Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

That the two kids on the right are holding their posteriors should also let you know where they got shot.

in an orchard owned by an angry farmer

Also it’s “born thirty years too soon” because shooting kids with rock salt for stealing apples wouldn’t have been as acceptable in the ‘30s, though I’ve seen reference to it as a threat well beyond that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
'Operation' was what truly bungled me, I kept thinking "what the gently caress they ate rock salt they found at an orchard and need an operation??"

Anyway, comics!!

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: McGuyver nods in approval, or Back in the day when you couldn't go to the local gym for rock-climbing, you had this, or Blueberry lays out the plan

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

:effort:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"You're right. First, I'll have to...kill Sarah Morgan."

I'm taking a minute to appreciate that as obnoxious long-winded as Rex Morgan has been in getting to this predictable plot hook we are at least now at the plot hook. Which is more than I can say for Intelligent Life, which somehow still hasn't even managed to get to the actual premise of its current alleged storyline.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: betrayal (January 28 - February 3, 2002)

So basically:

1. Bentley sells herbivores maps to a secret route through which they can escape predators;
2. Bentley is hired by Herd Thinners (and Kell);
3. Bentley sells the herbivores out immediately.

Morality? What's that?

Modern Kevin & Kell

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CommonShore posted:

Cassette decks were commonplace, but again not universal. It was possible to buy a vehicle with only radio up until at least 2006. To have a car in 1989 without is less "I'm a luddite" and more "I bought a used car" or, if buying new, "I'll just take the base model thank you."

e. I guess a close equivalent to driving a car in 1989 without a tape deck is someone today who has a flip phone because it works and they don't give a poo poo because they don't use any of the other features anyway.

My family drove from Perth to Sydney and back in the mid 90s and specifically had to change out the head unit of the van to get something with a casette deck, since the standard model was AM/FM only.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/22/01

Brenda Starr 9/22/46

(sorry for the small size, Imgur is being bad again. Click for bigger.)

Smokey Stover 11/6/41

"Painting the throat" involved swabbing the tonsils or throat lining with iodine or, more alarmingly, various mercury-containing antibacterial medicines.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Deathless Deer 7/19-21/43

And so...

The above notice appeared in the July 20 New York Daily News. And if you were a New Yorker, that was the last you saw of Deathless Deer.

Time magazine snidely noted that at the same time the NYDN was claiming paper limitations were forcing them to drop Deer, they also added three more pages of classified ads. Journalists at the paper had been taking bets on how much longer Joseph Patterson was going to put up with his daughter's vanity project. The Time writer also described Deathless Deer as "perhaps the most ineptly drawn of all comic strips," which seems a little unfair, but then they never met James Allen.

Still, Deer limped on in a handful of papers. We continue courtesy of the Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph:

This is like the lowest-stakes mystery ever. The lead actress hasn't been murdered, hasn't even been seriously injured -- a couple of Band-Aids and she's fine.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 23, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website
My Author Unknown? Guide Password is TheOther

Notice Brian's eyes in the second panel there. He might have reverted into beast-man mode if Billie wasn't there.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Imgur is just loving up non-stop for me this morning. I'm getting this situation in which the image I try to upload flashes on the screen for a moment, then disappears and is replaced with that "yikes, it appears this upload failed" message. Multiple browsers, with and without browser add-ons enabled. Sometimes this resolves itself, but I've been trying off and on for a couple of hours now. Any advice?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Imgur is just loving up non-stop for me this morning. I'm getting this situation in which the image I try to upload flashes on the screen for a moment, then disappears and is replaced with that "yikes, it appears this upload failed" message. Multiple browsers, with and without browser add-ons enabled. Sometimes this resolves itself, but I've been trying off and on for a couple of hours now. Any advice?

Same thing has happened to me various times, including today. I suggest waiting a few hours and trying again. :shrug:

For how big the site is, it's surprising to me how often Imgur seems to have problems like this.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mikl posted:

So basically:

1. Bentley sells herbivores maps to a secret route through which they can escape predators;
2. Bentley is hired by Herd Thinners (and Kell);
3. Bentley sells the herbivores out immediately.

Morality? What's that?

At least in Bentley's case he's not really portrayed as being anything but an amoral grifter, as opposed to the rest of the family who are supposed to be good compassionate people by the setting's standards and are totally on board with the same plan.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mary Worth :nws:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "96 - Jucika And The Nativity"

"Juicka And The Parrot"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Comic Strips 2021

Core Workout

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (October 9, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 9, 1999)

Garfield Classic (October 9, 1989)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori

There was also this a few days ago.

