gear which can cause a broken wing, flipping over or both.

50 seconds to arrive with an extinguishing setup that takes time to activate (not exactly a truck with a foam cannon here) is probably too late if you end up upside down and on fire.

I'm not sure how much faster you think a fire truck could have been there? Even in a best case (sitting in the truck waiting for the landing) they can't go too close to the runway until after the plane lands and they can't predict where exactly it will stop. So maybe a few seconds time saved? But there never was a roll over or fire so we will never be able to say for sure on the airport's response time for a critical emergency since they didn't rush it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Zero One posted:

I'm not sure how much faster you think a fire truck could have been there? Even in a best case (sitting in the truck waiting for the landing) they can't go too close to the runway until after the plane lands and they can't predict where exactly it will stop. So maybe a few seconds time saved? But there never was a roll over or fire so we will never be able to say for sure on the airport's response time for a critical emergency since they didn't rush it.

I don't know either, maybe it wouldn't have mattered. But in a potentially life threatening situation, what is the advantage of not declaring an emergency?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ola posted:

I don't know either, maybe it wouldn't have mattered. But in a potentially life threatening situation, what is the advantage of not declaring an emergency?

It's funny because I was just watching this video

https://youtu.be/EXBAL_c8dcM

And around 49:00 he talks about declaring an emergency at an uncontrolled airport and how he didn't really* do it in that case because he wasn't sure if it would do any good.

*In the video he does tell the other planes on frequency his has a gear issue and asks them to call for help if he crashed. Which is all you would do after yelling "Mayday" anyway.

Earlier he talks about bailing out which is a another emergency option he has that most other pilots don't.

Overall he seems quite aware of his resources and how and when to use them.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 21, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

He's dealing with an emergency and he waffles on about how to warn the owner?
And he's doing farting around in a dodgy plane over a built up area.
And doesn't declare an emergency?
And with all that altitude and that long a runway, he almost still blows the approach.

That's a lot of bad decisions from a 'test' pilot.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Not as bad as this, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kufwVIwtF8U

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Midjack posted:

It says a lot that these lovely hobby planes always have the paint job fully applied while they're still debugging everything. I suspect a lot of these owners would get as much enjoyment from a full scale model with no engine so they could just sit in the pilot's seat and make whooshing mouth noises while they wiggle the stick around.

I just bought a Greenlight Bluesmobile (IE Jake and Elwood's car from The Blues Brothers) and let me tell you it has all of the benefits of a bluesmobile with none of the problems of owning a 1974 Dodge Monaco.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Winnebago had a helicopter rv in the 70s apparently 9 were sold.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Speaking of squwaking 7500, jump to 47:30 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFYhdX1F578

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I am often scared in my airplane. It is a normal feeling in that environment.”

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ImplicitAssembler posted:

There's been 'issues' with that P-51 for years. Owner might have taken the advice, but certainly hasn't done a very good job at executing it.
I think if they hadn't posted a video showing the Raptor guy in a pretty bad light, whilst still being a potential client, it might have worked out, but I suspect they're more interested in clicks than clients.

lol that you think the income generated by a 25K subscriber YT channel matters more to a flight test business than flight test

I know you're bitter about the Wasabi guys because you really wanted to believe in the Raptor and they rained on that parade, but have you ever considered flipping your evaluation of Wasabi on its head? As in, if there's a valid reason to be critical of them, it's that they're so fuckin' crazy in love with weird airplanes that they'll take irrational risks to help such projects. That seems to be why they were willing to fly Raptor at all, provided they could get the owner/builder on board with improving the airplane and reducing other risk factors.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haha here's a 1966 FAA produced film about being an overconfident dick with a doctor killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihee35QrWtk

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I just bought a Greenlight Bluesmobile (IE Jake and Elwood's car from The Blues Brothers) and let me tell you it has all of the benefits of a bluesmobile with none of the problems of owning a 1974 Dodge Monaco.

Everyone asks me to justify the sim and r/c hobbies I have when I do or have done the real life equivalent activity and the answer is always the same: it's 80% as fun for 1% of the pain in the rear end.

BobHoward posted:

lol that you think the income generated by a 25K subscriber YT channel matters more to a flight test business than flight test

I know you're bitter about the Wasabi guys because you really wanted to believe in the Raptor and they rained on that parade, but have you ever considered flipping your evaluation of Wasabi on its head? As in, if there's a valid reason to be critical of them, it's that they're so fuckin' crazy in love with weird airplanes that they'll take irrational risks to help such projects. That seems to be why they were willing to fly Raptor at all, provided they could get the owner/builder on board with improving the airplane and reducing other risk factors.

