Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

There’s a very easy solution to working less than 40 hours a day :v:

"All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well Google has what they call "20% time" where you kind of get to do independent, self directed study and play "tooling engineer" in your spare time, or Accidentally A Google Wave a product, which "__ insert discussion about dead products and how they relate to career progession inside the company __" maybe you're mixing up 20% time with "just work 32 hours a week and see what happens"

/Wanders off to another thread to wax poetic some more

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 16, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

they literally tell you in onboarding that using 20% time for stuff that isn't in your OKRs is probably a bad idea

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
At least they are honest? :v:

I will never forget a very painful 30 minutes of MS onboarding with HR, where the HR rep was talking up how MS doesn't do stack ranking (anymore), unlike "some other companies", and went to great lengths to never mention MS without also saying that they don't do stack ranking.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The punchline being that they kinda do still do stack ranking?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Dunno, I left before probationary period ended, because holy gently caress MS is institutionally incompetent and too many (i.e. more than 1) of my coworkers were ok with that.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Guinness posted:

Sounds like the solution is sadly what I suspected, phone it in just enough to keep collecting paychecks and vests until it's time to bounce entirely. Corporate america sure is great.

Perhaps I'll probe my current managers a bit, but I don't expect much positive reception. The pandemic burnout is real and it sucks that companies won't make exceptional efforts to counteract exceptional stresses. Just going back to "normal", even if remote, isn't enough to make up for the past year+.

The number of people handing in their resignations lately definitely feels like it has increased, and I think it's just going to get worse the rest of the year as we all reevaluate things.

Edit: Maybe I'm just having a bad case of the Mondays today. I might be making it sound worse than it is.

I agree, pandemic burnout is definitely real. I'm feeling it, and I was full time remote _before_ the pandemic. Not having occasional shakeups to visit offices, etc, makes a huge difference.

I will say I've been really impressed with how my employer has dealt with it; a couple years ago we switched from fixed PTO (I had 25 days/year) to "flexible time off", which I had all the normal issues with, though didn't have any problems with personally and told myself I would make sure I took at least 25 days off under the new policy. Recently, management/HR apparently determined that folks weren't taking enough time off, either by looking through time off data, or hearing about burnout from managers, or both, and announced a summer time off initiative to get folks to take time off and recharge. Everyone would have a discussion with their manager to plan out how they were going to take additional time off through the summer (and really into the fall), on top of the normal expected "flexible time off", and the guidance they gave was, like (from memory so not exactly right):
- take every Friday off and then a couple week long vacations
- take a few 2-3 week vacations
- take every other Friday off along with a few 1-2 week vacations
I'm going with every Friday off since I've got kids in preschool so that'll give me freedom to spend an entire work-hours-day once a week however I'd like, which is just fantastic, and actually going on vacations with two toddlers is exhausting. This is on top of a policy introduced earlier in the pandemic where Fridays should be free of meetings and folks should feel free to take it as a half day anytime.

My point here is not (well, not only) to boast, but to highlight that not only is burnout real, but at least some companies recognize that and try to do something about it. I have no idea how rare it is, but I'd encourage folks to strongly consider using their leverage to see if you can find a company that handles poo poo like this better if you feel like you're burned out and have no options for remediating that in your current job.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
I'm interest in a new career in programming, mostly sideline/part-time. Here's the situation I'm currently in is thus:

I have not touched software development in twenty years. I used to do Web stuff. I'm proficient in Perl and in the HTML of the late '90s. I am not entirely ignorant of PHP, but again, decades out of date. I could pick up similar languages and markup easily enough, I'm sure. JavaScript, in my time, was just the sugar atop of HTML. Too few people had it to rely on it. CoffeeScript and anything else that complies to JavaScript, I know of them, but there my knowledge ends.

On the not-Web site, I know Turbo C rather well. C++ and x86 assembly were my focus in college but nowadays look mostly line noise to me. I'm sure I could pick it up quickly enough -- though I'd rather stick to the elegance and simplicity of plain C.

