Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kibayasu posted:

I feel Kira’s episode left the question of whether it was actual time travel open deliberately.

I do like the interpretation that it was a guided tour by the Prophets because it's the same thing that's used in Trials and Tribble-ations and it implies that episode is just the Prophets giving Sisko a chance to meet Kirk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

why is there an orb of time when the prophets have no concept of tim

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It's actually the Orb of Tim, just a slight mistranslation. He's been looking for that thing for ages.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mulaney Power Move posted:

why is there an orb of time when the prophets have no concept of tim

They don't have a concept of time until they meet Sisko, and then they have always had a concept of time.

This is basic stuff.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the orbs are named by the bajorans arent they?

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Sliders is also a real good series that ticks some of the same boxes. It's got the sort of opposite issue to Star Trek in that it's later seasons get bad.

It's got the actir that plays Gimly in it and he ended up quitting because it turned into dumb action BS

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

jsoh posted:

the orbs are named by the bajorans arent they?

probably but who knows with these loving wormhole aliens

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

my theory all along is that the wormhole aliens are just super evolved bajorans. that's why they're "of Bajor"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

They don't have a concept of time until they meet The Sisko, and then they have always had a concept of time.

This is basic stuff.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im the wormhole alien staring at his watch while sisko plays grabass with some vulcans on the holodeck

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

GolfHole posted:

im the wormhole alien staring at his watch while sisko plays grabass with some vulcans on the holodeck

Grabass. What is this?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

External Organs posted:

Grabass. What is this?

the rules arent important...the important thing is that it's...that it's linear

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I do like the interpretation that it was a guided tour by the Prophets because it's the same thing that's used in Trials and Tribble-ations and it implies that episode is just the Prophets giving Sisko a chance to meet Kirk

I don’t think that’s the case in Trials and Tribblelations. The Fed time cops got involved with that one after all.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not even that, it's more akin to, "We've tried everything we can think of, let's give the humans some toys and stand well back to see what they do. Ohhhh. :stare:". I do like that they actually treat humans with mutual respect rather than just "you will be ready ~one day~" in perpetuity as well. Humans figured out hyperdrives anyway so... gently caress it, give'em a good one as thanks.

That's a succinct way to put it, giving humans a new toy is like lighting a primate-shaped fuse. It's a little like that Clone Wars episode where a small squad of clones are surrounded and the commander sends Jar Jar out to negotiate surrender, and basically tells his troopers to just get under cover and watch, because he doesn't know exactly what's going to happen, but he sure knows something is going to.

External Organs posted:

I only ever saw the Stargate movie but I sometimes poke around the Wiki and think to myself, wow, this thing really went some places!

You are where I was about... a year and a half or two years ago. You should definitely watch it if you liked the movie. It goes places, yeah, but it is quite good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

the rules arent important...the important thing is that it's...that it's linear

So, you choose to exist here.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t think that’s the case in Trials and Tribblelations. The Fed time cops got involved with that one after all.

no they were transporting the time orb and the klingon dude disguised as human hijacked it to go back and murder kirk with a tribble bomb

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

External Organs posted:

lmao

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I still :allears: at the episode where the Asgard give the humans their transporter tech but also send a babysitter over to prevent them from doing something like teleporting nukes into other ships. And that's exactly what they try to do later on in the episode.

I always assumed the Asgard sent Hermiod to the humans because they couldn't stand him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I always assumed the Asgard sent Hermiod to the humans because they couldn't stand him.

"Among our people, Hermiod is what is known as a 'Special Education Instructor'; he has the skills and training necessary to understand Humans."

"We're special?!?"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

I'm assuming the time cops wouldn't even bother tying to fix any time created shenanigans done by q's/god tier beings, due to well where would you even start other than writing them a letter saying 'oh hey could you maybe fix this?" and hoping for the best.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MrTargetPractice posted:

Sliders is also a real good series that ticks some of the same boxes. It's got the sort of opposite issue to Star Trek in that it's later seasons get bad.

It's got the actir that plays Gimly in it and he ended up quitting because it turned into dumb action BS
Sliders is fun but you kind of have to eject out of your brain that the guy who plays Gimli is also a guy who says things about Muslims that a fascist political party thinks are good enough to quote in its literature, and definitely eject all the events of the last two years out of your brain when you watch him shout down a black man when it's suggested that perhaps they can skip the second amendment when 'gifting' a parallel America with the Constitution.

But if anyone wants an insanely good sci-fi episode to watch, I returned to Earth: Final Conflict last night and episode 4 was a loving banger.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i think the wormhole aliens might have been a little slow

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Ghostlight posted:

Sliders is fun but you kind of have to eject out of your brain that the guy who plays Gimli is also a guy who says things about Muslims that a fascist political party thinks are good enough to quote in its literature, and definitely eject all the events of the last two years out of your brain when you watch him shout down a black man when it's suggested that perhaps they can skip the second amendment when 'gifting' a parallel America with the Constitution.

