Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

lol God drat, I expected to be told to suck it up and hit the books or something. The internet is so full of people talking about how you gotta throw yourself into developing your skills all the time to even be a passable programmer.

I just started this position so I'm not going to bail right away, but maybe it's time to start thinking about how I can get a job somewhere that isn't lame.

The skills you need to develop as a manager are very, very different than those required to be a good engineer and if you're like most new managers, it's going to take you a year or two to get decent at it. It's going to be very hard to improve on both fronts at the same time and if you're in a leadership slot, you owe your team to do that as well as you possibly can at leading them versus getting better at writing code. That's not to say that if you're trying to get the team to adopt good testing practices you can't figure out how to be more effective at that yourself, but your primary job as a manager is making your team successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I appreciate your perspectives. I have noticed that my team is a lot more motivated to experiment and are sharing their findings more openly since I took up this position. I'm hesitant to ask them about it directly, for fear of appearing to be fishing for compliments or putting down our old boss, but I can't help but wonder if all we really needed was to have a team lead that isn't adversarial and closed-minded.

I have to admit it has been a rocky start for me. When I took this position, I had my team's support because I indicated that I'd be encouraging more efficient and effective work practices. But then I started and I got slammed with so much "higher pay grade" nonsense and I haven't had time to fulfill my mandate. I think I might have to start delegating more; hopefully they'll be satisfied that I'm giving them the freedom to do the job the right away, instead of fixing everything myself personally.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you code more than a certain % at a lead peeps position you hosed up

sometimes that % is 0

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

lol God drat, I expected to be told to suck it up and hit the books or something. The internet is so full of people talking about how you gotta throw yourself into developing your skills all the time to even be a passable programmer.

Are you reading strictly Reddit CS career questions and Blind?

You need to spend "a lot" of time to get the top like, 1%? maybe .5%? paying jobs. After that you can get so much money in literally any other way possible including getting paid to learn languages and new tech.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Are you reading strictly Reddit CS career questions and Blind?

Yeah, and Hacker News. I was somewhat mortified, to be honest, but I thought the problem was with me.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Yeah, and Hacker News. I was somewhat mortified, to be honest, but I thought the problem was with me.

The problem is extremely with them, and anyone else spouting that 10x hustle nights and weekends bullshit.

It sounds like you’re having a normal reaction to getting into a job that requires completely different skill sets. You’re overwhelmed and nervous that you don’t have every answer going in. The good news is you don’t need to! Learning on the job is totally cool and good, and as a manager part of your role should be encouraging your team to learn on the job as well.

Furthermore as a manager you should be setting priorities and not dictating the exact steps to accomplish tasks. It’s okay that you don’t know every tiny little detail of X testing framework up front. It’s more important that you understand the concepts involved and become able to “sell” the importance of automated testing to anyone on your team who might be reticent. Learn all the details as your team works through the process but absolutely gently caress the idea of doing that off the clock.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I appreciate your perspectives. I have noticed that my team is a lot more motivated to experiment and are sharing their findings more openly since I took up this position. I'm hesitant to ask them about it directly, for fear of appearing to be fishing for compliments or putting down our old boss, but I can't help but wonder if all we really needed was to have a team lead that isn't adversarial and closed-minded.

I have to admit it has been a rocky start for me. When I took this position, I had my team's support because I indicated that I'd be encouraging more efficient and effective work practices. But then I started and I got slammed with so much "higher pay grade" nonsense and I haven't had time to fulfill my mandate. I think I might have to start delegating more; hopefully they'll be satisfied that I'm giving them the freedom to do the job the right away, instead of fixing everything myself personally.

100%. I often tell my new managers they should write no code at all for the first 6 months. Prioritization and effective delegation are the things that make or break managers, it's good to see that you're already picking up on that!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Reddit and Blind have no advice besides "if any single person grinds LeetCode as much as possible in a few months they can get $250k TOC with minimal YoE" so I'd probably ignore those outlets.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

The internet is so full of people talking about how you gotta throw yourself into developing your skills all the time to even be a passable programmer.