Personally, I know enough C# to do what I need it to do in writing my own programs, although in most cases I just whip up a Perl script. I'm also familiar with 6502 assembly -- I use it to screw around in Atari 2600 development. I've been playing around learning Cobol just for shits and giggles.

I've zero programming job experience in the field in last two decades.

I've no interest whatever in relocating for and in-person job. I live in rural Maine and I like it here. So, any of this would needs be online.

What education (online) would be advisable? What prospects have I even with it?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

PersonFromPorlock posted:

What education (online) would be advisable? What prospects have I even with it?

Would you be okay with web development? If so, start from the beginning with http://freecodecamp.org/learn/. It covers pretty much everything you need.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
And if, like a sane person, you recoil in horror from the modern web ecosystem, embedded sounds like a potential route to go. Don’t really know of any good resources for that off the top of my head though.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

chglcu posted:

And if, like a sane person, you recoil in horror from the modern web ecosystem, embedded sounds like a potential route to go. Don’t really know of any good resources for that off the top of my head though.

Would it be easy to get in the market with (basically) no experience and remote-only?
I don't know jackshit about Real Programming but I've always been interested in it. Always assumed that having a compsci degree was a hard requirement so I never even bothered looking into it.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

marumaru posted:

Would it be easy to get in the market with (basically) no experience and remote-only?
I don't know jackshit about Real Programming but I've always been interested in it. Always assumed that having a compsci degree was a hard requirement so I never even bothered looking into it.

I honestly don’t know much about the area, but the C and past assembly work at least seems relevant. I’m sure we have someone around with more direct knowledge who could answer, but I’m guessing it would probably be quite a bit more difficult getting a foot in the door than with web development.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PersonFromPorlock posted:

I've zero programming job experience in the field in last two decades.

What have you been doing in that time?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

marumaru posted:

Quite difficult. But these are desperate times, you might find the spot for it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You might want to look at modern python and play around with Django

Perl and PHP jobs still exist but you're gonna be maintaining zombie legacy code from the turn of the century

Most full time remote jobs I've seen (and I'm in a pretty narrow specialty, so your experiences might vary) are either Python and/or Go, but if you're writing c/c++/c# and perl it shouldn't be much of a stretch to get up to speed in a week or two if you still want to work on websites etc

Embedded sounds like another good option, as someone else pointed out. I dunno how well that works as a full time remote job though

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Sometimes embedded won't work well remote for good reasons (the product you're working on is too large or too expensive to reasonably have prototypes shipped to you, or you don't want to have a minimal electronics lab in your place) and sometimes it won't work well remote for the normal company is full of bullshit reasons but those are omnipresent so whatever. It can work remote though, try finding some stupid iot bullshit because they typically don't do anything interesting and require an internet connection anyway so perfect for working from home and they'll probably pay pretty well. You will probably still need a basic set of jumper wires and a crappy bench supply and a crappy scope and a saleae analyzer and a meter to avoid going insane anyway.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Phobeste posted:

Sometimes embedded won't work well remote for good reasons (the product you're working on is too large or too expensive to reasonably have prototypes shipped to you, or you don't want to have a minimal electronics lab in your place) and sometimes it won't work well remote for the normal company is full of bullshit reasons but those are omnipresent so whatever. It can work remote though, try finding some stupid iot bullshit because they typically don't do anything interesting and require an internet connection anyway so perfect for working from home and they'll probably pay pretty well. You will probably still need a basic set of jumper wires and a crappy bench supply and a crappy scope and a saleae analyzer and a meter to avoid going insane anyway.

This is giving me flashbacks to EE101. Where's the line draw between EE and programming when it comes to embedded positions?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

downout posted:

This is giving me flashbacks to EE101. Where's the line draw between EE and programming when it comes to embedded positions?

