Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i figured with the initial lighting engine they were going to have those torch sconce things heavily littering every single zone sort of like mini-checkpoints so that you didn't have to carry a torch on the way back after dying, making it potentially slightly easier to get back to where you were. but that wouldn't have been an interesting or fun mechanic in the ds2 that exists so that's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cavauro posted:

i figured with the initial lighting engine they were going to have those torch sconce things heavily littering every single zone sort of like mini-checkpoints so that you didn't have to carry a torch on the way back after dying, making it potentially slightly easier to get back to where you were. but that wouldn't have been an interesting or fun mechanic in the ds2 that exists so that's good
Actually I do think that this works, there's a bunch of zones I play like that and I do enjoy it. Gutter ofc where the torches also serve as a nice breadcrumb path to mark where you've been, but I also like having a nearby sconce lit in Wharf so I can eventually have an easy torch handy for the shadow beasts. Same goes for lighting one down in Sinner's Rise, so I can start a torch run from the elevator to the end. Yeah Flame Butterflies exist but at the start they're kinda rare, and also it's neat to not use them all the time so I do it my way!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Carry a torch in the Black Gulch so you can roll through the oil puddles to light the grabby things on fire.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GodFish posted:

Carry a torch in the Black Gulch so you can roll through the oil puddles to light the grabby things on fire.

Ahhh, my nightmares.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hot new tech for getting face grabbed by a nightmare noodle that is now on fire.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Look if you can't kill it while its flailing around in fire pain that's on you :colbert:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Imagine going through Black Gulch without any idea that you can break the poison-spitting statues and you've just imagined my first DS2 playthrough

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just run

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is not that I cannot kill it, it is more that that kind of enemy makes me panic.

I was a mess in 5-1,5-2 of Demons souls because of the leeches and slugs. It is my phobia.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just git gud and farm those stupid hands for massive amounts of Chunks super early in the game and then get OP, op

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I was googling around yesterday trying to find how much ADP the Deprived class starts with and found this gem from 2014 on gamefaqs

quote:

Deprived also starts with 6 in everything. A lot of people are feeling adp is useless, so the lower that starts the better. Bandit is great for low adp and 1int as long as you're fine using only miracles or no magic.

Apparently it took a while for people to figure out ADP adds i-frames.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Imagine going through Black Gulch without any idea that you can break the poison-spitting statues and you've just imagined my first DS2 playthrough
Yeah, this happened to me too. I only found out recently by reading this thread. Unreal.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

I was googling around yesterday trying to find how much ADP the Deprived class starts with and found this gem from 2014 on gamefaqs

Apparently it took a while for people to figure out ADP adds i-frames.

The community at large also thought that Poise did loving nothing in DS3 for the longest time, too, until extensive testing was done to confirm how it worked. If there's one thing that hasn't changed over the course of the Souls series, it's FromSoftware's dedication to avoiding any kind of proper documentation beyond vague "Defense makes you take less damage"-esque aphorisms.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yeah I was one of those who thought poise in DS3 was bugged because of how hard it was to prove it did anything.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

VideoGames posted:

Ahhh, my nightmares.

I play most Dark Souls games in a sense of heightened tension rather than outright fear, as 9 times out of 10 the thing coming at you is just another sword and shield dude so nothing to be afraid of really (Bloodborne wrecked me, btw).

Those hand things scared the living poo poo out of me the first time I encountered them, nearly leapt out of my chair. Every Black Gulch run has been a systematic burn oil - smash statue - burn oil - smash statue run for me!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

Yeah I was one of those who thought poise in DS3 was bugged because of how hard it was to prove it did anything.

Unless you're trading with Perseverance/Ultras it may as well not exist.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
How does poise work in ds3 anyway?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GodFish posted:

Activate Perseverance

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

GodFish posted:

it does nothing unless you're in the middle of an attack animation (mostly any swings from big weapons, or two handed swings from mid-sized weapons) or special ability that uses it, at which point the poise value is multiplied by that specific attack's poise multiplier and compared to any attacks that hit you during that time to see if you get staggered or keep swinging

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
DS2 feels really bad with low adaptability. things you would effortlessly dodge in ds1/3 clips you for a chunk of your health. once you get it up to 20 or so, it's the easiest game to dodge out of sticky situations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Your item use speed is also tied to Adaptability, so you're also going to be using everything, including drinking from your Estus flask, more slowly. Yeah.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

GodFish posted:

If you aren't using a Mace/Ultra GS/Great Axe/Great Hammer, it doesn't. Poise is a useless stat in DS3 unless you're using a bigass weapon or the perseverance weapon art.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

or two handed swings with greatswords, halberds, and maces, or most weapon art attacks...

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

huntsman copse that angry whip man sickle spear guy rush in the tight canyon is pretty funny - the game is generally quite cruisy and suddenly its all out gently caress you time. I managed to get past it running a long way back towards the underbridge bonfire and then quickly died in undead purgatory I went through the mist to avoid an invader that popped in right after I beat the AI invader at the end of the rope bridge which left me on low health and estus and it was a real out of the frying pan into the fire moment... fucken ghost chariot - took me a couple attempts to figure that out then I spazzed out trying to heal instead of just hitting the horse 3 more times but an interesting fight after some boring ones so I enjoyed it overall.

