Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A quirk with rocketman that hosed me before I figured it out:

If you have grazing herds, move herds around to avoid getting killed by raiders, or use animals in combat through mods... time dilation will mess with how you play. By reducing their tick rate, it means animals eat less often, move less frequently, and are generally dumber and less responsive. Because I have Big Herds, my animals were slowly starving by not having enough ticks assigned to them so they could graze (move around and eat in a big area). Then I lost 50 animals when they wouldn't move to an assigned area during a raid.

As a workaround, you can disable dilation or opt certain animals out of it. After I did that everything worked great. Its still an A+ mod.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

silentsnack posted:

The fact of there being an endgame is a weird concession that goes against Tynan's stated design goal/concept of making a "story generator" that is explicitly not a "game" so the various endgame arcs are just optional Stupid Dwarf Megaprojects for people who get bored of being invincible and want a challenge that leads to something resembling a victory condition.

...But then again at least all the vanilla endgames are basically the same, either A) survive for 15 days and babysit your spaceship or B) survive for 15 days and babysit the visiting system lord or C) survive for 15 days in your hastily built shacks in the middle of nowehere.

Does anyone actually anymore bother to "end" their colony runs or do you just move to another map/scenario?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My win condition is "am I completely secure against anything the game can throw at me, and is there any lategame content I still want to try out".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

silentsnack posted:

The fact of there being an endgame is a weird concession that goes against Tynan's stated design goal/concept of making a "story generator" that is explicitly not a "game" so the various endgame arcs are just optional Stupid Dwarf Megaprojects for people who get bored of being invincible and want a challenge that leads to something resembling a victory condition.

i mean his design goal was that this wasn't a colony simulator and you should be trying to get off the planet and win ASAP which is super unfun. I don't like vanilla Rimworld at all. I really like modded colony simulator Rimworld. Death of the game dev.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

i mean his design goal was that this wasn't a colony simulator and you should be trying to get off the planet and win ASAP which is super unfun. I don't like vanilla Rimworld at all. I really like modded colony simulator Rimworld. Death of the game dev.

The vanilla game without the Royalty DLC made it quite clear, the player's ability to project power in firefights plateaued fairly early, meaning that you were starting to lose more and more each and every time unless you lucked into random events giving you top-tier gear and things. Royalty at least moved that problem to the proper endgame. And Ludeon should buy out the Hospitality mod and just include that stuff to the vanilla, now that "become a resort for the wealth" actually is one of the end game options.

But I def. agree, Tynan really does not seem to *get* his player base like, at all, on many occasions.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Regarde Aduck posted:

As I said last time this came up:

CapnAndy posted:

There's a bunch of weird places where the guy who made Rimworld does not seem to know what Rimworld is about.

Like, the endgame is leaving the planet... why, exactly? The entire rest of the game is all about building up a defensible, self-sustaining settlement, working on your relationships with the neighboring factions, all this stuff that's about digging in and making a home. To contrast, Factorio is also about building up a giant base with an endgame of "get off the planet", but Factorio knows what it's about, so the rest of the planet is mindless bug-monsters that you can't interact with in any fashion except attempting to murder each other, and it will ramp up the threat until you are inevitably overwhelmed and die. The tonal difference is stark.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Having the possibility to cap a game with an ending is a perk not a flaw, you weirdos.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

As I said last time this came up:

All the stuff you claim is about digging in and making a home is also necessary to the idea of surviving long enough to build your own escape spaceship, including making friends with your neighbors so you can do so in peace and get resources you otherwise wouldn't be able to obtain. Factorio, at least for the same concept, just took the route of not having natives you could convince not to kill you.

Der Kyhe posted:

The vanilla game without the Royalty DLC made it quite clear, the player's ability to project power in firefights plateaued fairly early, meaning that you were starting to lose more and more each and every time unless you lucked into random events giving you top-tier gear and things. Royalty at least moved that problem to the proper endgame. And Ludeon should buy out the Hospitality mod and just include that stuff to the vanilla, now that "become a resort for the wealth" actually is one of the end game options.

But I def. agree, Tynan really does not seem to *get* his player base like, at all, on many occasions.

