Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
you can switch characters at anytime there is a little button on the UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New Dev Diary - One Culture Is Not Enough​

On how to create hybrid and divergent cultures

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks fun. I’m glad there’s a rule for turning hybrid-hybrid cultures back on for the AI. As with almost all game rules I want maximum weirdness.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

verbal enema posted:

you can switch characters at anytime there is a little button on the UI
Wish it gave you the option during Ironman... Even if it meant turning off Ironman from that point!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

i am a huge anti-fan of the ethos system and dont understand why the devs are stereotyping some cultures as being spiritual and some cultures as being inventive. like, if you want to say a culture is better at raiding or they build universities or they build monumental constructions, these are all specific things and seem totally fine and reasonable as well as guiding to have those types of play styles. but why are we acting like some cultures are smarter or more aggressive than others in the year 2021?

It depends on how you define 'smarter'.

Some cultures were more curious than others. Curiosity sometimes led to invention. If that's your definition then there really are 'smarter' cultures. I think what you're fearing is that culture become blended, more than it already is, with ethnicity. I agree that saying 'hey these people over here, they're just better' with 'people' meaning culture, ethnicity, location with no real defined boundaries. That's awful. But I don't think that's what paradox is going for.

Also it's really not good news for eurocentric types because culturally europe forgot that washing was important for about 1500 years.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Dwesa posted:

New Dev Diary - One Culture Is Not Enough​

On how to create hybrid and divergent cultures

:discourse:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Emergent cultures are fun.

I always felt CK lacks the feeling of the march of history. You get a little of that in gradual province development, but it's not dramatic and relatively even. Those new cultures, on the other hand, might make it interesting to look at what world you get.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

Wish it gave you the option during Ironman... Even if it meant turning off Ironman from that point!

I did have an Ironman game end up with the character select screen for some reason, but when I saved and quit it was back to normal. No idea what bug I triggered, but it was fun to bounce around the map and play different areas for a bit.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So riddle me this: I'm playing as Duchess Matilda. I spot that the Duke of Serbia has a genius son so I marry him. Eventually I land him as a vassal count. Then as I'm on my way to forming the Kingdom of Italy, I notice that my domain limit drops. It doesn't take me long to see why: my husband is no longer my vassal, and the two counties I gave him aren't even in the HRE any more! When his dad died, he got one county in the inheritance, and no duchy titles. Nevertheless, he transferred vassalage over to his older brother.

Just, what the hell, game. :psyduck:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

That update log makes playing as a crusader state and managing a hybrid culture and all that look really fun. I need to find the time for another playthrough of this.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

binge crotching posted:

I did have an Ironman game end up with the character select screen for some reason, but when I saved and quit it was back to normal. No idea what bug I triggered, but it was fun to bounce around the map and play different areas for a bit.

I think some of the big “create realm” events will trigger that ability, even in ironman, like when you actually manage to take a Kingdom during a crusade and your beneficiary gets the top post. But then you'd get these “I wonder what will happen with…” popups that only let you choose to skip to that particular branch, so it doesn't quite sound like what you got.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It seems a bit weird to gate Culture hybridisation behind DLC. I wonder how that'll interact with older melting pots.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Vagabong posted:

It seems a bit weird to gate Culture hybridisation behind DLC. I wonder how that'll interact with older melting pots.

They answered that in some comments. Basically any existing melting pot/culture changes will still happen exactly as before through events or decisions (English etc), and the resulting cultures will follow the new systems but you can't customize them. I believe the DLC just gates the ability to create/customize your own hybrids/branches so you'll still be able to use those just fine.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I still dont have the first DLC but this one will be a day 1 purchase for me

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'm really stoked for this. I was going to start as a Han character and see about making my own little China on the east of the map, but now I'm gonna wait for the DLC and make some cool hybrid cultures with Chinese Characteristics.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
drat this culture update just looks more and more cool. What could be some fun cultural synergies? Mixing the best MAA?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I read that as mixing the best MMA and thought itd be cool if they added little fight clubs or gladiator/jousting stuff

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there really is no joustin and no tourneys in this game

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im still learning so if there is jousting and im missing it then my bad

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How are u posted:

drat this culture update just looks more and more cool. What could be some fun cultural synergies? Mixing the best MAA?

Sadly the MaA counter system as implemented doesn't really support mixing. The best composition by far is as much heavy cavalry as you can afford, be they Armored Horsemen, Cataphracts, Gendarmes, or (best of all) Elephants. The only time this isn't true is if you're in a place that's all mountains, all swamp, or some combination of those. In that case it's as many Armored Footmen (or cultural variant) as the game lets you have.

The best synergy remains Norse or West African (for riverine transport) and basically anything.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PittTheElder posted:

The best synergy remains Norse or West African (for riverine transport) and basically anything.

I spotted Seafaring as a culture component in the DDs, which allows river travel, so that's something to beeline for.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like the additional custom names for certain mixed cultures.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 23, 2021

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tippis posted:

I think some of the big “create realm” events will trigger that ability, even in ironman, like when you actually manage to take a Kingdom during a crusade and your beneficiary gets the top post. But then you'd get these “I wonder what will happen with…” popups that only let you choose to skip to that particular branch, so it doesn't quite sound like what you got.

I was trying for the Canute achievement, and when my ruler died a few months before I would be able to get it I decided I was done for now and hit escape. It gave me the switch character option and I could choose anyone like it was a new game. I bounced around for awhile, and then quit. When I loaded the save later, after choosing my original ruler it went back to the normal ironman menu where you can only return to the menu or quit, and was perfectly normal after that.

