Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

AnEdgelord posted:

lol at broken realms having battalions be the only content some armies got and then immediately throwing them in the trash in the next edition

Maybe when they get a new battletome sometime in the next year or so it will have a new, better version of them. Otherwise lmao at them taking multiple bad armies and making them even worse while a couple top-tier armies barely got touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the new battlepack looks pretty cool. Turning a hero into a monster for a turn is some good fun.

welcome to the realm called ghr *whip crack*

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

lol at broken realms having battalions be the only content some armies got and then immediately throwing them in the trash in the next edition
GW.txt

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

AnEdgelord posted:

it's kind of hosed up that GW put so much time and effort into 4 books featuring different factions, only to blow up all of their work for no reason in the next edition

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Business Gorillas posted:

it's kind of hosed up that GW put so much time and effort into 4 books featuring different factions, only to blow up all of their work for no reason in the next edition

some armies got redone warscrolls and new units so they aren't totally worthless but if you're somebody like FEC, OBR or Tzeentch then you have got to feel cheated after buying your broken realms book

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

anecdotally 3.0 has actually paused my entrance into AOS because the Bone Boiz, the army I was looking to pick up, look like they got absolutely shafted by the changes to CP and list construction. I wanna see how it all shakes out.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

AnEdgelord posted:

some armies got redone warscrolls and new units so they aren't totally worthless but if you're somebody like FEC, OBR or Tzeentch then you have got to feel cheated after buying your broken realms book

*puts down my Glottkin book*

sorry, i wasn't paying attention

edit:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

anecdotally 3.0 has actually paused my entrance into AOS because the Bone Boiz, the army I was looking to pick up, look like they got absolutely shafted by the changes to CP and list construction. I wanna see how it all shakes out.

i'm holding off on any more AOS stuff because my friend is absolutely insisting we cut our 48" gaming mat to 44" so we can play on a "regulation" table and its pissing me off

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
There is a bunch of stuff about 3.0 that seems really haphazard and which I feel like could have been avoided simply by thinking through them a little more. Nixing battalions that is the only way to really run some (sub)factions. Reinforcement mechanic being real wonky and punishing for a lot of armies. The command point changes, without thinking about the boneboys who just randomly get mega-dunked. The points changes without rhyme or reason as it relates to the current balance - like gently caress beasts of chaos? The coherency rules also gently caress some factions (again, gently caress beasts of chaos - together with the reinforcement change, gors are your elite hitting unit now). I have to wonder how long it’ll be till some of those factions get books, years I assume.

Separately, I also think none of the things they introduced had much of an impact on the double turn, it’s just as dumb and game deciding as it’s always been. In a way overwatch made it worse because shooting armies already benefited the most from two turns in a row, for the most part being able to near-table the opponent if they got the double turn.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah I seriously have no idea what they were thinking with some of these armies. Beasts of Chaos, Sylvaneth, and Gloomspite were already bad, and while there's probably some interactions in the new edition that will take a few weeks to work out, so I'm not gonna say the sky is falling or anything, but I honestly can't see a scenario in which those armies didn't get significantly worse. Hedonites got totally dumpstered, Maggotkin lost basically their only competitive comp, etc.

A couple armies took some needed hits, but then weirdly a few others that were borderline oppressive, like Idoneth, are basically untouched. They'd already mostly transitioned from pure eel spam to mixing in a few sharks and a Leviadon, and the reinforcement rules make so little difference to them that they can run drat near identical tourney lists.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Well they made money from all that time and effort, and they'll make more money by spending more time and effort revamping what they did before. I'm very new to the hobby but it seems to me that's GW's business model?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's okay, the game is already dead because Dominion didn't sell out fast enough. The internet has told me this repeatedly already.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

i'm holding off on any more AOS stuff because my friend is absolutely insisting we cut our 48" gaming mat to 44" so we can play on a "regulation" table and its pissing me off

Just make a 4" wooden strip and paint it black or something, then put it across one side. No reason to cut a perfectly working gaming mat, especially when GW might just change it again for another reason later on.

Furism posted:

Well they made money from all that time and effort, and they'll make more money by spending more time and effort revamping what they did before. I'm very new to the hobby but it seems to me that's GW's business model?

Don't look into Necromunda, it's ten times worse in that it's a game where you now can have more rulebooks than actual miniatures in your gang.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Never buy campaign books.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

DrDraxium posted:

I heard of someone running a Sons of Behamet army as all Kaiju and I've never been more interested in anything tbh.

There's surely got to be a mass market Attack on Titan army crossover somewhere

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

It's okay, the game is already dead because Dominion didn't sell out fast enough. The internet has told me this repeatedly already.
It's not dead, but it was sure as hell a marketing failure from GW's standpoint. They're still trying to flog starters and the command tokens four days after going up for preorder.

