Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

That's not a shocking take from the Savage Dragon creator.

Image Comics was born out of the movement of high profile workers in the comics industry embracing a petite bourgeois formulation of "creator's rights" after attempts at unionizing workers at DC and Marvel failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a lot of indie creative types with ostensibly lib/lefty views turn into absolute raving rightwing lunatics the moment intellectual property "crimes" come up

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well, when you're a solo creator and not really making anything and you find your work extensively pirated, it kind of leaves a mark :shrug:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I try to avoid pirating stuff from tiny creators for that reason yeah, but if folks try to shame me for yoinking the latest release of Big Artist Here or Triple A Game Studio's Thing they can get bent

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this the Savage Dragon guy or the HH Holmes detective novel guy?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kitfox88 posted:

I try to avoid pirating stuff from tiny creators for that reason yeah, but if folks try to shame me for yoinking the latest release of Big Artist Here or Triple A Game Studio's Thing they can get bent

yeah these aren't the same thing at all, I agree

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is this the Savage Dragon guy or the HH Holmes detective novel guy?

Savage Dragon guy, the devil in the white city guy is Larson

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
at least with video games it helps that the smaller the team usually the lower the price tag

but ya, EA and poo poo lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1407272461431934976?s=20

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

Well, when you're a solo creator and not really making anything and you find your work extensively pirated, it kind of leaves a mark :shrug:

This is especially bad with smaller publisher comics, image books make next to nothing according to a friend who used to work there, unless you're one of the big two or three titles. Like walking dead made money, but black science probably made jack poo poo. It only gets worse as you go down the chain, even setting aside the exploitation on the part of the bosses.

Fake edit unsurprisingly there's a huge history of smaller publishers not paying creators. Marvel and DC had and have issues with workers rights and creators rights but they at least sign the loving checks.

Josh Christ has issued a correction as of 11:21 on Jun 22, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Don't Michelin star restaurants usually do unpaid internships? lol

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is a classless condition that still applies even to gangsterism. The mafia could never really claim territory because it was technically an illegal organization, but they could establish a parasitic relationship with farmers, landowners, and the bourgeois through racketeering. All other criminal enterprise operates in a similar deterritorialized state where the possibility of political power is pre-empted, and the only object of action is to score more money. The Mob may be able to influence politics and politicians, but they can never truly take political power and command the state - which was the root of their conflict with the Kennedies.

What changes when organized crime outfits get enough guns and organization to start fielding private armies that can openly and blatantly challenge state power ala Mexico? They own legit businesses and territories by taking them over by force, i.e. lime fields. I feel there's something there that changed, or escalated, when the state monopoly on violence was openly and obviously broken. There's some uh, pokevolution that goes from gang to syndicate to militia to feudal power, and I guess ends with control of the state, or its replacement.

Nothing like this happened in the U.S. because the U.S. gov't is anomalously good at stomping on everything that can challenge authority in a way most nations cannot.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 12:08 on Jun 22, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Ronwayne posted:

What changes when organized crime outfits get enough guns and organization to start fielding private armies that can openly and blatantly challenge state power ala Mexico? They own legit businesses and territories by taking them over by force, i.e. lime fields. I feel there's something there that changed, or escalated, when the state monopoly on violence was openly and obviously broken. There's some uh, pokevolution that goes from gang to syndicate to militia to feudal power, and I guess ends with control of the state, or its replacement.

Nothing like this happened in the U.S. because the U.S. gov't is anomalously good at stomping on everything that can challenge authority in a way most nations cannot.

I guess the extra ingredient here is that to have state power you also need to attain some level of legitimacy, which is recognition from other states of your power and sovereignty. So long as you can only rule de facto but not de jure, you'll be cut off from being able to participate fully in the world market system. Your lines of credit will be limited by the risk assessments of first world banks much moreso than a regular impoverished government, and you can't have diplomacy. You're still missing a lot of the factors that enable states to take direction of political economy, and you're operating outside of it still even if you are effectively running legitimate businesses through one massive protection racket.

I dunno for sure if there's ever been such a thing as a full narco state, because it's ultimately not worth it to try and overthrow the government from the perspective of gangster lumpen. Their biggest profits are made from illegal trades, and becoming the legal authority cuts into their margins too much. They suddenly have to accept a burden of responsibility which they simply aren't interested in meeting. There are plenty of places where the police & military have no power, but at some level the government is still maintaining a presence. Becoming territorialized can only ever be an extreme exception in the world as it is, and if you do then there's a ceiling to how much power you can effectively wield or even want to.

This is all before we have even reached the truly Big Filter, which is that the War on Drugs being directed by the 1st World gives it an excuse to invade you once you've overthrown a way weaker government to transform a country into a narco state. We overthrew Noriega on a way flimsier but similar pretext.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I dunno, it seems that prior to the modern period, there were lots of lumpen-adventurers that seized control of state or sub-state level polities and were able to get recognition in one form or another. I guess it'd take an implosion of the modern concept and function of a nation-state, but well, lots of things right now seem more fragile than they were 20 years ago during the end-of-history.