Uh I guess it depends what specifically you're working on, embedded is a pretty big tent. Let's say the company wants to make a toaster that you can power from your macbook so you can cook hot pockets while you're in meetings.
- Maybe that's done with a linux soc which is insane overkill except that you can plop some aws thing on it and it talks to the internet real easy and it uses some off the shelf controllers for the heating element and there's no ee stuff at all really because the actual ees tested the off the shelf controller and it all works fine
- Maybe that's done with a microcontroller and a custom designed controller for the heater or whatever. Mostly it's going to be the EEs but when they test things they're doing it with some crappy program and you're actually writing the firmware and you'll want to doublecheck that you're actually setting the duty cycle you say you are, or you'll want to verify how frequently you're running your controller and you'll do it by bouncing a gpio up and down, that's where the cheap scope comes in. Not really doing anything in depth with it but that's how you see signals, you need to see signals, that's it. Then maybe you're having a hell of a time getting your USB stuff working and you need a usb analyzer to see why, maybe there's some led controller for a fancy breathing led when the hot pocket is done that you need to set up an i2c bus on and you use the analyzer... basically it's a really broad but shallow set of one offs that you can usually get around but are much easier if you have like an electronics 101 level of capability and equipment

both of the above are embedded, as is the company that's making a radio or something and suddenly the version of "just enough equipment to get by" is actually a spectrum analyzer and rf isolation boxes and it's quite important to be able to check your signal conditions and also the ee keeps changing the value of the passive networks for impedance matching the antenna a teeny bit and wants you to change out some 0603 resistor so you'll stop making your tv turn on when you send a test message it's super easy you have an iron right? well a rework station would be better... or a company making some weird surprisingly high dynamic range rotating system that uses a weird control algorithm for a bldc motor and you need to be able to use that scope enough to look at the current controller output or whatever. it can scale up. but it can also scale down. it's just that compared to say web development where everything is on the internet as a matter of course, there is a possibility of "no you can't work remote unless you were an ee in a previous life and have a basement shop" or "no you can't work remote this thing weighs a literal ton and you are not allowed to turn it on unless someone else is in the room"

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

like i work on biology lab robots that bounce around between "yeah it's a python server running in docker" or "yeah it's a suite of embedded systems that we have good emualtors for that can run in a docker swarm when you're turning up messages" to the kind of motor control or heater control stuff i mentioned above, the radio example was a thing i did, i did 3d printers that had no emulation and the exact motion parameters were very important to always be testing but it would be reasonable to have one at home. there's somebody in here who works on electric car chargers that similarly are linux systems that could be simulated but at the end of the day it's got to charge a car. the thing with embedded is that when you get right down to it, the code makes something physical happen and at some level you're going to have to eventually test that the physical thing happens correctly and debug why it's not, and sometimes that physical thing isn't something you want at home or something you can reasonably measure without thousands of dollars of test equipment. but sometimes it's fine! Ask a lot of questions in the interview I guess

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

chglcu posted:

Does anyone know any good resources for embedded by any chance? I do hate the web and would like to see if I enjoy the not web any better. I'm mostly a Python guy but I've been doing a bit of Rust lately as well. I've worked a tiny bit on interfacing w/ sensors on a big extruder at a job once and I own a soldering iron and a multimeter but that's about the extent of my exploration into "embedded".

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What is funny to me about embedded and lab stuff is that I would seriously consider working on-site for a place like that which has shown an ability to sustain remote development. It would mean they have their poo poo together and I wouldn't have to constantly hackhackhack.

I remember when some EEs I worked with were considering a direct connection to a hardware PID for thermal control, but the voltage range for the temperature sensor was too low and narrow. I suggested making GBS threads out a basic multiply-add circuit with op-amps and they looked at me like I had grown an anus out of my forehead. I had given them the benefit of the doubt when it came to programming until that happened.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

The March Hare posted:

Does anyone know any good resources for embedded by any chance? I do hate the web and would like to see if I enjoy the not web any better. I'm mostly a Python guy but I've been doing a bit of Rust lately as well. I've worked a tiny bit on interfacing w/ sensors on a big extruder at a job once and I own a soldering iron and a multimeter but that's about the extent of my exploration into "embedded".

