Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I am hype for both these shows: https://gizmodo.com/big-mouth-spinoff-human-resources-reveals-its-monstrous-1847095564

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

If that's the end of Final Space...so be it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Photex posted:

Definitely one Hail Mary of a climax.

Really good though, just well put together and minimal shittyness. And the episode made me feel happy to see Tribor for once, something i never thought would happen.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
they could probably finish it up in one movie or season, but yeah, that kind of feels like it could just be it.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

All three sound like they could have the potential to be amazing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://youtu.be/hnQOO8Y1Ck0

4 part miniseries on adult swim of a Junji Ito manga. Out October 2022.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 16, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://youtu.be/hnQOO8Y1Ck0

4 part miniseries on adult swim of a Junji Ito manga. Out October 2022.

I’m entranced by the complexity of the hair, how the hell are they pulling that off? Can they really be drawing it that complex for every new frame?!!?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

I’m entranced by the complexity of the hair, how the hell are they pulling that off? Can they really be drawing it that complex for every new frame?!!?

Looks like it's CG, so I assume that makes it easier.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always have to imagine there's some rotoscoping happening on stuff like that, right? I mean there's only so much James Baxter to go around in the world

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Japanese animation and illustration has always been the world epicenter of crunch culture, so I have to assume it looks this good because of a lot of 70 hour work weeks

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Looks like it's CG, so I assume that makes it easier.

I framed through it though and its weird, some things, like the bag, stay really consistent in volume and appear CG-ish. But when she walks, the feet change volume enough that it either has to be hand drawn or they're applying a jitter filter on the CG lines that mess with them a bit to create the illusion of imperfect volume preservation. It being in black and white probably helps, but if it is CG it's the best application of CG in anime I've ever seen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

I framed through it though and its weird, some things, like the bag, stay really consistent in volume and appear CG-ish. But when she walks, the feet change volume enough that it either has to be hand drawn or they're applying a jitter filter on the CG lines that mess with them a bit to create the illusion of imperfect volume preservation. It being in black and white probably helps, but if it is CG it's the best application of CG in anime I've ever seen.

I suspect it's something like that. The feet seem to glide a little too easily when morphing in size; it's a bit freaky, actually, and you can see how it's an effect they'll employ for maximal queasiness.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Photex posted:

Noooooo.... I recently found this show and have become semi obsessed by it.

Photex posted:

I've enjoyed this entire season but the latest episode was a gut punch.

I really liked Season 1 and 2 but Season 3 made me love this show. Kinda funny not many outside my stoner circle talk about it. Is it definitely done? No idea why I dug this show so much but I do. Hoping they keep this character progression going for at least a couple more seasons. I have the same feels for this show I did for Farscape in my youth and absolutely love the places this season went. I mean.... if it has to end then it is a good enough ending but I want more. This, Harley Quinn and Primal are my favourite new toons.

On a not strange note: been introducing someone to Adventure Time and I like how they wrote it off at first but, at the end of season 1, asking when we are watching season two. I sense a fellow convert soon and can't wait till they hit the middle seasons and later. Already caught her singing the ending credits theme - though that is monstrously catchy.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 16, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DogsInSpace! posted:

Noooooo.... I recently found this show and have become semi obsessed by it.

I really liked Season 1 and 2 but Season 3 made me love this show. Kinda funny not many outside my stoner circle talk about it. Is it definitely done?

No, and I'd put decent money on it getting a fourth season. I suspect the lag in renewal is down to HBO Max and Adult Swim fighting over content.

DogsInSpace! posted:

I have the same feels for this show I did for Farscape

Gotta believe there's some ntentional homage, given the casting of Claudia Black as the first gen Goodspeed.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, and I'd put decent money on it getting a fourth season. I suspect the lag in renewal is down to HBO Max and Adult Swim fighting over content.

Gotta believe there's some intentional homage, given the casting of Claudia Black as the first gen Goodspeed.

Yay and agreed. There are definitely elements of Farscape (and Guardians of the Galaxy to a far lesser extent); especially, in the things things just keep getting worse and worse but still keeping a glimmer of hope. I keep expecting someone to say "oh what the gently caress now?!?" Good mix of humour and tragedy. RIP Bolo

Really want to see where Ash goes as her and Fox's story have been good drama. Also Invictus using an zombie army of the Garys (that have failed to defeat Invictus before) is loving metal. Almost want someone to steal this idea for a live action sci fi as that would be legit horror. Good show.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 17, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Adult Swim premiered the first episode of Rick and Morty's fifth season on Youtube. It features a very lazy Aquaman parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYCEXg4_lCM

The high concept stuff of Morty going back fortieth to a dimension where time runs faster is actually good but the stuff with this off brand Namor is Family Guy levels of unfunny.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure he's specifically Namor, complete with Rick being the standin for Reed Richards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“A very lazy Aquaman parody”

lmao, tell me your a zoomer without telling me your a zoomer

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Bust Rodd posted:

“A very lazy Aquaman parody”

lmao, tell me your a zoomer without telling me your a zoomer

I was born in 81 bro.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

side_burned posted:

I was born in 81 bro.

drat, that’s wild! I really never thought of Namor as being underground or particularly unpopular, then again I guess my dad was really into Thor and Namor and maybe we just had these comics around? I dunno, I always thought Namor was a bigger deal. This episode was great!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

drat, that’s wild! I really never thought of Namor as being underground or particularly unpopular, then again I guess my dad was really into Thor and Namor and maybe we just had these comics around? I dunno, I always thought Namor was a bigger deal. This episode was great!

