Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Pocket Morty's is possibly the best Pokemon-type game for mobile phones, although I'm not sure if I'm damning with faint praise with that statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

As someone who thought the first three seasons were decent-to-good I'm actually pretty sure I never finished season 4. The one with the train just completely killed it for me and I lost interest.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

flavor.flv posted:

The Good Dinosaur is some b-tier DreamWorks garbage

TGD was a fine landscape generator with creatures designed in Spore running around it. Otherwise a formulaic "parent's dead now it's up ta me" plot.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Record of ragnarok on Netflix is some bog standard arena anime fighting crap, but it's the worst time filling crap I've seen since dragon ball z on cartoon swim in like 1999. I'm on board for some stupid pretty fights with no plot but 8 episodes in, 7 episodes have been the kinda of 10 seconds on one still frame with voice over kind of filler that gets annoying. The summary of every character in the show is "you'll hate them".
If you've seen the meme of the anime lady getting smacked in the face by her own boobs, it's this show. In addition, the second fight ended with one fighter running out of stamina and dying. No, not zeus, the character that had been pushing himself further and further over the last three episodes to keep up with Adam, who was shown expending absolutely no effort at all, Adam just magically gets so tired he dies in the wettest goddamn fart of a twist I've ever seen. There was literally 0 indication in over 60 minutes of lead-up that this was a thing. It's really goddamn impressive to go in expecting garbage and being disappointed by the trash you get. I need to stop getting sunk cost fallacy ideas when I try out new shows. It's really goddamn bad.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

As someone who thought the first three seasons were decent-to-good I'm actually pretty sure I never finished season 4. The one with the train just completely killed it for me and I lost interest.

I'd have enjoyed the train episodes "gently caress you, we're not doing serious continuity" a lot more if they hadn't then had an episode all about their serious continuity. You can't have it both ways!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So the next big screen transformers movie has the beast wars in it. Part of me is very skeptically hoping it won't be the cluster that pretty much all the transformers movies have been in the past 20 years, but my biggest issue is always the same thing: nobody wants a transformer movie that focuses on stupid humans, we don't need stupid humans to be interested in the movie! Nobody goes to see a transformers movie because they're curious about some plucky human who is really good with tech or cars or is a super nice loner kid who just needs a chance, and of course the transformers will give him a chance to prove he's an awesome person deep down. No we want a transformers movie about the goddamn transformers!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is Michael Bay directly involved? If so, there's no hope. There have only been two decent Transformers movies -- THE Movie, and Bumblebee. Not a coincidence that they're also the two Bay wasn't involved in.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Imagined posted:

Is Michael Bay directly involved? If so, there's no hope. There have only been two decent Transformers movies -- THE Movie, and Bumblebee. Not a coincidence that they're also the two Bay wasn't involved in.

*the sound of Michael Bay furiously reading up on exceptions to statutory rape laws in whatever location the movie is set in*

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I dunno, I liked Bumblebee, but then again it was a clever "Girl & her Horse" movie with transforming robots.

You could say it was a "Robots in Disguise (as Horses)"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

*the sound of Michael Bay furiously reading up on exceptions to statutory rape laws in whatever location the movie is set in*

Ugh how did that poo poo make it in the movie ever.

Kind of surprised Michael Bay didn't make the argument that since robots technically can start life as adults, they never need statutory rape laws.

edit: Was anyone else crushed by how bad the Netflix Cybertron series was? How bland the characters and the loving voices? I remember reading something from Peter Cullen how Netflix just grabbed up randos and never even asked him to voice Prime.

edit 2: on the other hand, I always liked Transformers Prime, mostly because of Knock Out. But the teenage humans, drat.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jun 23, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The most recent TMNT movies are secretly loving delightful, especially the second, but the initially offputting designs* and Bay's tenuous association made me avoid them for years.

*these grew on me a ton, seeing pithy little clips in trailers was one thing but I thought the movies did a pretty great job of using the Turtle's designs to add a little bit of extra flair and personality to them.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah those Michael Bay TMNT movies are better than they have any right to be. I think one of the things is the turtles have distinct personalities & actually… act like teens?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I dunno, I liked Bumblebee, but then again it was a clever "Girl & her Horse" movie with transforming robots.

