Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

sanchez posted:

The Nissan V8's are generally thirsty but I looked up the Armada and it's actually rated at 15mpg combined vs 14mpg for the Landcruiser. Didn't expect that. Armada needs premium fuel though which has got to sting, will be getting close to $100 to fill up in some parts of the country.

I haven't driven it enough to tell, but the average displayed on the infotainment screen was 15 mpg. Unknown how the previous drivers drove.

I'm not planning on giving it premium unless it fusses.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just can't imagine spending that much on fuel anymore. When I had my old 3/4 ton Ford with twin tanks and a 460, I was spending about $60 to fill up and I felt very wasteful. My Mazda is about $35 to fill up with premium, my wife's Ioniq is $30 but that's good for 600 miles. The El Camino is only about $40. My motorcycles variously cost $10-$12. A $100 fuel bill would have me looking to sell real quick.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I drove a rental armada for a week a couple months ago. What impressed me most was how cheap and insubstantial the doors sounded and felt. A powerwheels car has a more assuring door-thunk.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

door thunk is something that companies intentionally engineer because of its association with quality; not surprised nissan didn't give a poo poo lol

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

door thunk is something that companies intentionally engineer because of its association with quality; not surprised nissan didn't give a poo poo lol

Lol. My fusion has real good door thunk on the driver and passenger side, but the rear doors sound like tin cans. Value engineering at its finest.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's actually pretty easy to make a tin can sounding door thunk better, just add a bunch of sound deadening to it and BAM, instant thunk

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just can't imagine spending that much on fuel anymore. When I had my old 3/4 ton Ford with twin tanks and a 460, I was spending about $60 to fill up and I felt very wasteful. My Mazda is about $35 to fill up with premium, my wife's Ioniq is $30 but that's good for 600 miles. The El Camino is only about $40. My motorcycles variously cost $10-$12. A $100 fuel bill would have me looking to sell real quick.

Must be nice living in the middle of nowhere? $70 premium fillup for a compact sedan here. Going to be nice when electric is more viable in maybe 10 years, and I'm older and greyer.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Inner Light posted:

Must be nice living in the middle of nowhere? $70 premium fillup for a compact sedan here. Going to be nice when electric is more viable in maybe 10 years, and I'm older and greyer.

It's Las Vegas, and yeah it's cheaper than lots of places I suppose. Even so, I don't think my environmentalist futurist point of view is that far away from most Americans when it comes to buying gas = unwanted expense. This is going to be the biggest seller for electric vehicles for most American drivers, I think.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's actually pretty easy to make a tin can sounding door thunk better, just add a bunch of sound deadening to it and BAM, instant thunk

Couple hundred thousand doors at $5/ea is some execs cushion to push their annual bonus up.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

600 miles today in the Armada. The UI and controls are honestly the worst part of it.

The V8 lumbers along at 2000rpm at 80 MPH and gets 20 mpg. It rides nicely, the seats are fine, and it's quiet. Plenty of power. Build quality is pretty good, and the materials look and feel nice.

The controls are just thumb in the eye bad. Yes you have a tuning knob, volume knob, and temperature knobs, but everything else is button or touch screen oriented. There are tons of hard buttons that take you to menus that are randomly organized and use tons of acronyms and fancy names that are not descriptive.

There are several different hard keys for navigation, radio, and settings but none for phone. Not that it matters because I can't get my S20 to pair to it reliably after a key cycle, and pairing is a multi-step menu process.

There are no less than 4 different, independent screens that provide the same trip computer information. If you're driving a 6000lb V8 do you really need 4 different mpg computations?

Why I need to press "map" to see where I'm going after setting a destination in the "navigation" screen is beyond me.

Even the steering wheel controls are unnecessarily obtuse. Setting the adaptive cruise control takes several separate button presses to set.

The whole UI feels like it was designed by 30 different people who didn't like each other. This is easily one of the worst I've ever used.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

KakerMix posted:

hahaha the 6ft block TOYOTA text on the front. Giving up on the sombrero is hilarious.

Everything else is goofy as hell.

The Toyota logo is ugly anyway.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

MrYenko posted:

Counterpoint: literally any Toyota of the past five years.

?? Their cars look alright.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Far better than the mid-00s disasters.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the new corolla looks pretty good for sure

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Residency Evil posted:

For sure, although I always wonder what the demographic of a tundra buyer is versus a big 3 truck.

I can't speak to all the reasons someone would pick a Tundra over a big 3 truck, but I will say that around here (I live in the San Antonio metro area), the whole BUILT IN TEXAS BY TEXANS thing comes into play. With the Tundra being built here in San Antonio, I see a bunch of these out there. The F-150 is by far the most popular truck, but I see quite a few Tundras around for sure. Especially the 1794 COME AND TAKE IT TEXAS edition.

