Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This could be interesting.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/mana-series-30th-anniversary-live-stream-set-for-june-27

quote:

The broadcast will feature a full walkthrough of the series’ 30-year history, from the 1991-released Final Fantasy Adventure to the June 24-due Legend of Mana remaster. New information about the future of the Mana series will also be announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sounds awesome, I wonder if they are working on a new game in the style of Trials? I’d love to see the series head in that direction.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sounds awesome, I wonder if they are working on a new game in the style of Trials? I’d love to see the series head in that direction.

I feel like it has got to be that or a Trials influenced remake of Legend. The timing is kind of similar to the Trials port release then remake announcement.

Since it is the series anniversary, I think a new game is probably a better bet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ragequit posted:

Reviews are coming in for Legend of Mana Remaster and they are looking good. Here's the first 30 min of gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEMXyUWYW8

Very excited. Love the updated graphics.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don’t know much about Legend of Mana except that I want to play it and also it’s weird. Should I try to stumble through the game once without a guide and then use a guide to get 100%? Or should I not waste my time trying to figure poo poo out on my own?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I’m a go in blind.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes do it blind. The tower is the worst. The game is very very weird though, so even with a guide you’ll be like “huh?”

I thought it was —… what the gently caress is the difference between remake, remaster, rerelease, re-whatever because I thought Legend was getting the Trials treatment.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
100% pretty much requires a guide, at least in the original, so it’s up to you whether you want to do it in one or two playthroughs (though at least there’s NG+, plus you can disable encounters in the remake, so a second playthrough should be breezy).

Going in blind will leave more of an impact, you just won’t 100% everything because where and when you place artifacts and even the order you do quests matter. Also make sure to talk to NPCs multiple times, this is definitely a game where people have a lot more to say beyond their first text box.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blind is fine. Maybe look up how to beeline some things like how to unlock monster raising or golem creation or etc, but even then you don't really need those either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Legend of Mana really depends on how much you enjoy just fuckin' around. It isn't going to tell you poo poo and what plot it has is mostly perfunctory.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i think what really makes it is that there is a lot of plot going on around you and you just kinda float in and out of people's lives

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I thought this was cool.

https://twitter.com/brownie_ndaccha/status/1407495144438337539

Background artist on original Trials of Mana sharing that Koichi Isshi told him to use this Wizard of Oz picture by Greg Hildebrant as the art guideline for the game.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 23, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Kinda jarring with mixing the pixel art and well crafting backgrounds. I loved the art in the original, but pixels on a 65" TV with painting background may not look so hot. Is this really a remaster or a port?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Kinda jarring with mixing the pixel art and well crafting backgrounds. I loved the art in the original, but pixels on a 65" TV with painting background may not look so hot. Is this really a remaster or a port?

It is definitely a remaster, but yeah all the sprites are the original pixelart.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Play blind your first time imo. You'll get bogged down trying to get everything perfect on your first game, and there are multiple storylines that kinda necessitate several playthrough anyway.

I have the strategy guide if anyone wants to borrow it :)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I've been playing through it on a ps1 with an upscaler and the sprites look great there on a large tv. I think this version will help with things like fonts and really let you get the details from the painted backgrounds.

though the chances of playing this on a large screen are small since it'll probably just be couch and switch :thunk:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alright, I’m definitely going to go in blind. I’ll gently caress around in my first run and find out in NG+.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm far from the most knowledgeable about Legend of Mana in this thread, but I seem to remember that there's really only 3 or 4 location placements that you NEED to be careful about in order to access all of the quests? If memory serves and that is indeed the case then I'd definitely recommend looking up those few caveats and making sure you follow them in your first playthrough. Otherwise you're doing a whole second playthrough just to access a handful of locations/quests.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

timp posted:

I'm far from the most knowledgeable about Legend of Mana in this thread, but I seem to remember that there's really only 3 or 4 location placements that you NEED to be careful about in order to access all of the quests? If memory serves and that is indeed the case then I'd definitely recommend looking up those few caveats and making sure you follow them in your first playthrough. Otherwise you're doing a whole second playthrough just to access a handful of locations/quests.

I have no idea how Legend of Mana plays other than you put locations down like in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, maybe it'd be helpful if someone knowledgeable just typed up where those places should go and spoilered it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Use this placement guide if you want full access to everything on your first playthrough:

https://legendofmana.info/walkthrough/maps/

There are no spoilers there other than what the tiles/artifacts are called, where/when to place them, and a general idea of what you gain by doing so (this part is not overly specific)

vkeios
May 7, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I have no idea how Legend of Mana plays other than you put locations down like in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, maybe it'd be helpful if someone knowledgeable just typed up where those places should go and spoilered it

From memory and making it as vague as possible:
the first town and the desert, make sure there’s a free space next to them to put the very last land you get. Otherwise you miss out on exactly two side quests.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you nab that ocean area on the top left, don’t you run out of places to drop artifacts after like 3?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

jokes posted:

If you nab that ocean area on the top left, don’t you run out of places to drop artifacts after like 3?

The game locks you out of choosing areas that won't let you complete the map.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Use this placement guide if you want full access to everything on your first playthrough:

https://legendofmana.info/walkthrough/maps/

There are no spoilers there other than what the tiles/artifacts are called, where/when to place them, and a general idea of what you gain by doing so (this part is not overly specific)

Yes, thank you! I remember placing artifacts arbitrarily as a kid and getting a little salty when I got to the end of the game, looked at a GameFAQs guide, and realized that I'd have to start a new file to access a few quests. For Blackbelt Bobman and others going in I would strongly suggest using the guide linked above. It changes almost nothing about your overall experience to get that heads up.

