Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't read comics. I'm talking about a TV show.

It's a comic book TV show. It's like complaining about people leaping two stories in kungfu/wuxia movies being unrealistic or CSI and other crime dramas being able to process DNA in hours rather than weeks.

RandomBlue posted:

They've got their own problems, get over it.

He won't despite everyone's best efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

gently caress yeah, Clark changed in a phone booth. The only thing that would've made that sequence better would've been a quick hit of the Williams' theme.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
God, Hoechlin is great at being dorky Clark.

Edit: The Friday Night Lights at the movie theatre pegs this stuff around 2004 or 2005 which is wild to think about.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 23, 2021

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I cannot stress how much they nailed all that Superman origins stuff. They could've made a whole show out of it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That was a Class of 95 yearbook Clark was looking at right?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I have to say Hoechlin is really surprising me with his portrayal of Clark and Superman. He's *really* good in this episode.

I also love that Lois career was separate from, and in spite of Superman at first. Her opening Clarks eyes to systemic oppression is a great beat in their relationship. I also really appreciate the clear call out that she is a *good reporter* and it's not just down to her relationship with Superman.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Oof, I suspected Edge turned the other Earth's Superman but I hoped it wouldn't happen to this one. Will be interesting to see how they resolve it - presumably it'll take more than just Lois & the boys appealing to their dad to snap out of it.

I thought last episode Edge said Lara was the AI hologram in his fortress?

All throughout those scenes with the Kents visiting Lana/Kyle/Sarah I was so uneasy, I expected Edge to burst in and expose their secrets immediately. This show is just unpredictable enough to do something like that in its first season.

Was good (in a believable way) to see Jordan step up to fight Edge and immediately have his rear end handed to him.

Jordan still has the crystal from the pod, right? So he could repair the Fortress or perhaps even build a new one? I'd kinda love for him to build one on the Kent farm, or perhaps under the barn.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like that Edge was smart enough to put his fortress of solitude in the desert. :sun:

Sloth Life posted:

I have to say Hoechlin is really surprising me with his portrayal of Clark and Superman. He's *really* good in this episode.

I also love that Lois career was separate from, and in spite of Superman at first. Her opening Clarks eyes to systemic oppression is a great beat in their relationship. I also really appreciate the clear call out that she is a *good reporter* and it's not just down to her relationship with Superman.

Clark and Lois are so well cast. They are fantastic.

Xelkelvos posted:

God, Hoechlin is great at being dorky Clark.

:hmmyes:

e: Looks like the next ep is July 12th.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 23, 2021

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
HOW DID EDGE KNOW WHERE SUPERMANS FORTRESS WAS!?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vietnamwees posted:

HOW DID EDGE KNOW WHERE SUPERMANS FORTRESS WAS!?

Followed him? At the end of the previous episode, Superman was severely weakened. The humans who'd been turned into Kryptonians all got turned back, but I think Edge was basically fine?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tiggum posted:

Followed him? At the end of the previous episode, Superman was severely weakened. The humans who'd been turned into Kryptonians all got turned back, but I think Edge was basically fine?

I wondered too, but he said that he followed him. Superman's been shown to be able to hear poo poo happening in other countries, so presumably an ability like that would be a good Edge if you're trying to follow someone

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I really liked how they flipped the usual "Lois falls for superman, and grows to like clark" to her falling in love with clark and wasn't that interested in superman.

This show is just fantastic.

Tiggum posted:

maybe he tracked the eradicator? Clark had it with him at the end of the episode.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 23, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That scene was great. It was really nice to see all the scenes from the pilot expanded. Tyler just kills the young Superman vibe. I hope they don't fall down the CW well into mediocre crap the other shows reign in.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That scene was great. It was really nice to see all the scenes from the pilot expanded. Tyler just kills the young Superman vibe. I hope they don't fall down the CW well into mediocre crap the other shows reign in.

Why can't they just use the same "make the show be good" machine they're using here on the rest of shows :sigh:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Maybe my fav episode of the show so far. The first 28 minutes just being a surprise origin story, and being well-done at that, ruled

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

XboxPants posted:

Why can't they just use the same "make the show be good" machine they're using here on the rest of shows :sigh:

Limited good writers would be my guess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Hoechlin is one of my favourite Arrowverse actors, his take on Superman is probably one of the best I've ever seen since Christopher Reeve, and I hope Sephiroth has a much bigger role in FF7 Remake Part II because the dude killed it in that role too, especially with that whole "batshit stalker ex-boyfriend" vibe Remake/Post-Advent Children Sephiroth has through the whole game.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love what he's doing so much I've almost completely stopped calling him Tiny Clark!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I love what he's doing so much I've almost completely stopped calling him Tiny Clark!

Again, he is perfectly sized for Superman. It's not his fault that Jimmy Olsen is gigantic in this version.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They really, really GET Clark Kent.

My favorite line in Clark & Lois sums up how I've always felt about him - "Superman is what I do, Clark Kent is who I am".

This was that line, stretched out across the episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

They really, really GET Clark Kent.

My favorite line in Clark & Lois sums up how I've always felt about him - "Superman is what I do, Clark Kent is who I am".

This was that line, stretched out across the episode.

I've always liked that take better than Kill Bill's "Clark Kent is the mask" one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, he is perfectly sized for Superman. It's not his fault that Jimmy Olsen is gigantic in this version.

He did look a little silly next to Routh's Superman, admit it.

And I need to gush about the Fleischer styled suit again. I like it more than his normal gear.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

He did look a little silly next to Routh's Superman, admit it.

