Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I'm lead of a small team. Every time one of my guys gets screwed over, I apply to another recruiter on linkedin.

Today they really rolled one of my guys, so I'm taking a couple of hours this afternoon to really explore my options to gtfo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I've never had to manage an interview timeline like this before, so here is my probably basic question.

Company A has indicated an offer is coming through the end of this week (a second verbal and a letter). I like Company A, they'd be a decent step up, the comp is nothing to sneeze at, and the problem space is fairly interesting.

However I have one more full day of interviews with Company B early next week. Company B would be an even better step up with comp to match, I find the problems / tech they work with to be more exciting, and they'd look a lot better on a resume. I'd say I'm probably 2x as excited for B.

I'd like to tell Company A to wait a week since I believe decision would come from Company B relatively quickly but if it doesn't (it's the week before the 4th of July after all) or I can't get at least a week from A,... what should I do? When I ask A for time should I tell them I'm waiting on another co? Seal my lips? Should I just say yes to A then toss a match on that bridge as I sashay on over to B if they come through (with a good offer)? I wouldn't feel guilty exactly as nobody at A is my friend (yet) and corporations aren't people, but burning a bridge is a potential risk I'd like to avoid if possible.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

imo tell company A nothing, tell company B you have a pending offer once you get it [tell the recruiter this, not someone on the line] but you're really excited about them but understand holidays, timelines, etc. because honestly you can accept company A and then if company B comes through you can tell A no thanks a week later and they'll be mad but you'll have the job you want more so who cares

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

qirex posted:

imo tell company A nothing, tell company B you have a pending offer once you get it [tell the recruiter this, not someone on the line] but you're really excited about them but understand holidays, timelines, etc. because honestly you can accept company A and then if company B comes through you can tell A no thanks a week later and they'll be mad but you'll have the job you want more so who cares

yep do this. if company A has a deadline before company B gets back to you, ask A for an extension. if they say no then just accept A and reneg if B gives you a better offer, because gently caress companies who won't work with you on poo poo like that

alternatively, you could tell A you're in process with other companies but would accept theirs today if they give you $<lots of money, fill in what that means to you>. then ditch them anyway if B gives you a better offer. this is slightly riskier, depends on the companies in question and how much you're willing to tick them off

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Okay good then, seems like my first instinct was in line with you two. Of course the whole thing may be moot if I get nothing from B but I’ll just proceed as best I can. It’s a nice problem to have after all!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Arcsech posted:

yep do this. if company A has a deadline before company B gets back to you, ask A for an extension. if they say no then just accept A and reneg if B gives you a better offer, because gently caress companies who won't work with you on poo poo like that

This is thug as hell

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
“Good, Fast, Cheap - choose 2” applies to companies hiring just as much as any other purchase or project. If they really, really need good devs fast then they gotta pay enough to make good candidates jump at the offer. If they just need a cheap body to bang out code ASAP then they shouldn’t be upset (they probably will be, but gently caress em) when their rushed timeline and small offer results in people who are job hunting backing out when a better offer rolls around.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I recently put my new job on linkedin to stop recruiters emailing me

and immediately got several times more spam asking whether I'm "considering making a move"

talk about owning myself

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
how bad is it that company says they have java services with no framework, all classes are static, and when they arent static its closely coupled

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

barkbell posted:

how bad is it that company says they have java services with no framework, all classes are static, and when they arent static its closely coupled

coding like it’s 1996

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

barkbell posted:

its better than having all of that but not saying it!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

jesus WEP posted:

its better than having all of that but not saying it!

lol, this was my first job at a web shop after doing desktop c++, it was a poo poo show (it was php5.... really bad php5)

I remember legitimately stunning some people when I wrote a class with state and legit code re-use that wasn't just a spaghetti chain of public static methods.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I had an interview for a mid-level, classic ASP.NET position back in 2008 and the only technical question was literally 'how would you add a repeater to a page', and when I explained how I'd do it in code they seemed legit stunned at such wizardry. They bumped the offer to a senior position and the feedback was that someone like me could 'really go places' in the company.

Still stunned I was mature enough to think 'I'm not going to learn poo poo working there' and turn it down despite the money.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

barkbell posted:

didn't stack overflow do this

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
TLDR: Anyone track their rate of offers from phone interviews for SW dev jobs?

Background:
Two weeks ago I highly recommended a non-CS background Python/SW Eng 2 to my network. He got 19 emails/phone screens/first interviews, ~7 2nd interviews and has 2 offers with maybe a 3rd coming.

My thought was that a 10% conversion on phone interviews is pretty low but that it could be they interview almost anyone who comes highly recommended and his background of python based web scraping and some AWS configuring isn't their specific need. These are all startups but maybe a couple of the 19 are moving slow since its only been 2 full weeks, or he could be a 2nd pick and because of the volume he prob hasn't followed up with them much.

Anyone done >5 phone interviews? What was your rate on offers to interviews?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I can’t seem to even get a first phone call on my applications, but people are falling over themselves to have me as a consultant for 3-6 months at double what I’d take as an employee

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Steve Jorbs posted:

Currently in the process of securing payment!

For fun here are some numbers. Gave up on NYC after several months of fruitless searching and started looking elsewhere, starting in Denver. I had plans to also look in Boston starting out but only applied to small handful of jobs there.