I've never really found a good all-in-one guide or anything. I will say it's never been as easy to get started in embedded as it is now because everything is a cortex m-whatever and the world's best compiler for it is gcc; and arduino taking off made it really common for companies to make all-in-one devkits that have on-the-board in-system-programmers that just connect via the usb connector on the board like the stm32 discovery kits and a couple random motor controllers that are on their own little boards so it's actually kind of easy to get a really basic setup going.

the thing is that what embedded day to day consists of is, being honest, probably about 75% by time just normal rear end programming tasks, and the other 25% tends to be picking one or two out of the random hardware capabilities and interfaces that a processor provides and it's hard to predict every last detail of any of them. I guess understanding on a general level how gpios and timers and some common digital buses work, and understanding on a general level a cortex m boot process will certainly be helpful, but i nominally actually got an education focused on this in college and like any other programming thing every single project i've worked on in my career had some weird new thing i had to learn about lol. that's what keeps it fun. but there's not really one spec or method of operation you can learn. for most normal process i find that understanding
- your microcontroller('s architecture's, implementation's, and standard)'s boot sequence, firmware storage, and update methods
- fundamentals of memory mapped io (sounds way scarier than it is)
- fundamentals of gpio circuitry (what's totem-pole, push-pull, open-drain, open-source, how do alternate functions work, all at a really basic functional level without getting into the physics of transistors); fundamentals of digital logic and the language around it so you can understand what active-low and active-high means and how they're commonly notated
- how a normal capture/compare timer works
- how a sigma-delta adc works; how a successive approximation adc works; fundamentals of digital signal processing including a basic grasp of frequency-domain analysis, enough of the language surrounding it to know the right scipy methods to make a basic fir filter and not fall into the extremely common traps such as aliasing; again, all at a functional level not necessarily a fundamental one
- how a fet-based current controller and by extension an hbridge work, how to control and drive them, basics of electromechanical systems such as brushed dc, brushless dc, and stepper motors; again all from a functional level but with enough understanding of why overcurrent events are bad and you should sense them, etc
- fundamentals of i2c and spi as the most common on-the-board digital buses

and honestly the best way to do all that is by picking a project that needs it and then reading the microcontroller reference manual sections on the subsystems. all of this is _extensively_ documented, even if it's common, even if it's duplicative. every microcontroller reference manual has a section explaining what a spi bus is and how it works as well as how it's implemented in that particular microcontroller's silicon. honestly, in the same way that most "i want to learn about web dev" requests are often best answered (or at least answered, anyway) by pointing to a react tutorial, probably the actual best way to learn about this stuff is to do a basic project and read a bunch of stuff in the manual.

To me, the main thing that i like and have always liked about embedded is that fundamentally what being "embedded" means aside from the tech stack is that it's one component of a larger system along with the electronics and the mechanical setup and when everything's clicking and you're working with a good team, having everybody there to come up with off the wall ideas to bounce off everybody else and manage the tradeoffs between what can be a mechanism and what can be a circuit and what can be in software is exhilirating. obviously when that's not true it can be three different people all arrogant in their own experience neglecting the work that the other disciplines do and tossing off "well can't you just..."s, and that part sucks, but is that so different from a pm trying to micromanage how you implement an etl pipeline? but that also means that every project is wildly different and academic knowledge will only get you so far... but you also have more people to learn from.

there's definitely not much desire in embedded to hire junior developers with absolutely no fundamental electronics background. but because the field is so broad, you could pick up a role working on the more embedded linux side that's mostly just normal rear end programming with a bit of random hardware stuff and pick it up over time. i think that's your best bet - it gets to the stuff about the embedded-as-component tradeoffs, it gets you in the door and talking and with opportunities to learn the electronics stuff, and also who knows maybe you'll end up hating it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phobeste posted:

and sometimes that physical thing isn't something you want at home or something you can reasonably measure without thousands of dollars of test equipment. but sometimes it's fine! Ask a lot of questions in the interview I guess

I mean, I work in embedded, currently on television set top boxes. Fortunately, because when we all got sent to work from home last March, as we have done ever since, a TV set top box is something you can totally have in your house and work on and as a bonus you can watch TV on it!

