Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Is there a trade/crafts name for grouting? What would I search by ('lixensed xxx')?

Licensing names are very state/muni dependent. I'd guess you're looking for someone who tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PageMaster posted:

Is there a trade/crafts name for grouting? What would I search by ('lixensed xxx')?

:pray: Please god let it be a licensed groot. :pray:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

FCKGW posted:

This sounds lovely unless you have textured drywall like I do. Anything bigger than a 6x6 inch square is getting a professional out with the air sprayer and hopper full of drywall mud. You can try to DIY it but it will never, ever look as good as having pro match the knockdown texture.

You are absolutely correct. Our walls were flat and untextured. Texture is definitely a job I'd have someone else do!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks! Not a groot or grooter, but ended up being much less exciting 'tile contractor.'

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wow, your previous owner really hosed you over there. If that valve doesn't work (and it may not based on the rust), you'd going to have to demo parts of that wall to get it out to replace it. At a minimum that wooden stud is going to have to go.

quote:

Previous owner strikes again! There's no way this is code compliant. Good luck if them meter ever needs to be replaced and is a slightly different size.

Where's your regulator? This should be somewhere between the head of service valve and the meter, and looks something like this:

Also buried in the wall somewhere?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devicenull posted:

Where's your regulator? This should be somewhere between the head of service valve and the meter, and looks something like this:

It also needs to be in open air. So if it's buried in the wall that's very very not good at all.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

It also needs to be in open air. So if it's buried in the wall that's very very not good at all.

Indoor ones *should* have a vent to the outside, but uh, who's to say the PO didn't go "what's this pipe with nothing connected on the end, it's in my way, I'll just remove it"

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

devicenull posted:

Wow, your previous owner really hosed you over there. If that valve doesn't work (and it may not based on the rust), you'd going to have to demo parts of that wall to get it out to replace it. At a minimum that wooden stud is going to have to go.

Previous owner strikes again! There's no way this is code compliant. Good luck if them meter ever needs to be replaced and is a slightly different size.

Responding to this and below it.

PO is dumb as gently caress. As observed.

Location is NYC and I’m not familiar with code here, I’ll have to see if I can find out.

Luckily, that is not a wall! It’s a false quarter wall that sticks perpendicular to the actual wall, as a ~4” separator between a countertop and an oven (guess which side the valve is on :v:) for an illegal basement apartment! Obv we do not have a tenant there, and have no plans to.

The valve is about 10 feet from the meter. Luckily, that meter cabinet is 2 doors wall mounted only because there’s a window there, so taking it down would be a non issue. Inspector seemed unconcerned about that aspect at least.

I’m not home to take more pictures, I’ll have to later.

As far as the regulator? No loving idea where that is. There is a small vent on the direct opposite side of the wall where the meter is. How would I go about guessing where the regulator is and making sure it’s vented properly? I’m hoping it’s in that quarter wall the the valve, but with this idiot who the gently caress knows.

I also have not tried to turn the valve and am now terrified to try.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Lol. Without context I thought maybe they just tried to mask an ugly meter on the side of a house or something, but then that zoom out was just lol.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I thought the windows in my new-to-me condo were just dirty, but looking closer I see at least 1 of the double pane windows has a lot of fog and buildup in between the two panes. Has anyone done glass replacement, is it worth it vs. going the full window route?

Kinda disappointing because the building and windows are only ~15 years old, but my climate has a lot of variation which probably kills the seals.

Or I'm deciding just to live with a few windows that are permanently foggy.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Verman posted:

Lol. Without context I thought maybe they just tried to mask an ugly meter on the side of a house or something, but then that zoom out was just lol.

:same: The zoomed out photo gave me a pretty good laugh.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

What the

hobbez fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 21, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My understanding regarding the meter is that this is just PO being stupid and lazy, and it’s funny, and not an “oh gently caress I have to fix this now”, right?

… right?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Responding to this and below it.

Location is NYC and I’m not familiar with code here, I’ll have to see if I can find out.

Luckily, that is not a wall! It’s a false quarter wall that sticks perpendicular to the actual wall, as a ~4” separator between a countertop and an oven (guess which side the valve is on :v:) for an illegal basement apartment! Obv we do not have a tenant there, and have no plans to.

