Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They can use whatever they want, just don’t expect me to support it or install it. You want to be IT? Go hog wild, but leave me alone.

This of course, never happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sickening posted:

Well, there is only so deep someone can go. Shadow IT in our world would have be groups of people using totally separate, non-managed machines on totally separate networks, with totally separate email systems. They would also have to get around talking about it in any managed system or speak in code. They would have to manage to not get caught despite C-level leaders strictly outlawing it in written policy written this calendar year.

Its entirely possible, just not likely. Users are lazy. Devs aren't as smart as they think they are and are also lazy.

Bad news for IT people on both those points. :v:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How long should AD replication usually take? Is it normal to add a user to a group and it takes 5 minutes for that to replicate to another domain controller?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"it depends". Are they on the same site?

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
This is a small one in the category of things pissing me off: Bossman talking about me and how terrible my communication skills are in third person during a meeting I am attending. Dude you talked to me like three minutes before during the same meeting.

Unrelated to that I'd love to :yotj: but man, I am absolutely not in the mood for the stressful rat race that is job hunting. Additional stress factor: I'd have to move, because rural Bavaria is a really bad place for IT jobs.

And completely unrelated to work, but also pissing me off - and while I am at it already: My shower is not working.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

"it depends". Are they on the same site?

Several different sites, but all connected on high-capacity low-latency (less than 5 ms) links.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How have you arranged the sites in AD, and what are the replication intervals set to? The default is 180 minutes across sites.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
If its just a one-time this-needs-to-propagate-right-now you can force a replication on a DC to its linked DCs with repadmin /syncall /AdeP

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Reminds me of my old job where password resets took 10 minutes to take effect... and then they had people's password expire literally every month while they already 2FA lmao

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We still have an internal site that requires password changes every 3 months and has absurd complexity requirements. Every other service at the company has moved to SSO with 2FA but this brave holdout is still running like it's 2005.

Fortunately I only need to use it a couple times a year, but this does mean every password I generate for it is effectively a one time password.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've still not seen anything more onerous than our credit card gateway:

The requirements end up actually limiting the amount of combinations.

3 upper case, 3 lower case, 2 numbers, and a single special character. Additionally, you can't use < > or & as a special character. You also can't have repeating or sequential letters or numbers. So no aa, ab, or 11,12.

And it has to be exactly 9 characters, no more, no less.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

stevewm posted:

I've still not seen anything more onerous than our credit card gateway:

The requirements end up actually limiting the amount of combinations.

3 upper case, 3 lower case, 2 numbers, and a single special character. Additionally, you can't use < > or & as a special character. You also can't have repeating or sequential letters or numbers. So no aa, ab, or 11,12.

And it has to be exactly 9 characters, no more, no less.

When I worked at Comcast 15ish years ago their billing/provisioning/customer info/sales platform required an 8-character password structured as <5 letters><1 special character><2 numbers> in that exact order. I can't imagine the thought process that went into that requirement.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

klosterdev posted:

If its just a one-time this-needs-to-propagate-right-now you can force a replication on a DC to its linked DCs with repadmin /syncall /AdeP

Nah this isn't my directory to manage, I'm just a helpdesk suffering from it. I'm going to raise an issue about it if it keeps up next week too, because replicating simple changes like adding a user to a group used to happen within a few seconds.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Password complexity is dumb and olds should let it go.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

nielsm posted:

Nah this isn't my directory to manage, I'm just a helpdesk suffering from it. I'm going to raise an issue about it if it keeps up next week too, because replicating simple changes like adding a user to a group used to happen within a few seconds.

There's absolutely no reason in the modern world not to have Change Notification turned on. Unless you're still operating a site in Bumfuckistan with a 33.6 modem, OR you're running a giant multinational with 200k objects in your AD of which 10k are being changed at any given time, the impact of having your DCs notify your other DCs whenever a change happens should be very minimal on your WAN links. It's not 1995 anymore.

https://optionkey.blogspot.com/2018/07/fast-active-directory-replication-and.html

(And if you DO have one site with a lovely link, just configure a different site link and don't configure Change Notification on it).

