Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

You'd be surprised how easy it is to repair denim yourself. I've got a few pairs of nicer old jeans that I patched up with cannibalized crappy jeans for patches. With a ruler and chalk pencils you can even go for a decorative look.

why would I want my jeans (and more specifically, the crotch of my jeans) to have decoration

I'll just pay the guy that does it all the time 30 bucks. He doesn't do patching at all, he has some other method which I don't fully understand, but it looks much better than patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gotta give your junk some flair.

While you're patching them up with some zesty heart pattern fabric, see if your seamster can sew on a pair of TruckNutZ. Then you're ready for a trip to Florida.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

he swaps out your ripped jeans with a newer pair in the same size/style

bonus, he can then sell your old ones and get that authentically distressed markup

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

palindrome posted:

he swaps out your ripped jeans with a newer pair in the same size/style

bonus, he can then sell your old ones and get that authentically distressed markup

This is the twist of a hypothetical Christopher Nolan movie about tailoring

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

euphronius posted:

yes I meant Gap as in the whole Corp with all its lifestyle brands

their jeans are in particular absolute poo poo

Gap used to (10 years ago) make pretty solid dress shirts. Same with BR dress pants. I’d say 5 years ago they went to poo poo in quality. Levi’s still make the best (cheap) jeans I’ve found.

For most clothing, I buy cheap stuff at old navy on sale.

But in general, I also buy a ton of stuff at Costco. Usually about one item of clothing every five months or so. Boxers and socks being the exception of course

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Uniqlo is pretty nice. I can get good skinny jeans that fit my 6'6" rear end that are sometimes on sale for :20bux:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Thanatosian posted:

I was talking about services you can get (housecleaners, landscapers, etc.) with a couple of friends, and I mentioned not feeling justified in getting laundry service because it's relatively expensive and easy for me to do myself. The woman I was talking to asked "what do you do about garments with special wash instructions?" and all three of the dudes there were like "what do you do about what? We do not understand."

you mean like wool or athletic wear? lmao do you just wear sweatpants and t-shirts everywhere?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
no they just wash everything together all the time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lately I just shop at Primark where jeans are like $16

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

Failed Imagineer posted:

my 6'6" rear end

Good heavens.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i just wear skirts, problem solved

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lady Gagazula posted:

Good heavens.

Yeah it's a *big rear end*

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it's a *big rear end*

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Precisely

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

you mean like wool or athletic wear? lmao do you just wear sweatpants and t-shirts everywhere?

No sweatpants, but Dockers, cargo shorts, and button up short-sleeve shirts. For athletic wear, I usually just wear basketball shorts and at-shirt... Is that unusual? I also have a couple of jackets.

Plus a suit, but that needs to be dry-cleaned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the one thing we've glossed over entirely is the fact that washing and drying bras is different than most clothes.

heck I do laundry in my house and my wife has special lil cages her bras go into before washing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

the one thing we've glossed over entirely is the fact that washing and drying bras is different than most clothes.

heck I do laundry in my house and my wife has special lil cages her bras go into before washing.

Nah, just put them in a bag so the straps don't get caught in other clothes. They wash the same.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'll defer to somebody with boobs because I just wash em and dry em the way she requests.

all I'm saying is you can't just toss them in the washer

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Uniqlo is pretty nice. I can get good skinny jeans that fit my 6'6" rear end that are sometimes on sale for :20bux:

yeah I'm sure $20 jeans will last a long time

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

used jeans rule because you know someone already beat the hell out of em and they're still standing strong.

just buy someone's fart library and be done with it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i like how originally levi’s used to literally riveted for strength, but people also kept burning their scrotums when they sat too close to the fire because of the heat radiation

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

that's a feature not a bug

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

i like how originally levi’s used to literally riveted for strength, but people also kept burning their scrotums when they sat too close to the fire because of the heat radiation

