Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MikeJF posted:

Is it deliberate that centaurworld seems to be an awkward hybrid of two completely different things smushed together like the titular creature is.

Hard to imagine it isn't. Turns out, media can have these things called themes, which aren't always explicitly spelled out to the audience, and are done on purpose.

Like say, imagine a human being in a world where everything else is a mix of human traits with other ones.

KingKalamari posted:

Oh I'm sorry, someone seems to have left this completely unrelated image lying around...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Yvonmukluk posted:

IMO, Anne & Marcy's relationship was far less toxic and they had a lot of good interactions in the show (there's also a handful of blushes on both sides in that the shippers have seized on). The more I think about it, Marcy is surprisingly close in Sprig to personality in a lot of ways, and we all know how well Sprig & Anne get along. Honestly I guess it's personal preference if you're into that sort of thing. There's also Anne/Sasha/Marcy, of course.

From what I've seen, I'd be more inclined to say that Anne and Marcy's relationship was far less obviously toxic. But it was still toxic as gently caress. Sasha was pretty ruthless at times but it seemed like a lot of what she did was down her being the "Alpha" of the group. She got in with Grime and the toads to carve out a place of safety for her friends - because she wanted to protect them like she'd always done before. Getting stranded in Amphibia was a bad situation, so Sasha... broke bad in a "hard people hard choices" kind of way.

Marcy was the one who decided that dragging her friends off to be trapped in a dangerous alien land would be the best way to maintain their friendship. Because apparently Skype wouldn't be an option once she moved away?

I'm wondering if one reason people tend to 'ship the girls with each other is that there doesn't seem to be anyone else in the show who'd be appropriate to 'ship them with. I mean is there any way that Anne/Sprig or Sasha/Grime doesn't come off as weird/skeevy? I'm not seeing it if there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everyone posted:

I'm wondering if one reason people tend to 'ship the girls with each other is that there doesn't seem to be anyone else in the show who'd be appropriate to 'ship them with. I mean is there any way that Anne/Sprig or Sasha/Grime doesn't come off as weird/skeevy? I'm not seeing it if there.
Honestly Amphibia shipping strikes me as a "gotta ship something" thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Marcy had issues with having high Int but basically no Wis, so she was very dependent on somebody else keeping her alive while she otherwise proved her worth with her smarts. Like if you jump straight from Anne's flashback about Marcy's clumsiness to Marcy's revelation, it makes sense that she'd be conscious enough of her dependency issues to do something crazy. There's just also the added irony that in the months they were separated, Marcy clearly figured out both how to take care of herself and how to find somebody else powerful enough to latch onto and keep her safe in the classic dynamic of person thrust into a fantasy world coming into their own and blooming. It's also apparent that Marcy's submissive nature probably didn't help Anne stand up to Sasha at all, but it's hard to really blame her much for that.

While Anne and the Plantars are definitely going to be fun in the next season, I'm actually looking forward more to Sasha's story where she'll probably have to reexamine and reevaluate herself again, and either actually try to go through some kind of redemption arc after so many people have double the reason not to trust her or sink deeper. Grimes might have to do the same thing. He's not exactly a good influence on her. Also all the drama with what's gonna happen to the world of Amphibia now.

Everyone posted:

I think there's a tendency of some people to try to construe all relationships as sexual, but there is the whole thing where since all the frogs are so much smaller, they seem way too young to be paired up with the girls, although most of them are actually probably too old. They're also all cartoony enough you're not as likely to think of them in those terms.

Either way, I'm happy enough to just not see some 13-year old romance.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Everyone posted:

From what I've seen, I'd be more inclined to say that Anne and Marcy's relationship was far less obviously toxic. But it was still toxic as gently caress. Sasha was pretty ruthless at times but it seemed like a lot of what she did was down her being the "Alpha" of the group. She got in with Grime and the toads to carve out a place of safety for her friends - because she wanted to protect them like she'd always done before. Getting stranded in Amphibia was a bad situation, so Sasha... broke bad in a "hard people hard choices" kind of way.

Marcy was the one who decided that dragging her friends off to be trapped in a dangerous alien land would be the best way to maintain their friendship. Because apparently Skype wouldn't be an option once she moved away?

I mean I'm not denying there wasn't toxicity. Although I'd argue that Marcy's main problem was probably enabling Sasha in the name of maintaining the friendship, rather than risk rocking the boat - even when Sasha launched a coup against Andrias, she tried to keep the peace between her & Anne. I guess she's codependent that way.