(Also fortunately in that my company is doing fine financially, expanding even, because noone has had anything else to do lately but sit home and watch TV...)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

feedmegin posted:

I mean, I work in embedded, currently on television set top boxes. Fortunately, because when we all got sent to work from home last March, as we have done ever since, a TV set top box is something you can totally have in your house and work on and as a bonus you can watch TV on it!

This reminds me of a friend of mine who works on a popular app that runs on smart TVs. Since pandemic hit he’s now got four or five different brands of smart TV, all on roller stands, in his home office.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Yeah that’s my point, albeit poorly made. Embedded dev is basically “working on code for anything that’s a component in a larger system” so sometimes it’s robots and you can’t bring it home because it’s too big and needs test equipment, sometimes it’s set top boxes and it’s fine, sometimes it’s something else entirely, depends on the company

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm visualizing some engineer winning an argument with their boss, and ending up with one of those giant red automotive welding robot arms in their home garage

marumaru
May 20, 2013

working on smart tv apps (read: web apps) is something i'd really like to do, and hopefully slowly creep into real embedded

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

kitten smoothie posted:

This reminds me of a friend of mine who works on a popular app that runs on smart TVs. Since pandemic hit he’s now got four or five different brands of smart TV, all on roller stands, in his home office.
Yep. I work in smartphones. I literally have probably 60 smartphones in my apartment right now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

fourwood posted:

Yep. I work in smartphones. I literally have probably 60 smartphones in my apartment right now.

Ughh, smart phone compatibility testing is the worse. Last smart phone related contract I did, the client only wanted us to test on 8 different phones (which is not nearly enough) and it still turned every UI change into a multi-day marathon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I'm visualizing some engineer winning an argument with their boss, and ending up with one of those giant red automotive welding robot arms in their home garage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX6JcybgDFo

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

More like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMSLPefUVeE

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
What's the general rule of thumb re: resumes once you get into your 4th or so job? I just started my 4th tech job this week and I'll probably update my resume in the next couple of weeks. The few questions I have are:

1. Is it time to ditch the personal projects now that I have a longer experience section?
2. Is it okay for my resume to be more than 1 page now?
3. Should I just omit my first tech job since the later ones are more relevant to my current experience?

Also I can :justpost: my resume if it would help but just looking for some general direction before I start making edits

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 23, 2021

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
2 pages is fine. Keep your old jobs. Get rid of personal projects unless they’re extremely relevant or open source.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Two pages is fine and any experience over a decade old is probably not relevant. If you're going to cut the personal projects section, make sure any technical skills you want to demonstrate are covered somewhere else.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
As an interviewer, personal projects with supplied source code give me signal that you're still interested in programming, and give me an indication of the quality of your code. I'd only include personal projects if they were high-quality code (well structured, have tests, etc). I've seen people submit resumes with Github project links where it was obvious they were struggling with Hello World.

Regarding the employment history; I'm mostly going to skim read anything after the last 5-8 years because if your latest achievement was leading a team of 20 to success, I don't care that you interned at Yahoo that one summer. I'm mostly looking at how you individually contributed to projects, not what the project was about.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I have recently been promoted to a supervisory position in my organization. I was personally very happy working exclusively as a developer, but I was tired of working for a rotating series of programmers who resent web development (understandable, but we ARE a web development shop so...), resent automated tests, don't understand fundamental design concepts, etc. I was watching good programmers in my team quit in disgust and just got tired of it all. And I was starting to get worried that my own skills were atrophying to a terminal degree. So, when my last boss retired, I applied for her job and got it.