You could say it was a "Robots in Disguise (as Horses)"

I also thought the Decepticons in that one were legitimately menacing and felt like an actual threat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, they actually killed an autobot or two.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cowslips Warren posted:

So the next big screen transformers movie has the beast wars in it. Part of me is very skeptically hoping it won't be the cluster that pretty much all the transformers movies have been in the past 20 years, but my biggest issue is always the same thing: nobody wants a transformer movie that focuses on stupid humans, we don't need stupid humans to be interested in the movie! Nobody goes to see a transformers movie because they're curious about some plucky human who is really good with tech or cars or is a super nice loner kid who just needs a chance, and of course the transformers will give him a chance to prove he's an awesome person deep down. No we want a transformers movie about the goddamn transformers!

I used to have the same thought re: people who want the movies just want giant robot fight times.
Then I thought, everyone who gives a poo poo about transformers is going to see them anyway, so they put in the human element to grab an extra 20% audience share or whatever, and I was even more irritated.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah those Michael Bay TMNT movies are better than they have any right to be. I think one of the things is the turtles have distinct personalities & actually… act like teens?

He only produced, not directed those iirc. The turtles having distinct personalities is already a thing (if anything, something the cartoons played up after the original comics ones were relatively interchangeable) and acting more like teenagers seems to have been an influence on the 2012 CG series. I do feel like the TMNT movies kinda did the Bayformers thing right; the turtles look 'real' but actually have visible personality from their appearances, with their outfits and accessories reflecting that.

Silly Newbie posted:

I used to have the same thought re: people who want the movies just want giant robot fight times.
Then I thought, everyone who gives a poo poo about transformers is going to see them anyway, so they put in the human element to grab an extra 20% audience share or whatever, and I was even more irritated.

At this point it's more they do it just because that's what the franchise has always done.

Apparently it's more of a Japan thing, since supposedly Japanese audiences think sentient robots are kiddy and won't take them seriously, so they put in audience-insert kids that the target audience has to like, right?

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Recently watched the show for the first time and only one thing really bothered me.

Why does Uncle Iroh have an accent when nobody else in his family or from his city does?

Don't think it's a generational thing either, since (as far as I recall) not even his dad had one.

//

Joker

That dancing scene on the stairs that people were going crazy for was set to that pedophile football song lmao

Also, while watching the movie I remembered people itt being annoyed that Fleck just randomly getting with his gorgeous neighbor makes no sense.

I would have assumed that whole relationship was only in his head (which it is), but this possibly incorrect memory of other people's complaints turned a predictable twist into an actual surprise for me.

If my memory of other people's complaints is actually accurate, then some people here must not have been paying attention.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently it's more of a Japan thing, since supposedly Japanese audiences think sentient robots are kiddy and won't take them seriously, so they put in audience-insert kids that the target audience has to like, right?
Suddenly the creepy sexualised child thing clicks into place.

Edit: this is a dig at anime, not at Japanese people at large just to be clear.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bk. posted:

Recently watched the show for the first time and only one thing really bothered me.

Why does Uncle Iroh have an accent when nobody else in his family or from his city does?

Don't think it's a generational thing either, since (as far as I recall) not even his dad had one.

//

Joker

That dancing scene on the stairs that people were going crazy for was set to that pedophile football song lmao

Also, while watching the movie I remembered people itt being annoyed that Fleck just randomly getting with his gorgeous neighbor makes no sense.

I would have assumed that whole relationship was only in his head (which it is), but this possibly incorrect memory of other people's complaints turned a predictable twist into an actual surprise for me.

If my memory of other people's complaints is actually accurate, then some people here must not have been paying attention.

It's always safe to assume goons aren't paying attention

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bk. posted:

Joker

Just pretend it's the Doctoring the Tardis version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAVx0u9Cw4

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Bk. posted:

Because they got Mako on board and they needed to have him play the best character

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iroh was a bastard who didn't give a poo poo about his niece

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Transformers with Mark Wahlberg is good because I repeat the line "I think we found a transformer!" with his accent as much as possible.

