Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There are enough mods for Factorio now and it's strict enough about them that you would really think they'd let you create your own mod loadouts to swap between with one click at this point.

e: vv Yeah I guess that's fair.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

There are enough mods for Factorio now and it's strict enough about them that you would really think they'd let you create your own mod loadouts to swap between with one click at this point.

You start a map with the mods you want for that map and save the game. When you are selecting a save game to launch there is a box somewhere to click to 'sync mods to save game' (or something like that) and it will automatically load the mods for that save game, which allows you to easily switch between different games with the mods from that specific save loaded.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I think the idea that we should be forbidden from discussing aspects of what happened for fear of implying that someone may have misjudged something is dumb, frankly. There were a bunch of insightful responses to the post and besides you freaking out about it, it doesn't seem like anything else bad happened.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
None of the chuds writing glowing Steam reviews needed any negative reviews to actually exist in order to angrily "react" to them

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is playing Factorio despite the dev being a shitbag any different than promoting Uncle Bob's material despite Uncle Bob being a shitbag?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yes?

One is promoting views of a weird programming dude on the internet

The other is playing a game made by a team of people that doesn't espouse any views.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Reik posted:

Is playing Factorio despite the dev being a shitbag any different than promoting Uncle Bob's material despite Uncle Bob being a shitbag?
Yes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Reik posted:

I'd say so. Playing it isn't inherently promoting it, and the game is more than Kovarex's ideas.
Definitely going to be a lot less people recommending it, though. At least we have Satisfactory and DSP to fill that hole.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes?

One is promoting views of a weird programming dude on the internet

The other is playing a game made by a team of people that doesn't espouse any views.

I mean, the official Factorio twitter account is espousing the views. Anyone that still works there after that must be okay with it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The only person affected by your decision of whether to play a game you already own is yourself. If it makes you happy, there's no reason this guy being a shithead should deprive you of that. I wouldn't recommend anyone buys the game and if you want to avoid playing it because of this then by all means, but it's a personal decision and affects nothing else.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Reik posted:

I mean, the official Factorio twitter account is espousing the views. Anyone that still works there after that must be okay with it.

Is it espousing them beyond linking to the FFF blog?

Also, part of the issue some people took (that kinda caused the thing to blow up) was not qualifying the promotion of Uncle Bob with the fact they were problematic.

A lot of people are probably going to qualify playing Factorio with "one of the devs kinda sucks though."

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Is it espousing them beyond linking to the FFF blog?

Also, part of the issue some people took (that kinda caused the thing to blow up) was not qualifying the promotion of Uncle Bob with the fact they were problematic.

A lot of people are probably going to qualify playing Factorio with "one of the devs kinda sucks though."

This is what I was referring to.

https://twitter.com/factoriogame/status/1406038185424134144?s=20

That makes sense though, just make sure if you think your actions may lead someone to buy the game that you give them a heads up one of the lead developers sucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find that difficult to categorise as "oh it's just one of the developers" yes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Reik posted:

This is what I was referring to.

https://twitter.com/factoriogame/status/1406038185424134144?s=20

That makes sense though, just make sure if you think your actions may lead someone to buy the game that you give them a heads up one of the lead developers sucks.

That's pretty disappointing. Figured they'd be smarter then to do that on an official account.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Reik posted:

does posting on a forum founded by a wife beater make any difference

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
come on guys. ethical consumption, capitalism, yadayada

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Truga posted:

come on guys. ethical consumption, capitalism, yadayada
got any more nuggets of wisdom, einstein

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I doubt Wube have a dedicated social media person. Their Twitter is probably like 85% kovarex posts

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
What do you do when you lapse off the game, and come back to it, do you start a new base or re-understand what you did on your save game?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Study your old base, then make a new better one!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Make exactly the same base and lapse off the game again.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Seyser Koze posted:

Make exactly the same base and lapse off the game again.

I'm in this picture and I don't like it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I never leave a base in a way I'm interested in doing any more to it so it's a foregone conclusion it's new base time when I come back.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Groshlak posted:

What do you do when you lapse off the game, and come back to it, do you start a new base or re-understand what you did on your save game?

