Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

Wasn't there some 'theory' that irritating your lungs would give you a brief increase in capacity?

I know that if I have a cold coming on SOMETIMES I would be a bit faster that day.

Probabily BS and smoking sucks.

I've biked with fevers and the beginning stages of Covid, any impression of speed whether true or not is probably due to lack of judgement caused by delirium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Smoking limits the capabilities of your lungs. The smoking cyclists of yesteryear would be, well, smoked by todays cyclists, apart from the ones at the height of the EPO era.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leng posted:

I think I jinxed myself.
Take your lane! Glad you and bub are ok!

Animal Friend posted:

Reminds me of my dad having an awesome old Peugeot road bike and always giving me poo poo for my own bikes as a kid not being as good as his. Then one day in a drunken rage he cut it in half :shrug:
yo what the gently caress

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 15, 2021

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I've now done over 200km of commuting, taking my daughter to daycare and myself to work. I'm very out of shape so it feels like quite the accomplishment! Next year I hope to afford a better setup, we just threw something together quick so I wouldn't have to take the bus during Covid. We took my old mountain bike, threw a rear rack on it, and then put a child seat on top of that. My heels hit the seat's foot rests if I'm not careful, and my bike has a top bar so I have to do a bit of yoga to dismount.

But I really enjoy it, and my daughter loves pointing out all sorts of birds and bugs and rabbits and cars and and and :3:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sweet Gulch posted:

and my bike has a top bar so I have to do a bit of yoga to dismount.
Don't overlook the exotic leg over the handlebars dismount.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3mpxzBW0s&t=63s

I've definitely kneed the bike seat a few times while doing a rolling mount, but fortunately never had the babb in there.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Now I've gone and done it. I've put semi-metallic sintered pads on a brake disc marked "resin only". If I die soon in a mysterious bakfiets explosion this is the reason.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I ran that for a year before I noticed the rotors were resin only :shrug: worked just fine for road at least.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've biked with fevers and the beginning stages of Covid, any impression of speed whether true or not is probably due to lack of judgement caused by delirium.

I'm talking the stage just before a fever. A sore throat basically.

Then again, I grew up on a swamp so over the years I have sailed thru the Flu and Covid with basically a sore throat and nasal congestion. And I'm OLD.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hello Commuting Thread,

I want to buy a new bike.

Height: 6’3 - 190cm
Inseam: 34.5
Budget: $1-3k or so.
Length of commute: 3 miles to work
Terrain: bike path, road, and trails
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): CL here is pretty dead. Lancaster, DC, and Philly could be used for something great.

I’d ideally like this to be a do most everything kind of bike but specifically it would need to do these things well.

1. An easy 6 mile round trip commute to work on mostly a dedicated bike path and a bit of quiet road.
2. Weekend rides with a bike trailer and 60lbs of small people inside.
3. Pleasure and fitness rides on paths and trails. There are some easy single track trails nearby that I would like to use it on.

Bike History

1990s Gary Fisher Big Sur
I used this for mountain biking for about 10 years a long time ago on some decently technical stuff at a place that attracted racers from the surrounding states. I never really love the ergonomics of this bike but it is what I had for a long time. I also hurt my shoulder on it and have avoided mountain biking mostly since then. I sold it on CL at some point.

1980 Schwinn Tempo
I used this to commute to grad school in a medium sized city where it fit the niche of being a nice enough bike to ride but not nice or new enough for anyone to really want to steal it. The wheels are now quite poo poo on it and need to be replace. It can be an extra bike that can hang in the shed for group rides. I still have it. It has the hilarious 80s "Bio-pace" chain-set. I never super loved the ergonomics of this bike.

2016 Motobecane Turino
This is a CX bike that we bought for my wife from bike's direct. She is really much more of an upright cruiser style bike person so she only rides this if necessary so it has become my default bike as it is much nicer than the old Schwinn. I just don't like riding it that much and it just feels like I'm riding "her" bike because I am.

I had an old Suzuki V-Strom that I sold and the proceeds from that were going to fund this purchase. That was two years ago and I still haven't made time to throw my leg on different bikes and buy one.