The valve is about 10 feet from the meter. Luckily, that meter cabinet is 2 doors wall mounted only because there’s a window there, so taking it down would be a non issue. Inspector seemed unconcerned about that aspect at least.

I’m not home to take more pictures, I’ll have to later.

As far as the regulator? No loving idea where that is. There is a small vent on the direct opposite side of the wall where the meter is. How would I go about guessing where the regulator is and making sure it’s vented properly? I’m hoping it’s in that quarter wall the the valve, but with this idiot who the gently caress knows.

I also have not tried to turn the valve and am now terrified to try.

Your only real way to find the regulator is going to be to trace either the pipe between the meter and shutoff, or between the vent and the (hopefully connected) regulator. The vent usually looks something like this (screen side goes down):

Luckily, if that valve is before the meter it's typically the utilities responsibility. However, I'm confused.. that meter seems to be on an outside wall, and the gas supply comes in from a completely different wall? That seems like it would be a fairly unusual setup, are you sure the shutoff you're looking for isn't outside on the wall behind the meter?

I'm wondering if the shutoff you're looking for is actually the valve above the meter. Did the inspector say what that was for?

My understanding regarding the meter is that this is just PO being stupid and lazy, and it’s funny, and not an “oh gently caress I have to fix this now”, right?

… right?

Unless there's a regulator in your basement with the vent disconnected, this is not urgent.

devicenull fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 21, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Thanks goons, I just learned what the weird pipe sticking out my exterior wall is. I too have a weirdo cabinet for my gas meter. Must have been the latest fashion.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

devicenull posted:

Your only real way to find the regulator is going to be to trace either the pipe between the meter and shutoff, or between the vent and the (hopefully connected) regulator. The vent usually looks something like this (screen side goes down):

Luckily, if that valve is before the meter it's typically the utilities responsibility. However, I'm confused.. that meter seems to be on an outside wall, and the gas supply comes in from a completely different wall? That seems like it would be a fairly unusual setup, are you sure the shutoff you're looking for isn't outside on the wall behind the meter?

I'm wondering if the shutoff you're looking for is actually the valve above the meter. Did the inspector say what that was for?

Unless there's a regulator in your basement with the vent disconnected, this is not urgent.

It’s NYC so things are weird, and there was a giant gas explosion that killed a few people a few years ago so they’re a ton more specific about it.

There is a street side valve that I’m not supposed to touch because it shuts off everyone on the block.

The line from the street goes directly into the meter. It’s a mostly in-ground basement, so that meter is about the same height as the ground.

That valve on the meter is not the head of service valve according to inspector. That just cuts service to the meter (which obviously they’re not ok with as I need to pay for any gas that leaks!!).

I’ll have to check out the vent and see if that’s the regulator. Or if I can find the regulator. I’ll probably post more findings.

Thanks for the info!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It’s NYC so things are weird, and there was a giant gas explosion that killed a few people a few years ago so they’re a ton more specific about it.

Yea, I know. My wife works for the company that sells them all the pipe/valves/etc

quote:

There is a street side valve that I’m not supposed to touch because it shuts off everyone on the block.

The line from the street goes directly into the meter. It’s a mostly in-ground basement, so that meter is about the same height as the ground.

That valve on the meter is not the head of service valve according to inspector. That just cuts service to the meter (which obviously they’re not ok with as I need to pay for any gas that leaks!!).

I’ll have to check out the vent and see if that’s the regulator. Or if I can find the regulator. I’ll probably post more findings.

Thanks for the info!

Take a look at the diagrams on page 99 and on: https://www.coned.com/-/media/files/coned/documents/small-medium-large-businesses/gasyellowbook.pdf

It certainly looks like the head of service valve comes before the gas meter. Maybe he was talking about something different (like a whole house shutoff?) I've never seen a gas meter without a regulator, but I'm very surprised that it's not between the street and the meter (and even more confused why you'd have a vent but no visible regulator).

It's also possible the guy inspecting the meter was a contractor, and had no idea what he was talking about (and was maybe trying to say the regulator was hidden?)