Possible. Or it's also possible that there is a significant contingent of the player base who are happy with it and he's perfectly happy with that. The idea that there is the one true way to play a game is really something that should have died off a long time ago but it keeps alive despite all evidence to the contrary.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

nessin posted:

All the stuff you claim is about digging in and making a home is also necessary to the idea of surviving long enough to build your own escape spaceship, including making friends with your neighbors so you can do so in peace and get resources you otherwise wouldn't be able to obtain. Factorio, at least for the same concept, just took the route of not having natives you could convince not to kill you.
Which is a key difference, I think! Every time you make the world nicer, you have less reason to want to leave. Leave the needle at IT'S A loving AWFUL BALL OF MURDER and I want out, but if I make a house and I have friends... why do I want to leave? I live here and all my friends are nearby.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nessin posted:

Possible. Or it's also possible that there is a significant contingent of the player base who are happy with it and he's perfectly happy with that. The idea that there is the one true way to play a game is really something that should have died off a long time ago but it keeps alive despite all evidence to the contrary.

Yes, and usually fan restoration projects tend to max up the tedium because they bring back also the stuff that was turned off for a reason (Fallout 2 breaking the non-violent playthrough, as an example).

In the vanilla for the long time the progression basically was that you reach the relative top of the power curve at devilstrand-flak-assault rifles, and then it is basically a waiting game to see if you can get your spaceship put together (or get random top gear stuff) to keep the enemies away long enough, since you start losing more than winning in the fights. Or you had to migrate and start over on another map since time spent was/is also a vector on these calculations. Both which aren't really that interesting options, since the game had the tools, it just decided to not give them to you without mods.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I still cant believe allow all isnt in vanilla

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Which is a key difference, I think! Every time you make the world nicer, you have less reason to want to leave. Leave the needle at IT'S A loving AWFUL BALL OF MURDER and I want out, but if I make a house and I have friends... why do I want to leave? I live here and all my friends are nearby.

Sure, building a comfy home where you can convince the awful ball of murder not to actually murder you is a great reason to settle down. However Star Wars Episode 7.185 was due for release two days after the Rimworld crash and I'm not banking on convincing my Royalty friends to import it or some other junk freighter to be shot down with a copy on it to see it. I need to get home, grab a ice cold pepsi, and watch the disaster on my professionally made couch and not something I stitched together from the flesh of my enemies.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kvlt! posted:

I still cant believe allow all isnt in vanilla

bunches and bunches of poo poo like this, yeah, things that require immense tedious micromanagement are just left as they are. at least there's mods for them I guess.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

...But then again at least all the vanilla endgames are basically the same, either A) survive for 15 days and babysit your spaceship or B) survive for 15 days and babysit the visiting system lord or C) survive for 15 days in your hastily built shacks in the middle of nowehere.

Does anyone actually anymore bother to "end" their colony runs or do you just move to another map/scenario?

I always try to end mine with some kind of self-imposed goal, either narrative or mechanical.

For example, on my most recent full playthrough, I started with three transhumanist pawns, all the super high-tech mods, and all the biological and bionic modification mods. Glitterworld transhumanists, fled from a society that won't let them modify their own bodies at will. Once I started replacing body parts, I turned on Igor Invader, and the aim was to get all three of my starting pawns to maximum transhumanism, with every body part replaced, and every additional part possible, while under constant, unrelenting siege. It was fun!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My end game is when I have a fully functional skymind and a maxxed out mega entity running a dozen souped up robot bodies to make a perfect colony guarded by hacked mechanoids.

edit: Bonus points if I can upload my original colonist on a one-person start, and become eternal.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

cugel posted:

Having the possibility to cap a game with an ending is a perk not a flaw, you weirdos.

Didn't say it's bad, just awkward/anticlimactic with how kludged-in the game mechanics seem.

Rimworld's tone is trying to take itself somewhat seriously, disproportionate to how much sense it actually makes, but I'm a crazy weirdo that likes weird/absurd things so the thematic inconsistencies (lack of motivation or conflict-driver) aren't really a problem. I'm fine explaining something with "because explosions"

CapnAndy posted:

My win condition is "am I completely secure against anything the game can throw at me, and is there any lategame content I still want to try out".

Once I get to the point where my colony seems overpowered enough to beat vanilla endgame I just start adding progressively more mods and throwing overtuned sliders at it until my framerate dies.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I used to use the spaceship on occasion as a way to have a peaceful culling of pawns, in comparison to the other method of making a caravan with the pawns I liked and were useful to starting over and then triggering some nasty raid quests back at home base which would usually get overrun and destroyed. Then came Rimdeed and now I just sell hire them out.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

All this discussion shows that there is definitely room for a RimWorld 2 despite the massive moddability of the current game.

