Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Midnight Voyager posted:

Look, racism I can... I'm not going to say I can understand it, but I can EXPECT it. But I live in the south. I CANNOT imagine being afraid of goddamn air conditioning.

If it can condition the air, what's to stop it from conditioning everything else? And don't say physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Dream Quest is lovecrafts best story. :colbert:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

reminder that you should try to support your local library(assuming it doesnt suck), they also "rent" out other physical media and have their own smaller streaming services

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Look, racism I can... I'm not going to say I can understand it, but I can EXPECT it. But I live in the south. I CANNOT imagine being afraid of goddamn air conditioning.

Lovecraft was the man who was afraid that if a woman got on a train her uterus would fly out because of speeds greater than 15 miles per hour.

Like every absolutely insane idea that ever sprung out of the 17th-19th century, Lovecraft probably thought it. Man was absolutely loving petrified of everything and I think half his family literally went insane and died, like that was just a thing you did for fun in the 19th century. The impetus for most of his writing was that he saw a mixed race person and had to go lie down and have a panic attack because of visions of aliens he got from it or something.

He is basically what right wingers think millenials are, except because he was racist rather than because he didn't like racism.

E: actually typing that I realise I'm describing what most right wingers actually are so yeah he would basically have been posting on facebook if he was alive today.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Jun 22, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

christmas boots posted:

I don't know that much about Lovecraft but I always got the sense that he wasn't so much racist in the "my race is genetically superior and should rule over the world" sense but more that he was just existentially terrified of anything and everything that was different from him. This is still racism of course, but it just feels way more pathetic.

Hitler or Lovecraft shows quotes from both men and asks you to identify the speaker. It's really hard to tell them apart.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

RandolphCarter posted:

The Dream Quest is lovecrafts best story. :colbert:

So loving weird and good. I discovered Lovecraft in college and really enjoyed many of his stories, but this one is just wackadoodle weird.

Need to do a re-read, with edibles.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PhazonLink posted:

reminder that you should try to support your local library(assuming it doesnt suck), they also "rent" out other physical media and have their own smaller streaming services

My local library has a pretty well equiped makerspace. I was going to take my first sewing class the day they closed everything down last March.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ultrafilter posted:

Hitler or Lovecraft shows quotes from both men and asks you to identify the speaker. It's really hard to tell them apart.

I'm 0 for 2 on the first questions so it's going well

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Soylent Pudding posted:

My local library has a pretty well equiped makerspace. I was going to take my first sewing class the day they closed everything down last March.

Mine has a kickass collection of Sheet music books on the upper floor.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

christmas boots posted:

I don't know that much about Lovecraft but I always got the sense that he wasn't so much racist in the "my race is genetically superior and should rule over the world" sense but more that he was just existentially terrified of anything and everything that was different from him. This is still racism of course, but it just feels way more pathetic.

Un(?)fortunately(???) he wasn't very unique in his brand of racism. He held the standard among racists views of "as long as you are marginally white and assimilate 100% into American society, you are welcome", and wrote quite a bit about why everyone else was descended from beasts and should be eugenics-ed out of the population asap. As he got older, the amount of leeway he allowed in his extremely narrow views diminished, and came across as a bit much even to other eugenics fans. I'd say he's less a product of his time, but rather the amount to which his fans and supporters could shrug his racism off is.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm really fond of Lovecraft's brand of creeping, fishy horror, but I almost universally prefer modern adaptations to his actual stories.

The Colour Out Of Space with Nicholas Cage was very excellent.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Lovecraft was also very good at compartmentalizing when it came to his friends. He was a very homophobic person, but he had gay correspondents and mentees. He was an anti-Semite, but he married Sonia Greene, a Jewish woman. (One time, he was telling an anti-Semitic anecdote at a party when Sonia gently reminded him that she was Jewish. "No you're not!" he said. "You're a Lovecraft!" Shockingly, they separated after two years of marriage, though their divorce was never completed.)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I mean Lovecraft had the same mental issues that plagued his family, especially his paternal side. For some reason people don't connect his arbitrary racism to his other eccentricities. Maybe because it seems like making an excuse for him? I can understand that but there's no denying that even ignoring his bigotry he was a deeply troubled man who seemed ill at ease in the world and was scared of everything. Which is essentially what a lot of his stories are: tales about how awful and uncaring the world is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not really arbitrary. He had pretty standard prejudices for the day just cranked up to 11

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/FandomMenaceGrl/status/1406154963143774209

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

What? This pronoun thing has severely broken a lot of people's brains.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Love craft is best thought of as a guy who helped other people come up with cool stuff

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/HoodPigga/status/1406332603020496902

don't use them ngl

don't use them

use them

them

them

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Skwirl posted:

I genuinely saw a tweet once that went “I don’t care what they want to call themselves non binary is not a “valid” term”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

If you told me this was meant to be a parody, I would likely have believed you. Correcting "you" to "they" but ignoring "ma'am" is so dumb it almost feels like it has to be on purpose, and yet...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah it reminds me of people who used to make fun of minion Facebook posts.