I'm not in coned territory, but every gas setup I've seen only has a main shutoff valve before the meter. I've never seen one with a different shutoff after the meter.

Ah, maybe you don't have a regulator: https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/164079/i-have-no-regulator-before-or-after-gas-meter

devicenull fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 21, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

devicenull posted:

Yea, I know. My wife works for the company that sells them all the pipe/valves/etc

Take a look at the diagrams on page 99 and on: https://www.coned.com/-/media/files/coned/documents/small-medium-large-businesses/gasyellowbook.pdf

It certainly looks like the head of service valve comes before the gas meter. Maybe he was talking about something different (like a whole house shutoff?) I've never seen a gas meter without a regulator, but I'm very surprised that it's not between the street and the meter (and even more confused why you'd have a vent but no visible regulator).

It's also possible the guy inspecting the meter was a contractor, and had no idea what he was talking about (and was maybe trying to say the regulator was hidden?)

I'm not in coned territory, but every gas setup I've seen only has a main shutoff valve before the meter. I've never seen one with a different shutoff after the meter.

Ah, maybe you don't have a regulator: https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/164079/i-have-no-regulator-before-or-after-gas-meter

Yeah he was definitely a contractor. Based on those images, the valve should be 100% before the meter, and the valve I pictured is clearly not.

Maybe I’ll call coned and see if I can get someone who’s not a contractor out who can actually answer questions.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Just a quick warning, since local code and zoning varies so much from place to place: My grandparents lived out in Queens, and when they had an inspector come in to check out electrical work in their kitchen, the guy observed that they technically had part of the house built out into a semi-separate unit. They had done it because their daughter and her kids lived at home - it was a multi-generational household, so they put in a few extras so she could have some privacy and semblance of independent life. Regardless of who lived there, this was technically illegal because the area wasn't zoned for multi-family housing. SFH only, and multi-generationals had to have no separate facilities. One kitchen only, one dining room, no duplicated utilities, etc.

What started as "fix the kitchen wiring" turned into "remodel everything to remove all separations in the house and rip out the appliances in the half-kitchen too."

Just wanted to give fair warning if you have stuff get inspected. I don't know how your town works, but keep that in mind as a potential risk.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sundae posted:

Just a quick warning, since local code and zoning varies so much from place to place: My grandparents lived out in Queens, and when they had an inspector come in to check out electrical work in their kitchen, the guy observed that they technically had part of the house built out into a semi-separate unit. They had done it because their daughter and her kids lived at home - it was a multi-generational household, so they put in a few extras so she could have some privacy and semblance of independent life. Regardless of who lived there, this was technically illegal because the area wasn't zoned for multi-family housing. SFH only, and multi-generationals had to have no separate facilities. One kitchen only, one dining room, no duplicated utilities, etc.

What started as "fix the kitchen wiring" turned into "remodel everything to remove all separations in the house and rip out the appliances in the half-kitchen too."

Just wanted to give fair warning if you have stuff get inspected. I don't know how your town works, but keep that in mind as a potential risk.

Thanks. I appreciate it and it’s a real concern here. The house is definitely zoned single family.

Unfortunately, this was a “pass this inspection or eat escalating fines” kind of inspection. So I’m stuck figuring it out.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thanks. I appreciate it and it’s a real concern here. The house is definitely zoned single family.

Unfortunately, this was a “pass this inspection or eat escalating fines” kind of inspection. So I’m stuck figuring it out.

I'd suggest you instead find someone that can do gas work - like an HVAC tech or a plumber (the term you're looking for is gas fitter, but anyone that installs gas appliances would probably be qualified). They should be able to figure out wtf is going on, and will probably not report uh, violations to anyone. Note that it's very unlikely that they're going to touch anything on coned's side of the meter - but I'm very confused by what this guy was actually looking for.

Did he leave you a written report at all? If not, I'd suggest calling Coned and getting a copy of it. This should help whoever you hire to do it to figure out what this guy was looking for.

If anywhere, a "head of service" valve is going to be behind the meter, or outside. I can't come up with any way where it would be somewhere further along inside your house.