I thought I knew what I was getting into, but I didn't really. Being in a "management" position is a whole new level of time management challenges. And there's no one I can blame for bad decisions any more. And most of all, I am realizing that my skills as they are now are not sufficient to effect the change I imagined when I applied for the job. All those failures of my prior supervisors that I rattled off...? I've been using that as an excuse to not grow. I knew we needed those things, but I never took responsibility for advancing my own skills on my own time, instead choosing to just blame my boss for "holding me back".

I mean, programming is my breadmaker, so I care about that. But I don't have the personal curiosity and energy for it outside of my work day. Aside from what I need to get paid, I'm just not that into it. It's better than anything else I could get paid for, but it's not something I want to spend my evening and weekends doing.

And that's the thing. Now that I see the gap between me and my goals for me and my team, I can tell that just coasting and limiting myself to assigned work during work hours isn't going to cut it. I have to change and I have to do it on my own time. In a weird way, it's exhilarating to consider. I started listing skills I wanted to start mastering. Writing testable code and the automated tests to support it. Focusing on accessibility in our web design. RESTful API development. If I didn't have a full time job and a home and husband to care for, I would actually be super excited to be putting my own time into these things. But as it is, I need my "me time". I'm not satisfied with scraping my free time together out of leftovers. I work 40hrs/week (probably more like 45. it's impossible to do my job within the limits of paid time). And even though I'm excited about some of the things I can learn if I just put in some time, I know that when I get home today the only that I'm going to want to do is sit back, light up, and play video games for 2+ hours.

I guess ultimately this is a matter of discipline or personal character. You could say I'm blinded by my own reticence to give up my evenings and weekends to professional development. I know that I need to put in the time, but when I set goals, I don't know if they are laughably petty, or if on the flip side I'm overcompensating.

Is there anyone else here that spends personal time on development not because they LOVE IT or because they have some grand plan to make a bunch of money on a self-made service or whatever, but rather because they simply acknowledge that it's the adult response to the realities of a programming career? How much of your own time do you give up to that? What do you cut in your life to make it work? Are you subsisting off instant food and takeout? Are you spending less time with your family? Are you losing sleep? Do you get to have any other hobbies?

tldr; I've spent way too much of my career coasting and making excuses for it. Now that I'm awake to how I've limited myself, I'm looking for a way to plan for my growth that is both meaningful, sustainable, and realistic.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

tldr; I've spent way too much of my career coasting and making excuses for it. Now that I'm awake to how I've limited myself, I'm looking for a way to plan for my growth that is both meaningful, sustainable, and realistic.

The market is so hot right now that you can get people to pay you to do a normal week's worth of work to learn on the job. You may want to consider doing that instead of pushing yourself to grow at a place that makes it hard to do that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah sorry no, you don't actually have to do that poo poo to be successful. for some reason you're aching for somebody to give you permission to burn yourself out because its the "adult thing" to do or whatever, but it's not.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

lol God drat, I expected to be told to suck it up and hit the books or something. The internet is so full of people talking about how you gotta throw yourself into developing your skills all the time to even be a passable programmer.

I just started this position so I'm not going to bail right away, but maybe it's time to start thinking about how I can get a job somewhere that isn't lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Is there anyone else here that spends personal time on development not because they LOVE IT or because they have some grand plan to make a bunch of money on a self-made service or whatever, but rather because they simply acknowledge that it's the adult response to the realities of a programming career? How much of your own time do you give up to that? What do you cut in your life to make it work? Are you subsisting off instant food and takeout? Are you spending less time with your family? Are you losing sleep? Do you get to have any other hobbies?

I see training as part of my job so I do it on work time. I don't spend personal time intentionally training for work. I'll do some hobby coding, but it's a coincidence if that teaches me anything directly relevant to my job.

I suppose I read some dev-related blog posts, threads (hello), and tweets on my own time that could be useful for work. But I also read irrelevant blog posts, threads, and tweets during work time and I figure it balances out.

Lots of companies would prefer not to pay you to train, but lots of other companies realize it's beneficial and welcome it. Try to carve out some work time for training, and if that's not possible then see if another employer can make it so. It is absolutely not required to sacrifice your whole life to the job.