I'd argue Marcy's probably got a lot of anxieties over being able to make any new friends and if Sasha or Anne would actually be willing to maintain the friendship long distance. Which probably motivated...the incident. It was definitely a very poor decision, but it wasn't like she actually expected it to really happen. She didn't know how dangerous it would be. Which granted isn't an excuse. She was perfectly willing to focus on getting home once she reunited with Anne, even though she was clearly saddened by it and the knowledge that she'd be moving away, until Andrias planted the 'let's all be interdimensional explorers' plan, which she latched onto as a lifebelt to trying to preserve the friendship. If it had been on the level and Anne & Sasha weren't on board, I don't think she'd force them to stay.

I mean, at least she never pointed a weapon at Anne. On purpose. Or tried to kill Anne's surrogate frog family (remember the 'execute Hop Pop' plan was Sasha's idea).

SlothfulCobra posted:

Marcy had issues with having high Int but basically no Wis, so she was very dependent on somebody else keeping her alive while she otherwise proved her worth with her smarts. Like if you jump straight from Anne's flashback about Marcy's clumsiness to Marcy's revelation, it makes sense that she'd be conscious enough of her dependency issues to do something crazy. There's just also the added irony that in the months they were separated, Marcy clearly figured out both how to take care of herself and how to find somebody else powerful enough to latch onto and keep her safe in the classic dynamic of person thrust into a fantasy world coming into their own and blooming. It's also apparent that Marcy's submissive nature probably didn't help Anne stand up to Sasha at all, but it's hard to really blame her much for that.
Also this. I think it's worth noting that Marcy didn't realise that for all the personal growth they all had, it was largely because they'd been split up and grown as individuals. I feel like the sleepover episode were her & Anne had come to the realization they didn't need Sasha to tell them what to do. It could have been the beginning of her coming to the realization that she could function without Anne & Sasha by her side, but obviously literally right after Anne leaves, she's emotionally vulnerable, and then Andrias is right there with this great idea about how they'd never have to be apart again...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

While Anne and the Plantars are definitely going to be fun in the next season, I'm actually looking forward more to Sasha's story where she'll probably have to reexamine and reevaluate herself again, and either actually try to go through some kind of redemption arc after so many people have double the reason not to trust her or sink deeper. Grimes might have to do the same thing. He's not exactly a good influence on her. Also all the drama with what's gonna happen to the world of Amphibia now.

One thing that might be interesting is if Sasha and Grime re-evaluate themselves and then end up having to re-evaluate their re-evaluations. Like, they want to be better, kinder, more trustworthy people. But Andrias is a foe who deserves and will require every bit of ruthless cunning and viciousness they can muster against him.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's a tendency of some people to try to construe all relationships as sexual, but there is the whole thing where since all the frogs are so much smaller, they seem way too young to be paired up with the girls, although most of them are actually probably too old. They're also all cartoony enough you're not as likely to think of them in those terms.

I'm probably wrong about this but I can't help but think that if this show was about Andy, Mark and Sam (basically three 13 year old boys) getting drawn into Amphibia, there would overall be less 'shipping of them. I don't know. It's like the three of them being girls means they somehow have to be in some kind of romantic relationships.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Either way, I'm happy enough to just not see some 13-year old romance.

I don't necessarily mind it. I'm watching The Owl House which has a plot of the developing relationship between Amity Blight and Luz Noceda both whom are around 14 (Luz is specifically stated to be 14). That said, there's plenty of other female characters on that show who aren't in romantic relationships and are completely fine with that. With Anne, Marcy and Sasha, I kind of wonder how much of the 'shipping comes down to "Well, they're girls. They have to somebody's love interest, even if that means they have to be each others' love interest."

Everyone fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 20, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well there's also the aspect where toxic masculinity has rules dissuading a certain level of physical intimacy for fear of being confused for sexual interest, so male characters would be much less likely to be casually touching eachother, whereas girls don't have the same sort of social reinforcement making them refrain from that sort of intimacy with friends, but the intimacy that is there can more readily be construed as sexual. And in some respect, that's where the desire for subtle gay coding and toxic masculinity agree. I don't make the rules, I just messily deduce them from trial and error.

I didn't actually think of the angle where "all girls must have a love interest" though. Which actually makes me hope more that the show doesn't try to mire itself in romantic webs in the ninth hour.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well there's also the aspect where toxic masculinity has rules dissuading a certain level of physical intimacy for fear of being confused for sexual interest, so male characters would be much less likely to be casually touching eachother, whereas girls don't have the same sort of social reinforcement making them refrain from that sort of intimacy with friends, but the intimacy that is there can more readily be construed as sexual. And in some respect, that's where the desire for subtle gay coding and toxic masculinity agree. I don't make the rules, I just messily deduce them from trial and error.

I didn't actually think of the angle where "all girls must have a love interest" though. Which actually makes me hope more that the show doesn't try to mire itself in romantic webs in the ninth hour.

