Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If anyone has an extra fiver a month knocking around that they may have been using for membership of some kind of group etc. Liberty are doing a very good thing in the Court of Appeal hearing over access to healthcare for trans children, Endocrine Society is on board too.

keep punching joe posted:

Man the 70s sure was tough on people.
Not as rough as '79

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

thespaceinvader posted:

My gut tells me they jog on PDQ if Charlie gets a turn and interferes politically a bunch, they limp on for another monarch or two if he immediately abdicates and passes it to the 'younger' generation.

(The 'younger' generation is already 39)

I've said this before but the best thing the monarchy could do is get Charles to gently caress off and pass it straight to William. William is relatively young and fairly popular, nice happy good-looking (for monarchs) family that are very photogenic, plus he's involved in football so that's always a plus. The older generation are already in thanks to the Queen hanging around for so long, it's the younguns who they need to get onboard. Having William grow old with them will indoctrinate another generation or two.

Charles seems fairly insistent on taking the crown though so you can imagine he'll stick around for 20 years or so, by which time William will be pushing 60.

Hopefully that'll convince the public to gently caress them off forever.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Thankfully I have (almost) a decade to go till I'm 39 but I genuinely don't really consider even people in their 40s particularly old. Yes, it would have been in the past but this isn't 1648 and these things are relative.

I'm 45 and I'm here to tell you it's old as hell. I was recently crippled by a poorly-worn sock.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

EvilHawk posted:

I've said this before but the best thing the monarchy could do is get Charles to gently caress off and pass it straight to William. William is relatively young and fairly popular, nice happy good-looking (for monarchs) family that are very photogenic, plus he's involved in football so that's always a plus. The older generation are already in thanks to the Queen hanging around for so long, it's the younguns who they need to get onboard. Having William grow old with them will indoctrinate another generation or two.

Charles seems fairly insistent on taking the crown though so you can imagine he'll stick around for 20 years or so, by which time William will be pushing 60.

the actual best thing they could do is give it straight to Harry and cause such a massive blast of boiled piss from the Mail et all that their offices are destroyed forever

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

EvilHawk posted:

The Crusader Kings move would be for Liz to push Charlie off a balcony when she thinks she's nearing the end.

Either that or blow him up with an enormous pile of manure.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm 45 and I'm here to tell you it's old as hell. I was recently crippled by a poorly-worn sock.

I’m forty and discovered just this morning that I can’t put my socks on if I’ve already put my jeans on. Old as balls.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Man the 70s sure was tough on people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qinFmrgOZw

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Smoking is clearly a huge factor in how old people look, 30yo smokers typically look older than 40yo non smokers in my subjective experience. Decades ago even non smokers would've been passively smoking pretty much everywhere they went too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

I’m forty and discovered just this morning that I can’t put my socks on if I’ve already put my jeans on. Old as balls.

That's pretty much what happened to me - I was in a hurry to get out of the house so didn't take the extra few seconds to properly pull up my socks because that requires sitting down nowadays. They bunched up enough to cut off a bit of blood flow, meaning i burst a bunch of blood vessels in the skin turning my normally pristine upper shins into a weird red blotchy mess that looked like it should have been on Question Time shouting about demographic warfare.

(I mean I wasn't actually crippled but it was pretty uncomfortable so I spent the next day with my feet above my heart and cold compresses on it to fix it, and I think anything that stops you from going on the nice long walk you had planned sort of counts)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
people back them days had it rough. there is a family picture my mum has of her dad and some school chums of his. they were all 10 or 11 odd but looked like wee old men, some of them had receeding hairlines and everything

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Like seriously, I smoked like a chimney for my entire 20s and i stil look a good decade younger than the Cheers cast despite being older.

What the gently caress happened to people.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the school teacher looked to be about 60 odd but was probably in her 20s

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Like seriously, I smoked like a chimney for my entire 20s and i stil look a good decade younger than the Cheers cast despite being older.

I reckon people are probably doing a lot more skin care these days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's pretty much what happened to me - I was in a hurry to get out of the house so didn't take the extra few seconds to properly pull up my socks because that requires sitting down nowadays. They bunched up enough to cut off a bit of blood flow, meaning i burst a bunch of blood vessels in the skin turning my normally pristine upper shins into a weird red blotchy mess that looked like it should have been on Question Time shouting about demographic warfare.

Get diabetic socks. They're specifically designed to stop this happening. They have no seam at the toe, and the cuff is made to prevent digging in and maintain blood flow.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

People rarely wore sunscreen before the 90s. We used to have factor 2 'bronzing oil' for when you really wanted to be wrinkly by 25.

Edit: I look a good decade younger than I am, which I put down to being a pasty nerd who spent my summers hunched over a computer indoors with the curtains drawn. Look who's laughing now. Oh it's still you, never mind.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 23, 2021

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Clive Dunn (Corporal Jones on Dad's Army) was 48 when he started playing the role.

Stephen Lewis (Blakey in On the Buses) was 42 when he started.