Also note that anything before the meter is generally the utilities problem... so maybe calling coned and saying you can't find your head of service valve are the magic words you need to get someone competent out.

Edit: How do they read your meter? Do you let someone into your basement apartment every month?

devicenull fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 22, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Regarding a written report, I did not get one. He said the only thing that failed is I need physical access to the head of service valve. If we had found that valve while he was there I think he would have passed it.

Honestly? I don’t know how they read the meter. Moved into this place end of April.

The meter doesn’t look like one of the smart remote monitoring ones (con Ed went crazy installing them A couple years ago), butThe reading they had on the bill seems correct based on the number on the meter.

My gas use was also much higher than I expected (something large like 19 therms and based on how the piping connects I think my water heater is oil fired).

This is all very helpful info. At the moment, I think my plan of action is to call con Ed and ask exactly what the gently caress they want. It’s also possible that valve pictured is before the meter and the contractor was an idiot. Im certainly not ruling that out.

Depending on what con Ed says, and depending on if I can find the regulator or vent, I will probably also call a contractor. I’ll also post more pictures later so people can laugh and then help me unfuck this.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Regarding a written report, I did not get one. He said the only thing that failed is I need physical access to the head of service valve. If we had found that valve while he was there I think he would have passed it.

Honestly? I don’t know how they read the meter. Moved into this place end of April.

The meter doesn’t look like one of the smart remote monitoring ones (con Ed went crazy installing them A couple years ago), butThe reading they had on the bill seems correct based on the number on the meter.

My gas use was also much higher than I expected (something large like 19 therms and based on how the piping connects I think my water heater is oil fired).

This is all very helpful info. At the moment, I think my plan of action is to call con Ed and ask exactly what the gently caress they want. It’s also possible that valve pictured is before the meter and the contractor was an idiot. Im certainly not ruling that out.

Depending on what con Ed says, and depending on if I can find the regulator or vent, I will probably also call a contractor. I’ll also post more pictures later so people can laugh and then help me unfuck this.

You could always call them up and mention that you'd like a remote read meter installed, and see what they say. At least here in NJ the utility was more then excited to do that, and I had an appointment a few days later to swap out the meter.

At least on my wireless meter, the FCC ID and serial # are printed on the top part of that plastic housing.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
lmao

The Trex for our deck just got delivered. Completely by surprise, but that's par for the course so far.

Truck put the pallets on the lawn this time, instead of the driveway... right next to the framing lumber that's been sitting there for 2 weeks.

The story so far: contractor got dimensions reversed on the permit (despite having it in writing multiple times and also confirming over the phone). We knew this as of 4 weeks ago and he corrected it on the permit (and the online permit has a note to that effect), but apparently the city hasn't signed off on the change yet. I can't see that level of detail in the online system so who knows if that's a load of BS or not. It took like 4 weeks for the initial approval so I guess I wouldn't be surprised if the city was still sitting on it.

Last text this morning was, "Going to <city> trying to find out hold up."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Has anybody got a handy-dandy checklist of "poo poo you may not think of for buying/moving into your first home" that I can reference anywhere?

I'm under contract/on track to close on this home on 7/26 (I agreed to a long closing period way back at the end of May to allow the current owners time to finish the remodeling in the home they are moving to in order to get them to agree to my offer/not keep it open for a bidding war before they move).

The home inspector's report said the home was in great shape, with:

-original hardwood flooring in most of the home, except the laundry and bathrooms which had tile put in.
-"generous" insulation in the crawlspace and attic.
-everything up to code except the lack of a handrail on the front steps (made an addendum to the sale agreement where the current owners would add one before closing, so that's taken care of).
-That front porch with rocking chairs in the pictures? That flooring is cement pressed and stained to look like wood planks. That was a loving mind-blown moment for me because I'd never heard of that before seeing it. Probably not a big deal in the scheme of things but I like it.

The home appraisal came out $5k above my offer, so I'm good there as far as financing goes (and the monthly payment/insurance/utilities is something I can swing at my income, so I'm good there). I'm also getting a home warranty policy with the home for everything for the next two years, so gently caress me I think I'm in good shape there.

