Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The Chinese fish and chip shop in Scone does rice and chips as an official menu item, though when I called in I think they'd got boiled the chips and deep fried the rice by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

Oof, 27 covid deaths today, which is ten more than this time last week. That's nearly a 40% increase.

This seems bad?

Don't expect it to be a blip, unfortunately. Especially if last week's "Delta Plus" variant first sequenced in Nepal decides to start going YOLO.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
just checking in....

Tesseraction posted:

Don't expect it to be a blip, unfortunately. Especially if last week's "Delta Plus" variant first sequenced in Nepal decides to start going YOLO.

oh good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

I dislike being repeatedly right on this

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Perfect Element posted:

Oof, 27 covid deaths today, which is ten more than this time last week. That's nearly a 40% increase.

This seems bad?

That seems like too small of a sample size to be very useful.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

I dislike being repeatedly right on this

ah... actually i suddenly feel ok. its a blip

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Tarnop posted:

Google "bad dragon" and introduce yourself to a world of tentacles and ovipositors (extremely NSFW, obv)

bad dragon doesn't do ovipositors and is run by a design stealing terf, you want primal hardwere for those

:colbert:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tesseraction posted:

This is v unhelpful doomposting imho, cases are rising as we'd expect with things reopening but both deaths and hospital admissions are way lower than they previously were when we had these numbers. This is because 1. vaccines are working and 2. the people taking advantage of pubs being open are overwhelmingly young unvaccinated people.

There's a lot to be mad about but in terms of pure short term danger we're in a much better place than we were. A crazy mutation could bugger everything but I don't think it helps anyone to default to the worst case scenario just yet.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Tories are going to fire the nukes and no one will even care because they'll hand out some iodine to save tens of thousands of survivors and all will be forgiven.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

I do actually remember getting super excited when my mum and dad got Chinese takeaway because 'Chinese chips' as we called them were so much better than chippy chips, I guess because they may have been wok fried or something, idk, but they did have a very distinct taste that was bloody lovely

Yeah, we had a chinese open just opposite our house, first non-chippy in the town, and the chips were 'proper' chips.
Can only assume they don't fry everything in the same one vat like normal chippys do.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My local is a cash only Chinese and chip shop combo. His chips are average, but his fish... My god. Batter that you can hear across the room when you bite into it and succulent juicy fresh fish.

He always adds little extra fried fish bites to my cod and he does a fried rice that is so stuffed and compressed into the container it explodes out when you open it.

If you order the sweet and sour pork balls they're in the same batter as the fish and its just to die for.

Dammit goons its 230am and I had kfc today so I can't go for f&c for a week at least =(

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

Pound_Coin posted:

bad dragon doesn't do ovipositors and is run by a design stealing terf, you want primal hardwere for those

I didn't know that about Bad Dragon, that sucks.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

This is v unhelpful doomposting imho, cases are rising as we'd expect with things reopening but both deaths and hospital admissions are way lower than they previously were when we had these numbers. This is because 1. vaccines are working and 2. the people taking advantage of pubs being open are overwhelmingly young unvaccinated people.

Yeah, 27 today but yesterday it was 5. If you look at the long term trend for Covid deaths, it's been a flat line scraping along the bottom of the chart for a couple of months now, even as cases rise.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, 27 today but yesterday it was 5. If you look at the long term trend for Covid deaths, it's been a flat line scraping along the bottom of the chart for a couple of months now, even as cases rise.

Don't they update more on a tuesday due to weekend lag?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pound_Coin posted:

Oh I didn't know that about them. Thanks for the heads up

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Grey Hunter posted:

Don't they update more on a tuesday due to weekend lag?

Dunno but if you look at the past couple of months, most days there'll be 9-10ish deaths (on average), with the occasional blip when there's more like 20.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This page is making me sad. The foods I miss the most from the UK that I just can't find a good version of here in Canada are chips and British-Chinese food. There are Chinese restaurants here but the stuff they do is just wrong and/or bad.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I've been hunting for a Chinese that will do a tray of chips rice and gray in South Leeds and the only places that do it use bistro gravy rather than the delicious soy filled goodness you could get in Durham

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

feedmegin posted:

Back where I lived in Cambridge there was a chippy and a Chinese right next to each other

Milton Road? There's been a chippy and Chinese there for well over 40 years I think.