Even with mods, there are some things you just can't do or are possible but are awkward and kludgy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if I were going to suggest major improvements that might be on the level of a sequel it would be some sort of fluid simulation (even just on the level of "tile is <x>% full of <fluid>") vehicle simulation (and multi-tile mobile entities/pawns in general) and a pass on combat to add some of the simulation depth of CE, cover penetration, pushing the range out a little perhaps, making it work better for massed combat, some sort of suppression mechanic maybe. Oh and directional lighting too, that would be nice.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Has anyone tried that medieval rimworld clone? Are z-levels the future?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going Medieval? It does look good but I will have to see how it pans out, right now unless you really want Z levels and a medieval setting I think I would generally prefer rimworld for the sake of breadth of content.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it has a pretty good basic framework but it's barely a game, play it for 10 hours and you've seen everything there is to see. there is a very minimal incident system, no trading, no modding, just occasionally you get raided by some guys whose AI is very easy to exploit. In a year or two maybe it will go somewhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder how it's going to work with the limited technology scale though. One of the things I really like about rimworld is it allows you to have basically anything because of the setup of the world, everything from stone age to super space tech. A lot of the fun of the game comes from throwing all those things together so you might have to fight piles of guys with clubs or mega robots or guys in halo armour, with any of those technologies yourself. A space age armour or weapon can be a valuable artifact to a colony that can't yet produce them. And obviously I think the psionics system is a good thing to have in too and also feeds in well, I think, to the colony builder aspect. Also clearly I think the combat element benefits from a wide variety of equipment to use.

Hard to really see how you could keep a game interesting with just bows and arrows and swords.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Hard to really see how you could keep a game interesting with just bows and arrows and swords.

The obvious way would be to go all in on fantasy elements like magic, various creatures, etc...., but it seems that Going Medieval very pointedly doesn't want to do that, so :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like the completely eclectic framing of Rimworld's mod scene. A WH40k terminator riding a chocobo throws a fireball at a marauding band of dwarfs to protect the terminators' oilfields. A drow sharpens her machining skills by crafting a series of AK-47s to be sold off to the nearby shaman.

A guy in fallout power armor looks at the camera and says "war. war never changes" before raising a bunch of skeletons to clean the hallways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if they went full magic that could be quite good, but I don't think they are looking to do that unfortunately.

I suppose you could try adding more depth in the simulation aspect like how ONI does, but that often suffers from a lack of outside pushes that feel fair. People coming to raid the colony offers a granular level of effect on the colony and requires active management to achieve the best result, whereas stuff like a crop failure just feels RNG and crap, and this is true in Rimworld too because the actual effect generally has to be unavoidable and the challenge then becomes whether you have the surplus or robustness to survive it, but I think there is not the same sense of achievement you get with fending off a raid successfully, it is always a setback, and it is rarely cinematic. For that I think that combat elements or at least a tactical control element (dispatching pawns to respond to storm fires for example) really are one of the best areas to expand on.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

nessin posted:

Sure, building a comfy home where you can convince the awful ball of murder not to actually murder you is a great reason to settle down. However Star Wars Episode 7.185 was due for release two days after the Rimworld crash and I'm not banking on convincing my Royalty friends to import it or some other junk freighter to be shot down with a copy on it to see it. I need to get home, grab a ice cold pepsi, and watch the disaster on my professionally made couch and not something I stitched together from the flesh of my enemies.

Keep in mind, the canon is that there is no FTL in the Rimworld setting. So unless the trip that went awry was extremely loving short relatively, everyone you know is probably either octogenerians already or dead. Your home is probably sold if you didn't sell it before leaving.

You probably don't have anything to go back to if you leave the planet.

And even if you do leave, where the gently caress are you going to end up? There's a good chance the destination is just as bad, if you don't luck into a glitterworld.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

jokes posted:

I like the completely eclectic framing of Rimworld's mod scene. A WH40k terminator riding a chocobo throws a fireball at a marauding band of dwarfs to protect the terminators' oilfields. A drow sharpens her machining skills by crafting a series of AK-47s to be sold off to the nearby shaman.

A guy in fallout power armor looks at the camera and says "war. war never changes" before raising a bunch of skeletons to clean the hallways.

