Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

IG-88 posted:

What’s the link dude? I collect purple vapor.

https://www.discogs.com/2814-%E6%96%B0%E3%81%97%E3%81%84%E6%97%A5%E3%81%AE%E8%AA%95%E7%94%9F-Birth-Of-A-New-Day/release/14348683
or
https://www.discogs.com/2814-%E6%96%B0%E3%81%97%E3%81%84%E6%97%A5%E3%81%AE%E8%AA%95%E7%94%9F/release/11242501

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Found this at a Goodwill yesterday.

Not my photo. My cover looks a little better, but the seams are half split. There's one scratch on the disc, but not a bad one. It's a 10" pressing, slightly more flexible than, but as thick as shellac (this one, according to Discogs).

The collection had pressings on 45s, shellac and on this in-between 10".

That’s a cool find.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Does not compute.

Are we going to have to have a Billy Joel throwdown?

Motherfucker could write a song. Want 40 years of history? He's got you covered. Want an ode to a piano? You better believe it. Want a song about convincing a Catholic to have sex with him? Dude has got you covered. Want a Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons tribute? He's got that and a doowop song. Want a tender romantic ballad? He's got a few. Want a song about the collapse of the American dream? He took it to the charts in 1982. Want a song about phone sex? Hey, he's got you right there. Want a song about a singer in a bar and his observations about the patrons?

Well you got me. That's the only song he doesn't have.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Does not compute.

Don't care much for the stranger, eh?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

petit choux posted:

Don't care much for the stranger, eh?
Which is arguably 1 song away from being a perfect album.

But also, I'm old and grouchy and look at most of what gets posted in here like a confused dog, so there's that.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm not finding the Kids in the Hall ep that hits the Billy Joel note just right, it's the one where stoner dude gets a blessing from Satan and his dreadlocks turn into marijuana, IIRC.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Does not compute.

Yeah, you and me are with Bobbie (Stoner dude) on that one, I'm sure.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

stealie72 posted:

But also, I'm old and grouchy and look at most of what gets posted in here like a confused dog, so there's that.
If it makes you feel any better I feel the same way whenever a conversation about Dark Side of the Moon happens. :ssh:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

If it makes you feel any better I feel the same way whenever a conversation about Dark Side of the Moon happens. :ssh:
Man, listened to that a bunch during my teenage classic rock phase in the early 90s and liked it, and then occasionally as a music nerd, but not for maybe the past 15-20 years. Got it for my wife a few months ago when I got the turntable and was massively underwhelmed by it.

I unironically think that Pet Sounds is the Big Deal Album from that era that has survived the best. Wouldn't It Be Nice works any time from 1950 to now, and doesn't involve a bunch of stoner-y studio poo poo like starting your song with a bunch of admittedly expertly recorded clocks.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are we going to have to have a Billy Joel throwdown?

Motherfucker could write a song. Want 40 years of history? He's got you covered. Want an ode to a piano? You better believe it. Want a song about convincing a Catholic to have sex with him? Dude has got you covered. Want a Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons tribute? He's got that and a doowop song. Want a tender romantic ballad? He's got a few. Want a song about the collapse of the American dream? He took it to the charts in 1982. Want a song about phone sex? Hey, he's got you right there. Want a song about a singer in a bar and his observations about the patrons?

Well you got me. That's the only song he doesn't have.
Also, a Simpsons avatar with either a Smiths or Slayer username and a stirring defense of Billy Joel. We should be friends.

Edit: Except you forgot songs about the alienation of suburban life, songs about the death of ideals when they come into contact with reality, and that one song about checking out Vienna.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 22, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You all convinced me. For 14 bucks, I can't refuse to take the plunge on Garth Brooks. And yes, I'm only getting the analog set - I don't need 21 discs of Garth Brooks. That might send messages I'm not comfortable sending.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cemetry Gator posted:

You all convinced me. For 14 bucks, I can't refuse to take the plunge on Garth Brooks. And yes, I'm only getting the analog set - I don't need 21 discs of Garth Brooks. That might send messages I'm not comfortable sending.
Get the ultimate set and give two of them away. :yeshaha:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/gFDQDVQ.gifv

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cemetry Gator posted:

drat. Half temped to sign up for prime just to get $14 triple Garth sets and give (more) of them away to unsuspecting people.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I had a box of the triple set sent to my buddy. Looking forward to her reaction

pwn
May 27, 2004

also loving lol at massive garth brooks box sets (in multiples) being cheap gag gifts

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
All this Billy Joel chat and no one brings up Attila. For shame.