Covid cases have shot up in Cornwall, just in the places they've had their G7 junket, though we are assured this is pure coincidence obviously.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 23, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ThomasPaine posted:

'British food bad lol' is one of the dumbest very common takes, and I'm convinced it's entirely based on anecdotes from people who went to a chain pub in central London on their holidays and ordered some godawful plate of fish and chips or something for £14.

I am loathe to praise the UK for anything but if anyone is going to tell me that shepherd's pie, (good, non-pub) fish and chips, sunday roasts, steak and ale pie, sausage and mash etc etc etc are just by definition poo poo I'm going to call them an idiot, and that's just the stuff you can get anywhere. Our desserts are loving A across the board - yes, even spotted dick - and we have some amazing meats and a million types of great beer, and they'll kill me for saying it but I genuinely think the UK has the best cheese game in Europe, even better than France or Italy. I don't even really understand the part where they say we can't season. Sure, we don't use chillis or many spices, but there's a lot you can do with a good variety of herbs.

It's not like Finland has the best reputation either when it comes to food. Best known for 100% sourdough rye breads but other than that it's often times not positive.

We also have our own version of black sausage. Also blood bread and blood pancakes (tiny crepe looking things).

Though I watched a video on London jellied eels and that dish might explain a lot re: your reputation.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

tufton street at it again

Food here is really variable in quality, but there's some great regional variations

Fishcakes in essex tend to be these lovely little faux-burger style things, but wakefield area tends to be a big old bit of cod atop a layer of potatoes all battered up in a lump so dense you could smash a window with it and I miss the hell out of them

But aye I can easily see a tourist eating nothing but boilerplate "gastropub" poo poo hotel/'spoons/toby carvery food for the length of their stay and seeing it as indicative of a larger trend

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 23, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Since food is being talked about. Here's some examples of finnish food from my own post history.

Soup with dumplings (plainer dumplings cannot be found, just flour, milk, salt) and crisp bread:

Rye bread with smoked ham, typical finnish sandwich, not a lot on it, open topped.

Fried dark sweet bread with some fish stuff and veggies

Oven pancakes with jam and whipped cream. Jam is important, never ever syrups, jam only, finland is jam country, gotta e made from a berry or else.

Mashed potatoes and meatballs, might say that's swedish but Finland and Swedens history and culture are very intertwined.

Boiled almond potatoes, fried pork belly (uncured) with drippings as sauce

Dip the rye bread in the drippings

Grilled sausages, high flour content, typical finnish "bangers", eaten by the cartload in finland in summer. Nothing says summer like grilling sausages here.

Cabbage casserole, ground beef, eggs, shredded cabbage, salt, white pepper, into the oven. Eat with boiled potatoes and lingonberry jam.

Summer food, boiled new potatoes, sauce is butter, onions, salt and some water. Various grilled meats and veggies.

And of course, the sandwich cake (tuna, shrimp, gravlax)

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Back when I turned 16 I started working in the kitchen of the only Chinese takeaway in our village. Ended up working there for 8 years.

The way we made chips was to take Maris Piper potatoes, peel and cut into chips. Then they would all be fried in the early afternoon to about 80% cooked.

When an order came in, they would get fried the final 20% which also heated then back up. The oil we used was the same oil we fried everything in, so it had flavour infused into it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Why would a dragon dildo lay eggs, surely that would be the dragon fleshlight. You don't even jizz in a dildo.

Also I would like to eat the Finnish food. (EDIT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE START OF MY POST)

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I was on board until we got to here.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Actually still on board in a morbidly curious way. Is there anything in the "cake" other than fish? Is the "sponge" made of tuna?

The students here are being told to gently caress off home asap so they don't get stung with a self isolation notice with the rising cases & so the colleges don't have to care for them if they do. I don't know why they were back in accomodation in the first place (kids who are safer away from home excepted). Only one of my tutees stayed home after Christmas. I guess if they're paying £££s for the privilege they might as well try to have some semblance of the uni experience.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's a sandwich, hence the sponge is bread, typically a neutral white bread like toast. Man smörgåstårta is good. There's also stuff like cheese and mayo in it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Since food is being talked about. Here's some examples of finnish food from my own post history.