Obviously I'm not suggesting this is your fault since you're not running AD, but if you raise the issue you may want to gently suggest to your sysadmins that their 2003 MCSE training is no longer the gold standard for how to admin AD.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've run into a STIG based password restriction for passwords that always messes people up and they keep escalating it to me. The passwords can't have three sequential characters of the same class. So you can't have any three letters or any three numbers in a row. It makes it really hard to generate passwords. I've explained that specifically to the devs a bunch of times and it's really hard to grasp.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Sickening posted:

Password complexity is rules are dumb and olds should let it them go.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Change Notification

Thank you, that was the phrase I was searching my brain for

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

you ate my cat posted:

When I worked at Comcast 15ish years ago their billing/provisioning/customer info/sales platform required an 8-character password structured as <5 letters><1 special character><2 numbers> in that exact order. I can't imagine the thought process that went into that requirement.

Amateur regexing would be my thought.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Our networks team love to use SNAT when routing a port to a DMZ IP, but they're not willing to do any sort of intrusion detection at the firewall level.

I can't even set up Fail2Ban because the legit users and the bots trying to login as root all come from the same IP address as far as my server is concerned!

And it turns out they decided to change the external access setup of an existing, working SFTP server.

That server had fail2ban on it, so promptly banned the central firewalls

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: NBC built their compliance with the California cookie privacy law to be as annoying as humanly possible.

Instead of a "do not sell my data" button" NBC web properties are set so you have to go to their privacy policy to find it it hidden in the middle, manually select which properties that you don't want data about you saved with no select-all option, after selecting like fifty NBC properties manually, filling out more personal information, verifying my email address and then finally submitting I wake up to like fifty emails in my inbox all saying the same thing

quote:

Dear klosterdev,

Thank you for verifying your email. If you selected multiple brands, you will receive this email multiple times. The brand(s) will begin to process your request. We will respond within the legally required timeframe, which is 45 days (or 90 days with an extension) for residents of California. Please note that a record of this request will be retained. The information related to your request is below. Your Request ID is XXXXXXXXXX, please keep this for your records.

gently caress you NBC

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 25, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Not pissing me off, but seriously surprising me: sysinternals released a new version of RDCMan a few days ago:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rdcman

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanatosian posted:

Not pissing me off, but seriously surprising me: sysinternals released a new version of RDCMan a few days ago:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rdcman
This has made my day, I was annoyed when this was deprecated and none of the alternatives I've tried have really felt satisfying.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
love to see male coworkers publicly say that they don't trust my advice, and to check with this other team, only for them to say I was totally right :suicide:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If a coworker straight up said publicly "I don't trust your advice," I think I would murder them, regardless of whether or not I ended up being right. Jesus.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

If a coworker straight up said publicly "I don't trust your advice," I think I would murder them, regardless of whether or not I ended up being right. Jesus.

the exact language was "[the fact that we are already] using <standard GCP tool I recommended> in different places does not mean that is a right approach"

**in a public slack channel**

no technical arguments, it's not even a tool he's familiar with! just "talk to X team".

I'm beyond livid. fortunately i have a good management team who will take my side here, but if you have concerns about a coworker's professional advice, and it's not immediately time critical, (and you don't know what you're talking about!) the professional thing to do is message them privately so they can caveat as appropriate. not publicly say that they don't know what they are doing

ughhhhhh i loving hate working with men who don't know how to communicate!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 29, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That sounds infuriating

You’ve posted about issues like this before, is it the same person/people, or is it a larger workplace problem?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Fool posted:

That sounds infuriating

You’ve posted about issues like this before, is it the same person/people, or is it a larger workplace problem?

nah this is a new guy.

it's not even egregiously bad tbh. for sure the worst i've gotten in about a month or so though.

