Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We've opened our doors, and widened our island's shores
We celebrate our differences with love in our hearts
- Das Horst-Wessel-Lied

e: In 1978 Nicolae Ceaușescu and his wife Elena pay a state visit to the UK, he is made a Knight of the Order of the Bath.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Venomous posted:

oh btw the Tories are about to privatise Channel 4 for criticising them

of course, they'll just keep the BBC as the state broadcaster

quoting this so it isn't missed on the new page: Channel 4 is about to be privatised, and there's nothing we can do about it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"strong britain, great britain!!", i continue to sing as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Venomous posted:

quoting this so it isn't missed on the new page: Channel 4 is about to be privatised, and there's nothing we can do about it

This is the fifth review into privatising it lol. Just keep on reviewing it til they get the result they want.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"strong britain, great britain!!", i continue to sing as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYzCn_Aj4rE

30 Rock has generally not aged well (Tracy Morgan bits excepted) but there's still some good stuff in it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Channel 4 isn't privatised already?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

We've opened our doors, and widened our island's shores
- Das Horst-Wessel-Lied

Not technically Hitler Youth, that one. Maybe something more like 'Vorwärts! Vorwärts! schmettern die hellen Fanfaren'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jaete posted:

add karjalanpiirakka (Carelian pastry or whatever it's called in English)

Karelia in English. I came across these when I moved to Michigan, where in the Upper Peninsula Finnish immigrants fused them in an unholy union with Cornish immigrants to make the UP version of a Cornish pasty.

It has carrots. And you put gravy on it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

Milton Road? There's been a chippy and Chinese there for well over 40 years I think.

Milton itself, in the village. Edit: poo poo didn't mean to triple post.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

To be honest I've always been surprised that it wasn't privatised immediately, I assume that because Thatcher set it up that way all the other Tories were too terrified to touch it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's kind of incredible that it's the five-year anniversary of the EU referendum and only one newspaper mentions Brexit on its front page. Guess it went well, lads!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's kind of incredible that it's the five-year anniversary of the EU referendum and only one newspaper mentions Brexit on its front page. Guess it went well, lads!

One of those things that simultaneously feels a lot longer ago and a lot more recently than 5 years.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's kind of a weird thing where it's owned by a corporation whose only shareholder is the department of culture, and is primarily self-funded by advertising.

To be honest it's weird that it wasn't privatised a lot sooner because it was originally founded due to tbe a competitor to ITV and the BBC, but because of their dominant duopoly no private enterprise alone wanted to take the risk of founding a new TV channel. It seems like it was basically founded with the intention of privatising it once it was strong enough not to collapse.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Maybe I only feel this in solidarity with our similarly food-maligned scandi neighbours but I think that Finnish food looks pretty banging and I remember enjoying what I had in Denmark (the little I could afford at least)

Otoh I bought 'fish'n'chips' (another abbreviation I despise lol) in Canada and let's just say I won't be doing that again

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That oven pancake looks lovely, what's the recipe?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

[Chorus]
We are Britain
And we have one dream
To unite all people
In one great team
We are Britain
And we have one dream
To unite all people
In one great team

[Verse 1]
Our nation survived through many storms and many wars
We've opened our doors, and widened our island’s shores
United forеver, never apart

[Chorus]
Wе are Britain
And we have one dream
To unite all people
In one great team
We are Britain
And we have one dream
To unite all people
In one great team
[Verse 2]
So many different races, standing in the same place
So many different faces, moving at the same pace
We all stand together with pride in our hearts
United forever, never apart

[Chorus]
We are Britain
And we have one dream
To unite all people
In one great team
We are Britain
And we have one dream
To unite all people
In one great team

[Outro]
Strong Britain, Great Nation
Strong Britain, Great Na-a-tion

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
That song is fash as gently caress. I just felt the great German national shame writhe inside me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's no La Marseillaise. More like La Mouilléais.

e: Chant de guerre pour l'Armée du Oeuf Mouillé

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'd like a new anthem - I don't think singing the praises of an individual is very 'this millennium', I'd much rather have singing to an ideal like les marseillais (although that verse for the children to sing is.... creepy).

But this isn't it. It really, really isn't.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Counter the fash song and teach all the kids the red flag

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can identify one, perhaps even one and a half, values in that song.