I have not seen any of the movies since the first one.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Iroh was a bastard who didn't give a poo poo about his niece

I don't remember it ever being specifically addressed but I always read it as he knew that she was too far gone and not redeemable. He knew/saw that Zuko was and put all his effort into him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't remember it ever being specifically addressed but I always read it as he knew that she was too far gone and not redeemable. He knew/saw that Zuko was and put all his effort into him.

Yeah, Azula displayed at a very young age that she was an unhinged sociopath and Zuko was a sensitive but frustrated kid.

Iroh couldn't really influence Azula at an early age because of the Fire Lord and he didn't want to pass an opportunity like that again. Plus, at the time, Iroh was on a big military campaign against the Earth Kingdom.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

That's a pretty disingenuous take, Azula never had the break with privilege that Zuko did that opened him up to actually listening to Iroh. It's made clear she's Ozai's favorite from a young age and that Zuko never fits in like she does. At no point does she ever listen to anything Iroh says, it's weird to expect him to try with her when every time he meets her she tries to capture or kill him. People get weird about villains getting redeemed or not redeemed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cowslips Warren posted:

It makes no sense because part of the point of the Beast Wars series was that it was set millions of years ago, no humans around at all; but sure, let's set this Beast Wars movie in 1994. I could go off on a rant about how the Transformers first appeared on Earth circa 2007 when they came to find The Allspark (with the sole exception of Megatron in the early 20th century), except that's been retconned in like every movie SINCE then. I never saw The Last Knight, but I think it even had a Transformer that was literally Merlin, help out an also real King Arthur?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember thinking that as well when I saw the first Transformers movie (why are there humans, when it should just be robots fighting). But then I see scenes of just robots punching each other, or superhero movies where two invincible people punch each other into walls, and it's usually very boring.

I find it hard to enjoy a fight scene where there is no threat of damage (invincible or effectively so) or damage doesn't really matter (just repair the machine after the fight). I find this especially true of CGI fights, where I can't enjoy the skill of the actors and the fight choreography either.

I'm not sure what the right answer is. I don't like the forced human characters in those movies, but I can't think of any good examples without them either.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DrBouvenstein posted:

It makes no sense because part of the point of the Beast Wars series was that it was set millions of years ago, no humans around at all; but sure, let's set this Beast Wars movie in 1994. I could go off on a rant about how the Transformers first appeared on Earth circa 2007 when they came to find The Allspark (with the sole exception of Megatron in the early 20th century), except that's been retconned in like every movie SINCE then. I never saw The Last Knight, but I think it even had a Transformer that was literally Merlin, help out an also real King Arthur?

Obviously they're going to do an inversion of the concept where it's the autobots that discover the maximals in stasis after they've been buried for millions of years

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

jjack229 posted:

I find it hard to enjoy a fight scene where there is no threat of damage (invincible or effectively so) or damage doesn't really matter (just repair the machine after the fight). I find this especially true of CGI fights, where I can't enjoy the skill of the actors and the fight choreography either.

The gold standard of movie fights is, of course, Jackie Chan, and he always showed himself getting hurt in them.

I don't mean the outtake stuff, but punching someone and then shaking his fist, being hit and being in pain.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Because they got Mako on board and they needed to have him play the best character

Even if it's the actor's actual accent, in-universe it still doesn't explain why the character has one.

Given how well the accent suits the character, and just how pleasant he is to listen to in general, the best solution would have probably been to simply give all characters from that region a similar accent.

Though that would have probably resulted in a bunch of white VOs doing some Mickey Rooney-rear end bullshit, so maybe limiting it to just Iroh for no discernable reason was the right call.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jjack229 posted:

I remember thinking that as well when I saw the first Transformers movie (why are there humans, when it should just be robots fighting). But then I see scenes of just robots punching each other, or superhero movies where two invincible people punch each other into walls, and it's usually very boring.

I'm not sure what the right answer is. I don't like the forced human characters in those movies, but I can't think of any good examples without them either.

