Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I will always remember hearing about how Notch had one of the walls in like his living room converted to dispense candy but when an interviewer came over he told them they couldn’t have any because it never got used so all the candy was bad. Man can’t even Howard Hughes right.
I'll take you to the candy shop
I'll let you lick a lollipop
Whoops, girl, I just forgot
I have no friends so it all rot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Pants Donkey posted:

:perfect:

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Pants Donkey posted:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Pants Donkey posted:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pants Donkey posted:

:golfclap:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
a goon who can actually maintain the original meter of a song parody, what a time to be alive

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

I am honored to have played a part in this, small though it was.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Maggie Mae Fish - MYTH OF THE AUTEUR: Stanley Kubrick vs David Lynch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr65ZIWoD6c

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGUOmIHLRQ
Ian Brutalmoose talks about a terrible Aaron Carter movie. Turns out there's a reason Aaron Carter doesn't have a movie career. Also a good view on how terrible mid 00s fashion was.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

No.1 Special posted:

Maggie Mae Fish - MYTH OF THE AUTEUR: Stanley Kubrick vs David Lynch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr65ZIWoD6c

That's funny, I was just reading a Twitter thread by Gwendolyn Jae Stone talking about this video and how MMF apparently doesn't know what an auteur even is?

https://twitter.com/GwenLovesMovies/status/1407475308811341829

https://twitter.com/GwenLovesMovies/status/1407475311030071297

I haven't watched the video but honestly judging from the other MMF stuff I've watched, I can see that tbh

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lynch is like... the quintessential auteur in my mind. Like yeah he’s very collaborative, but that’s because he’s an extremely good director who knows how to get people to give the exact performance he’s imagining. Like you see behind the scenes footage of him telling the actors what the scene will look like and it’s eerily identical to what you see on screen.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
lmfao i can already tell that video is going to put me through the roof

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fun hater posted:

lmfao i can already tell that video is going to put me through the roof

I was literally about to post 'lol no way does Fish know what she's talking about in this video, one of you chumps watch it for me and confirm because I'm gonna get mad' and thought 'no that's a comment that isn't needed'.

Turns out I shoulda, I'd have looked like a goddamn prophet!!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pigbuster posted:

Lynch is like... the quintessential auteur in my mind. Like yeah he’s very collaborative, but that’s because he’s an extremely good director who knows how to get people to give the exact performance he’s imagining. Like you see behind the scenes footage of him telling the actors what the scene will look like and it’s eerily identical to what you see on screen.

yea Lynch is probably one of the most famous auteurs currently making stuff still. He's collaborative, but you have to collaborate within his core vision because he's going to explain exactly how he wants the scene to look. You can say 'hey I'm not 100% my character would do that though' and he'll likely hear you out, but that scene's still gonna mostly look how he described by the time it's done.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

and I thought I hosed up when I blurted out a few months ago (on another site, not here lol) that there was no way Soderbergh could be an auteur because he dabbled in so many genres and story conventions lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m glad we’ve reached the point where we can just use twitter takes about videos as shorthand for watching them and still get the same level of emotional stimulation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m glad we’ve reached the point where we can just use twitter takes about videos as shorthand for watching them and still get the same level of emotional stimulation.

I mean, MMF has a history of genuinely not understanding terms she uses and basing entire videos around them so it's not really a wide jump to go 'MMF made a vid about Kubrick talking about Auteur Theory? There's no loving way she knows what that means other than 'probably a bit of a dick about their vision'.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

It’s easy and fun to do and also maybe one of the greatest problems with how the human mind works.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Why waste 40 minutes of our time to listen to terrible takes when others do it for us? It's the same reason I won't sit through a moviebob or Mauler video

fun hater
May 24, 2009

ill watch it eventually so i can get the dopamine my brain makes when i get mad once i get out of bed

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pigbuster posted:

It’s easy and fun to do and also maybe one of the greatest problems with how the human mind works.

I was going to say "the secret is figuring out a way to have video essays in twitter hot take format" but that's already kind of what TikTok (and the TikTokification of Youtube and Instagram) is.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

mild spoilers for twin peaks season 3 ahead but i actually recently watched all of twin peaks and was obsessed with the way lynch directs. the features with him interacting with his actors and crew are incredible to watch because of the rapport he has with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im07r-0IH_s

also one of the funniest videos of all time is this video of various lynch leading ladies (watts, dern and arquette) talking about working with him and telling stories about him busting out insane things out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLreaAQA9kA