Denver:
First application April 15th
First offer May 3rd

59 Applications
20 Recruiter followups
15 First stage / tech screens
4 Final round interviews (3 completed 1 pending)
2 Offers
After that post I had an additional company offer to move into a final round and a handful of recruiter contacts. It was actually the company I was complaining about giving the unreasonable 4 hour assignment that I thought I tanked. I may have continued to pursue it but they got back to me days after I finished negotiating between my other offers.

The companies that moved into further rounds all had a near perfect experience-requirements match up. Engineering companies needing devs rather than straight web shops or the like. I got rejected by one of the final rounds and ended the other early.

_________

Whatever talent acquisition software everyone uses must have the same default posting expiration set. Things were quiet since I accepted an offer back in May then this week I suddenly got 5 rejection emails for random crap I applied to months ago.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Steve Jorbs posted:

Whatever talent acquisition software everyone uses must have the same default posting expiration set. Things were quiet since I accepted an offer back in May then this week I suddenly got 5 rejection emails for random crap I applied to months ago.
end of quarter cleanup maybe? I know this is common in crm [which is basically what recruiters use]

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Steve Jorbs posted:

After that post I had an additional company offer to move into a final round and a handful of recruiter contacts. It was actually the company I was complaining about giving the unreasonable 4 hour assignment that I thought I tanked. I may have continued to pursue it but they got back to me days after I finished negotiating between my other offers.

The companies that moved into further rounds all had a near perfect experience-requirements match up. Engineering companies needing devs rather than straight web shops or the like. I got rejected by one of the final rounds and ended the other early.

_________

This is great, thank you! Seems like almost exactly his ratios.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

Okay good then, seems like my first instinct was in line with you two. Of course the whole thing may be moot if I get nothing from B but I’ll just proceed as best I can. It’s a nice problem to have after all!

So uh, company B came through. Thanks to the power of Knowing Someone and following advice posted in this thread it looks like I'm getting about 3x my current TC without even needing to move... I'm underpaid but not by that much lol

So thanks thread

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:yotj: continues

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the great yotj 2

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sleng Teng posted:

So uh, company B came through. Thanks to the power of Knowing Someone and following advice posted in this thread it looks like I'm getting about 3x my current TC without even needing to move... I'm underpaid but not by that much lol

So thanks thread

congrats, get that :20bux:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

grats on figgies

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KidDynamite posted:

grats on figgies

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I think my current job is catching on that I'm ready to bounce with all the suspicious "busy" marks on my calendar and my redoubling efforts to remove any bus factor from my job.

It's nice that they care enough to try to slow my escape, but it's like that moment in ksp when you switch to a suborbital body and realize there's been no hope for a long time now, you can burn the rockets if you want but this journey together is about to end.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
why bother, wrt bus factor?

burning bridges is about bein an rear end in a top hat if you leave, not about making things dependent or whatever

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bossy posted:

It's nice that they care enough to try to slow my escape, but it's like that moment in ksp when you switch to a suborbital body and realize there's been no hope for a long time now, you can burn the rockets if you want but this journey together is about to end.

ah yes a relatable analogy for sure

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you should always be working on reducing your bus factor because it’s less crap you have to do

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i should quit avoiding responsibilities and get a programming job

i think my c code is pretty good, but i dropped out of high school and have winged it ever since

is there a job market for 30 yo finnish self taught coders who know gently caress all mathematics?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

matti posted:

i should quit avoiding responsibilities and get a programming job

i think my c code is pretty good, but i dropped out of high school and have winged it ever since

is there a job market for 30 yo finnish self taught coders who know gently caress all mathematics?

Does "Friend Of Jerry" count as a market?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

that is not helpful i have high anxiety of this

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

matti posted:

this is basically all of the market

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I have a CS masters and still know gently caress all mathmatics...

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Boiled Water posted:

this is basically all of the market

yeah i should learn to get over my own perceived complexes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol at caring about reducing bus factor before giving notice

[quote="Captain Foo" post="515931224"]
you should always be working on reducing your bus factor because it’s less crap you have to do
[/

but this is true

My move is to reduce bus factor as much as i can. where i can't, well, i'll try to transfer as much knowledge as i can during my two weeks notice or whatever, but if management didnt give me the opportunity to share knowledge, time to document, etc but also didn't pay me enough to stay, that's on them

I don't mind writing docs and stuff though cause my memory isn't very good any more. as long as im not overloaded with work, the stuff i produce is ready for future-Achmed to do the needful without remembering anything about it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i shipped highly mathematical code and can say that its about 3% of the jobs in the market

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i shipped highly mathematical code and can say that its about 3% of the jobs in the market

it's definitely less

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Achmed Jones posted:

My move is to reduce bus factor as much as i can. where i can't, well, i'll try to transfer as much knowledge as i can during my two weeks notice or whatever, but if management didnt give me the opportunity to share knowledge, time to document, etc but also didn't pay me enough to stay, that's on them

I don't mind writing docs and stuff though cause my memory isn't very good any more. as long as im not overloaded with work, the stuff i produce is ready for future-Achmed to do the needful without remembering anything about it.

Documentation and knowledge sharing sessions are usually just used as an excuse though, in my experience. "Oh we'd love to help with whatever you're working on, could you put together a knowledge sharing session or add <whatever> to the wiki". Then you do it, and you get about the same level of enthusiasm as there was before when it comes to actually contributing.

No one gets promoted or praised maintaining someone else's code, everyone has their own stuff to worry about and it'll only become their problem if its forced to be (by you leaving)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's definitely less

Varies by location, but yeah, the very mathy jobs are a very small part of the overall market.