I've enjoyed the few of their videos I've watched but I'm pretty grossed out that he wanted to make sure the owner was somehow involved in the midst of an emergency and his AAR isn't him saying "this was absolutely wrong, recklessly dangerous, and I will commit to never repeating this fundamental error." If he doesn't do that then his business is to risk his life (and others') to make boomer dipshits feel cool not to run a black and white safety system.

[edit] Youtube reminded me again that Seguin is the quickie crash guy. He's seems more like a Layer Dan than a test pilot.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 24, 2021

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Preoptopus posted:

Winnebago had a helicopter rv in the 70s apparently 9 were sold.

well I now have a goal in life.

ET_375
Nov 20, 2013

Kilonum posted:

well I now have a goal in life.

Some more photos and information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRlQrN8RAY
Personally, the PBY flying yacht is more up my alley.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

something fun ive never heard of before, from the UFO thread--britain's homegrown attempt at a flying saucer:

https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/434045

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Went to see the AN-225 land at Brize, and they bowled us a dummy - a few Voyagers took off and landed to demonstrate the active runway direction so all the locals beetled over to the fields off the east end of the runway to see it land overhead.

Five minutes later the AN-225 came in high, went south of the airport, turned on a wingtip and landed in the other direction where no-one was expecting to see it. Grr.

meltie fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 24, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I was set up to take a picture of the Blue Angels flying past the Thunderbirds hangar, and the fuckers flew in WITH the wind down the runway.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I've enjoyed the few of their videos I've watched but I'm pretty grossed out that he wanted to make sure the owner was somehow involved in the midst of an emergency and his AAR isn't him saying "this was absolutely wrong, recklessly dangerous, and I will commit to never repeating this fundamental error." If he doesn't do that then his business is to risk his life (and others') to make boomer dipshits feel cool not to run a black and white safety system.

I mean, that kinda is his business. Or part of it. The other part is where he gets to help out people who actually know WTF they're doing, like the guy with the Lancair. (That is an extremely cool series, watch it if you haven't.) I'd guess he has to take on the boomer projects to keep his business afloat so he can also do the good stuff - the market for GA test flight services can't be large.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

haha here's a 1966 FAA produced film about being an overconfident dick with a doctor killer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihee35QrWtk

I never noticed before but I have to admit that the FAA has a bitchin logo

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

BobHoward posted:

I mean, that kinda is his business. Or part of it. The other part is where he gets to help out people who actually know WTF they're doing, like the guy with the Lancair. (That is an extremely cool series, watch it if you haven't.) I'd guess he has to take on the boomer projects to keep his business afloat so he can also do the good stuff - the market for GA test flight services can't be large.

If his business means he needs to consult a non-aviator who isn't even at the field while dealing with a gear failure and a stumbling engine over a populated area instead of flying the plane first then....I guess I think he shouldn't have a business.

I'm still laughing at myself for discovering again, for the second or third time in this thread, that he was also the dude who crashed the quickie into the boneyard. I feel like if you take a super light plane designed around an 18hp tractor setup and put outboard jets at the back that each produce more thrust than the original motor you could conservatively guess that your only move at low airspeed and high power settings during a SEF is to pull both engines off to retain control authority onto the runway not dick around at high yaw with trying to climb. :shrug:

Haterade: 70% mustang with non-redundant car engine is what Can Am Spyder guys get when they win the lottery (but not too much).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

meltie posted:

Went to see the AN-225 land at Brize, and they bowled us a dummy - a few Voyagers took off and landed to demonstrate the active runway direction so all the locals beetled over to the fields off the east end of the runway to see it land overhead.

Five minutes later the AN-225 came in high, went south of the airport, turned on a wingtip and landed in the other direction where no-one was expecting to see it. Grr.

This happened in Perth also. Suspicious.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If his business means he needs to consult a non-aviator who isn't even at the field while dealing with a gear failure and a stumbling engine over a populated area instead of flying the plane first then....I guess I think he shouldn't have a business.

I'm still laughing at myself for discovering again, for the second or third time in this thread, that he was also the dude who crashed the quickie into the boneyard. I feel like if you take a super light plane designed around an 18hp tractor setup and put outboard jets at the back that each produce more thrust than the original motor you could conservatively guess that your only move at low airspeed and high power settings during a SEF is to pull both engines off to retain control authority onto the runway not dick around at high yaw with trying to climb. :shrug:

Haterade: 70% mustang with non-redundant car engine is what Can Am Spyder guys get when they win the lottery (but not too much).

I’ve started putting scare quotes around “test pilot” when I think of that guy in my own brain parts.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And as far as I can tell, never declared an emergency.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

~Coxy posted:

This happened in Perth also. Suspicious.

Ahh. According to a few people, it goes in the other way here:

https://twitter.com/NicolaNeyhaul/status/1408072847377932291

Not enough local knowledge!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1TQGK3mZI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I want this man's gentle voice in my ears forever