By writing something incoherent then putting like if you agree

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Context: an active NFL player came out as gay yesterday, which is a first for the league.

https://twitter.com/CatholicLeague/status/1407350787047673857?s=19

Been trying to parse what this even says for hours or what point they think they're making.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Henchman of Santa posted:

Context: an active NFL player came out as gay yesterday, which is a first for the league.

Been trying to parse what this even says for hours or what point they think they're making.

Well, that's stolen valor for one thing, and I'd expect him to be immediately expelled from Gay Football.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also can’t overlook the framing tweet in which it’s common knowledge that Disney — Disney —is the vanguard of woke speech and political correctness

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I've always had the sneaking suspicion that the Catholic League actually consists of no one but Bill Donoghue all by himself, and the whole political media sphere just persists in the polite fiction that he has as many supporters as he claims he does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume the catholic league are like the human league only with catholics instead of humans.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You were working in the vestry as an altar boy, when I met you.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Data Graham posted:

Also can’t overlook the framing tweet in which it’s common knowledge that Disney — Disney —is the vanguard of woke speech and political correctness

It all comes back to weird nerds being mad about the Last Jedi half a decade on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah nerds realize corporations are just using them but the conclusion they’ve drawn is it’s somehow the people being used fault.

It’s a baffling conclusion

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pookah posted:

I saw this post and even before I scrolled over the spoiler, I remembered the terrible truth, and yeah, I cackled until it hurt.
loving Welsh
One of his other better stories is the one about an exploration of Antarctica. It's a lot less stupid and insane than most, and the atmosphere is pretty good.
Apparently a lot of his atmospheric terror was due to the fact that he was terrified of temperatures below 25 Celsius, later in life it was 30 Celsius. Dude was so insane in so many ways
Was going to say, mountains of madness is probably his best work.

The best lovecraft inspired story is A Colder War by Charles Stross

I'm enjoying Winter Tide at the moment

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

I mean.... Isn't that what every other gay football player has done for the entire history of professional football?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

at the mountains of madness is easily the best

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Shadow Over Innsmouth is his best, because the ending of it has the protagonist leaning that it's okay to be Welsh.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't get the impression he was scared of air conditioning, but was more like "that's kinda neat but WHAT IF IT FAILED?!?".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pookah posted:

I saw this post and even before I scrolled over the spoiler, I remembered the terrible truth, and yeah, I cackled until it hurt.
loving Welsh
One of his other better stories is the one about an exploration of Antarctica. It's a lot less stupid and insane than most, and the atmosphere is pretty good.
Apparently a lot of his atmospheric terror was due to the fact that he was terrified of temperatures below 25 Celsius, later in life it was 30 Celsius. Dude was so insane in so many ways

Atmospheric terror isn't supposed to be terror of the atmosphere.

I'm fond of The Shunned House. Dude was racist against houses. He wrote a letter about the horrible house that inspired the story:
"On the northeast corner of Bridge Street and Elizabeth Avenue is a terrible old house—a hellish place where night-black deeds must have been done in the early seventeen-hundreds—with a blackish unpainted surface, unnaturally steep roof, and an outside flight of stairs leading to the second story, suffocatingly embowered in a tangle of ivy so dense that one cannot but imagine it accursed or corpse-fed."
A steep roof. :ohdear:

The house in the story has all manner of tragic deaths over the years, with the family being unable to keep servants because of all the spookiness, leading to the house eventually being abandoned. Through the exhaustive examination of the history of the property it turns out the problems go back to before the the house was built. Back in the 1700s there was a different house inhabited by horrible French Catholics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Back in the 1700s there was a different house inhabited by horrible French Catholics.

Ehh, fair enough.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I didn't get the impression he was scared of air conditioning, but was more like "that's kinda neat but WHAT IF IT FAILED?!?".

What if you used air conditioning for NEFARIOUS PURPOSES like CREATING THE UNDEAD????

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

from what i'm told doing this on grinder gets you lots of DMs

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He was deathly afraid of the cold so it really is just him hating AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bruce Sterling posted:

*What economics looks like when all your jobs are made up by concept artists

https://twitter.com/DCLBlogger/status/1407527416172449792?s=20

I found the above tweet because Bruce Sterling retweeted it, I'd link to it, but his account is protected, I don't think he'd mind me sharing his comment though. You can just follow him and if you're obviously not a bot he (or more likely an assistant) should add you manually within a couple days. https://twitter.com/bruces