To go back, to the lumpen definition, i'd argue we'd need to confine it to poor people preying on poor or get a term for that more specific than "rear end in a top hat" or "class traitor", the fact that lumpenprole is almost a sneer makes it seem like insulting the already victimized when leftists treat them as actively hostile and a threat to things getting better.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 13:04 on Jun 22, 2021

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/blakeflayton/status/1407164115253071872?s=21

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ronwayne posted:

To go back, to the lumpen definition, i'd argue we'd need to confine it to poor people preying on poor or get a term for that more specific than "rear end in a top hat" or "class traitor", the fact that lumpenprole is almost a sneer makes it seem like insulting the already victimized when leftists treat them as actively hostile and a threat to things getting better.

Yeah i think the sort of broader definition is better just described as the reserve army of labor, since that also implies that it's about the capitalists having no use for them rather than some sort of moral failing

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

force jews to relinquish their national pride? hang on now isn't it antisemitism to conflate israel and jews?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

what?

WHAT?!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I've never heard the term pink washing in my life. And I've been around some insufferable progressives in the last few years.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/vlotero/status/1407472992481800192
Behold the labyrinth of takes!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I can't believe the Grayzone and SA are both more centrist and more reliable than Wonkette!

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/palmerreport/status/1407493225607274497

Imagine getting owned by bill Palmer

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LionArcher posted:

I've never heard the term pink washing in my life. And I've been around some insufferable progressives in the last few years.

pinkwashing usually means poo poo like a corporation making some pointless symbolic gesture as if that's a sign of moral and virtue while still doing evil poo poo. It kinda started being a 'thing' when talking about Komen for the Cure poo poo like painting a literal fracking machine pink during breast cancer month, and since then it's become 'rainbow washing' for pride poo poo and I've seen 'black washing' for 'here at Capital One we believe in BLM' poo poo.

I...have no idea what that freak's talking about.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I love how the US is so tainted with rightwing politics that people actually believe cnn, msnbc etc (or any corporate news org) is "left"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

sexpig by night posted:

pinkwashing usually means poo poo like a corporation making some pointless symbolic gesture as if that's a sign of moral and virtue while still doing evil poo poo. It kinda started being a 'thing' when talking about Komen for the Cure poo poo like painting a literal fracking machine pink during breast cancer month, and since then it's become 'rainbow washing' for pride poo poo and I've seen 'black washing' for 'here at Capital One we believe in BLM' poo poo.

I...have no idea what that freak's talking about.

I think what he’s referring to is that people try to tout Israel as a progressive and accepting country with regard to LGBT issues, to contrast it against its neighbors, in a bid to get LGBT westerners to see Israel as the “good guy”; he thinks this is good and right, and that LGBT Jews should all be proud of “their country” and support whatever other poo poo it’s doing

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pirate Radar posted:

I think what he’s referring to is that people try to tout Israel as a progressive and accepting country with regard to LGBT issues, to contrast it against its neighbors, in a bid to get LGBT westerners to see Israel as the “good guy”; he thinks this is good and right, and that LGBT Jews should all be proud of “their country” and support whatever other poo poo it’s doing

ooooh

hey fun game with those guys, ask where he suggests us gays get married in Israel

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
my deep shame (one of many) is that i invited an Israeli trans guy to do pinkwashing to my student org

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

thatfatkid posted:

I love how the US is so tainted with rightwing politics that people actually believe cnn, msnbc etc (or any corporate news org) is "left"

Tainted doesn't go quite far enough. It's baked in the whole way through

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

who knew the more centrist your reporting is the more fact based it is! like a natural law

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I get all my news from the perfectly centered Daily Mail

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lol Greenwald right under Quilette

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rockit posted:

Behold the labyrinth of takes!

i like how centrist media is super objective except daily mail

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

thatfatkid posted:

A big chunk of America is so far to the right that the left, the center, and the moderate right are all just indistinguishable dots on the horizon.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

The brit milah makes a visual mark of the Abrahamic covenant, intended to distinguish the Jewish people. Gentiles getting circumcised is thus antisemitic stolen valor.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

paul_soccer12 posted:

who knew the more centrist your reporting is the more fact based it is! like a natural law

we love our collection of dead facts, don't we folks?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Truga posted:

i like how centrist media is super objective except daily mail
having never heard of the Free Thought Project, what the gently caress are they lmao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ewansomerville/status/1406511004939427844?s=20
https://twitter.com/ewansomerville/status/1406593436246028289?s=20

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The big issue seems to be that the UK has some supremely archaic divorce laws.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
how dare u silence the voices of the poor aggrieved women of TERF Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

christmas boots posted:

The big issue seems to be that the UK has some supremely archaic divorce laws.

You'd think Boris would be for passing no-fault divorce given how often he needs one.