Other things:

-All of the kitchen appliances stay with the home (crapshoot there, but I figure if I even get two years out of them I should be able to save up for replacements by then).
-They're taking the washing machine/dryer, but I expected that. Things might line up for a sale at the local Lowe's/Home Depot to get a not-too-expensive set for the week I close.
-The outbuilding in the backyard stays, and it has power running to it. I figure after I get settled in the house I'll go through that building and caulk for drafts/insulate everything and turn it into a hobby shop.

Things I'm worrying about/maybe being too paranoid about?

-Cleaning? Is it worth hiring a cleaning service to clean everything down/clean the HVAC system before I move in? The previous owners have dogs and I'm mildly allergic (and could smell the dogs throughout the house when I toured it and had to take a benadryl after the tour to make my sinuses quit draining, but I'm not sure if a deep cleaning is really needed once they're gone vs. just changing filters and "normal" mopping/dusting/vacuuming).

-Catch-all "holy poo poo, dude, you missed *critical thing easily seen in photos in the listing*! This is what you need to do!"?

Also, I'll try not to gently caress up when redecorating, but is there anything decorating-wise I should try to avoid doing/make sure I try to do?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 22, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I never thought of getting a professional clean before moving in but I think it's a great idea. You'll never have such easy access to the entire house again.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I highly recommend getting a thorough cleaning before moving in. So much easier to do and you'll enjoy your new house more. My wife is mildly allergic to dogs and extremely cats and the previous owners had both, so it was a must do for us. But even if they had no pets I think we would have had it cleaned. Compared to previous moves, the house smelled so nice when we moved in and we didn't discover any dirty/smelly corners or cubby holes.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I posted in the home buying thread, but absolutely, get a professional cleaner to come out to do the entire house. My house looked fine on the surface, but the previous owner had a dog and apparently all non-visible surfaces (under/behind fridge) were absolutely coated in dog hair. We bought off-market so while the place wasn't dirty, it was never staged so there was never any deep cleaning performed. The cleaning crew made the house feel "new."

HVAC is less important to do before moving in (unless your allergies are bad), as you'll likely have to have a different cleaner come out specifically to do that and it's not like furniture will get in the way.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I looked into a professional cleaning service and they did literally everything I was already planning on doing myself, with nice caveats such as "won't move/clean behind appliances", or "won't clean hard to reach areas (we do not bring a step ladder)" so I think a professional cleaning company is very much ymmv. I also like cleaning though, so

Duct cleaning seems to be my #1 "get this done" thing from my research and poking around; unfortunately the company I contacted is booked till December (I close today lol). If there's carpet, now would also be the time to get it repaired/cleaned!

Another important one is rekey and reprogram any garage door openers and all external locks.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yeah; my previous owner left my house mostly clean and the professionals I brought in really halfassed the rest of it; they just did basic poo poo over again (re vacuum clean carpets, etc) instead of getting into some of the finer detail I would’ve appreciated more (wipe down baseboards, etc.)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

devicenull posted:

You could always call them up and mention that you'd like a remote read meter installed, and see what they say. At least here in NJ the utility was more then excited to do that, and I had an appointment a few days later to swap out the meter.

At least on my wireless meter, the FCC ID and serial # are printed on the top part of that plastic housing.

Well. The inspector showed up today and passed me based on that valve.

So crisis adverted for now. Still want to figure out what the actual gently caress is happening here, but now there’s not more ticking fine bomb.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat it we are supposed to close next week. The seller yesterday said they wanted to close a few days early, which is perfect for us, so we jumped through all the hoops to reschedule everything, and now they are changing their mind and want to stick to the original closing date. They've been annoying as hell throughout this whole process.

Edit ugh thought this was the home buying thread but I'm sure I'll have content for this thread soon enough

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

I looked into a professional cleaning service and they did literally everything I was already planning on doing myself, with nice caveats such as "won't move/clean behind appliances", or "won't clean hard to reach areas (we do not bring a step ladder)" so I think a professional cleaning company is very much ymmv. I also like cleaning though, so

Duct cleaning seems to be my #1 "get this done" thing from my research and poking around; unfortunately the company I contacted is booked till December (I close today lol). If there's carpet, now would also be the time to get it repaired/cleaned!