I have very bad taste in music and unironically own the album.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
There's a bunch of copies of Triple Live (which is included in the box set) listed for $20-30 on discogs. Can't wait to watch that market bottom out.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Wait until the boxsets sell out and they become the new currency.

My future children are going to college thanks to Garth Brooks!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cemetry Gator posted:

how many options of Gamestop stock can I buy with one Garth Brooks boxset.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

stealie72 posted:

There's a bunch of copies of Triple Live (which is included in the box set) listed for $20-30 on discogs. Can't wait to watch that market bottom out.

I bought this set (just one box) for $18 back in January when it was posted here. I'm not sure how that hasn't happened already.

Why can't LITERALLY ANY OTHER POPULAR ARTIST over-produce a vinyl set like ol' Garth??

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

wa27 posted:

Why can't LITERALLY ANY OTHER POPULAR ARTIST over-produce a vinyl set like ol' Garth??
I'm still trying to figure out who the hell green-lighted this. Garth Brooks is a legend around exactly the kind of people that do not buy vinyl, and his best days are far behind him.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

I'm still trying to figure out who the hell green-lighted this. Garth Brooks is a legend around exactly the kind of people that do not buy vinyl

Just who do you think is buying up all these Crosley record players anyway? Great father's day present, a new fake vintage turntable and a Garth Brooks triple set to listen to once.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

petit choux posted:

Just who do you think is buying up all these Crosley record players anyway? Great father's day present, a new fake vintage turntable and a Garth Brooks triple set to listen to once.
Maybe my own biases are coming through but I assumed all of those were for dark side of the moon and Beatles re-issues.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

also loving lol at massive garth brooks box sets (in multiples) being cheap gag gifts
If that's the case, I'll point out that the Limited Edition (with the foil packaging) is probably the one to keep, as it has the analog-sourced vinyl on 180g (the other two are 140) but the digitally remastered CDs. Me, I'm keeping it all, 'cause if there's two things I love, it's giving things honest chances and committing to a bit.

stealie72 posted:

There's six variant jackets for the triple live, I'm gonna go ahead and assume there are people out there who need all of them.

It's me. I just bought another 3 box sets. :doit:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dark Side of the Moon has been reissued so many times. You got cassette, 8 tracks, vinyl, CD, DVD-A, SACD, I think the boxset has it on bluray, quad-8, quad vinyl, and even loving Betamax and VHS.

The last two courtesy of Mobile Fidelity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

petit choux posted:

Just who do you think is buying up all these Crosley record players anyway?

Mostly seems to be teens who have their identical record collections nailed to the wall.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Specifically packed my stylus in a separate box and then I loving dropped it

:argh:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arcella posted:

Specifically packed my stylus in a separate box and then I loving dropped it

:argh:

That’s ok, just play some sideways records.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58AE5QTVkCw

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Ooh, nice! The coolest thing I've ever found at a Goodwill is a Kingston Trio album.

IG-88 posted:

What’s the link dude? I collect purple vapor.

Somebody's already linked you to that album, but assuming you're serious, here's a few more:
https://tigerbloodtapes.bandcamp.com/album/groovez
https://tigerbloodtapes.bandcamp.com/album/v-e-n-u-s-1-9-9-7
https://tigerbloodtapes.bandcamp.com/album/dragonball-wave-iii

I don't know how long these will be up, so act soon!
https://twitter.com/STSPhonoCo/status/1407397979103846403

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
hell yeah thank you for the garth brooks tip

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Maybe my own biases are coming through but I assumed all of those were for dark side of the moon and Beatles re-issues.

LOL you're probably right.

Here, some of what I've been finding lately:

Perfect condition, libretto and 4 vols, I may have to listen to an opera for once. This is really classy 70s style illustration too.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 22, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Not my photo. My cover looks a little better, but the seams are half split. There's one scratch on the disc, but not a bad one. It's a 10" pressing, slightly more flexible than, but as thick as shellac (this one, according to Discogs).

The collection had pressings on 45s, shellac and on this in-between 10".

Got these last week, the only noticeable difference is the color.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Those bawdy wacky 60s for you

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And once again bolstering the best Christmas album collection on SA, here you go:

And a foxy new year:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

Takes me back to the days of getting all my Jethro Tull records in the cutout bins.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BigFactory posted:

Did you listen to the Chris Gaines album? It needed all the help it could get.

I was never a Brooks fan, so I would definitely not listen to him as Gaines.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Congratulations everyone, we did it!

pwn
May 27, 2004

g*d bless a goon rush :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

petit choux posted:

And once again bolstering the best Christmas album collection on SA, here you go:

Pretty sure I had this when I was a kid.