I almost always start a new base, which is why I never actually finish a megabase idea.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Groshlak posted:

My only successful run to the rocket so far has involved building a base, taking 3 months off, coming back to it and saying "what the gently caress" and fixing it. Otherwise it's a new save every time.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Groshlak posted:

Right now I’m taking a break from designing and planning my 2,700SPM base. I have all but smelting designed, which will be the next thing I do when I come back from this break. Then it’s laying it all out, as I will only be using trains to bring in raw materials and belts for 100% of the rest. The layout is probably going to take as much work as designing all the separate pieces has.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Groshlak posted:

In the past I would always start a new base because the game was constantly changing, but now that it's settled down I'd probably just keep playing the same base

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I know some goons play Satisfactory here. What's it like? How is it in relation to Factorio? How does it stand on its own? What does it have that Factorio doesn't?

Asking for a friend.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

I know some goons play Satisfactory here. What's it like? How is it in relation to Factorio? How does it stand on its own? What does it have that Factorio doesn't?

Asking for a friend.

In basic gameplay, Satisfactory has much more of an exploration focus than Factorio, in that exploring the world is both expected and fun in its own right. The first person 3D perspective allows for some really beautiful environments and it feels good to exist in its world. However, that same perspective can make it fiddly to build your factory buildings, and there isn't yet any kind of copy/paste or blueprint system. The devs have said they're working on new build modes for the next release but we don't know any details on what that will be or how it might help yet.

On a logistical level, Satisfactory pushes much harder against having a bus system for your factories - you can't have anywhere near as many goods on a belt at a time (the current top-tier endgame belt carries as many items as the basic transport belt in Factorio) and a given building can only ever be supplied by a single belt input. This means you're encouraged to be shipping worked goods rather than raw materials, so your logistics web will probably be more complex.
In addition to this, Satisfactory has a big concept of alternate recipes; as you explore the world you'll find hard drives that unlock alternative ways of producing more or less anything. These are usually tradeoffs, like being more resource-efficient but requiring more intermediary production (such as making screws from steel instead of iron). Once you've got a lot of them and are working on high-level products you can do a lot of configuration to design your production lines around the local resources to cut down on having to transport raw ores.

I personally am a big fan of it for all those logistics-design reasons, but there are also quite a few people frustrated with the raw building mechanics. It's still in early access, so hopefully they can still address that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm not the biggest playtime holder here (~40 in Satisfactory, ~20 in Factorio) but they're pretty different games.

You have to be OK with quite tediously building everything by hand in Satisfactory but that also contributes to its immersiveness, which is not something I'd consider interesting or important in this type of game before playing Satisfactory, but it's what made me love the game. Factorio can be much faster game that feels less tedious even with bigger builds but it doesn't really have an interesting world to explore besides that. Now, in Satisfactory the world could be a lot better so it's not a masterstroke just yet, but it's at least a direction they want to push more in the future. It could almost be a survival game except it doesn't have almost any survival stuff in it except for a few dangerous creatures here and there.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, I like Satisfactory, but the building really doesn't scale well for large bases.
In Factorio, you can probably slam down a 1 pump/20 burners/generators coal plant in a minute or two, even without robots.
In Satisfactory can easily spend half an hour for something similiar because you need to individually hook up every splitter/belt input/water input/power connection to each building with each of those steps requiring aiming and at least two clicks.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm going through my Krastorio 2 run and though I'm just entering plastics, I want to recommend this mod. It really switches up the game, and adds a bit of complexity while not adding the intense bullshit of the Bob/Angel stuff.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Krastorio 2 is probably one of the best intros to overhaul mods, it’s got just the right amount of new stuff early and mid game and then expands into completely new territory in the end game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Question for successful "Megabase" builders. Do you have a 'layout' or general design in mind when you start, or are you generally setting a more generic goal of 'X SPM' and then design on the fly for that goal for each type of science?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The Locator posted:

Question for successful "Megabase" builders. Do you have a 'layout' or general design in mind when you start, or are you generally setting a more generic goal of 'X SPM' and then design on the fly for that goal for each type of science?