After finding DS1 a bit meh I am getting into this like BB/DS3.

I have been using the fire longsword from right at the start because I can't figure out what I want to commit to stat wise so I have only pushed str and dex up to 16 I think... and put points into agi/health/stam. I have gotten the warped blade which seems kinda speedy and ive been messing with the parrying dagger instead of a shield so I might go into dex and dual wield those now... but it seems like I'll lose a lot of damage swapping at the requirement for the warped blade. I get so lazy with builds in these games because knights are cool :O

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Warped Sword is one of the best Dex weapons in the game, and it has a secret to boot: if you powerstance it with a quite large variety of weapons in the left hand, you get a super cool and strong spinning move on L2. Give it a shot imo!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Qmass posted:

fucken ghost chariot

The chariot is perfectly real, it's the horse that's a ghost! :eng101:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I did nearly the entirety of DS2 with a great club. My next time playing through I think I might mix it up, but man did I have fun just obliterating everything in my path. Especially when dual wielding great clubs :D

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VideoGames posted:

I did nearly the entirety of DS2 with a great club. My next time playing through I think I might mix it up, but man did I have fun just obliterating everything in my path. Especially when dual wielding great clubs :D

Big smashy weapons were my favorite in Demons/DS1 but I didn't like them in DS2 at all. Mostly because unless you don't move at all during the attack animation you wind up swinging in an entirely different direction than your enemy is in, and because the damage numbers don't make up for the slow speed / stamina cost versus smaller, faster weapons. Worst of all, they don't let you pancake your enemies' faces into the pavement.

I suppose this could very well be me just playing the game wrong though, as apparently was the case in multiple places in DS2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You could very much pancake enemies with 2h r2s of big smashy weapons.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In ds1 discovering I could stagger the silver knights with a massive club thing was one of the most satisfying moments. No more delicate dodges or blocking, just run at them and smash away

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

In ds1 discovering I could stagger the silver knights with a massive club thing was one of the most satisfying moments. No more delicate dodges or blocking, just run at them and smash away
I didn't know this. Probably would've made Anor Londo a lot easier!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Repeatedly flattening the demonic reindeer in Frigid Outskirts is one of the absolute best experiences in the game. Not every big weapon will do it, sometimes you need the ring that increases poise damage.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

raditts posted:

Big smashy weapons were my favorite in Demons/DS1 but I didn't like them in DS2 at all. Mostly because unless you don't move at all during the attack animation you wind up swinging in an entirely different direction than your enemy is in, and because the damage numbers don't make up for the slow speed / stamina cost versus smaller, faster weapons. Worst of all, they don't let you pancake your enemies' faces into the pavement.

I suppose this could very well be me just playing the game wrong though, as apparently was the case in multiple places in DS2.

I actually like this, but I never lock on in DS1 or 2. I got used to starting a swing and you have a bit of time to change your direction before the final follow through. It seemed to work a lot better without locking on, and since I also have some confirmation bias that locking on puts enemies on a turn table and makes it harder to dodge into them or to their side, I grew to like that quirk of smashy weapons.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The smelter hammer is pretty much the ideal pancaking tool and everyone who hasn’t used it should

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's a real power move to flatten your foes with a giant drumstick

anyway, played the poo poo out of the original so much that I never bothered to pick up sotfs. but the other day I noticed it was on sale for :10bux:. should be fun

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

anyway, played the poo poo out of the original so much that I never bothered to pick up sotfs. but the other day I noticed it was on sale for :10bux:. should be fun
I also played the poo poo of OG DS2. When I went over and started SotFS (during the "Return to Drangleic" event,) I found it to be much more difficult than the original. This was mitigated somewhat by there being a LOT of people around to summon for help, at least. GLHF!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

raditts posted:

Big smashy weapons were my favorite in Demons/DS1 but I didn't like them in DS2 at all. Mostly because unless you don't move at all during the attack animation you wind up swinging in an entirely different direction than your enemy is in

this drove me insane when I used the greatsword, doesn't matter if you're locked on or anything it just swings wherever you point the stick

I'm sure it's very useful for high level people or something, not me though

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

dis astranagant posted:

You could very much pancake enemies with 2h r2s of big smashy weapons.

I have no idea why it never worked for me then. By the end I had enough strength to one-hand pretty much every greatsword, so strength certainly couldn't have been the issue.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if you were only one-handing, then that'd explain it. if a weapon has any pancaking/knockdown attacks they're almost certainly in the two-handed moveset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Strength isn’t the determining factor, provided you have enough to wield the weapon. Knockdown is an effect of specific moves against specific enemies (rule of thumb is anything that uses the player model will be launched). On most ultra greatswords and great hammers too the 2HR2 combo and/or the 2H sprint/backstep attack will pancake or launch enemies. I don’t think greatswords proper have knockdown attacks.