I think the main/only real candidate for something like that would be Anne herself. Figure Sasha and Marcy are going to be apart and the non-humans of Amphibia are pretty damned non-human. I don't either of them dating a toad, frog or newt. Plus Marcy will be spending time healing and being Andrias's prisoner unless my deliberately bullshit "theory" about the real Marcy being dead and the one we saw in the tank is the clone of her that he's growing (yes I'm an rear end in a top hat who wants onscreen Disney show child murder to be a thing).

However Anne is back in LA around a whole bunch of other humans. And I do remember the one episode where Hop-Pop was kind of good-naturedly torturing the hell out of her by asking if she had any boyfriends in LA. I think what I'd kind like to see would be a subversion of that. Like we learn that pre-Amphibia Anne had been kind of crushing on some hot, popular guy that barely knew she existed. Now Anne comes back and is known as a dimension-traveling alien frog-world badass, so he notices her and is into her (or pretends to be) because she's now a popular celebrity (I mean the Plantars are talking alien frog people on Earth which would seem to be something it'd be hard to keep a lid on).

Except that now she's the one who barely notices him, not out of payback but because she has friends to save and poo poo to do. Which would make him an excellent humam agent for Andrias to use against her.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i can't see any new romantic plots happening in amphibia at all, especially when spring and ivy are already around and being cute

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

i can't see any new romantic plots happening in amphibia at all, especially when spring and ivy are already around and being cute

Plus there are more interesting character beats to explore with Anne than "Anne gets a boy/girlfriend."

All three of the girls have been treated quite a bit like adults within Amphibia. Sasha is Grime's second-in-command and partner. Marcy was Newtopia chief problem solver. Even with the Plantars Anne seemed to fit in as Sprig's mostly grown older sister. All the girls had expectations and responsibilities placed on them.

Now that Anne is back in LA she's going to be treated like a 13 year old child again by her parents and other human adults (at least at first). I suspect that Hop-Pop is going to try to push back against that. For one thing he's seen how Anne has risen to some pretty formidable occasions. But another thing might be that he begins to feel a little guilty for pushing/enabling someone who was still a child by her people's standards to grow up before her time.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Everyone posted:

I'm probably wrong about this but I can't help but think that if this show was about Andy, Mark and Sam (basically three 13 year old boys) getting drawn into Amphibia, there would overall be less 'shipping of them. I don't know. It's like the three of them being girls means they somehow have to be in some kind of romantic relationships.

I don't necessarily mind it. I'm watching The Owl House which has a plot of the developing relationship between Amity Blight and Luz Noceda both whom are around 14 (Luz is specifically stated to be 14). That said, there's plenty of other female characters on that show who aren't in romantic relationships and are completely fine with that. With Anne, Marcy and Sasha, I kind of wonder how much of the 'shipping comes down to "Well, they're girls. They have to somebody's love interest, even if that means they have to be each others' love interest."

I'm fairly certain there would be the same amount of shipping, just different people doing it maybe. There's quite a market out there for guy-on-guy love. Just look at Voltron.

I'd say it's probably more because of how big of a deal the relationships between those 3 characters are in the show and how interesting their dynamics are. As important as the Plantars are to the story, the central drama and plot seems focused around the 3 humans. Also the kind of toxic relationships where they bring out their worst impulses but are kind of low-key obsessed with each other is prime shipping material.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 21, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cute bit with the Centaurworld cast (and lead creator) singing one of the songs here.

The dub track seems to be pulled from a zoom sesh, but it gives a better sense of what the show is like tonally. Or at least will be part of the time.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Open Source Idiom posted:

Cute bit with the Centaurworld cast (and lead creator) singing one of the songs here.

The dub track seems to be pulled from a zoom sesh, but it gives a better sense of what the show is like tonally. Or at least will be part of the time.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to be viewing this show, and I think it wants it that way. It's got me interested and curious, I gotta give it that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I imagine there will be a part where she will try and get superpowers like Anne did. And now I'm imagining her as Vegeta from DBZA wanting to be a Super Saiyan.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mraagvpeine posted:

I imagine there will be a part where she will try and get superpowers like Anne did. And now I'm imagining her as Vegeta from DBZA wanting to be a Super Saiyan.

I fully expect that all three of the girls will get the super-power-up for a final battle with Andrias and his robot army.

Meanwhile, even if Grimes isn't exactly a good influence on Sasha, he's also not necessarily a bad influence either. With him she's learned courage and hard work. Plus, it's clear that just as Anne was "adopted" by the Plantars, Sasha was adopted by Grimes, who takes a kind of surrogate father role with her.

