Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

tokin opposition posted:

If u haven't read all of peter watts stop posting itt and go read

Dude's 100% a goon too

I'll be sure to read more of his stuff, thanks for the rec :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'll be sure to read more of his stuff, thanks for the rec :)

if you've heard goons (like me) hooting and howling about blindsight, that's also peter watts https://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a lot of Watts' stuff is about humanity's precipitous decline into techno-hell so if you like to read this thread to get agitated he might be right up your alley.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

World War Mammories posted:

if you've heard goons (like me) hooting and howling about blindsight, that's also peter watts https://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Blindsight & Echopraxia are in my top 10

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

smarxist posted:

:haibrower:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

smarxist posted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Well, the old thermostat, not the Celsius. But I'd be happier if people start using the chosen unit of the world instead of having to play fast/loose with conversions. This country is so loving stupid, we deserve Fahrenheit.

Metric units are useless for anything other than converting to other units. Which, it turns out, is not what I use measurements for!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

anyone who doesn't understand that metric is objectively superior to imperial is a loving brain-damaged moron who doesn't know how to multiply by ten. thank you for your understanding

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Fahrenheit tells me everything I need to about the weather outside. Anyway fighting over units of measurement instead of class war is what the capitalists want and anyone indulging in it is a reactionary.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My thermometer is a guy i pay a pittance to stand out in my back yard 24/7, and if I wanna know if its raining or cold or whatever I just yell

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

anyone who doesn't understand that metric is objectively superior to imperial is a loving brain-damaged moron who doesn't know how to multiply by ten. thank you for your understanding

No that's you who, when told "they're good for conversions and nothing else" comes back with "YEAH BUT YOU CAN CONVERT THEM EASILY" You metric people are the dumbest motherfuckers alive a cargo cult of fuckwits who got embarassed in school when you couldn't convert feet to inches and have internalized the trauma and carried it over to every aspect of your life.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
this thread is an op

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

smarxist posted:

I feel like Blindsight is a more interesting book, but Echopraxia and its techno-lovecraft still rattles around the back of my skull now and again.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

No that's you who, when told "they're good for conversions and nothing else" comes back with "YEAH BUT YOU CAN CONVERT THEM EASILY" You metric people are the dumbest motherfuckers alive a cargo cult of fuckwits who got embarassed in school when you couldn't convert feet to inches and have internalized the trauma and carried it over to every aspect of your life.

converting them easily makes it easier to perform mathematical operations on them, which you have to do when you're doing, like, anything scientific at all. there is a reason that the colossal majority of scientific work uses the metric system, and it's not because researchers et al are all somehow dumber than you. it's okay to be dull but please do not be proud of it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Just because something is superior for science work doesn't mean that it's appropriate for all situations. For example, scientists wear pants.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

converting them easily makes it easier to perform mathematical operations on them, which you have to do when you're doing, like, anything scientific at all. there is a reason that the colossal majority of scientific work uses the metric system, and it's not because researchers et al are all somehow dumber than you. it's okay to be dull but please do not be proud of it

Hey, fuckwit, that's not what a unit of measurement is for. An teaspoon doesn't exist so I can compare it to a tablespoon or a quart. It exists because I'm making dinner and I need to be close enough when measuring out the salt.
Who the gently caress gives a poo poo about how easy it is to compare it to some other unit that also has no meaning in a person's life.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol @ this thread arguing when there is clearly a superior unit system

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
fuckign goddamn measurement units, you fucks

e: gently caress you. yes you

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
metric is sensible but it should have been based off of powers of 12

fight me

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Anything beyond a unary system is bourgeois anyway if you ask me

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Hey, fuckwit, that's not what a unit of measurement is for. An teaspoon doesn't exist so I can compare it to a tablespoon or a quart. It exists because I'm making dinner and I need to be close enough when measuring out the salt.
Who the gently caress gives a poo poo about how easy it is to compare it to some other unit that also has no meaning in a person's life.

oh, honey

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

fuckign goddamn measurement units, you fucks

e: gently caress you. yes you

i will never stop defending lincoln chafee

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

metric is sensible but it should have been based off of powers of 12

fight me
going back in time and forcing weird experiments on pre-humans until they all have 6 digits on each hand and foot instead of 5 so that humans universally develop base-12 counting systems

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

christmas boots posted:

Just because something is superior for science work doesn't mean that it's appropriate for all situations. For example, scientists wear pants.

