Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dawgstar posted:

"Why do you want <inferior thing> because we have <superior thing> at home."

I hope you didn’t hurt yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats not how the "we have x at home" meme works

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you don't need memes that harken back to commonly shared experiences. we have memes that don't have any reason to be set up that way at home

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

loving lol

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Is Stranglemania the best (funniest) JCW show freely available online? I've seen the first 20 minutes and it's hilarious. I'm getting together with some casual wrestling fan friends and that show is currently my top pick to watch, are there any other strong contestants I should consider?

Also, good JCW drinking game rules??? :cheersbird:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yes it was a problem, for me at least. It's great if it's not for you.
Maybe I should not have specified that Barnett is "ancient" for humor's sake.
What I was more getting at is the fact that there was an angle at all and I hated how it distracted from the match and I just couldn't see it going anywhere I would have liked. I wasn't thrilled with the idea to try to build something in a way like this. It seemed very American wrestling to me (which is not necessarily true, but that was my take at the time) which was exactly what I was trying tet away from. So no, it wasn't because Barnett can't go but I'll still reserve the right to call anyone ancient as long as they are older than me.

Oh, I wouldn't have been thrilled for some of the same reasons you just outlined, but 'Barnett is too old to work a program with one of the best workers in the biz' just seemed a very odd line of reasoning when there were a bunch of other problems and Barnett's been working regularly the last few years with some well-respected wrestlers like Mox.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has there ever been a time where a wrestler had a serious but not match-ending injury that the announcers fully acknowledge while the match went to the planned finish? Mankind/Undertaker HiaC doesn't count because that was mostly on purpose; I've heard a lot about HHH finishing a match with a torn quad but I don't know if the announcers said anything or even noticed.

Kind of an obtuse question but it came to me in a haze.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Some things that come to mind
- Matt Hardy (I think) concussed himself real badly during an aew show and they continued the match
- Sexxxy Eddy was rushed to the hospital after his match at ToD 3 after he knicked an artery and was gushing blood

My first thought was the Ganso bomb happening because Kawada broke his arm on Misawas face and continued the match, although no idea if the commentators mentioned it

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

From information that has been released, Hardy was not concussed (had MRI and CT scans later and was apparently okay) although the match should have absolutely been stopped.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What did the announce team do when Nash tore his quad on RAW?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

From information that has been released, Hardy was not concussed (had MRI and CT scans later and was apparently okay) although the match should have absolutely been stopped.

Yeah, even leaving aside the bad vibes not knowing whethe Matt was OK or not, just going straight to the finish made it a dogshit match in general.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, I wouldn't have been thrilled for some of the same reasons you just outlined, but 'Barnett is too old to work a program with one of the best workers in the biz' just seemed a very odd line of reasoning when there were a bunch of other problems and Barnett's been working regularly the last few years with some well-respected wrestlers like Mox.

Barnett is a guy from the Inokiism era, even if he is not actually a thousand years old, he feels like a relic from a lost time because he is a relic from a lost time. Also this was literally from before Bartlett was left to get his credit back by running the bloodsport shows.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What did the announce team do when Nash tore his quad on RAW?
it was in like an 8-man tag match so relatively easy to cover up for, I just saw a vid where JR mumbles something about a leg and they mostly gloss over it and move on IIRC

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I also want to add that the whole debacle would have been prevented if NJPW had either a) done something to secure the ringside barricades better or b) called an audible and told everyone no Irish whips into the barricade.

From the first match on it was apparent that the Cow Palace barricades were not secured like the ones NJPW regularly used. They were shifting all over the place when people went into them. I was about 10 rows back and it was readily apparent

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Has anyone else used the Coffin Drop?

I really enjoy Darby yeeting himself at people.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has there ever been a time where a wrestler had a serious but not match-ending injury that the announcers fully acknowledge while the match went to the planned finish? Mankind/Undertaker HiaC doesn't count because that was mostly on purpose; I've heard a lot about HHH finishing a match with a torn quad but I don't know if the announcers said anything or even noticed.

The HHH/Austin vs. Jericho/Benoit match? Nope; it's really obvious what happened when you watch a video, but it wasn't obvious in the arena at the time and neither JR or Heyman said a word about the injury. It's kind of awful watching HHH climb up onto the announcer table for a pedigree and when Jericho reverses it into the Walls, whew.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Thanlis posted:

It's kind of awful watching HHH climb up onto the announcer table for a pedigree and when Jericho reverses it into the Walls, whew.
Counterpoint: it's HHH

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jericho said HHH audible'd the Walls

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
HHH did this twice: he injured himself during a tag with HBK against Edge and Orton.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Maybe the Lesnar/Holly match where Lesnar broke Hollys neck? Or the Angle/Holly match where Angle broke Hollys arm? Or the match where Balor become universal champion?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
There's been plenty of cases where a heel turn has really allowed a wrestler find their stride and become significantly better and more popular.