NAOMI, ANYONE WHO SITS IN THE HAND OF KING KONG WILL BE A MOVIE STAR FOR LIFE

e: im also halfway through this video and it's just been a dissection of "the shining" instead of, what i assumed would be, a retrospective on kubrick's career, a definition of auteur or something to do with the title.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 23, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Y'all are weird; I thought it was a pretty decent video. It's not really subverting the idea of the auteur so much as exploring how the concept of the auteur director as visionary god king of their film is used to downplay or excuse abuses by people like Kubrick in the pursuit of their "vision". I never really got the sense that the video was trying to say that David Lynch wasn't also an auteur, it was more using him as a contrasting example to show that abusing your actors is not inherently tied to the realization of an auteur's vision.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t think she says “auteur” once—maybe once. It doesn’t articulate or rely upon a theory of the auteur other than as shorthand for the idea of a director as a controlling presence. It’s a good argument about how narratives of a movie’s production can inform readings of two thematically similar movies.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

okay, pause. im at 23:52 of a 46 min video and she dropped "he's an auteur, he's one of the best, right?" which is not what that term means lol. like, objectively, wildly, not what it means. an auteur is someone who is in a position to carry out their specific and unique vision to a collaborative genre with little or no influence from the outside. this is usually a director, but it can be a producer when it comes to music and the like. literally, it assigns a single person as the "author" of a work.

french new wave gave birth to the idea that a director can use a camera as a tool the same way that an artist uses a brush: as a direct means to create and envision their art and put it on the canvas. the idea of the auteur as a genius is spun from uhhh. i dunno. a lot of well liked directors who have very specific styles and themes they tend to investigate through their work. why not spend time clearing up this misconception instead of explaining what method acting is for some reason lol

e: i simply expected a vid called "myth of the auteur" to address that myth lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fun hater posted:

okay, pause. im at 23:52 of a 46 min video and she dropped "he's an auteur, he's one of the best, right?" which is not what that term means lol. like, objectively, wildly, not what it means. an auteur is someone who is in a position to carry out their specific and unique vision to a collaborative genre with little or no influence from the outside. this is usually a director, but it can be a producer when it comes to music and the like. literally, it assigns a single person as the "author" of a work.

french new wave gave birth to the idea that a director can use a camera as a tool the same way that an artist uses a brush: as a direct means to create and envision their art and put it on the canvas. the idea of the auteur as a genius is spun from uhhh. i dunno. a lot of well liked directors who have very specific styles and themes they tend to investigate through their work. why not spend time clearing up this misconception instead of explaining what method acting is for some reason lol

Now articulate the implications for her thesis.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I don’t think she says “auteur” once—maybe once. It doesn’t articulate or rely upon a theory of the auteur other than as shorthand for the idea of a director as a controlling presence. It’s a good argument about how narratives of a movie’s production can inform readings of two thematically similar movies.

I feel like the assumed definition of auteur in the video goes a bit beyond "director as controlling presence" into "Director as artist in pursuit of a vision" and how this mythologizing of the auteur director can be used to remove culpability for the impact their directing decisions have on their crew. The idea that Kubrick behaving like an abusive crazypants to Shelley Duvall was excusable because it was a means to achieve his artistic vision for the film.

The video's not about trying to frame the idea of the auteur as a myth, but about dispelling the mythology that has arisen around the idea of the auteur director.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Now articulate the implications for her thesis.

the idea that an auteur is someone who is mean and views their cast and crew as disposable, which is why lynch is not an auteur is overtly silly.

e: auteur theory is not a measurement of quality or morality. its a way to view and critique film

e: lmfao oh my god framing egbert as a misogynist bc he raised worries abt lynch's portrayal of women. come on. it was a common talking point back in the 90s bc all of his narratives about women revolve around trauma and violence. albeit, with his full body of work, i think it is through a sympathetic lens even if he can only write two kinds of women: mentally ill sex worker and nagging wife.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 23, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fun hater posted:

e: im also halfway through this video and it's just been a dissection of "the shining" instead of, what i assumed would be, a retrospective on kubrick's career, a definition of auteur or something to do with the title.
I dropped out of it when she's going into how the scene that sticks with you the most is blowjob bear because that scene's one of the most forgettable in the entire movie - I've forgotten multiple times that it's even in the movie.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I dropped out of it when she's going into how the scene that sticks with you the most is blowjob bear because that scene's one of the most forgettable in the entire movie - I've forgotten multiple times that it's even in the movie.

im from a generation that doesn't think the blowjob bear is weird bc many of my friends are blowjob bears

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Everyone not watching the video made me start watching the video, but I'm taking a breather because Maggie Mae Fish reminded me that Blue Lagoon was a thing. That was sure a weird movie about a lot of nude teenage swimming and incest.

e- and I remember the bear costume bit, but maybe some of that is someone on these forums had it as their avatar for years.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 23, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Everyone not watching the video made me start watching the video, but I'm taking a breather because Maggie Mae Fish reminded me that Blue Lagoon was a thing. That was sure a weird movie about a lot of nude teenage swimming and incest.

Wait, were the main characters in Blue Lagoon supposed to be related? I only ever caught that movie when it aired on Showtime and never saw the first third or so.

Also looking it up on Wikipedia reveals it was directed by the same guy as Honey I Blew Up the Kid? And Flight of the Navigator?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fun hater posted:

the idea that an auteur is someone who is mean and views their cast and crew as disposable, which is why lynch is not an auteur is overtly silly.

e: auteur theory is not a measurement of quality or morality. its a way to view and critique film

Can you find a claim anywhere in the video about Lynch being or not being an auteur? Or another instance where the word auteur appears? I don’t think the video’s about that, even if she says “auteur” twice or even three times. It’s contrasting two films that seem similar in certain respects by showing how the narratives created about their production can be used as lenses to reveal certain differences in how they represent male brutality and the abuse of women. She’s analyzing four stories—two movies, two promotional campaigns about those movies—and not, so far as I can tell, developing a theory of the auteur or using it as a category for describing how Lynch and Kubrick are unalike.