*repeats 'stong britan good nathan' until my brain falls out*

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBi-KXc0CRk

new anthem solved

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Now there's a Eurovision entry.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I raise you:

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1407406495780818947

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Yeah now they won't take any of our fish.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Brits are awful but I'm not sure an old school brownshirt fash movement would get much traction because the ideological hegemony of neoliberalism means people just do not give a poo poo one way or another about any grand political project. I'm not sure the SS would work if it was made up of a couple of fat old alkie skinheads and a smattering of terminally online alt right edgelords. Unfortunately, much of the same is true for any genuinely transformational left wing movement. The imperial core is doomed to be the frog in the saucepan, gradually getting marginally shitter and shitter until its either too late and we all die or the cleansing wave of third world Marxists wash over us.

Though this could well be the kind of poo poo they said in Berlin in the weimar days so :shrug:. If there's one going history has taught me it's that everyone is impossible until it's not, and when things start to change they often do so very loving quickly indeed.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

It genuinely amazes me how many people are not just willing to but are proud to sing something like God save the Queen in the 21st century. It's not even like she's some strongman dictator and people can feel less afraid by convincing themselves she's strong and in charge or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm not sure the SS would work if it was made up of a couple of fat old alkie skinheads and a smattering of terminally online alt right edgelords.
Switch online for occult and it did.

You're right that Brits do seem put off by anything that looks too overtly martial like Nazi or Soviet parades except for that one three months a year, and generally the media classes have bought into 'tolerance' enough that they have to call their sparkling transphobia 'defending biological sex' and racism 'respectful discussion about cultural values', but that just means that when fascism comes to Britain, it will not be in brown and black shirts, it will not be with jack-boots, it will be calling us the intolerant ones and wrapped in an unreasonable amount of paper poppies.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

My biggest issue about this song is the poor rhyming choices they've picked. "More than just a star" rather than "More than just some stars" which is a) actually accurate and b) fits the line so much better.

And, ya know, all the rest.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
countdown clock countdown tune is the only decent option for national anthem imo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Algol Star posted:

It genuinely amazes me how many people are not just willing to but are proud to sing something like God save the Queen in the 21st century. It's not even like she's some strongman dictator and people can feel less afraid by convincing themselves she's strong and in charge or something.

I think a lot of this is because she's a doddery old woman who's been queen since her 20s through so much change. She's a comforting constant to many people. Imo a lot of what people see as royalism amongst Brits is actually just reflective of her personal popularity. I'd be very surprised if public support for the monarchy remained as high as it is once she dies and the crown goes to presumably William. I can imagine the whole thing being scrapped sooner than most people imagine, though probably not for a good few decades.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My gut tells me they jog on PDQ if Charlie gets a turn and interferes politically a bunch, they limp on for another monarch or two if he immediately abdicates and passes it to the 'younger' generation.

(The 'younger' generation is already 39)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

crispix posted:

countdown clock countdown tune is the only decent option for national anthem imo

This, but the tension round version.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

My gut tells me they jog on PDQ if Charlie gets a turn and interferes politically a bunch, they limp on for another monarch or two if he immediately abdicates and passes it to the 'younger' generation.

(The 'younger' generation is already 39)

39 is still young :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Apparently one of the most popular songs at funerals, appropriately enough for this country. As is "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life", which would be my actual choice. It's a song about chirpily ignoring how poo poo everything is, what better representation of the national character could you ask for?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

39 is still young :(

Literally grandparent age for most of human society.

e:

https://twitter.com/thatrobguy/status/1396902729042120706

You're half a decade older than Cliff Clavin, lmao.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 23, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Angrymog posted:

That oven pancake looks lovely, what's the recipe?

Thanks, this is the basic recipe I use:

quote:

4 dl wheat flour
1½ dl sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla sugar
8 dl milk
2 eggs
100 g melted butter

Mix the ingredients and pour into a greased pan and into the oven at 200c for 20-30 minutes, it might swell a lot in the oven, but it goes back down.

That time I also tossed in some granny smith apple slices in the pan. And I think I cut down on the sugar to 1dl only, perhaps even only 50ml. I also tend to skip the vanilla. I think you can also vary the eggs by a lot. Oven pancake recipes varies a lot...

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 23, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Literally grandparent age for most of human society.

e:

https://twitter.com/thatrobguy/status/1396902729042120706

You're half a decade older than Cliff Clavin, lmao.

Thankfully I have (almost) a decade to go till I'm 39 but I genuinely don't really consider even people in their 40s particularly old. Yes, it would have been in the past but this isn't 1648 and these things are relative.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I would've put almost everyone on that photo as 10 years older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Man the 70s sure was tough on people.