I'm (un)comfortably past those two. :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

people back them days had it rough. there is a family picture my mum has of her dad and some school chums of his. they were all 10 or 11 odd but looked like wee old men, some of them had receeding hairlines and everything

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Recently a 26-year-old or so coworker told me she assumed I was the same age as her. I'm 38. Turns out spending a deeply unhealthy amount of my life indoors has some side benefits.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

If you want a personal version of this, look up your old teachers. An old primary school teacher of mine lives in the village, and she's 59 - she was in her 20s when she taught me. My mum dug out an old school photo and she looks about 60. She genuinely looks younger now at first glance than she did in 1986. And Terry Foster, you remember, fat old Mr Foster who taught maths? He's 53! He dressed like an old man!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

This is my dad and his school class at age 6. Couple of the lads on the front row have already got mortgages, and the girl third from the right on the third row is running a successful little cafe just off Wapping Lane.

(The background gives a bit of an indicator of *why* they might look quite so old and also so happy - they're in Wapping in 1944 and a V2 has just obliterated their school)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Get diabetic socks. They're specifically designed to stop this happening. They have no seam at the toe, and the cuff is made to prevent digging in and maintain blood flow.

Or I could literally just pull my socks up, lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Or I could literally just pull my socks up, lol

On your own head be it. I personally don't mind not having indentations in my calves from sock elastic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sanford posted:

I'm choosing to believe that this is because you have inappropriately tight skinny jeans, and that I shall be as young and beautiful as I am forever.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Y'all babies. Twisto I'm old enough to be your mother (as in no hanky panky until 16), and Thomas P I'm old enough to be your granny.

I think I'm the oldest regular poster in this thread.

:corsair:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Couldn’t hear that horrible anthem thing without think of this. Shoutout to the guy who steals the chips then looks like he has some sort of furious episode

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dk5uwz2FBoA

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Venomous posted:

out of curiosity, which Hitler Youth song?

The tune is this one https://soundcloud.com/edward-colland/vorwarts-vorwarts-hitler-youth with the lyrics from another.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

On your own head be it. I personally don't mind not having indentations in my calves from sock elastic.

I don't get that if I pull them up properly (or just leave them round the ankles like the devil-may-care flair player I am in my heart), it's only if I leave them rolled over that I have issues.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Algol Star posted:

It genuinely amazes me how many people are not just willing to but are proud to sing something like God save the Queen in the 21st century. It's not even like she's some strongman dictator and people can feel less afraid by convincing themselves she's strong and in charge or something.

As a kid I always thought of it as us all helping an old woman stay alive by prayer so sorta the opposite of a strongman dictator

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Does anyone else have that one school friend on facebook who is only there so you can point them out and say "their the same age as me" and make yourself feel better?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm 31 and still semi regularly get id'd in the supermarket so I must be able to pass for mid 20s at least, which is nice.

Yesterday the checkout lady started to ask then looked at my face again and said oh never mind which was less nice.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Y'all babies. Twisto I'm old enough to be your mother (as in no hanky panky until 16), and Thomas P I'm old enough to be your granny.

I think I'm the oldest regular poster in this thread.

:corsair:

It's actually really cool that we have quite a diverse range of posters itt :)

Though I imagine probably no gen z'rs, dead gay comedy forums don't seem their style

Sanford posted:

If you want a personal version of this, look up your old teachers. An old primary school teacher of mine lives in the village, and she's 59 - she was in her 20s when she taught me. My mum dug out an old school photo and she looks about 60. She genuinely looks younger now at first glance than she did in 1986. And Terry Foster, you remember, fat old Mr Foster who taught maths? He's 53! He dressed like an old man!

My partner assumed one of her old primary school teachers was long dead because he'd been an ancient old bloke when she was there 25 odd years ago, then saw him the other week, still ancient but not looking a day older.

People back then seemed to age prematurely but then go into some kind of stasis and look identical till they dropped dead

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 23, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All I'm hearing from that is that the Nazis wrote even more weak rear end and anemic marches than the modern Brits.

Inspired by Wagner my rear end. I bet Carl Teike is glad he died before all that started.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I remember as a kid being told by my mum to not sing God Save the Queen, because "She wouldn't save you!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Britain in the comments section is far cooler than the one I have to live in.

Can't wait for Karl Marx to expropriate some holiday homes for rubber boat people escaping conflict :getin:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I’m going to venture that part of the reason people looked older decades ago is because their clothes/hair/makeup were of the style of the time which is now ‘old people style’

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I always liked that eddie izzard bit about how shes fine actually we should sing about her being attacked instead.

God attack the queen
Send big dogs after her
that bite her bum

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like that song about getting drunk and loving that the US stole for their anthem.

Since the original de facto US anthem My Country 'Tis Of Thee used the same tune as God Save The Queen, it'd only be fitting to adopt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydAIdVKv84g

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The guy who played Cliff used to be a labourer I think, also this was Los Angeles in the early 80s when wearing sunscreen was sus so by their mid 30s, most of them had suffered more UV damage than the average person is exposed to in their entire life.

For some reason I thought the guy who played Cliff was a firefighter, but not according to Wikipedia, so I have no idea where I picked that up from.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

His Divine Shadow posted:

Thanks, this is the basic recipe I use:

Mix the ingredients and pour into a greased pan and into the oven at 200c for 20-30 minutes, it might swell a lot in the oven, but it goes back down.

That time I also tossed in some granny smith apple slices in the pan. And I think I cut down on the sugar to 1dl only, perhaps even only 50ml. I also tend to skip the vanilla. I think you can also vary the eggs by a lot. Oven pancake recipes varies a lot...

What's a dl, and is that fan assisted or not for the temp?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A decilitre, 100ml.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Isn’t an oven pancake just a cake?