The original tweet thread above says this too. The claim of those tweets is “this video makes a good argument but leaves the definition of auteur unexplored, which has the consequence of reinforcing the cultural myth of the auteur by implication when Lynch is discussed positively. This is unfortunate for the video because its project seems to partially involve dismantling the myth of the auteur where Kubrick is concerned.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

Many of the Brooke Shields nude scenes (maybe all of them) were done by the dolphin trainer, who did not know she would be doing nudity in a movie when she was hired but was somehow convinced once she arrived on location. Hollywood!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Can you find a claim anywhere in the video about Lynch being or not being an auteur?

its a compare/contrast between one director, who is being posited as a poor example of auteur theory and another as a comparative golden boy. im using basic media literacy to glean the meaning of the author's intent using context clues, outside knowledge, the way in which the two directors were presented within the video themselves by the author acting as proxies for them by taking on characters associated with them (annoying fan for kubrick and literally just patricia arquette for lynch) and not limiting myself to strictly text as the end-all-be-all of discussion.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

Wait, were the main characters in Blue Lagoon supposed to be related? I only ever caught that movie when it aired on Showtime and never saw the first third or so.

Also looking it up on Wikipedia reveals it was directed by the same guy as Honey I Blew Up the Kid? And Flight of the Navigator?

They're first cousins, iirc. That's also in the book the movie's based on, so I guess we can't blame Hollywood on that completely.

Many of the Brooke Shields nude scenes (maybe all of them) were done by the dolphin trainer, who did not know she would be doing nudity in a movie when she was hired but was somehow convinced once she arrived on location. Hollywood!

:barf:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

its a compare/contrast between one director, who is being posited as a poor example of auteur theory and another as a comparative golden boy. im using basic media literacy to glean the meaning of the author's intent using context clues, outside knowledge, the way in which the two directors were presented within the video themselves by the author acting as proxies for them by taking on characters associated with them (annoying fan for kubrick and literally just patricia arquette for lynch) and not limiting myself to strictly text as the end-all-be-all of discussion.

what the!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fun hater posted:

I’m sorry she made fun of strong daddy, but Zack Snyder seems like a cool guy who wouldn’t care if someone criticizes his movies, even if he thinks they’re wrong, because it’s not that important. He’s so cool that he’d probably still act like a cool guy even if someone said something that made him angry or upset, because he knows that doesn’t matter and life is for enjoying.

Find the part in the video where she articulates a theory of the auteur or claims that Lynch is not an auteur or that the category of the auteur is necessary for developing a claim about Lynch. We can start with the text and work outward from there.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

either way i think this presents a dishonest attempt to explain auteur theory, which presents a sincerely interesting way of looking at a director's body of work. i don't think auteur theory should ever be the only way someone dissects their movies because its intellectually dishonest to pretend a director is solely responsible for a movie's final product. but the undeniable heavy hand that a director holds during the process of actually putting the thing onto film allows us to at least recognize that many directors bring as much of themselves as they can manage into the creation. i dunno. i do not like the way she engages with media. this isn't the first vid ive seen from her, i watched a few of her christian movie vids a while back

I’m sorry she made fun of strong daddy, but Zack Snyder seems like a cool guy who wouldn’t care if someone criticizes his movies, even if he thinks they’re wrong, because it’s not that important. He’s so cool that he’d probably still act like a cool guy even if someone said something that made him angry or upset, because he knows that doesn’t matter and life is for enjoying.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I started watching again

fun hater posted:

why not spend time clearing up this misconception instead of explaining what method acting is for some reason lol

I was about to suggest it was from the Broey Deschanel video from a couple weeks ago, but then she straight up directed people to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVWGyuBFgzw

one of the concerns there is how method acting, and driving for a "genuine" emotional reaction often winds up as a vehicle for male actors and directors to abuse their co-stars, particularly female ones. Kubrick and Shelly were brought up there as an example. It makes more sense to digress into it there when it's a broader critique on the method.

fun hater posted:

i dunno. i do not like the way she engages with media. this isn't the first vid ive seen from her, i watched a few of her christian movie vids a while back

I think sometimes she makes logical leaps that are a lot further than her video clips or written arguments carry me, and comes off sounding like she feels she's found a much more "objective" truth than I'm really seeing. Sometimes I find her points interesting, like in one of her earlier videos about Tim Burton and how in spite of a lot of subversive visuals, a lot of his movies seem to crave the normalcy of suburbia (until those feeemales ruin things.) The method thing is a good example, actually, because like a brief aside about the problems with method acting doesn't feel like enough grounding to build the argument on, without also watching another creator's more thoroughly reasoned video essay.