this place is the best workplace i've ever had! here i only get condescended to and my advice ignored, (and the occasional married 40 year old man trying to sleep with me). far superior to the rampant sexual harassment/assault i've seen everywhere else.

such is the life of being a woman

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The azurerm provider for Terraform is buggy as gently caress, had to downgrade to another version to avoid the loving buggy rear end minefield it is right now. Today it created role assignments then couldn’t read them to so much as plan for a re apply, wtf lmao

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

The azurerm provider for Terraform is buggy as gently caress, had to downgrade to another version to avoid the loving buggy rear end minefield it is right now. Today it created role assignments then couldn’t read them to so much as plan for a re apply, wtf lmao

Lmao this is my life
Not a week goes by without a dev having some issue that can get traced back to the provider

We just got one where changing the tags for a key vault certificate causes the certificate to be re-created

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Also, gently caress deploying aks through terraform

This morning someone seriously suggested that we fork the provider and write our own implementation for aks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

This morning someone seriously suggested that we fork the provider and write our own implementation for aks

I feel like the best possible outcome for that scenario is awful. Just totally unwinnable.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Are any of the other IaC tools worth looking at? Pulumi? What else is even out there?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Also, pissing me off: Lumen fiber cut in VA today. Had to failover the internet circuit manually as it wasn’t ‘completely’ down and restart our sonicwall vpn appliance (for another reason). Appliance refused to come back up. Called their support and found there is some issue where the bootloader fails and needs a manual patch and then a firmware reload.

Good poo poo. Did I mention this appliance is needed for our Ayava IP Office to provide vpn connections to desk phones outside the office? So we had like 70 people without phones while this happened.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Are any of the other IaC tools worth looking at? Pulumi? What else is even out there?

This specifically is less a terraform problem and more of a provider problem, so blame Azure here. Edit: in retrospect actually this could be either an API issue or an issue with the provider itself, so retract that.

Now, don’t get me wrong, lots about terraform suuuuuucks. Version management, non-atomic applies, doing anything interesting with state (though that one is a bit overblown tbh). My personal bugbear rn is with GCP API support for built in service accounts. To which you say “don’t use built in service accounts!” To which I say “yes, but cloudbuild sucks extra hard and imposes stupid rear end limitations on user SAs”

anyways ansible seems like the obvious answer here, though it’s better at resource configuration than creation.

Otherwise I’d actually probably go for provider specific declarative languages. Cloudformation is surprisingly decent these days - you can even do stock trades with it!

I used to hear good things about Saltstack a few years ago, but they’ve been acquired by vmware so lol.

Basically what I’m saying is the market is ripe for disruption.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 30, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Fool posted:

Could be worse! Try azure firewall and the insane rear end policies you need for manager

Re:other IaC chat

TF is still amazing and the people working on the providers are awesome. There is no other alternative, anything JSON based can suck my butt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

sonicwall
Ayava IP Office

I have nothing to add but that's quite the collection of poo poo-tier vendors you have involved in your professional life

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I have nothing to add but that's quite the collection of poo poo-tier vendors you have involved in your professional life

The Avaya was put in before my time and we are actively working with vendors to get moved over to a hosted VOIP solution. So it won’t trouble me much longer.

The Sonicwalls were put in by my predecessor with a lovely MSP less than a full year ago because they pitched it to us (as sonicwall resellers) and he suddenly decided that we needed a next-gen firewall as we are on the cusp of completely moving our infra to Azure. It has been nothing but headaches.

He’s not with the company anymore but I had to constantly fight him on bad decisions and he was security obsessed with practices that may have been appropriate in the early 2000s.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Sonicwalls are like four gens ago. It’s honestly hilarious they’re still being bought and sold - one of the worst products I’ve ever used in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We’re a SonicWall partner and all their product communication is about how you can increase revenue and nothing about the product itself (which is hot garbage), which I think says all you need to know about them.

Firewalls don’t really *do* anything now for a distributed workforce and a company that is fully on SaaS apps, spend the pretty insane security service subscriptions on zero trust and identity and things like that.