It's always weird to discover what pieces of popular culture you thought were well known by your entire generation just completely passed a lot of people by, and what well known popular culture thing you yourself somehow went decades not knowing.

I loved the episode but I feel like a lot of enjoyment of it hinges on whether or not you know who Namor is and that Richard Reeds of the Fantastic Four has a rivalry with a sexy fish man who wants to bone his wife (and his wife is NOT opposed to that).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really, really don’t think you need any of the references to think the horny and rude fish man is funny. Like, that character is just as objectively silly and weird as Reverse Giraffe or Abradolf Lincler.

Also whether or not you are aware of Namor doesn’t really dictate if you’ll find his dance moves or behavior or his police powers funny, those are all original R&M ideas.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815682

Here’s the R&M thread, which is pretty chill and a couple of the shows animators are actually goons and post really awesome BTS stuff about designing props or whatever for the show.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 23, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mr nimbus felt like a 6/10 joke with an 8/10 execution. It was fine but not really stand out, I would've like the character a lot more if his involvement in the episode was the same as, say, one of the wacky characters they made up for the heist episode

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Episode was fun. I can always rely on Rick and Morty to be entertaining even though I'm not a huge fan.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
!!!!! https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1407820816855691272?s=21

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That “201” has me even more excited than I was already.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Miracles do happen.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I'd be more excited of it was season 2 of Undergrads.

Oh, and if this was 2004.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mycomancy posted:

I'd be more excited of it was season 2 of Undergrads.

Oh, and if this was 2004.

That's a show I haven't thought of in a long time. I don't want to rewatch and destroy my nostalgia for it. I feel like it didn't age well.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Clone High was so good but I'm hesitant about the reboot. I'm trying to think of good reboots.........

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

1992-93 failed competitors with The Simpsons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_Police_(TV_series) - page says some critic thought it had too little plot, too many fish puns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Critters - liberal after-school special lecturing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Dog_(TV_series)#CBS_series - how did Brad Bird and Steven Spielberg create something that sounds so terrible

I won't take the time to actually watch any of these, just saw Capitol Critters posted on some forum with old cartoons

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

galenanorth posted:

how did Brad Bird and Steven Spielberg create something that sounds so terrible

In Brad Bird's defense, while he created the original short (which was actually really good), he had no involvement in the actual series other than getting a "created by" credit.

Spielberg was riding high from the success of Tiny Toons, so it made sense that he tried to branch out to adult animation. It, uh, didn't go well. The show had a difficult production, to say the least.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

limp_cheese posted:

That's a show I haven't thought of in a long time. I don't want to rewatch and destroy my nostalgia for it. I feel like it didn't age well.

It hold up surprisingly well, and it's fun to see the late 90s/early aughts zeitgeist in full display

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
The new series of Central Park, the Bobs Burgers-esque musical, started a couple of days ago. Three new episodes to start us off.
I don’t think the last series was super popular, but I really enjoyed it on the whole. The three new episode were… okay. They are definitely going for much more episodic feel, while the last series made it very clear from the start that it was an ongoing plot. And I live for musicals where characters just sing about their plans and dreams, way harder to do meaningfully in an episodic format.

The first episode of the three, with New Jersey and the secret role card game, was my least favourite of the three. It’s harder to care about Bitsi’s business antics when it’s not linking in with the family, and the card game ‘twist’ was obvious which made that feel quite meandering too.

But the second episode was better, and the third episode was like actually good.

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 27, 2021

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Besides I guess Bojack (which I haven't tried watching yet) and the new season of Rick & Morty, are there any newer mean-spirited/cynical/depressing animated shows worth checking out? I'm still trying to fill a Moral Orel-shaped hole in my heart.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
F is for Family sounds like the show for you.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

just another posted:

Besides I guess Bojack (which I haven't tried watching yet) and the new season of Rick & Morty, are there any newer mean-spirited/cynical/depressing animated shows worth checking out? I'm still trying to fill a Moral Orel-shaped hole in my heart.

If you don't mind reading your cartoons I suggest checking out the comic Megg Mogg and Owl.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If you don't mind reading your cartoons I suggest checking out the comic Megg Mogg and Owl.

What the gently caress. That's certainly a departure from the source material.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

What the gently caress. That's certainly a departure from the source material.

Megg Mogg and Owl is in fact a parody of that exact thing! Basically imagine that but with more drugs, sex, and 29 year olds in a state of existential dread

Also werewolf Jones is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

just another posted:

Gary And His Demons a million times.

Also seconding Megg, Mogg & Owl, the best ongoing comic today. (:nws: Example here.)
The COVID arc is the best they've ever done and the definitive time-capsule of this period. (Also very :nws:)

Both lean closer to Bojack where even at their worst there's still an element of heart, sincerity, and sympathy for the characters. And then if you want a non-animated show without any of that there's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.