But if anyone wants an insanely good sci-fi episode to watch, I returned to Earth: Final Conflict last night and episode 4 was a loving banger.

I liked Earth FC when it came out. Of course, it notoriously devolved into a Buffy clone, but the initial few seasons had lots of interesting plots.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

External Organs posted:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

infernal machines posted:

Imagine resolving a conflict without punching. You can't, it's impossible. No one would watch it. Modern audiences need a constant stream of pathos and violence to remain engaged. If you were to slow it down for even a moment you'd lose them to their Twitters and their Instagrams and you'd never get them back.

You need to stay on top of the zeitgeists.

Lateposting specifically to say that, this happened to both nutrek and Stargate Universe, and I'm informed that in the case of SGU it's because of the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

So in my opinion, BSG killed scifi.

I don't think I've seen a western science fiction that was post-BSG that wasn't a lot of guns blazing with absolutely no chill or calm, even when its entirely thematically appropriate (Excluding the Orville but like, come on, that's a direct homage of TNG)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

We are Borg you is gay resistance is not futile we respect consent

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Lateposting specifically to say that, this happened to both nutrek and Stargate Universe, and I'm informed that in the case of SGU it's because of the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

So in my opinion, BSG killed scifi.

I don't think I've seen a western science fiction that was post-BSG that wasn't a lot of guns blazing with absolutely no chill or calm, even when its entirely thematically appropriate (Excluding the Orville but like, come on, that's a direct homage of TNG)

i think you might do better to point at the things that were happening around the time that bsg was made, rather than bsg itself. don't confuse the symptom for the disease

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Killjoys has some chill. Expanse gets super serious but at least the pilot was always having a good time (before his actor was outed as a sexpest and written out of the show by flying too fast and dying.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Killjoys has some chill. Expanse gets super serious but at least the pilot was always having a good time (before his actor was outed as a sexpest and written out of the show by flying too fast and dying.)

I was watching the Expanse for the first time when that came out. Then I watched the Mandalorian, and... I think I'll just watch things that finished filming so I know who all the sex pests and idiots are already.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

I was watching the Expanse for the first time when that came out. Then I watched the Mandalorian, and... I think I'll just watch things that finished filming so I know who all the sex pests and idiots are already.

If those are your criteria then you might as well just sell your tv, and also don't even think about turning off your monitor.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What do you mean "my criteria", I'm not avoiding watching the shows, I'm just tired of having a character yanked mid-show because they couldn't stop sending pictures of their dick or Trump or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brawnfire posted:

"Among our people, Hermiod is what is known as a 'Special Education Instructor'; he has the skills and training necessary to understand Humans."

"We're special?!?"

Nah, he's a grumbling back-talking rear end in a top hat who clearly does not like people in general and you just know he was like that to other Asgard as well for the past x centuries/millennia/however long he's been around. So they presumably picked him to be the liason officer on the Daedalus to get him a whole galaxy away from everyone else.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm getting into Deep Space Nine for the first time ever. Just finished the first episode and I think I'm going to like the show, because O'Brien pulls an Irish Goodbye in the first episode. This is the attention to detail I'm into.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

What do you mean "my criteria", I'm not avoiding watching the shows, I'm just tired of having a character yanked mid-show because they couldn't stop sending pictures of their dick or Trump or whatever.

It sounded like that's what you meant, my bad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nah I just watched Arrested Development and Parks and Rec, recently, that was like cancelled bingo. I just prefer it when it doesn't impact the show with a hasty Poochie-style rewrite

Edit: I swear I don't watch as much TV as it sounds like

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, he's a grumbling back-talking rear end in a top hat

Literally back taking. (All his swearing is backwards recordings of him saying things like 'ridiculous infantile species what is their problem')

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Burning_Monk posted:

I liked Earth FC when it came out. Of course, it notoriously devolved into a Buffy clone, but the initial few seasons had lots of interesting plots.
I previously stopped at episode 3 because I made the mistake of looking at its wikipedia page and realising that none of its plots were going to go anywhere because it wasn't a miniseries. So much promise! Too many renewals to realise it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Literally back taking. (All his swearing is backwards recordings of him saying things like 'ridiculous infantile species what is their problem')

Wait, really? I never knew that! :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83CT0r2Db5g

Huh :stare:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 23, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

no they were transporting the time orb and the klingon dude disguised as human hijacked it to go back and murder kirk with a tribble bomb

Oh right, I forgot an orb was a part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Rewatching Lower Decks at 90% playback speed and it's so much less annoying.