Another important one is rekey and reprogram any garage door openers and all external locks.

If you hired a cleaner to do a move in cleaning who refuses to do upper cabinets when empty you are a fool. Not moving large appliances I understand.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

If you hired a cleaner to do a move in cleaning who refuses to do upper cabinets when empty you are a fool. Not moving large appliances I understand.

I def didn't hire them, this was just all on their "services" page. But idk, wiping down baseboards, cleaning window tracks, "vacuuming cobwebs"(literal quote from the one over been discussing) all seems like... standard cleaning to me :shrug:

Wish I could smoke a weed and do it, but I still enjoy cleaning even when sober(or while drinking beers :cheerdoge:) but of the 3 companies I scoped out, none seemed worth it to me since it was nothing I wouldn't/couldn't do.

I should add though, that I have a full month of overlap with the current sublet I'm living in, and that is definitely colouring my opinions on a cleaning service. I'd still do it myself even if it weren't the case, but being able to keep the future crib like 80% empty will make everything much MUCH easier.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Johnny Truant posted:

If there's carpet, now would also be the time to get it repaired/cleaned!

There is no carpet of any kind in the house. It's all hardwood and tile (I'm excited because gently caress carpet).

quote:

Of course. No garage door to worry about but I'll have to get four door locks redone (front door, back door, carport door and door that's in the room off the carport that is disconnected from the rest of the house--best I can tell it's what used to be the laundry room back when the house was originally built in the 1960s).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Definitely deep clean what you can before moving in. Whether that's done by you or a service, it's far easier before it's filled with stuff. Also, wash the walls. Even if it's just with a damp rag or sponge, it's surprising how much dirt can sit on a wall.

If you're going to repaint, consider doing it before you move in (schedule cleaners for after). Our house had a weird sweet linen scented candle smell than didn't go away after cleaning. Painting goes a long way in getting rid of smells and now the house smells ... neutral if that makes sense. Kitchen cabinets (especially near the stove or that held spices) are a big smell sponge. Wash them well and put some baking soda boxes in there for a bit.

Maybe get your HVAC cleaned if they had dogs, and change your furnace filter a bit sooner. Consider running the really nice filters for a bit to catch everything they possibly can.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There is no carpet of any kind in the house. It's all hardwood and tile (I'm excited because gently caress carpet).

Of course. No garage door to worry about but I'll have to get four door locks redone (front door, back door, carport door and door that's in the room off the carport that is disconnected from the rest of the house--best I can tell it's what used to be the laundry room back when the house was originally built in the 1960s).

Look for deadbolts. For some reason one of the doors in our house didn't have a deadbolt, so we had the locksmith add one while he was rekeying everything else.

I had just assumed it was there... didn't even check until the locksmith asked if we wanted one added.

Paint. If you're going to paint anything, do it ASAP. You're going to tell yourself you'll get to it later once you're settled in, but you won't, and by time you move a bunch of furniture/stuff in you won't want to.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Verman posted:

Definitely deep clean what you can before moving in. Whether that's done by you or a service, it's far easier before it's filled with stuff. Also, wash the walls. Even if it's just with a damp rag or sponge, it's surprising how much dirt can sit on a wall.

If you're going to repaint, consider doing it before you move in (schedule cleaners for after). Our house had a weird sweet linen scented candle smell than didn't go away after cleaning. Painting goes a long way in getting rid of smells and now the house smells ... neutral if that makes sense. Kitchen cabinets (especially near the stove or that held spices) are a big smell sponge. Wash them well and put some baking soda boxes in there for a bit.

Maybe get your HVAC cleaned if they had dogs, and change your furnace filter a bit sooner. Consider running the really nice filters for a bit to catch everything they possibly can.

Guess I'll call around the local cleaning (and HVAC company) services to see if I can get some ballpark prices for cleaning whole home while it's empty/what the lead-time is for scheduling that kind of cleaning.