Levis also used to have a selvedge until around the mid 20th century where cheaper stitching options were introduced, this is why selvedge is a big thing in higher end denim

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I cant wear jeans anymore because of that gurglespurts story

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Googled ‘gurglespurts’ amd immediately realized I did not want to know more

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh wow family poop jeans what the HECK

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Googled ‘gurglespurts’ amd immediately realized I did not want to know more

oh no

oh no

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

the sisterhood of the traveling diarrhea jeans

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Danaru posted:

I cant wear jeans anymore because of that gurglespurts story

mother of god. it's beautiful

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just sort of stopped wearing jeans when I realized (Daddishly) how comfortable khakis were compared to them.

Now I just wear khakis, some of which are faded, paint splattered, and beat to poo poo like jeans

That being said, I did see a pair of Levi's 90's Jeans that I am mad at myself for not buying.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Idk if I am too late for buying from Amazon chat but... When I was younger and had less money I fought anyone who opened their mouths to me about that voting with your wallet poo poo. I know my not buying something at Walmart etc will literally not affect them, but it sure as poo poo affected me. Having to make a decision to buy from a lovely company but have more money available to eat at the end of the week was a no brainer.

Now I am more comfy and my head is above water and I feel like I can afford the luxury of abstaining from supporting these companies. I can wait longer for deliveries, and I can afford to pay extra for shipping, or shop around, and it feels good to actively take that stance even if it is not materially effective. It helps me keep my head on straight and it's an interesting exercise.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AxGrap posted:

Idk if I am too late for buying from Amazon chat but... When I was younger and had less money I fought anyone who opened their mouths to me about that voting with your wallet poo poo. I know my not buying something at Walmart etc will literally not affect them, but it sure as poo poo affected me. Having to make a decision to buy from a lovely company but have more money available to eat at the end of the week was a no brainer.

Now I am more comfy and my head is above water and I feel like I can afford the luxury of abstaining from supporting these companies. I can wait longer for deliveries, and I can afford to pay extra for shipping, or shop around, and it feels good to actively take that stance even if it is not materially effective. It helps me keep my head on straight and it's an interesting exercise.

The way i think about it is that it may not hurt amazon, but it certainly helps the local person.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

AxGrap posted:

I'm never upset at someone having to buy cheap stuff due to financial hardship. It is with the money to vote with their wallet voting for lovely companies that annoys me. Especially when they admit said company is evil.

I worked as post office delivery driver. The richer the neighbor the more poo poo they buy off Amazon. It wasn't usually to deliver 3-4 boxes to a house in a day and then do it again a week later.

I haven't used Amazon in like 5 years and it honestly has not been an issue for me. Though I do live in a larger city. I can usually order straight from the company website for the same price.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I just sort of stopped wearing jeans when I realized (Daddishly) how comfortable khakis were compared to them.

Now I just wear khakis, some of which are faded, paint splattered, and beat to poo poo like jeans

That being said, I did see a pair of Levi's 90's Jeans that I am mad at myself for not buying.

once you start to walk the path of a dad, you understand why so many dads before you walked that same path.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Get you some stretch fit pants from old navy (dri fit or something). Have a more khaki/dress look but way more comfortable.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Slim fit chinos in all the colours of the rainbow

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Shwqa posted:

I'm never upset at someone having to buy cheap stuff due to financial hardship. It is with the money to vote with their wallet voting for lovely companies that annoys me. Especially when they admit said company is evil.

I worked as post office delivery driver. The richer the neighbor the more poo poo they buy off Amazon. It wasn't usually to deliver 3-4 boxes to a house in a day and then do it again a week later.

I haven't used Amazon in like 5 years and it honestly has not been an issue for me. Though I do live in a larger city. I can usually order straight from the company website for the same price.

I do totally agree that if you have the means you should try to avoid using Amazon and Walmart and McDonald's etc. It's good for your soul!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/adsumforwomen/status/1407784195326369795

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

lol it looks like garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005