I'd love to see the numbers of people who didn't buy due to 1) not wanting an edition change after not being able to play the game for almost 18 months at this point; 2) perceiving their army as being nerfed into oblivion and/or max unit size changes; or 3) GW putting out a starter with two armies that people simply aren't that excited about - "Oh, boy - more Stormcast" or "WTF have you done to the Orcs, GW!? If I wanted LOTR models, I'd play LOTR!"

The Deleter posted:

Never buy campaign books.

This and limited edition rulebooks / army books. $200 for a rulebook that has the exact same content as the one off the shelf; you'll never take it to a store, EVER; and it's going to be outdated in three years.

What a goddamn racket GW has going...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 23, 2021

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I just want to make it clear that the Kruleboyz own and I will brook no dissent in this thread. I didn't buy Dominion because I'm currently wrestling with wtf to do with my Deepkin at the moment, which is probably "wait 2+ years for GW to and give us a new battletome", but that's not a knock on the box itself.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's not dead, but it was sure as hell a marketing failure from GW's standpoint. They're still trying to flog starters and the command tokens four days after going up for preorder.

I was being 100% facetious.
Unlike the people baying for AoS's blood online.

I didn't buy Dominion because I don't have the money for, didn't want to spend that much for just Yndrasta, and my pile of shame is drat well long enough as it is.
But I wouldn't mind some of the new spearcast outside of her, even if I wish they'd have some of the new ones with swords.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Deleter posted:

I just want to make it clear that the Kruleboyz own and I will brook no dissent in this thread. I didn't buy Dominion because I'm currently wrestling with wtf to do with my Deepkin at the moment, which is probably "wait 2+ years for GW to and give us a new battletome", but that's not a knock on the box itself.

Oh yeah they own hard, I’m looking at finding good 3d prints to make Long Orcs as a combined force, in part because I refuse to allow the Bonesplitterz sculpts near my person and in part because Long Waaaaaaagh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I bought Dominion and sold the krule Boyz already. So I basically paid $130aud for the nice rulebook and a bunch of stormcast which is a great deal.

I don't really understand why people are reacting to the new starter game having lots of stock compared to a one shot board game tbh.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The comparison is probably not to cursed city but more to the 40k box, which GW also kinda compared it to. That one sold out in hours and they had to do a super special extra run for half a year, despite an immense amount of reassurance that there would be more than enough for everyone before the launch. There hype for 9 was real, and space marines are way more popular than sigmarines.

Personally, I think it’s fine that they for once in their lives did not underestimated the demand. I did think that the tokens were a super special ‘limited offer’ thing that only was going out with the very first boxes, in which case it is a little weird they’re still available. Maybe that’s not the case.

I think the kinda lukewarm general 3.0 reception (compared to 2.0 which everyone seemingly loved) as well as the ‘wtf?’-reaction many had to the points changes, will have put some people of getting the starter box.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Kruleboyz own and unless their battletome is complete trash they will be my first AoS army

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They'll probably follow the usual pattern of being really great and then get hit with the nerf stick later on, once sales have died down.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The comparison is probably not to cursed city but more to the 40k box, which GW also kinda compared it to. That one sold out in hours and they had to do a super special extra run for half a year, despite an immense amount of reassurance that there would be more than enough for everyone before the launch. There hype for 9 was real, and space marines are way more popular than sigmarines.
Indomitus was like that because almost every single 40k player plays Space Marines and look! More space marines with different hats!

AoS is a different beast and if all the boring unboxing videos can get some people to make the jump and start an army with Dominion or whatever, that's a win in my book. And yes, Kruleboyz own.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I think the kinda lukewarm general 3.0 reception (compared to 2.0 which everyone seemingly loved) as well as the ‘wtf?’-reaction many had to the points changes, will have put some people of getting the starter box.
Everyone loved 2.0 because a) awesome ghosts; b) GW actually listened and fixed a lot of the problems AoS 1.0 had; and c) more awesome ghosts.

We hadn't reached saturation with Stormcast with the 2.0 release like we have with 3.0, and nighthaunt were a cool, new army vs some weird shoehorned-in greenskins that are orruks, but not really, and hobgoblins that look like weird chimps and seemingly don't really fit in with the Krule Boyz aesthetic. I mean, if you like them, you like them - I've certainly got no issue with that. I think a lot of people are pretty cool on them though, and aren't digging the look. That of course may change as they get fleshed out.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It kinda kills me that they could have, instead of making Vindictors, turned those slimmer Stormcast sculpts into a multipart Liberator/Vindictor/Judicator box and maybe gone full Custodes where buying one box gets you the HQ option as well. But this is probably like a Space Marine player complaining about how many models they get.