Of the utmost importance is that this bike tempt me to ride it all of the time and that it be comfortable to ride. I sold the motorcycle because whenever it was nice out I would always end of taking it instead of the bicycle. I've also never super loved drop bars on my road bikes so I have been looking more towards flat bar bikes but I have also not ridden a ton of different bikes to try out different shapes and sizes. One thing this new bike will not need to do is long road rides as I would take on elf the other bikes for that.

What should I be looking at? So far the genre of "flat-bar-gravel-bike" seems to tick a lot of boxes and I have found in looking briefly the following bikes.

1. Specialized Sirrus 3-4-5
2. Marin DSX
3. Giant City Escape

I also saw some Kona bikes that looked interesting albeit with some tamer looking drop bars. I've also been told there is a crazy bike shortage but I haven't visited any shops yet to see how dire it is. I looking at new but I'm not opposed to some thing used.

EDIT:

Well no one has replied to this yet so I'll report back here. I called 6 bike shops within 45 min of me and only 1 had bikes that I was both interested in and in my size.

I rode the Specialized Sirrus 4 and 5.

This is XL in aluminum.

This is XXL in carbon.

These guys were very easy to ride and very comfortable, which bodes well for me as I've seen several bikes in this style by various manufacturers.

And then they dropped down this Salsa Cut Throat. I think my brain is still broken and trying to determine if it liked it more or less than the other style. The drop bars were much more tame than the ones on my road bikes but I'm not sure if I liked the whole set up more or not for what I want to do. The component groups seemed to nicer apart although the brakes were mechanical instead of hydraulic on the Specialized bikes.

Does the blue one fall into the category of " hybrid junk do not buy?"

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 19, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

most modern flat bar commuters are just as fast as lower range drop bar road bikes these days.

If you don't like drop bars then get a flat bar. Especially if your going to be doing anything urban. The control and stability in a pinch is much better with a flat bar imo.

I think a lot of it comes down to the stance you have on the bike. Some flat bars are very relaxed and upright so you get to cruise in comfort but not very quickly.

I'll recommend checking out the Merida speeder range (of which I own) since the top two are specced very well for the price (the 400 range has the 105 gearset) and although flat bars they have a very aggressive stance so they feel as fast as a drop bar. Merida frames are also quite big, so would suit your size.

I don't know much about the Sirrus but it looks like it has wider bars, which means its a more relaxed stance. I've tried the Trek FX series which is decent but didn't feel as fast as the Merida and previously had a Cannondale Quick which, despite the name was pretty much a laid back cruiser (very light for the price though).

Also I don't get the hybrid hate lol. If you're only doing a 6mile round trip and want something just to get around why spend more than you need to?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
The Sirrus is a fine bike. It's on the sporty end of the hybrid spectrum.

I don't know anything about trailers but maybe worth mentioning to the dealer in case it's an issue for the carbon model.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Animal Friend posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to the stance you have on the bike. Some flat bars are very relaxed and upright so you get to cruise in comfort but not very quickly.

I'll recommend checking out the Merida speeder range (of which I own) since the top two are specced very well for the price (the 400 range has the 105 gearset) and although flat bars they have a very aggressive stance so they feel as fast as a drop bar. Merida frames are also quite big, so would suit your size.

I don't know much about the Sirrus but it looks like it has wider bars, which means its a more relaxed stance. I've tried the Trek FX series which is decent but didn't feel as fast as the Merida and previously had a Cannondale Quick which, despite the name was pretty much a laid back cruiser (very light for the price though).

I'd like to add that a more upright position also provides a better view of your surroundings than an aerodynamic one. An aggressive drop bar road bike gets annoying really fast if you constantly have to look ahead and to your left and right imo. It's the main reason I don't use a road bike for city commuting.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I see loads of city commuters get around that problem by just not looking :smug:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
The cutthroat is the only one there I would take on even mild singletrack and have an enjoyable experience. I think all those bikes have through axles, which means you’ll need to get a longer replacement to attach a Burley style trailer hitch, which attaches at the axle.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cebrail posted:

I'd like to add that a more upright position also provides a better view of your surroundings than an aerodynamic one. An aggressive drop bar road bike gets annoying really fast if you constantly have to look ahead and to your left and right imo. It's the main reason I don't use a road bike for city commuting.

oh yeah.