I guess if you were adamant about remaining unspoiled on location names or the total number of locations you might want to avoid it, but as someone who abhors spoilers of all kinds that seems a bit beyond the pale, even for me.

fake edit: fuuuck I wasn't planning on picking this game up but the more I think on it and remember about it...?!? :ohdear:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That page says that it requires you to place the areas in those spaces in that order AND closely follow a linked guide. I assume based on reading reviews and stuff that’s because you have to talk to NPC’s a bunch of times and visit areas on different days of the week or during the day/night? Seems like you might still miss stuff even placing the areas correctly. I’d rather just gently caress around the first time and be glued to a guide on a second run.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There's also a lot of quests you can miss not simply by not placing artifacts correctly, but by not doing quests in the correct order so

Yeah a walkthrough is basically mandatory for 100%.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That page says that it requires you to place the areas in those spaces in that order AND closely follow a linked guide. I assume based on reading reviews and stuff that’s because you have to talk to NPC’s a bunch of times and visit areas on different days of the week or during the day/night? Seems like you might still miss stuff even placing the areas correctly. I’d rather just gently caress around the first time and be glued to a guide on a second run.

Your read is correct, so yeah I encourage you to just freeform it the first time. Even correct artifact placement won't net you 100% alone.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

There's also a lot of quests you can miss not simply by not placing artifacts correctly, but by not doing quests in the correct order so

Yeah a walkthrough is basically mandatory for 100%.

Your read is correct, so yeah I encourage you to just freeform it the first time. Even correct artifact placement won't net you 100% alone.

Oh, my bad...I didn't remember any miss-able quest requirements other than the artifact placements. Maybe I just got lucky with them as a kid so they didn't stick with me

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

timp posted:

Oh, my bad...I didn't remember any miss-able quest requirements other than the artifact placements. Maybe I just got lucky with them as a kid so they didn't stick with me

You probably just forgot. You have to do some very unintuitive and circuitous back and forthing, frequently ignoring placing artifacts for arbitrary quantities of time, to actually catch 'em all because if you do X quest too soon, Y quest doesn't appear at all.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
I got an expert game going on Trials with a party of Kevin, Angela, and Hawkeye. Am I correct in thinking that Kevin is the only one that can get a healing spell?

Also any suggestions on class changes? The golem boss fight on the bridge was a pain and I only beat it by overleveling it so my characters could take more then two hits before dying. I'm currently at the boss after the windstone and ready for my first class change.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you want Kevin to heal, you have to go the light route. I don’t think he ever gets Healing Light+ so it will only be single target. You can always use Poto Oils as a substitute. His attack is significantly higher on the dark route and he gets Moon Energy to buff his crit rate. Angela is good no matter what (although going light gets Lucent Beam+, arguably the best spell in the game) but Hawkeye is gonna vary. Going dark will make him overlap with Angela as an offensive caster but with the addition of debuffs. Going light will give him all kinds of wacky utility spells. Honestly with Kevin smashing faces and the other two pumping out offensive spells you shouldn’t have many issues.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Warrior Monk gets multiheal

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Vord posted:

I got an expert game going on Trials with a party of Kevin, Angela, and Hawkeye. Am I correct in thinking that Kevin is the only one that can get a healing spell?

Also any suggestions on class changes? The golem boss fight on the bridge was a pain and I only beat it by overleveling it so my characters could take more then two hits before dying. I'm currently at the boss after the windstone and ready for my first class change.

Expert mode gives enemies an extremely large boost in magical defense, majorly nerfing Angela's damage. That's why, in expert, Hawkeye is considered the best offensive caster if you go Light > Dark with him and use Hawkeye's clear save ability to boost your luck, since the Rogue's traps and projectiles are luck-based and are factored against physical rather than magical defense.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gandlethorpe posted:

Guild Wars 1 WAMO is eternal

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

jokes posted:

Guild Wars 1 WAMO is eternal

It's got nothing on Hamstorm

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

gandlethorpe posted:

Erpy posted:

Expert mode gives enemies an extremely large boost in magical defense, majorly nerfing Angela's damage. That's why, in expert, Hawkeye is considered the best offensive caster if you go Light > Dark with him and use Hawkeye's clear save ability to boost your luck, since the Rogue's traps and projectiles are luck-based and are factored against physical rather than magical defense.

Oh this is all good stuff I didn’t know. I’ll have to keep that magic defense thing in mind for my next playthrough since I am gonna use Angela and Hawkeye I think.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Angela is still good, just not as “melt everything” as she is in the normal game.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Legend remaster is only digital for US, right?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you know, for whatever reason i had assumed it wasn't for some reason, but i guess it is.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I made a Legend of Mana Remaster specific thread to hopefully draw in new players to this fantastic game!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971518

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
On more Trials based questions, are Riesz's summons supposed to be completely useless or is that a bug? I tried using Seraph when I went Starlancer with her and about 75% of the time it did no damage. And I don't mean "It did damage but it was very small numbers," I mean there were no damage numbers because it did absolutely no damage at all. Even when it did do damage numbers they were pitifully small, like 25 HP damage per hit, and it never hit more than four or five times, which means that it was completely useless compared to just smacking them with her spear.