Still haven't managed to do Canute.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Boy, I got turbofucked by Genghis Khan. Just absolutely steamrolled me as Siberia. Couldn't get any allies to show up and was outnumbered 2:1. AI decided to play smart and just all hang in one little cluster and just ran across my empire until I had to fight in order to prevent an occupation warscore loss. Of course, then I lost on battles and occupation, so that's great. Went from spanning from Kazakhstan all the way east to the edge of the map to a single lovely county.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Olanphonia posted:

Boy, I got turbofucked by Genghis Khan. Just absolutely steamrolled me as Siberia. Couldn't get any allies to show up and was outnumbered 2:1. AI decided to play smart and just all hang in one little cluster and just ran across my empire until I had to fight in order to prevent an occupation warscore loss. Of course, then I lost on battles and occupation, so that's great. Went from spanning from Kazakhstan all the way east to the edge of the map to a single lovely county.

I dealt with the Mongol problem by converting to the Khagan's religion (Kabarism, as it happens), immediately surrendering, and 'happily' accepting vassalization. Then I demanded independence a couple of his heirs later.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

zonohedron posted:

I dealt with the Mongol problem by converting to the Khagan's religion (Kabarism, as it happens), immediately surrendering, and 'happily' accepting vassalization. Then I demanded independence a couple of his heirs later.

Unfortunately, you can't do that if you're already Empire rank. I just submitted to the Khan and he gave me back some of my old holdings since I still had the main kingdom title. Now to slowly, but surely, take back what's mine.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
My recent games have all been short (couple hundred years, from 867) and Euro-centric, so I haven't seen the Mongols come and reshape the world. That sounds pretty intense and apocalyptic.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

How are u posted:

My recent games have all been short (couple hundred years, from 867) and Euro-centric, so I haven't seen the Mongols come and reshape the world. That sounds pretty intense and apocalyptic.

Mine too (euro centric, I mean) and what usually happens is that they come very strong until they are around Persia and than they stop advancing. And a few decades later they will break into pieces

They dont seems all that dangerous unless you are on the far east side of the map

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 23, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have occasionally seen them get as far as the HRE, but it's not common, yeah.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I miss the Aztecs. They made a great end game boss, when you were already huge and too powerful to be threatened

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hellioning posted:

I have occasionally seen them get as far as the HRE, but it's not common, yeah.

Yeah I saw them conquer the ERE once which was very entertaining. But that level of success is really rare given the way the AI uses it's armies (Raise-All@capital and march to enemy), and because they seem to vassalize most of the people they conquer while acquiring and distributing very few titles of their own (I don't know why this is the case, but Mongol rulers only ever seem to have 1 county level title), they have absolutely no staying power. I have never seen a Mongol successor state last even 30 years.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Through like, five playthroughs I've seen what I would call a successful Mongol invasion once. And even that only lasted a few generations, and I think it was probably bugged because I got the "great khan successor" popup at least three times.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah every time I play I get the message about the Mongols then nothing happens. I kind of assume Genghis khan is just dying of dysentery a lot of the time.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Am playing through Bohemia 1066 as someone recommended it as an interesting start.

The succession rule not being your son but the other top person in your dynasty is interesting. Recently this made it so that my heir was a top vassal that uh, also tried to murder me. So I had him in my dungeon. Wasn't exactly sure how the succession was gonna work in this case, so I decided to execute him.

Now with my death of old age I have switched to a different heir (my next most powerful brother) and my heir is some guy in a dungeon of someone else somewhere. I don't think I can ransom him? Maybe I can somehow...

What's gonna happen with succession here? What do I do?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Just googling Bohemia 1066 I suspect one of the neato things to try in this run went right over my head, that your wife has a claim to Poland and it may be possible to engineer her becoming queen. The King has such low intrigue I didn't really see this as a viable possibility.

All I've done to this point is try to marry off family to get some good alliances, improve development, and whittle at the edges of the adjacent german dutchies, slowly expanding my realm. The pagans up north seem like prime land to take, but Poland appears to be going for the same thing. welp.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Czech MaA has a bonus against pikes and archers. The Italians to your south love pikes, and the Baltics to your north love archers. I'd move in one of those directions.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Olanphonia posted:

Unfortunately, you can't do that if you're already Empire rank. I just submitted to the Khan and he gave me back some of my old holdings since I still had the main kingdom title. Now to slowly, but surely, take back what's mine.

No, you totally can. It goes like this:
Oh poo poo the Mongols!
Okay I'm Kabarite now!
Hey guys, I surrender!
> Mongols vassalize everybody in your empire including you; you lose your empire-rank title but keep any and all titles below that.
[swear fealty to the khan of khans decision becomes available]

Bonus, if you were already feudal you can fiddle with your feudal contract!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They can’t even handle Byzantium and there is no way to do China justice without a massive set of new systems. Just chucking in a feudal China would suck big rear end

Well, that's why you reform Byzantium and see if it works. If it does work well you should be more than halfway there of having the systems to do an imperial China right.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Neurion posted:

I don't get why people struggle so much with partition. By the time I'm 2 or 3 generations in I'm usually making enough monthly renown that I can afford to Disinherit all the extra sons I have, long before Primo even becomes an option, while still saving up for dynastic perks.
What kind of scumbag would disinherit a perfectly capable son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

It depends on how you define 'smarter'.

Some cultures were more curious than others. Curiosity sometimes led to invention. If that's your definition then there really are 'smarter' cultures. I think what you're fearing is that culture become blended, more than it already is, with ethnicity. I agree that saying 'hey these people over here, they're just better' with 'people' meaning culture, ethnicity, location with no real defined boundaries. That's awful. But I don't think that's what paradox is going for.

Also it's really not good news for eurocentric types because culturally europe forgot that washing was important for about 1500 years.

This is completely untrue. This was a reaction among some elites to the black death that lasted a couple of centuries and was not nearly as broad or deep as popular memory implies. It's mostly a myth.