It's ironic and a bit sad that of the three girls, the only one who didn't get a new "Amphibi-family" was Marcy, because Andrias ultimately only saw her as a useful tool.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/ScoobyandCam/status/1407375754992754689

I don't really know how this is going to work out, but all I can hope for is that it'll be weird. I don't think the Scooby Movies' higher budget aesthetic really meshes well with Courage the Cowardly Dog's cheaper surrealism, but who knows how it'll turn out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/DillyDilworth/status/1407129164919062532

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Which is fine, I’m not saying the movie will be good, but if you look at his Twitter Dilworth is a crazy COVID denier, so good riddance.

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 23, 2021

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Which is fine, I’m not saying the movie will be good, but if you look at his Twitter Dilworth is a crazy COVID denier, so good riddance.

Oh woof! I wish I saw that before giving my condolences on twitter. Well, gently caress it. Still sucks to lose your product.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Covok posted:

Oh woof! I wish I saw that before giving my condolences on twitter. Well, gently caress it. Still sucks to lose your product.

For sure, but I’m sure it’s CN recognizing Courage as a potentially lucrative “nostalgia” IP but knowing they don’t want to touch Dilworth with a ten foot pole. Usually I’m on the side of creatives here, but when the creative in question doesn’t care about the deaths of a million people I lose a lot of sympathy!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Meddling kids, you made me look bad! OOGA BOOGA BOOOGA!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Aw man!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is Eustace going to be voiced by Wallace Shawn again because that was weird.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Now that Luz seems to be crushing on Amity too, I am super eager to see the fifth episode Luz and Amity are trapped together by themselves in the library of this season's The Owl House.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

looks fun

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1408093604749402115

maybe this will be the one CH Greenblatt show that doesn't get cancelled within 3 years :unsmith:

e: removed my mean comment!! not referring to the above one, that isn't mean, it's hopeful!!!!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 24, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It looks like Chowder except everyone is a Hanna-Barbera character, which I'm perfectly fine with.

But drat I don't think we've heard about this show since it's announcement and now it's coming out next month.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hannah Barbera has too many characters, so they can't just turn the faucet on a little. You can't get just a few, you have to get all of them at once.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Glad to see Johnny truly kicked that heroin habit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's not a proper Hanna-Barbera reunion without all those weird celebrity cartoons they made. We need the Harlem Globetrotters, Laurel and Hardy, Jerry Lewis, and the Robonic Stooges.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, it's gonna be really weird seeing Peter Potamus portrayed like in his original cartoons after Harvey Birdman...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KingKalamari posted:

Man, it's gonna be really weird seeing Peter Potamus portrayed like in his original cartoons after Harvey Birdman...

As was just noted, it's going to be weird watching Johnny Quest in this after Johnny Quest in Venture Brothers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No one told me Season Two of Owl House had started!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hannah Barbera has too many characters, so they can't just turn the faucet on a little. You can't get just a few, you have to get all of them at once.

To be fair, most have got like, two personality traits if you're lucky. (I used to watch the occasional marathon of old H-B cartoons on Boomerang, and it was so boring it was oddly compelling) Might as well save yourself the effort of filling out a supporting cast and just use the lot.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Finally caught up to the thread again. I haven't found time to watch Amphibia or Owl House yet, but it's great to hear that it's bound to be a good time, and how Owl House is pretty cute and queer. I look forward to re-reading this thread and those spoiler bars. :v:

While Centaurworld doesn't grab me, it looks like it was made with a lot of heart and looks bizarre enough that word of mouth might get people to watch it. Jellystone looks promising, and I'm hoping the creators were fans of Harvey Birdman and sneak in some references.

*takes a deep breath* Okay, this got posted in the Fabgoon thread but I didn't see it here. The discussion a few pages back about queer reading and representation in cartoons was quite interesting, so I'm sure we can all agree that this attempt at representation is completely loving bizarre and painful on so many levels.

https://twitter.com/Most/status/1407715074853199874

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw that in the fabgoons thread the other day, and showed it to my boyfriend. He lasted about 5 seconds and just said ‘no.’

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Someone else said it best: it's like a long lost 2000s adult swim cartoon in a bad way.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, it looks terrible. I have no plans to watch it. Frankly feels like we get this cartoon regutiated every few years.

One of the creator swears its Netflix doing horrible marketing. I don't buy it, but, as someone reminded me, Netflix did gently caress up their marketing so badly once that a documentary trying to expose the sexualization of minors in media was seen as in support of that sexualization and the creator got incorrectly labeled a pedophile for it and made a pariah. So, it's possible but I highly doubt it.

Thread: https://twitter.com/cabeeese/status/1408095598603948035?s=20

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, I'm never gonna actually watch it, but I fully believe in Netflix loving marketing up so badly that something looks like it's the opposite of what it's trying to be.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's not just Netflix, other companies gently caress up their marketing. Anyone remember the first trailers for Supergirl? Or the trailers for Terminator Genisys that spoil every big twist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Perhaps all marketing is evil and the true sin is capitalism being allowed to pollute and destroy the world and our minds.