And I need to gush about the Fleischer styled suit again. I like it more than his normal gear.

Okay yeah, Hoechlin vs. Routh looked like Superman beating the poo poo out of his son :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sloth Life posted:

I mean, it's pretty much canon in every version that Lois is the better actual journalist than Clark, and one of the most well-known in the world for her work even outside Supes. The reason in the comics that she and Clark can move to the country is because she's writing long form investigative books so she doesn't need to be in Metropolis full time.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, it's pretty much canon in every version that Lois is the better actual journalist than Clark, and one of the most well-known in the world for her work even outside Supes. The reason in the comics that she and Clark can move to the country is because she's writing long form investigative books so she doesn't need to be in Metropolis full time.

One more thing they're knocking out of the park is making Lois really live up to being a title character, she really kicks rear end. Both as a journalist, but also just as a fearless beast of a woman. I loved seeing her run up to Atom Man and gently caress him up with a tazer to the face.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I definitely like Superman/Clark having more of an everyman look. You don't need to be a gigantic musclebound perfect-featured Adonis to be heroic, or a good person in general, and I think Hoechlin looking more like just A Guy helps.

That, and it's a little more believable that people would look this Clark Kent in the eye and not immediately realise he's Superman. :V

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

I definitely like Superman/Clark having more of an everyman look. You don't need to be a gigantic musclebound perfect-featured Adonis to be heroic, or a good person in general, and I think Hoechlin looking more like just A Guy helps.

That, and it's a little more believable that people would look this Clark Kent in the eye and not immediately realise he's Superman. :V

Yeah, just someone who can look incredibly dorky and yet also has a jawline that could sink a battleship if he slammed into one, and Hoechlin pulls off both in spades. Superman can look like anything and be anybody... as long as they have a strong jaw line. That poo poo is a dealbreaker.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

When teen Edge and his dad showed up, it was like they took Anakin and Palpatine and shoved them in a pressure cooker with Draco and Voldemort. It was so on the nose as far as villains and proteges go.

But I didn't want the origin story to end. Everything was so good up before Clark started to realize what was happening.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah that first half was super engaging.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Before this last episode of Superman and Lois aired, I was expecting more secret half-siblings to appear, or for Morgan Edge's female superpowered subordinate to be revealed as a brain-wiped Lori Lemaris.

Clark Kent has the Fortress of Solitude.
Morgan Edge has the Fortress of Discipline.

Only area where the show seems to be cheaping out on is the Fortresses, the Fortress of Solitude shown for 35 seconds in the Elseworlds tv-series crossever seemed vmuch bigger/more impressive.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I would absolutely be down for more flashbacks of early Superman, that stuff was really fun.

Does everyone think Edge is actually a Kryptonian or are you expecting a twist? It fits the themes of the show for him to be Supes' half-brother, but that just seems like a huge thing to have to deal with forever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's probably going to be a human implanted by the Eradicator as a child.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That's be a hosed up twist and I feel it's a little late for something like that in the season

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I honestly thought he would turn out to be Zod before I remembered Zod already happened.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/NadriaTucker/status/1408072305960374276?s=19

Pretty worried about the future of the show with Tucker forced out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

I honestly thought he would turn out to be Zod before I remembered Zod already happened.

Edge already happened, they can just claim Crisis changed things if they want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spacebump posted:

Edge already happened, they can just claim Crisis changed things if they want.

That was on Supergirl's Earth, they never have to acknowledge it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

https://twitter.com/NadriaTucker/status/1408072305960374276?s=19

Pretty worried about the future of the show with Tucker forced out.

Fuuuck, this all sucks so much, I didn't know about this: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nadria-tucker-cw-superman-and-lois-hollywood-toxicity_n_603d5eb8c5b6ff75ac3ea433

It's funny, I remember all the things she talks about that she fought against as being sorta borderline issues that I would notice, but I'd consider it, and think, "no, I think this is ok." Like, is this show TOO white? Hmm, I think it's ok, Kyle's very noticeably hispanic and Sarah's mixed and having an interracial relationship with Jon which is just played as normal, there are other PoC characters who aren't villains, you could even say the way they've portrayed Kal's background as an undocumented immigrant has been pretty positive. Nazis and racists are shown as villains, as in this episode with the metal mask guy. So it's like, "nah, it may be feel really heavily whitebread, but I don't think this show is racist"

Or like, I remember watching specific scenes with Lois and Lana talking about Morgan Edge, or with Lois and her boss Chrissy talking about Morgan Edge, and thinking, "does any of this show pass Bechdel?" Technically they were talking about a man, but... it didn't feel like they were just backup characters in a man's story, but rather, that Lois' investigation was a story of its own. Lois as a character could stand on her own. Same with Lana.

But it makes sense to me that these things were all borderline enough that they easily could have been toxic and lovely if we didn't have someone like Tucker pushing to make it better. Part of what makes this show so great is that they heavily lean into the feel-good, old timey american way stuff, but without the old-timey american racism and sexism and I don't want to see the show slip into that direction.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rhyno posted:

That was on Supergirl's Earth, they never have to acknowledge it.

This Superman is also from there originally. If they want to use any traditional Superman characters Supergirl used before the end of Crisis, they might as well. That was the point I was getting at. Just because Zod has been on Supergirl doesn't mean they can't try again.

Though tbh, I'd be ok with them not using Zod. Zod feels overused as a live action Superman villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
True but they have retconned him into Earth Prime Superman. The twins now existed years before and also they are twins not a single infant. They're also doing their best to not have him in the crappy Supergirl suit, only evil Superman has worn it.