Like others have mentioned though, the platform is pretty reliable, and I've heard someone say the Tundra is a little more built than a 1/2 ton, but not quite a full 3/4 ton truck. The towing ability is pretty solid, as well as the rest of the truck is just well built. A former co-worker of mine has the previous gen Tundra, and he's put over 150K miles on it with nothing more than routine maintenance and consumables. He loves the thing and will drive it until the wheels fall off.

That being said, there's some big issues out there in GM land with the new engines. I follow a bunch of tiktok mechanics, and the new GM engines with active fuel management are bending pushrods right and left. Like a new Escalade with 5K miles in the shop for major engine work. Ford's having their share of issues as well. No idea whats going on, but I don't have a lot of faith in some of the newer tech coming out right now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
weirdly the Tundra owners i know just admit that they wanted a truck and not because they need to tow a boat they dont have and also move grandfather clocks on a regular basis right after hauling two tons of gravel in the bed

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Like others have mentioned though, the platform is pretty reliable, and I've heard someone say the Tundra is a little more built than a 1/2 ton, but not quite a full 3/4 ton truck.

Toyota working that 5/8 ton market niche.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skipdogg posted:

Like others have mentioned though, the platform is pretty reliable, and I've heard someone say the Tundra is a little more built than a 1/2 ton, but not quite a full 3/4 ton truck.

What does this even mean? My understanding is that with the right option codes checked, the F150 is currently payload king by a large margin. The truck camper manufacturers seem to target F150s as the main half-ton, which you can get over 2800lbs payload rating, or pretty loaded with over 2000lbs of payload.

Toyota doesn't seem to have a nice spec sheet available for truck camper installs, but from the best I can tell the Tundra's max payload tops out around 1700 lbs, with most configurations around 1400-1500lbs.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

We better get some GR Corolla news soon. I want an AWD sports sedan with rear bias.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

We better get some GR Corolla news soon. I want an AWD sports sedan with rear bias.

They brought the Focus RS here and nobody bought them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I might be making this up but I'm pretty sure the GR Corolla will be hatchback only

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KillHour posted:

They brought the Focus RS here and nobody bought them.

Dealer mark ups in most regions, andno one was buying Focuses in the first place, regardless of trim. Ford was giving up on the segment entirely, not just the performance versions.

When I bought my FiST I was shocked to see a FoRS on the lot for MSRP, but I guess that's a perk of living in a poorer region of the country.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

What does this even mean? My understanding is that with the right option codes checked, the F150 is currently payload king by a large margin. The truck camper manufacturers seem to target F150s as the main half-ton, which you can get over 2800lbs payload rating, or pretty loaded with over 2000lbs of payload.

Toyota doesn't seem to have a nice spec sheet available for truck camper installs, but from the best I can tell the Tundra's max payload tops out around 1700 lbs, with most configurations around 1400-1500lbs.

The aluminum body helps a bit with payload, but you can option the F150 with a HD payload package that actually includes a different, thicker frame as well as springs, axles etc. GM and Chrysler would just make you step up to a 2500HD.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Twerk from Home posted:

I think he might be confusing it with the Titan XD, which Nissan straight up said was developed to be exactly that. Of course it ended up having all the downsides of a 3/4 ton while being almost no more capable than a 1/2 ton.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

See: big 10, heavy half, 7700gvwr F150s from the beanbody era, etc. Basic half ton (class 2a (6,001–8,500 pounds (2,722–3,856 kg))) truck with a slightly higher gvwr.

F150 wins out over the other in that segment. Dodge is real weak in the payload department.
The "half ton" campers are a bit of a lie in that they're at the upper edge of what the half-ton can carry. Ideally those are better suited for gasser 3/4 tons.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I optioned out the cheapest max-payload F150, then a similar spec F350 SRW, and they cost the same. If you’re gonna throw a camper in the back you might as well just get the super duty.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LibCrusher posted:

I optioned out the cheapest max-payload F150, then a similar spec F350 SRW, and they cost the same. If you’re gonna throw a camper in the back you might as well just get the super duty.

I agree. And if it has any slides whatsoever its time to buy the DRW.
Gasser 6.2/7.3 will have the best payload for a slide in.

There is some tiny overlap between the 4wd diesel reg-cab drw 350 c/c and 450 c/c where the 350 can have a touch more payload (excess of 6000lb) but the 450 has better brakes/axles/suspension/lower-gears with a higher gross combined towing capacity.

I'm new truck browsing while running an 3 decade old 4wd diesel srw 350 c/c refit into a drw 350 c/c payload with a bunch of modern aftermarket upgrades. (my slide in weighs right about 3 tons)

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Sab669 posted:

Dealer mark ups in most regions, and no one was buying Focuses in the first place, regardless of trim. Ford was giving up on the segment entirely, not just the performance versions.