Soup with dumplings (plainer dumplings cannot be found, just flour, milk, salt) and crisp bread:

Rye bread with smoked ham, typical finnish sandwich, not a lot on it, open topped.

Fried dark sweet bread with some fish stuff and veggies

Oven pancakes with jam and whipped cream. Jam is important, never ever syrups, jam only, finland is jam country, gotta e made from a berry or else.

Mashed potatoes and meatballs, might say that's swedish but Finland and Swedens history and culture are very intertwined.

Boiled almond potatoes, fried pork belly (uncured) with drippings as sauce

Dip the rye bread in the drippings

Grilled sausages, high flour content, typical finnish "bangers", eaten by the cartload in finland in summer. Nothing says summer like grilling sausages here.

Cabbage casserole, ground beef, eggs, shredded cabbage, salt, white pepper, into the oven. Eat with boiled potatoes and lingonberry jam.

Summer food, boiled new potatoes, sauce is butter, onions, salt and some water. Various grilled meats and veggies.

Where are my karelian pies you bastard?

Also new taters and herring.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

There's a Chinese here that does salt and chilli chips that are amazing.

You gotta basically search high and low for British takeaways with actual flavours in and stick with them to the death once you find them

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

endlessmonotony posted:

Where are my karelian pies you bastard?

Oh I buy those from Lidl :)

Their bakery is really loving good, as are those "maalais croissants".

And yes fried herring is a favorite of people here, very traditional. But I personally cannot stand it so I've never made it myself.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 23, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's not like Finland has the best reputation either when it comes to food. Best known for 100% sourdough rye breads but other than that it's often times not positive.

We also have our own version of black sausage. Also blood bread and blood pancakes (tiny crepe looking things).

Though I watched a video on London jellied eels and that dish might explain a lot re: your reputation.

I'm not sure I've met anyone who doesn't think jellied eels are the most unpleasant sounding dish. Though maybe Twisto is a fan, what with him loving London heritage

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

That thing looks straight out of one of those nightmare 70s cookbooks, right next to the cold luncheon meats in aspic and ham wrapped bananas with hollandaise.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I looked at the Twitter amount of that one Britain on nation thing and it's really bizarre. It just looks extremely cheap and also a lot of it reads like it's been Google translated into English.

I can only assume it's some tax scam by a Tory donor or something who has paid a bot farmer to make him a charity

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Minicurve pointed out that the day they plan to do it neither Scottish or Welsh kids will be in School.

Also it has the same lyrics as the Hitler youth song.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tarnop posted:

Oh I didn't know that about them. Thanks for the heads up

There was a goon making custom artisanal silicon dongs a while back, maybe worth a look for people so inclined. Thread in SA Mart or possibly A/T

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I estimate it's 2 pages before the 1st goon posts a pic of their dildo collection, helpfully pointing out which are their favorites, and why.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Kokoro Wish posted:

That thing looks straight out of one of those nightmare 70s cookbooks, right next to the cold luncheon meats in aspic and ham wrapped bananas with hollandaise.

and yet, sandwhich cakes are very good. traditionally served in big family gatherings like graduation parties, funerals, weddings etc.

tbh i've never seen a variant with shrimp on it, the ones i've eaten usually have ham slices on top.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Minicurve pointed out that the day they plan to do it neither Scottish or Welsh kids will be in School.

Also it has the same lyrics as the Hitler youth song.

out of curiosity, which Hitler Youth song?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

A good post, however I would delete the sandwich cake tbh (never liked it) and more importantly add karjalanpiirakka (Carelian pastry or whatever it's called in English) with some egg butter, and more gravlax just straight up. Some silli (herring, in a spicy pickle/marinade/something) with the new potatoes. And rhubarb pie for dessert

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

oh btw the Tories are about to privatise Channel 4 for criticising them

of course, they'll just keep the BBC as the state broadcaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Venomous posted:

out of curiosity, which Hitler Youth song?

Yeah which Hitler youth song is about uniting all people in one great team?