This is the true Rimworld experience.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah if they went full magic that could be quite good, but I don't think they are looking to do that unfortunately.

I suppose you could try adding more depth in the simulation aspect like how ONI does, but that often suffers from a lack of outside pushes that feel fair. People coming to raid the colony offers a granular level of effect on the colony and requires active management to achieve the best result, whereas stuff like a crop failure just feels RNG and crap, and this is true in Rimworld too because the actual effect generally has to be unavoidable and the challenge then becomes whether you have the surplus or robustness to survive it, but I think there is not the same sense of achievement you get with fending off a raid successfully, it is always a setback, and it is rarely cinematic. For that I think that combat elements or at least a tactical control element (dispatching pawns to respond to storm fires for example) really are one of the best areas to expand on.

trying to apply ONI physics-simulationism to medieval combat with 100% mundane-realism rules leads to the cursed phrase: Tactical Shitheap Asphyxiation Oubliette

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was sort of meaning how ONI really requires you to carefully decide how your dupes are going to spend their time and simply constructing a livable environment is the challenge of the game, rather than specifically thinking you need to build ye olde medieval piss water purifier by plumbing your dunny pit through a room full of aqua regia or whatever but sure we can go with that :v:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Here's a weird question: is there a mod or something that just locks the weather to a certain specific option? Like "permanently raining" or whatever. I figured it'd be a scenario option but apparently weather isn't something you can tweak in there and the lack of it is putting a crimp in my plans to torture pawns with a horrible Hoth-ish perpetual blizzard colony.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Asimo posted:

Here's a weird question: is there a mod or something that just locks the weather to a certain specific option? Like "permanently raining" or whatever. I figured it'd be a scenario option but apparently weather isn't something you can tweak in there and the lack of it is putting a crimp in my plans to torture pawns with a horrible Hoth-ish perpetual blizzard colony.

Head into the biomedefs file, make a backup outside the core folder, and change <baseWeatherCommonalities> to 0 for all undesirable weather types and 100 for the one you want. That should work.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Asimo posted:

Okay I feel like this would actually be really interesting and cool to play. Probably not, but at least thematic (and pretty).

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Complications posted:

Head into the biomedefs file, make a backup outside the core folder, and change <baseWeatherCommonalities> to 0 for all undesirable weather types and 100 for the one you want. That should work.
Oh, thanks. More awkward than I was expecting (especially since I was going to use a modded weather type) but I'll probably figure something out from this.

Seems like a weird lack anyway considering that weather types do have some actual game effects.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

IDK how useful this will be, but the Crash Landed mod forces No Rain until well after the end of the initial crash period, in order to allow some really impressive forest fires to develop.

So it seems like mods are capable of doing some poo poo to weather, no idea whether forcing a blizzard at all times that waywould have weird knock-on effects.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've seen some people on youtube do challenge ice sheet runs where they have three stacking permanent cold snaps going on simultaneously. So there might be a way to force permanent weather in scenario options?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I learned that I can put bionics and implants in androids I print, and combined with the inbuilt modules you can do some really silly stuff. This means you can have a 300% psychic sensitive android before implants, or an android that never needs to sleep, doesn't bleed, doesn't need to eat, and is built like a brick poo poo house, hits like one, and moves like it's rocket propelled. And all this is before implants. I need to make the most obscene melee pawn ever now I think.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

LonsomeSon posted:

IDK how useful this will be, but the Crash Landed mod forces No Rain until well after the end of the initial crash period, in order to allow some really impressive forest fires to develop.

So it seems like mods are capable of doing some poo poo to weather, no idea whether forcing a blizzard at all times that waywould have weird knock-on effects.

Ironically, I almost always either outright disable the "No Rain" thing, or set it at like quarter of the original duration, because the fires will almost certainly burn all of the vegetation on the map and Rimworld is really bad at regrowing it, so it ensures that you will be playing on map that has almost no plants (outside of some grass, I guess) you didn't grow yourself.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 23, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ironically, I almost always either outright disable the "No Rain" thing, or set it at like quarter of the original duration, because the fires will almost certainly burn all of vegetation on the map and Rimworld is really bad at regrowing it, so it ensures that you will be playing on map that has almost no plants (outside of some grass, I guess) you didn't grow yourself.

I'm positive there was a mod that tweaks the vegetation growth pattern and speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Just now realizing how weird it is that there is no grassland in Rimworld. It's all scrubland, even the rainy template areas.