The Transformers movies do actually show the robots dying at a much higher rate than the show (the og movie being almost parodic in how they're clearing out the old cast to sell new toys) that's clearly pointed out as beyond repair. (while Transformers are often shown to be rebuilt and revived, it's not exactly a common thing)

The clear answer is to actually have visual storytelling and clear stakes. And mocap.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think part of the idea behind putting humans in Transformers is selling the scale. These are all meant to be robots the size of houses, that turn into vehicles the size of a car or an airplane you would drive. (Unless they turn into something wacky like a regular sized handgun or a tape recorder or a microscope.)

When it's just robots duking it out on Cybertron it's easy to forget how big they're supposed to be. They could very well be human-sized and turning into something only as big as a Power Wheels jeep. So you end up with humans mixed into the action to up the spectacle.

Incidentally I wonder how the Beast Movie is going to handle the Maximal's scale, as in the 90s cartoon all the robots had downsized a ton "in the name of fuel efficiency", and in robot mode were a lot closer to human sized. There's a scene where Purple Dinosaur Megatron (who is not the same person as Gun Megatron) blows up the original Optimus Prime's head, and he is slightly smaller than Optimus Prime's head. My guess is in the movie the Maximals will all be big-robot sized and turn into giant animals. Which I'm ok with, considering I'm expecting them to be about as connected to the '96 crew as the original Bayformers were to their namesakes.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is an insanely lovely attitude.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

packetmantis posted:

What opportunity did he even have to try and reform her?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The problem isn't that he "didn't have an opportunity to reform her," it's that the showrunners made an abused tween girl the most irredeemable villain in the series and everyone just goes along with that framing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Eh, she's not nearly as evil as Ozai

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Her VA also sells the hell out of it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Per the Avatar wiki:

quote:

Little is known about Iroh's relationship with his niece Azula. While Iroh seemingly cared for Azula when she was little, as seen when he sent her a doll from the Siege of Ba Sing Se, that attachment deteriorated. Iroh once stated that Azula was "crazy and [needed] to go down" (these words were oddly prophetic as Azula suffered a mental breakdown and was eventually defeated while she was in this condition). He did attempt to speak courteously toward her after having not seen her for a long time; however, she did not seem to return the favor kindly and insisted he be silent while she spoke to Zuko. During a later encounter, Azula severely wounded Iroh with a blast of fire. Iroh consistently advised Zuko not to give in to her deceit and selfish demands. It was he who urged Zuko to face her one final time in order to claim his rightful title as Fire Lord. Despite all of this, it would appear that Iroh sympathized with Azula's madness and he even encouraged her role in the search for Ursa one year later, helping Team Avatar to accept her by pointing out that finding Ursa could perhaps bring peace to her as well, showing his care for Azula was not completely gone.

So looks like he tried with her, she shirked him, tried to kill him, and even after that he sympathized with her. I didn't know what the Ursa (it's Zuko's mom) thing was but it looks like it's a storyline from the comics, which I haven't read. But like Zonko said Iroh also didn't have the access to her that he had with Zuko.

She's made out to be severely broken but if you watch the scene near the end/last episode(maybe) where she's tied up and having a breakdown, shooting fire from her mouth, you definitely empathize with her. It's a pretty heartbreaking moment.

packetmantis posted:

packetmantis posted:

The problem isn't that he "didn't have an opportunity to reform her," it's that the showrunners made an abused tween girl the most irredeemable villain in the series and everyone just goes along with that framing.

I guess it's fortunate for me I wasn't one of the writers of the show then? I never said I didn't have a problem with it, just that's how it was presented so...yeah that's how I read it.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jun 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
She suffered a bit from not having much screentime as the other characters, but she does get a bit more development in the ongoing comic series. It's written by Gene Luen Yang and drawn by Gurihuru, a real dream team. It does a great job of capturing the voice of the show and expanding the setting, and even poking at some of the more problematic elements.

One of the ongoing threads is Zuko learning to rule the dystopia his father built. How can he lead effectively when half his court were pro-genocide, and his own people regularly send assassins after him? Then there's Azula, out there raising hell.

From Smoke and Shadows