This is also something that really needs considering, ThirstyBuck

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

cebrail posted:

American bike culture is like if you put a breeding population of some inbred sporting dog on an island and came back a thousand years later to see how they'd adapted to the wild.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

cebrail posted:

Am I misunderstanding drop bars, but aren't the hoods and tops of a drop bar basically equivalent to a flat bar? I've always seen drop bars as flat bars with some extra hand positions if you want to be more aerodynamic, there are casual rides when I never even bother going to the drops.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Am I misunderstanding drop bars, but aren't the hoods and tops of a drop bar basically equivalent to a flat bar? I've always seen drop bars as flat bars with some extra hand positions if you want to be more aerodynamic, there are casual rides when I never even bother going to the drops.

Drop bars are typically narrower than flats, so the handling is a fair bit twitchier

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

This may all be a moot point as I emailed 25 bikes shops within an hour+ of me and there are virtually no bikes available. One shop had a Diverge Comp Carbon for $4500. I knew there was a shortage but I havent set foot in a shop since pre-rona so I didn’t know it was this dire.

I looked into the thu axle issue. I have a Bee and Burley makes an adapter that is necessary to use the trailer, it’s about $50 bucks.

I’ll check out the Merida.

I misspoke about the Sirrus, they were Sirrus X models FWIW which use a 1X drivetrain and have some different tires etc.

I’m annoyed that I’m finally ready to buy something and there’s very little available. Ah well first world problems.

It sounds like supply won’t come back around for 6-12 months?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Supply is hit or miss. I know a guy who is continuing to get bikes that other shops are saying won’t be in until 2022. You really just have to be constantly on top of checking and ready to buy that very moment. The shops are often getting dicked around by the manufacturer too so they don’t often have real dates on when stuff is coming.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

oh yeah.

This is also something that really needs considering, ThirstyBuck

My drop bar commuters have about 10cm saddle-bar drop, and I don't find it a chore to look forward (as I would in any riding) or over my shoulders. Took some practice to get there, but I guarantee you need to develop the same compensation to look all the way back while still steering straight ahead.

I don't think it matter under 5mi, but you definitely feel the toll of the wind hitting you more when you're sitting upright.

ThirstyBuck posted:

This may all be a moot point as I emailed 25 bikes shops within an hour+ of me and there are virtually no bikes available. One shop had a Diverge Comp Carbon for $4500. I knew there was a shortage but I havent set foot in a shop since pre-rona so I didn’t know it was this dire.

It sounds like supply won’t come back around for 6-12 months?

How far are you willing to ship? I've been pretty surprised at widespread reports of no bike stock, when all local shops in Boston seem to have stocked showrooms. One theory is that there was relatively heavy bike ownership and usage here, so lower percentage of the population 'activating' and increasing demand.

Maybe you could call around here and see if any of them are willing to ship?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If any of the shops have online stores that show you stock, check every morning to see what new bikes they have in. Then as mentioned, be ready to buy. If you get there and the bike doesn’t work, they’ll refund you.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

If you live anywhere where it rains, you should rule out the Cutthroat as a commuter bike because it doesn't have fender mounts. It's also very limited in terms of rack options.

Personally I think that Sirrus X4 or X5 are rad as gently caress for a commuter, and I bet you'd have a hoot on either.
If you already have a trailer, you may need an adaptor to mount it to a thru-axle. Gonna depend on the type of trailer you have.
If you don't have one already, make sure you get an easily compatible one.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've used my 2014 Sirrus Sport for a good bit of commuting and I liked it. Yikes at the current prices, though. Latest model is $400 some more than what I paid.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The hoods are forward of the stem. On flat bars will your hands be roughly level with the stem, swept bars they might be behind the stem.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Swept bars have made all other bars seem uncomfortable in comparison for me, which is a pity because going 15mph sat bolt upright on an ebike into a headwind isn’t a pleasant experience.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

learnincurve posted:

Swept bars have made all other bars seem uncomfortable in comparison for me, which is a pity because going 15mph sat bolt upright on an ebike into a headwind isn’t a pleasant experience.

