Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Another victim of the underfunded prison system. Pay 👏 Guards 👏 Better 👏 Wages 👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stuff like this is always pretty sobering. Hard to believe that a fighter as talented as McAfee could be done in by the scourge of depression. Really reminds you that it can happen to anyone.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bring it in, guys!

Every epstein brained poster comes in for a HUGE party

nut
Jul 30, 2019

handing out cups of kool aid at the mcafee epstein thread wake but everyone keeps interrupting me to tell me "you know it was Flavor Aid, right?"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

oh im starting to get p. excited john mcafee has setup a show for us

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The guy who developed an ANTIVIRUS dies just as a VIRUS is sweeping the globe

Huh

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

The guy who developed an ANTIVIRUS dies just as a VIRUS is sweeping the globe

Huh

not at all inconsistent with how McAfee software worked

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so what happens now? he surely had a dead man's switch

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

well, the switch may've been the q post lol

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

remember when the panama papers dropped and how big that was?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

DOMELORD420 posted:

well, the switch may've been the q post lol

lmao

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

how much q stuff was macaffee talking about before he died? I don't remember him being much into it but I'm not really paying attention to him generally

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
mcafee... was Q?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1137777348919681024

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

rip

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

MysteriousStranger posted:

McAfee you nutty bastard

I heard he was more briny

edit: above post would have been funnier if he bragged about reintroducing syphilis to Cuba

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

I'm completely conjuring up fantasy stuff here, but if McAfee turned out to be Q, it would be a massive, unbelievable level of journalistic malpractice going on at all levels. am I wrong in thinking that it was never suggested by ANYONE that McAfee is Q? it doesn't track at all from what I've read

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
No I don't remember anyone seriously saying he was Q.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1407803770847834122?s=19

also, lol

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
I don't really understand computer security, antivirus software, PROMIS, or anything at all really, so please take this with a massive pinch of salt:

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1137777348919681024?s=19

I'm thinking about this tweet, specifically in reference to the 31 terabytes of "files on corruption in governments" he claims to have collected. Wasn't McAfee one of the first antivirus guys? Like this is just me completely speculating, but is it possible that he was using his antivirus software to harvest a fuckload of data from (influential / powerful / rich) people's computers before most laymen had any real idea about how computer security really worked?

Basically, could this have been some kind of PROMIS/Inslaw type thing? And was that tweet a threat, and could the release of these files be a deadman's switch? I can't stop thinking about Epstein, Maxwell, PROMIS etc. in relation to all of this, I don't know why...

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

multistability posted:

I don't really understand computer security, antivirus software, PROMIS, or anything at all really, so please take this with a massive pinch of salt:

I'm thinking about this tweet, specifically in reference to the 31 terabytes of "files on corruption in governments" he claims to have collected. Wasn't McAfee one of the first antivirus guys? Like this is just me completely speculating, but is it possible that he was using his antivirus software to harvest a fuckload of data from (influential / powerful / rich) people's computers before most laymen had any real idea about how computer security really worked?

Basically, could this have been some kind of PROMIS/Inslaw type thing? And was that tweet a threat, and could the release of these files be a deadman's switch? I can't stop thinking about Epstein, Maxwell, PROMIS etc. in relation to all of this, I don't know why...

I see what you're saying, but it's more likely someone just sent him information rather than him being a hyper genius info hacker. the guy was a nutjob crypto millionaire, not Neo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

He loads the bullet into the revolver and spins the cylinder. "This scares you, right?" he says. Then he puts the gun to his head. My heart rate kicks up. "Yeah, I'm scared," I admit. "We don't have to do this." "I know we don't," he says, the muzzle pressed against his temple. And then he pulls the trigger.

Nothing happens. He pulls it three more times in rapid succession.

There are only five chambers. "Reholster the gun," I demand.

He keeps his eyes fixed on me and pulls the trigger a fifth time. Still nothing. With the gun still to his head, he starts pulling the trigger incessantly. "I can do this all day long," he says to the sound of the hammer clicking. "I can do this ten thousand times. Nothing will ever happen. Why? Because you have missed something. You are operating on an assumption about reality that is wrong."

[...]

When I tell him that the locals I spoke to can remember only two murders in the past three years, he argues that I'm not asking the right questions. To illustrate his point, he takes out his pistol. "Let's do this one more time," he says, and puts it to his head.

Another round of Russian roulette. Just as before, he pulls the trigger repeatedly and nothing happens. "It is a real gun. It has a real bullet in one chamber," he says. And yet, he points out, my assumptions have proven faulty. I'm missing something.

The same is true, he argues, with Carmelita. I'm not seeing the world as he sees it. He opens the door to the bungalow, aims the gun at the sand outside and pulls the trigger. A gunshot punctures the sound of the wind and waves. "You thought you were creating your reality," he says. "You were not. I was."
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/dangerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HBBf_eDLM

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i know we're friends having fun here, but that instagram account is clearly fan run if you go back a few posts

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

DOMELORD420 posted:

I see what you're saying, but it's more likely someone just sent him information rather than him being a hyper genius info hacker. the guy was a nutjob crypto millionaire, not Neo.

Right, but didn't he make most of his money by developing one of the first antivirus programs and selling it on to Intel for a few billion dollars?

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

multistability posted:

Right, but didn't he make most of his money by developing one of the first antivirus programs and going on to sell it to Intel for a few billion dollars?

sure, but that was before the internet was The Internet and whatnot. he didn't become The John McAfee, insane information broker, until like 2010. I see what you're going for, but it really is more likely he fell into information (if any even exists) well after he made the sale

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

McAfee was an insane and evil person, make no mistake. He just wasn't "Insanely Evil".

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

nut posted:

handing out cups of kool aid at the mcafee epstein thread wake but everyone keeps interrupting me to tell me "you know it was Flavor Aid, right?"

I wonder if the koolaid company men considered it a win for their brand that they got the glory

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

god dammit. okay, he may or may not have killed himself, but this is totally to gently caress with everyone and i kinda hate him for it

Mola Yam posted:

i know we're friends having fun here, but that instagram account is clearly fan run if you go back a few posts

oh phew, still though

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

multistability posted:

Right, but didn't he make most of his money by developing one of the first antivirus programs and selling it on to Intel for a few billion dollars?

at a time you could hack whatever with just a web browser and a knowledge of SQL

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

multistability posted:

The Praetorians were real

π

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
killing myself in prison, as a bit

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:nsa:

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Marzzle posted:

at a time you could hack whatever with just a web browser and a knowledge of SQL

Sure, but then couldn't his whole shtick have been "Hey, your computer with all your precious files on it is extremely easy to hack! Install my software on it which will make it impossible to hack!" and then he just siphons all the data anyway?

Idk, I don't really have a clue about anything IT-related, just cracking and pinging in the Epstein thread

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Who antiviruses the antivirus?

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Kaspersky

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/s4m31p4n/status/1407215814462296064

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sandra bland, jeffrey epstein, and john mcaffee...always in 3s...

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

multistability posted:

I would believe it. The difference between McAffee and modern malware is that these days the malware people actually remove it if you pay them.

Which leads to the obvious question - what does this mean for Bitcoin?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

I would believe it. The difference between McAffee and modern malware is that these days the malware people actually remove it if you pay them.

Which leads to the obvious question - what does this mean for Bitcoin?

isnt mcafee antivirus explicitly shipping bitcoin mining software with the antivirus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
the psychosphere is absolutely roiling