What notable examples are there of face turn doing the same? I'm thinking specifically of a wrestler who was struggling as a heel, not someone already popular becoming even more so now that the fans are encouraged to like them.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bret Hart certainly wasn’t struggling as a heel in his early days at WWF, but he didn’t become a big deal until he turned face

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kzy was a middling heel loss post until his turn, where he started getting over as the scrappy underdog with flash pins and now is a credible main eventer

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think Taichi slowly becoming face during the 2019 G1 (to the point where the crowd was entirely behind him during his last G1 match against Ishii) was what made me become a fan. He used to be such a little poo poo, now he's an incredibly fiery babyface who covers it up by acting like a little poo poo

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Too Cool becoming dancing faces instead of jobber heels did a lot for their popularity.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Would Batista count? IIRC He was basically a standard big muscle bodyguard without personality until he turned against HHH.

Not really struggling, but guys in that kind of role tend to disappear after 6-12 months and at least to me it felt like he jumped from meh to Top Star in a couple of weeks.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 24, 2021

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Toru Yano turned face and it turned out he was a comedy genius

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kennel posted:

Would Batista count? IIRC He was basically a standard big muscle bodyguard without personality until he turned against HHH.

Not really struggling, but guys in that kind of role tend to disappear after 6-12 months and at least to me it felt like he jumped from meh to Top Star in a couple of weeks.

A lot of that was because they were pushing for the very green and very unlikeable Randy Orton to be the foil to Triple H out of the Evolution split and Batista was just in the background being effortlessly cool while Orton was being a tryhard dork week after week. The fans latched on to him in desperation to avoid face Orton vs HHH at Wrestlemania and we wound up with the Batista instant mega-push because they actually listened to the fans and didn't try to punish him for getting over. What a thought.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Suleman posted:

What notable examples are there of face turn doing the same? I'm thinking specifically of a wrestler who was struggling as a heel, not someone already popular becoming even more so now that the fans are encouraged to like them.

Diamond Dallas Page, random midcard heel for years in WCW, turns face against the nWo and is suddenly extremely over

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Saul Goode posted:

A lot of that was because they were pushing for the very green and very unlikeable Randy Orton to be the foil to Triple H out of the Evolution split and Batista was just in the background being effortlessly cool while Orton was being a tryhard dork week after week. The fans latched on to him in desperation to avoid face Orton vs HHH at Wrestlemania and we wound up with the Batista instant mega-push because they actually listened to the fans and didn't try to punish him for getting over. What a thought.
I feel like they stopped listening to the fans once the Network started, which was long after Batista's initial push in the mid-aughts

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Majinfoose posted:

Has anyone else used the Coffin Drop?

I really enjoy Darby yeeting himself at people.

Shotzi Blackheart does it sometimes but she's even less safe than Darby.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I feel like they stopped listening to the fans once the Network started, which was long after Batista's initial push in the mid-aughts

That makes sense. There's no reason to listen to the fans if you no longer have to sell each individual PPV.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suleman posted:

Steve Austin sort of counts, in that the Stone Cold gimmick that eventually turned him face was a huge improvement from his terrible heel Ringmaster gimmick.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Suleman posted:

There's been plenty of cases where a heel turn has really allowed a wrestler find their stride and become significantly better and more popular.

I feel like Razor Ramon is borderline. When they initially brought him in, he got a pretty big heel push. He was thrown into the Flair/Warrior/Savage angle and got a PPV title match. Then he just floundered for six months where the only thing of note for him was a meaningless 3-minute win over Bob Backlund at WrestleMania. Then he had that huge upset loss to the 1-2-3 Kid. In the follow-up, he was treated as a laughing stock (while still not jobbing him out, at least) and it was Money Inc antagonizing him that springboarded him into being a popular face.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
The circumstances are obviously different, but struggling environmentalist heel CJ Parker transforming into mega-face Juice Robinson might count.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Edge and Christian were pretty boring as Brood/Ministry minions until they ditched Gangrel and did their thing with the Hardys and Dudleys.

But then they went heel again with the 5-second pose thing and got even more popular.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sting was pretty much just the muscle for Eddie Gilbert until he turned face and was booked in squash matches that really got him over

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Suleman posted:

Gavok posted:

I feel like Razor Ramon is borderline. When they initially brought him in, he got a pretty big heel push. He was thrown into the Flair/Warrior/Savage angle and got a PPV title match. Then he just floundered for six months where the only thing of note for him was a meaningless 3-minute win over Bob Backlund at WrestleMania. Then he had that huge upset loss to the 1-2-3 Kid. In the follow-up, he was treated as a laughing stock (while still not jobbing him out, at least) and it was Money Inc antagonizing him that springboarded him into being a popular face.

Razor is a great example; looking back, I'm not sure exactly, why, he of all people was paired up with Flair at Survivor Series, or why they thought he might draw as a villain against Bret at the Royal Rumble. Gimmick wise, he was still at the level of cartoony/gimmicky villain - he was a caricature. Imagine pushing Big Bully Busick, Professor Dean Douglas, or Country Star Double J Jeff Jarrett seriously.

Oh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Price Check posted:

The circumstances are obviously different, but struggling environmentalist heel CJ Parker transforming into mega-face Juice Robinson might count.

That was using the old-school trick of changing territories, he was CJ Parker and basically that character until he left the ‘E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hulk Hogan's early heel stuff was only okay at not really top level but the face turn sure solved that