Yeah lets not do the "no one bought them, its your fault bs."
Most of the RS models near me got scooped up quick. The only ones I saw on lots were as mentioned, where the dealership tried 8k market adjusted value garbage, or wouldnt let you test drive them.
And as Sab669 mention, Ford pulled the plug on all Focus trims. It had nothing to do with the RS not selling well.
I honestly was looking forwarded to trying out a Gen 2 RS with the new body style, but Ford made that decision pretty easy by giving up.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I also wanted to pop in and make fun of the BRZ twins for still ending up with less power than the new Golf GTI.
Speaking of which, I was reading about the new GTI in Car and Driver and either its a misprint or that thing is nuts now.
Its listed 0-60 as 5.1 seconds which seems insane vs the old model.
The other thing that stood out as wild was "As tested: $38K"
Was that a Founder's edition with gold bars in the trunk, or do GTIs cost that much now?
It listed starts at 30K but Im just trying to think of what on earth you could option out for 8k additional.
Online article in question
https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/golf-gti

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Franco Caution posted:

The other thing that stood out as wild was "As tested: $38K"
Was that a Founder's edition with gold bars in the trunk, or do GTIs cost that much now?
It listed starts at 30K but Im just trying to think of what on earth you could option out for 8k additional.
Online article in question

They pretty much just cost that much now. the base S version of the GTI starts at $28,695 (according to vw.com), the SE adds LED headlights, leather and a sunroof and starts at $32,665. The Autobahn adds their chassis control system, a Fender branded audio system and Summer tires and starts at $36,945. Add the optional DSG and you're over $37.5k.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I might be making this up but I'm pretty sure the GR Corolla will be hatchback only

Good.

sedan versions of small hatchbacks are loving terrible and any time i see one i wonder how the owner has made it so far in life without killing themselves for lack of fun in their life.

The only car thats worse to be stuck behind than a champagne camry is a Yaris/mazda 2/corolla sedan.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Mazda brass have gone on record with the Japanese media that multi fuel hydrogen rotaries are back on the table.

Google translate does a decent job with the article.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone knows you never go full rotary!

Of course I'd love everything to come with rotaries but I hope they know what they're doing and it doesn't kill the company.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Hey now, I know for a fact that there is at least one more goon here that is also an original owner of a Focus RS besides myself. They suffered from being ultra rare and unfortunately heavily marked up by many shady dealers. I got lucky and paid MSRP for my ‘17.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Hey now, I know for a fact that there is at least one more goon here that is also an original owner of a Focus RS besides myself. They suffered from being ultra rare and unfortunately heavily marked up by many shady dealers. I got lucky and paid MSRP for my ‘17.

It's me. I'm the nobody that bought one (new), which is why I can say that. :colbert:

How much was that CF fascia?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KillHour posted:

It's me. I'm the nobody that bought one (new), which is why I can say that. :colbert:

How much was that CF fascia?

So you like my :rice: carbon fiber? I’m glad I’m not the only one… but it’s actually a vinyl wrap. That crash bar got some nicks in it shortly before I had the car wrapped with paint protection film, and I asked my detailer if we could find a dark black vinyl for that front piece to hide the rock chips in the plastic, and I came across this and asked him to do it. He was hesitant at first because I think he thought it might look tacky but after he wrapped it he even said it looks real, and unless you get within like 6 inches of it you can’t tell at all. It cost me $35 to have it wrapped, and he removed the RS badge and reinstalled it so it looks stock.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

So you like my :rice: carbon fiber? I’m glad I’m not the only one… but it’s actually a vinyl wrap. That crash bar got some nicks in it shortly before I had the car wrapped with paint protection film, and I asked my detailer if we could find a dark black vinyl for that front piece to hide the rock chips in the plastic, and I came across this and asked him to do it. He was hesitant at first because I think he thought it might look tacky but after he wrapped it he even said it looks real, and unless you get within like 6 inches of it you can’t tell at all. It cost me $35 to have it wrapped, and he removed the RS badge and reinstalled it so it looks stock.

I would do the brake ducts and front splitter while I was at it just to make it look more cohesive but they really did do a good job.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
My co worker lemon law’d his RS and I think it was destroyed. drat shame. He got a civic R to replace it

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

They revealed the 11th gen civic Hatchback tonight and only trim available with the 1.5 Turbo & 6 Speed is the Sport Touring, which is pushing drat near $30k for a non-Si/R civic. What a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

They revealed the 11th gen civic Hatchback tonight and only trim available with the 1.5 Turbo & 6 Speed is the Sport Touring, which is pushing drat near $30k for a non-Si/R civic. What a bummer.

man, i was hoping this would be comparable to the fiesta ST which was a great price point for a hot hatch le sigh