I got my Deepkin out for the first time in a while to take stock of my hobby progress. Lining up my eels to handle the new coherency isn't as bad as I thought - with 2" on the spears, the back row can reach the front pretty handily if you stagger them right. Probably worth finding a movement tray to handle it, though. In the meantime I'm gonna spruce up the bases of the models I have and then reconfigure my KR cases to buy a King and some Ishlaen. I think Eels is still the way to go and it'll probably still be good when a new Battletome drops, unless someone from GW really really fucks it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just tell them to tape it off with some painter's tape. Or a washable marker (dish soap + water + scrub brush to remove) if they hate tape.

If they still insist on cutting it down tell them to get their own mat and cut it (neoprene does not like to be cut and will likely fray)

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 23, 2021

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Or just buy some of the properly sized mats or gameboards that will be out there if it's that big a deal. Hell, 40k 9E's been running on those sizes for a while now, those mats have to exist already.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm working on a boneboyz army now, so the changes seem strange. I don't think we needed a new edition. 2.0 worked well and had a lot of steam behind it. Now we've got to wait a full cycle for books to catch up again? Seems like as soon as the game gets in a good place, they flip the table a bit.

↓↓↓ What else are goons gonna do while we wait for our books to arrive?

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 23, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Sure is a lot of nogames doomposting here here

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Deleter posted:

Or just buy some of the properly sized mats or gameboards that will be out there if it's that big a deal. Hell, 40k 9E's been running on those sizes for a while now, those mats have to exist already.

Many places have started making mats in the new sizes.

Personally, I won't buy GW's dumb cardboard 'gaming boards'. But I'll use them if someone else has them and wants to use them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

They'll probably follow the usual pattern of being really great and then get hit with the nerf stick later on, once sales have died down.

Nah they'll a different trajectory known as "first battletome/codex syndrome" same as what happened to nighthaunt and stormcast last edition and what is happening in 40k to space marines and necrons right now. Its just gonna be a matter of degrees.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

This thread easily has the most negativity I've seen about AoS 3 outside of GW facebook comments.

Age of Sigmar 2 was most a strict upgrade to AoS1 and AoS3 does feel like more of an attempt to add more interactivity and flavor to the game mechanics while changing the look and feel of the table a bit. I'm down for it.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Separately, I also think none of the things they introduced had much of an impact on the double turn, it’s just as dumb and game deciding as it’s always been. In a way overwatch made it worse because shooting armies already benefited the most from two turns in a row, for the most part being able to near-table the opponent if they got the double turn.

Reports from people who have got a lot of 3.0 games in reflect a decent change in how the "double turn" feels. The heroic actions, monster rampages and extra command point legimately make your opponent's turns more interactive. It isn't going to completely nullify the advantage of getting two turns in a row, sure, but thats just the game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm honestly super looking forward to the Path to Glory changes and what they plan to do with new battlepacks. Points changes mean I'm having to rework lists, but it's a great feeling to actually want to use a Huskard on Thundertusk or a Saurus army.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Danimo posted:

Reports from people who have got a lot of 3.0 games in reflect a decent change in how the "double turn" feels. The heroic actions, monster rampages and extra command point legimately make your opponent's turns more interactive. It isn't going to completely nullify the advantage of getting two turns in a row, sure, but thats just the game.
Agreed, in the batreps I've seen, the impact of the priority roll is really diminished because you can do stuff. And most of the comments of the people that already played with the new rules have been really positive.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm actually excited about 3.0 and looking forward to playing it, but I can't lie and say I'm not a little salty about my favorite armies getting cut off at the knees for all but the most casual kitchen table play after some much-needed supplements had finally made them decent. I'm sure they'll get some buffs whenever their 3.0 books come out, but that could also be literally years from now, so.

It would have stung a little less if I'd a chance to actually *play* with any of those new rules in the past...almost two years now, jesus, but I'm not gonna blame GW for not anticipating a colossally mishandled pandemic when they were plotting out their release schedule.

Plus it could always be worse. I could have been a Hedonites player!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I mean its mostly about what battletomes are on their roadmap after Stormcast and Orruks assuming its not going to be like that weird 4 month delay between 9e and SM/Necrons.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm not looking forward to a new Age of Sigmar app. The 40k app is garbage, and the AoS app has been totally fine, I have no idea why they're replacing it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chainclaw posted:

I'm not looking forward to a new Age of Sigmar app. The 40k app is garbage, and the AoS app has been totally fine, I have no idea why they're replacing it.

I don't think they're replacing it, it's just being folded into the WHTV+ subscription.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If all else fails there's always battlescribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
never use battlescribe for aos.

Everyone makes their lists in warscroll builder anyway.