Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It fits just as fine with the theme of the current version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe it's because I was a teen in a small town when the game came out, but I'll always appreciate Persona 4's setting being designed around a corporate megachain choking the life out of the city and killing the local economy. The game's all about 60s J-Pop fun, but the realistic, inescapable bleakness of that always stuck out to me, and I thought that captured the series' cynicism pretty well.

It totally got diluted after Atlus started making money hand-over-fist and made 9000 spin offs, but conceptually I still like the fit.

E: The P3 UI is GOATed though. Just thinking about that action wheel while "Master of Tartarus" plays gives me endorphins.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

DLC Inc posted:

I swear there's one guy in SMT4 who must voice like 5 or 6 main characters in the game and it sounds like Robin Atkin Downes. I'm wrong but I can't unhear it

I initially thought Persona 5 was going to be much darker when I kept seeing this ad for the game. Kind of tonally out of whack with the game imo

flashback to when according to the meta lore that indicated an Egyptian/Biblical Exodus theme for the P5 personas based on the history teacher thing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lotus Aura posted:

The most nonsensical variant on this I've been seeing a lot lately is a minority of some real vocal people complaining about how SMT5 has gone and made the main series anime for the first time ever and it's all Persona's fault. Because as I'm sure we all know, nothing in SMT could ever be described even remotely along those lines at all until, I guess, P4 went and got popular.

??? it looks exactly like you'd expect Nocturne 2 to look

I have to assume they actually mean they don't like the beautiful androgynous MC when they say "anime" and to them I say: good riddance

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

??? it looks exactly like you'd expect Nocturne 2 to look

I have to assume they actually mean they don't like the beautiful androgynous MC when they say "anime" and to them I say: good riddance
They did the same when IV came out, and they even have a bit of a point when Final came out

Anyone complaining about androgyny is a casual fake fan though, look at Aleph for YHVH's sake

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

People insist that P3's AI was fine and for the most part they're right but there was some inexcusable stuff like Yukari using medical powder instead of diarahan when she was low on SP (but still had more than enough to cast diarahan), which could cause the MC to die.

I am very salty about that happening to me in Erebus to this day.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anime pwns

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wasn't conserve SP a specific AI setting?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
well, people turning into pretty androgynous demons has been a thing since devilman.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t believe hey added a feminine MC to the series

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Wasn't conserve SP a specific AI setting?

It was but she would do it even on healing focus

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

megaten's always had like 90% of protags be pretty dudes, so :lol: at fans who are angry at it now

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like all vaguely-SMT related games, though if I had to choose I'd say I like SMT/P1-P2 style more.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Booky posted:

megaten's always had like 90% of protags be pretty dudes, so :lol: at fans who are angry at it now

To be fair SMT5's protag is the prettiest dude so far and I love him for it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Also to be fair nobody in this topic has actually said anything bad about the protag, it’s just a bunch of people dunking on someone they made up in their head.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah I have to say I haven't really seen any negativity about 5's protag. I went digging through tags on twitter the day after the trailer dropped and saw overwhelming positive response. Notably a lot of LGBTQ+ people absolutely living for the androgynous design and people being jealous of their fabulous looks. The most negativity I saw was "eh I don't really like it much".

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

depending on the game, "making up a guy in your head and getting mad at him" is the basis for gods and demons in shin megami tensei

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Snake Maze posted:

Also to be fair nobody in this topic has actually said anything bad about the protag, it’s just a bunch of people dunking on someone they made up in their head.

Yeah this isn't a fire emblem situation where the main sub reddit was actually mad that Advance Wars got a new game after 13 years while the last content they had was barely a year old

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

TurnipFritter posted:

depending on the game, "making up a guy in your head and getting mad at him" is the basis for gods and demons in shin megami tensei

and thats why dagda wants to kill every sentient being, to keep this from happening

dagda is trying to end all internet arguments forever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dagda was just Isamu without depression

Speaking of Dagda, I was really uncomfortable with what Danu did to him in the human ending. Like, it would have been less cruel to just kill him.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I went with the Demon ending after I saw what they did to Dagda in the Human version. The Beach dlc was very different after that

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

cheetah7071 posted:

Dagda was just Isamu without depression

Speaking of Dagda, I was really uncomfortable with what Danu did to him in the human ending. Like, it would have been less cruel to just kill him.

gods: only trust em a lil :ohdear:

dagdas a big edgelord like isamu but still.... :(

Booky fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 23, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Booky posted:

gods: only trust em a lil :ohdear:

dagdas a big edgelord like isamu but still.... :(

Matador heard me talking poo poo about him in the thread

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I like how SMTV's protagonist has what looks like a lovely quarantine haircut he gave himself, because on my first day back from quarantine my attempt to make my hair look less like a hobo ended up looking similar.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Don Gato posted:

I like how SMTV's protagonist has what looks like a lovely quarantine haircut he gave himself, because on my first day back from quarantine my attempt to make my hair look less like a hobo ended up looking similar.

This is the one thing that disappoints me about the transformation thing. I thought the quarantine cut in the older trailer was such a great idea. And I'm sad to see it'll go so quick.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

He still has the weird asymmetrical bangs post-transformation at least. Also apparently that weird mismatched angular bang look has been something of a trend in Japan as a rebellious teen thing from what I remember reading? But I'm an out of touch 30 year old so who knows.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I figured it was to show he was undecided, like one is Neutral, Law, and Chaos

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Fionn Mac Cumhaill's design is really cute and i want him and protag to go on a date

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't really like the MC's and the person they fuse with's Kamen Rider armor aesthetic and definitely prefer the scrapped-together look of the SMT4 Hunter's Guild. The sword hand is also kind of silly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exactly that. except the direct opposite

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the person he fuses with is jetstream sam and you will show some respect

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
MC looks good

Thats my opinion, and my opinion matters the most

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
school boy: whatever. i wouldn't hate playing as him

other man: who cares. next.

fused prettyboy: wowza. i'll take ten

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh, to be a sentai boy with immaculate locks gallivanting through the end of all things

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I do hope that there are cosmetic options and one is just to give the main character his original hair back, it can still be blue, but I think the long hair looks bad animated in game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
can't recruit demons because i'm spending all my macca on head and shoulders

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

oh, to be a sentai boy with immaculate locks gallivanting through the end of all things

Hell, the cover art is super loving sentai with the red, green and yellow demons around and behind the blue protagonist.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

In SMT3, where's the next place to save after killing Forneus?? I died wandering around the wasteland before I could find one. I even looked through Yoyogi Park and Shibuya...

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

In SMT3, where's the next place to save after killing Forneus?? I died wandering around the wasteland before I could find one. I even looked through Yoyogi Park and Shibuya...

Shibuya has a save location. Enter the left entrance from the main Shibuya area. In that area there should be a terminal, cathedral of shadows, a place to heal, and a shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

drat, I just so happened to go right instead before I died.