Just squint your eyes and hammer open the throttle. Let Bosch do the work.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

How far are you willing to ship? I've been pretty surprised at widespread reports of no bike stock, when all local shops in Boston seem to have stocked showrooms. One theory is that there was relatively heavy bike ownership and usage here, so lower percentage of the population 'activating' and increasing demand.

Maybe you could call around here and see if any of them are willing to ship?
Not Harris Cyclery though, they closed last week :smith: No idea why

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Not Harris Cyclery though, they closed last week :smith: No idea why

Like many, it looks like they closed cause the owners are close to retirement, and it's been total garbage to work at a bike shop for the last year and it's not gonna get better for another two years. I understand why they're fed up and don't think it's worth it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Safety Dance posted:

Just squint your eyes and hammer open the throttle. Let Bosch do the work.

I’m in the UK so pedal assist is only legal here but the principal is sound. Pro tip: Masks are super useful at preventing a dog with head out the window situation.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

SimonSays posted:

Like many, it looks like they closed cause the owners are close to retirement, and it's been total garbage to work at a bike shop for the last year and it's not gonna get better for another two years. I understand why they're fed up and don't think it's worth it.

That makes sense, Jon is a pretty old guy, hope the mechanics end up elsewhere if they're not tired of the industry

I'm in need of a new local bike shop now, if anyone knows of a good place in the western Boston suburbs that handles bromptons, let me know. I know of cycle loft up in Burlington and there's the various Landry's locations too

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
So what's going on with Brompton? Supply problems? Demand problems?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Yes

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Found them!

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Groda posted:

So what's going on with Brompton? Supply problems? Demand problems?

One of my game industry friends managed to just snag 2 new Bromptons. Lucky.

(Can't share FB pic, oh well)

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 23, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Does any company make a bike that has an IGH, disc brakes, and a dyno hub?

I'm starting a new job soon and they have a scheme were I can get an interest-free 3-year loan to purchase a new bike. It'd be my main method of transport for *all* events (i.e. including formal and social events) so belt drive or a protected chain case would be nice so I don't wind up with grease on my suit. But I would also like to be able to take it on casual rides of 20-50 km.

This is in the UK-- we can still get EU brands of bikes out here (for now) so that may help inform.

It’s possible, though a bit specialised to combine discs and hub gears. It’s a touring setup really, which might mean custom.

Look at thorncycles.co.uk

Go for a Rohloff hub if you’re rich enough.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Boardman URB 8.9 has 8 speed hub and hydraulic disk brakes

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

wooger posted:

It’s possible, though a bit specialised to combine discs and hub gears. It’s a touring setup really, which might mean custom.

If you're not in the US, discs on gear hubs have been all over the place for like 10 years. Even ignoring Rohloff.

Search for bikes with Alifne 8 or Alfine 11 hubs. They only come with the option of disc brake (except if you just leave it off and use rim brakes).

The Alfine 11 has a range of just above 400 %, which is about the same as a 3x7 MTB gearset.

Groda fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 25, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Groda posted:

If you're not in the US, discs on gear hubs have been all over the place for like 10 years. Even ignoring Rohloff.

Search for bikes with Alifne 8 or Alfine 11 hubs. They only come with the option of disc brake (except if you just leave it off and use rim brakes).

The Alfine 11 has a range of just above 400 %, which is about the same as a 3x7 MTB gearset.

I’m in the UK.

You can get disc brakes with hub gears sure, but there aren’t many bikes like that about in my experience - how many people will spend ~ £1000+ on what’s essentially a hybrid bike?

Besides, from what I’ve read alfine 11 is not well regarded at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wooger posted:

You can get disc brakes with hub gears sure, but there aren’t many bikes like that about in my experience - how many people will spend ~ £1000+ on what’s essentially a hybrid bike?

Ultra fancy cycle tourists.
https://www.koga.com/en/koga-worldtraveller-s-anniversary-edition