I mean, I could do the basic home cleaning myself but depending on how much they charge I might lean towards having one really good cleaning done by professionals and then just clean up after myself from then on.

DaveSauce posted:

Look for deadbolts. For some reason one of the doors in our house didn't have a deadbolt, so we had the locksmith add one while he was rekeying everything else.

I had just assumed it was there... didn't even check until the locksmith asked if we wanted one added.

Paint. If you're going to paint anything, do it ASAP. You're going to tell yourself you'll get to it later once you're settled in, but you won't, and by time you move a bunch of furniture/stuff in you won't want to.

All three doors that go to the interior of the house have deadbolts, and so does the carport's storage room.

As far as paint goes, yeah, that's something I'm going to have to wait to decide on until after all the previous owner's stuff is out of the house and I get a good look at everything. I liked the color scheme when I toured the house but that may change depending on what may or may not have been hidden by furniture.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 22, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Has anybody got a handy-dandy checklist of "poo poo you may not think of for buying/moving into your first home" that I can reference anywhere?

I'm under contract/on track to close on this home on 7/26 (I agreed to a long closing period way back at the end of May to allow the current owners time to finish the remodeling in the home they are moving to in order to get them to agree to my offer/not keep it open for a bidding war before they move).

Generally, make sure you have tools and cleaning supplies handy when you move in.

Good tools to have, in my experience, include:
- shop vac
- standard tool set (hammer, pliers, saw, both types of screw driver, wrench, etc)
- rubber mallet (I found this to be surprisingly handy)
- 30' tape measure
- pipe snake (we have gummed up ancient pipes and this $50 doohickey has saved us a buttload in plumber costs)
- multimeter
- duct tape
- box cutter/Olfa knife
- maybe some basic yard tools (rake, shovel, pruning shears, maybe a mattock if you like planting things and have difficult soil)

For cleaning stuff, just make sure it's packed so it's easy to pull out right away. Otherwise, having some paper towels and/or shop rags, a bucket, and some general purpose cleaner (like Pinalen) immediately on hand is good.

quote:

-Cleaning? Is it worth hiring a cleaning service to clean everything down/clean the HVAC system before I move in? The previous owners have dogs and I'm mildly allergic (and could smell the dogs throughout the house when I toured it and had to take a benadryl after the tour to make my sinuses quit draining, but I'm not sure if a deep cleaning is really needed once they're gone vs. just changing filters and "normal" mopping/dusting/vacuuming).

Yes. We sorely regret not getting our house professionally cleaned before moving in. It was way grosser than it looked and then we got bedbugs (not sure where they came from but them already being in the house was a solid possibility). If there are decent carpets you want to keep, get them steam cleaned.

I don't think a professional cleaning negates the need to have your own cleaning tools/supplies handy. Things could get messed up during move in/immediate tweaks/repairs, and you might get a weird urge to scrub down your front door and exterior trim before the guests arrive.

quote:

Also, I'll try not to gently caress up when redecorating, but is there anything decorating-wise I should try to avoid doing/make sure I try to do?

The gray on the walls seems a bit dark to me. If I were you I'd paint the walls, but mainly because I hate gray. But if you like gray, I think a paler warm gray would work well. Then again the existing colors are hard to gauge - sometimes it looks like it's cool gray, then warm griege, then almost taupe. Not sure if they actually used multiple shades or if it's variance in lighting. I am a fan of the cobalt blue bathroom and the knotty pine (I have a giant soft spot for knotty pine).

For furnishings, avoid large squishy pieces like in the listing photos - they visually shrink the space like no one's business, especially with the 8' ceiling. Stick with smaller, sleeker pieces with clean lines for an airier, less weighty vibe.

For lighting, use plenty of lamps in the living room. I only see one lamp in the sellers' setup. That space could use at least four. And then you can cut your reliance on the bright, unflattering overhead light. And kitchen lighting could be improved with some distributed can lighting, though not sure how far you want to go in modifying built in lighting. Otherwise you could try to add some under-cabinet lighting to counteract the shadow you cast on your work space from the single-point ceiling light that's at your back when you're working at a perimeter counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

crossposted, but

stupid previous owner! The bathrooms don't go in the attic!