I've done >1k spm and while I designed all the stations/modules on the fly, I sketched up the overall layout first - i.e., how many stations and what their inputs/outputs are, what's being train'd around vs built on-site. For example, the blue science station takes iron plates, steel, red chips, and sulfur as train inputs, and outputs blue science, meaning gears, pipes, and engines are made within that station. But exactly how that was laid out, and where, I didn't decide until I actually built it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Tamba posted:

Yeah, I like Satisfactory, but the building really doesn't scale well for large bases.
In Factorio, you can probably slam down a 1 pump/20 burners/generators coal plant in a minute or two, even without robots.
In Satisfactory can easily spend half an hour for something similiar because you need to individually hook up every splitter/belt input/water input/power connection to each building with each of those steps requiring aiming and at least two clicks.

Definitely get the Smart mod for Satisfactory. It lets you place multiple buildings at once and can even auto connect mergers/splitters to buildings.

https://ficsit.app/mod/5yGWmmB8KL2Zq8

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've done >1k spm and while I designed all the stations/modules on the fly, I sketched up the overall layout first - i.e., how many stations and what their inputs/outputs are, what's being train'd around vs built on-site. For example, the blue science station takes iron plates, steel, red chips, and sulfur as train inputs, and outputs blue science, meaning gears, pipes, and engines are made within that station. But exactly how that was laid out, and where, I didn't decide until I actually built it.
This is the part that's got me dithering on my own megabase plans. I want to build something like the Ant Farm here, but as a working factory rather than a finely-crafted system for converting resources into rocket launches. This means I'll need a hub manufacturing belts, inserters, miners, assemblers, etc. The multiple inputs would be easy enough, with either multiple stations or filter inserters for unloading a mixed-cargo car, but dealing with multiple outputs is bothering me. Either I have a lot of/very large stations for loading building trains, I split the hub up so each cell only handles and outputs 1-3 things, or I just give up and just dump that stuff into chests for me/bots to use in construction. I'm already planning to go hard on construction bots, so that last one is probably the simplest option.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

This is the part that's got me dithering on my own megabase plans. I want to build something like the Ant Farm here, but as a working factory rather than a finely-crafted system for converting resources into rocket launches. This means I'll need a hub manufacturing belts, inserters, miners, assemblers, etc. The multiple inputs would be easy enough, with either multiple stations or filter inserters for unloading a mixed-cargo car, but dealing with multiple outputs is bothering me. Either I have a lot of/very large stations for loading building trains, I split the hub up so each cell only handles and outputs 1-3 things, or I just give up and just dump that stuff into chests for me/bots to use in construction. I'm already planning to go hard on construction bots, so that last one is probably the simplest option.

I'm working on building my new hub/mall area in order to build all the stuff to make the actual science modules now, and I'm going with training in all the raw materials and smelting/refining everything needed for the hub on-site, rather than doing a big refinery area / smelting area / etc. to supply the entire base. I'm also including another module build, even though my current one is probably enough, I may change my mind on that but it's like 7-8 minutes one-way from my current stuff to the new location so I'm not sure I want to keep the current location running for modules as I would need to occasionally run back up there to re-source raw materials as patches run out.

I think the nuclear plants should be fine, as even if the current ore patch runs completely dry, I'll probably have enough fuel to run those plants for years of real time.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm having a bit of an issue with a new play through and getting a LTN provider stop to work correctly. I'm using the blueprints that were posted earlier in the thread and they work, except that the inserters won't load the train. I've got them wired together on the red wire, green wire is connecting the warehouses from K2. I can see that everything should be working, but when the train arrives from the depot it just sits there.

I've tried a couple of other provider blueprints and I get the same result so I'm almost positive that I screwed something up when I wired it for warehouses and regular fast inserters versus the stack ones that I had in the blueprint. Any place I should look to see where I messed up?

Here's a shot of the provider showing the wiring in place.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

diremonk posted:

I'm having a bit of an issue with a new play through and getting a LTN provider stop to work correctly. I'm using the blueprints that were posted earlier in the thread and they work, except that the inserters won't load the train. I've got them wired together on the red wire, green wire is connecting the warehouses from K2. I can see that everything should be working, but when the train arrives from the depot it just sits there.

I've tried a couple of other provider blueprints and I get the same result so I'm almost positive that I screwed something up when I wired it for warehouses and regular fast inserters versus the stack ones that I had in the blueprint. Any place I should look to see where I messed up?

Here's a shot of the provider showing the wiring in place.

can you show us the settings of the inserters and the signals on the wire (hover over a power pole)?