"Marshall aid" is the term used in Finland for aid received under the Marshall plan.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

~Coxy posted:

Comic Strips 2021
:imunfunny:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Woof, busy times, and I've got quite the backlog. Here's some Ballard Street for y'all.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Is the joke that they basically just use gravity to shoot darts? Or is it just wonky art? Only Holbrook knows.

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (April 16, 1994)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Professor Wayne posted:

Is the joke that they basically just use gravity to shoot darts? Or is it just wonky art? Only Holbrook knows.

It's a dart launcher disguised at a tree branch/trunk. It is point up in the first panel, and then drops down in order to shoot the dart.

I mean, it IS wonky art, since that tube is big enough for a small cannonball. but eh

Edit: Oh, yeah I can see how you'd say the gravity part. I would be generous to holbrook and say that is just the action lines of the fake tree part dropping down into place.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 23, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Also the whole thing about them waiting for it to be in range, and the range being about a foot and a half.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Rane not only didn't read the small print, but skipped the big print as well! That's not how you do business!! >:(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Raune isn't very good at this.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 12-14, 1936)

I choose to believe that sign on the office door says Dr. Butts

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (April 16, 1994)

Way to go, Pekka. :unsmith:

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 23, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set just wants to make you you know he's doing it.

Working Daze is done with that I guess.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix just makes me sad about what happened with Gabby.

Cul De Sac brings me back.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (April 16, 1994)

If they did this half on purpose, that's really good. If they arranged the whole thing somehow, that's incredible.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 18, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Nov. 18, 1945)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Selachian posted:

And so...

The above notice appeared in the July 20 New York Daily News. And if you were a New Yorker, that was the last you saw of Deathless Deer.

Time magazine snidely noted that at the same time the NYDN was claiming paper limitations were forcing them to drop Deer, they also added three more pages of classified ads.

The Time article deserves posting in full because, oof, the writer really did not like Deathless Deer

Time posted:

Who stabbed Baba Waring, leading lady of Folliana, when the lights went out? Most New York Daily News readers probably don't care. Those who do will never know, because Publisher Joe Patterson murdered Deathless Deer (TIME, Oct. 19).

Deathless Deer was nine months old. Joe Patterson himself had fondly named her. She was the only new comic strip he had bought in nine years. The Deer herself was a beauteous Egyptian princess who in the fourth installment suffered death, then awakened 3,000 years later in a U.S. museum. From there she fared forth to undergo some of the dullest adventures ever seen in a comic strip.

Deer's demise was announced in a curt News box. The paper explained that it was forced to reduce editorial and advertising content because WPB had curtailed newsprint. Therefore, Deathless Deer must go. With her, in the issue of July 19, went Embarrassing Moments, Beauty Answers, Love Answers and the stockmarket column. The fact that the News had recently added a three-page classified ad section was not mentioned.

Last week the Chicago Tribune-New York News Syndicate informed 17 subscribing papers (circulation, plus the News's: about 6,000,000) that for them the strip would end Aug. 21. Deathless Deer's authors took it bravely. They are Joe Patterson's pretty, shrewd daughter Alicia and Artist Neysa McMein (magazine covers) They planned to wind up Princess Deer's present parlous situation (she is accused of stabbing Baba Waring), have her say to her lover in the final syndicate installment: "See you after the war." The ladies were whistling in the dark. Deathless Deer was perhaps the most ineptly drawn of all comic strips. The dialogue was stupid and corny. Newsmen settled down to betting on how long Joe Patterson could stand it. Finally, he gave up, and thus death, as it seldom does to U.S. comic strips, came to Deathless Deer.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

Core Workout

lol this took me a second.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

You gotta wear the doctor coat all the time so people know you're a doctor.

The Phantom

Ghostlight posted:

It was during the poacher storyline last year
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3908728&pagenumber=201&perpage=40#post504458834

Which I'd totally forgotten about during this whole "ghost" Phantom storyline but the Phantom finds a duplicate skull cave with a Phantom in it that pretends to be his dad and berates him for loving up his destiny then goes full bone-zone.

I vaguely remember that now. Thanks for hunting it up! I might revisit it as it looks like it might be relevant to this story.

Pooch Cafe

Mothra and Godzilla were a couple, at least according to the more recent American movies.

Rex Morgan MD

God even when they do get on with it they can't just get on with it.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 18, 1945)

Yes, it's the luxurious, flowing hair that gives it away; until that point Aleta had looked just like your average pageboy with a string of pearls and C-cups

The greedy merchant maybe isn't the most attentive guy, is what I'm getting at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One of my favourite tropes in lit across time is how the exceptionally beautiful woman easily disguises herself as an unremarkable boy.