Not my fault you never learned that 21°C is a comfortable 69.8°F in grade school.

I blame the government.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
peter watts is good (I'm rereading rifters right now which is why i bought 'em up. he also has a very good short story collection which features the drone story SoT posted

also measuring is a capitalist social construction, we must decolonialize units of measurement

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Engineering and construction too.

But I'm sure 7/16 is a perfectly reasonable size and not at all confusing when you need to say, divide it by half.

Oh and cooking. Love to do everything in tablespoons and cups instead of by weight and milliliters. Never mind that half a cup of flour and half a cup of nuts are very different things.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

skooma512 posted:

But I'm sure 7/16 is a perfectly reasonable size and not at all confusing when you need to say, divide it by half.

Oh and cooking. Love to do everything in tablespoons and cups instead of by weight and milliliters. Never mind that half a cup of flour and half a cup of nuts are very different things.

well yeah obviously, trying to fit bof your nuts in a small measuring cup is a lot more uncomfortable than shoveling some flour

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

skooma512 posted:

lol wut

You chose the one example where fractions are better.

One half of 7/16 is… 7/32

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Metric is for sperglords who live in the laboratory. Real humans use measurements that are relatable, like Fahrenheit or horsepower

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lil poopendorfer posted:

Metric is for sperglords who live in the laboratory. Real humans use measurements that are relatable, like Fahrenheit or horsepower

also have a bunch of common factors unlike decimal

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

skooma512 posted:

First, you could use a decimal. It's ok to write .21875 inches.
Second, for precision measurements the units are irrelevant. You're going to make them to whatever the tool says they are. Five of whatever the ruler says 1 is.
Third cooking by weight is, again, just using whatever the scale tells you to. The recipe says make the scale say 3.24 ok. Who cares.
Fourth the only time knowing what a unit is actually matters is when you have no tools and are approximating values, for which imperial units are superior. You have a foot connected to your body, you have the teaspoon in the drawer.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

remembering ann coulter yelling about the metric system, totally smiling to myself

whatever happened to her anyway

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HootTheOwl posted:

Fourth the only time knowing what a unit is actually matters is when you have no tools and are approximating values, for which imperial units are superior. You have a foot connected to your body, you have the teaspoon in the drawer.

A teaspoon is 5ml. A foot is approximately 30cm. You can estimate in metric, you just need to use it regularly to remember what is what.

The army started me on metric, not college. If you can't understand metric, you're dumber than those of us who signed up for the military.

And we're pretty goddamn dumb.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fahrenheit is the only decent non-metric measurement because it’s essentially a scale of 0-100 for how hot it is outside

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
btw the origin of the metric system was the French Revolution so if youre against it youre literally a reactionary hth

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
very disappointed the datestamp on your post doesn't read 5 Messidor 229

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

btw the origin of the metric system was the French Revolution so if youre against it youre literally a reactionary hth

when I take over the world I'm implementing metric time and none of you can stop me

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

eSports Chaebol posted:

same for decimal time but for some reason there aren't many advocates for it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Making the second the base unit of time is the penultimate mistake in SI, after the choice of base ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

A teaspoon is 5ml. A foot is approximately 30cm. You can estimate in metric, you just need to use it regularly to remember what is what.

The army started me on metric, not college. If you can't understand metric, you're dumber than those of us who signed up for the military.

And we're pretty goddamn dumb.

Ok, Imagine you have a kilogram of water, now divide that by one thousand. You have five of those. VS The little spoon.
So you have the Great circle as it passes though the north pole, and you take one ten-millionth of that... would it be easier if I said it was the distance that light light traveled in 1/300000000 of a second? It doesn't matter which one you use, because you need to divide it again by 100. That's a centimeter. 30 of those. VS *points at the ground*