Stop reading HN ;).

e; lmao I replied before reading your reply and I stand by it.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The March Hare posted:

Stop reading HN ;)
Read n-gate instead :agesilaus:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dark Mage posted:

Read n-gate instead :agesilaus:

I still smile every time a new n-gate post shows up in the ol' rss reader.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RSS is dope.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It's poison. Don't do anything of the sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmMJbwE8j98

Just ditched a job where the new lead totally bought into that culture and I couldn't get them to back off of it.
Much happier at my new place that asks wtf youre doing still online after 430 on a Friday.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
two jobs ago i had north of 250k total comp (the previous and current job i dont know yet because thats how equity rolls) and i didnt do any of that poo poo

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Gildiss posted:

It's poison. Don't do anything of the sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmMJbwE8j98

Just ditched a job where the new lead totally bought into that culture and I couldn't get them to back off of it.
Much happier at my new place that asks wtf youre doing still online after 430 on a Friday.

I keep having to tell my guys to step away from the desk. They get caught up in the pressure that a lot of the corporate culture wants, and get stuck self-crunching.

I tell them to chill all the time. Probably could do a better job of shielding them from feeling the pressure, and hiding any pressure that I'm feeling. Was a big learning moment when I found through scuttlebutt that a team member or two weren't pinging me (as now our only core-team 10+ year developer) because they didn't want to bother me.

I'm like, guys, please ping me, gives me an excuse to get out of these dang meetings.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

pokeyman posted:

I see training as part of my job so I do it on work time. I don't spend personal time intentionally training for work. I'll do some hobby coding, but it's a coincidence if that teaches me anything directly relevant to my job.

I suppose I read some dev-related blog posts, threads (hello), and tweets on my own time that could be useful for work. But I also read irrelevant blog posts, threads, and tweets during work time and I figure it balances out.

Lots of companies would prefer not to pay you to train, but lots of other companies realize it's beneficial and welcome it. Try to carve out some work time for training, and if that's not possible then see if another employer can make it so. It is absolutely not required to sacrifice your whole life to the job.

I also do hobby programming outside work. As a rule I don't do anything directly related to my normal day/day. Different application domain, language, etc. Currently I'm making a game for a dead console. It's a blast. It will neither provide wealth or future employment. Job relevant things are taken out of job time. If that means Thursday afternoons are book reading time for a month because I'm onboarding onto some new thing, then that's what that means.

I also make a point to reserve a few hours a week on the job for speculative work/things that bring me long-term calm. Have an issue with the warning count in your project but never get time to fix it? Missing documentation over something everyone on the team should know but don't? Just spend 1-2 hours over coffee on Fridays and get it done. As long as your other work doesn't slip (it won't) no one will care, and you'll spend less time in aggregate fixing the thing over a month or two than years whinging on about how it never gets done.

If your manager asks why you're spending the time the way you're spending it, verify that they don't have an issue with your work output. If someone other than your manager (or their manager) is asking about why you spend your time, flag that to your manager because someone is trying to steal their people's time outside channels.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

two jobs ago i had north of 250k total comp
What did you do? Are you making that kind of money now?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
150k cash and the equity ended up bein 110k

currentjob is 170k cash and who the f knows what currentjobs equity is worth now. series b so its prolly not nothing anymore

i guess i did go to plutocrat school so thats a thing

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 24, 2021

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm glad you shared a breakdown because I think it'd be cool if we avoided Reddit/Blind/HN fuckery of blindly posting about TC without breakdowns and actual year over year TC numbers.

That being said I got paid a base of $135 but got like a $40k bonus last year from my company getting acquired and I am for sure going to ask for a way higher base because of it!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm being courted to be engineer #1 at a place that has raised a few million in seed and which has a core team of I think 4 people right now. What should I expect in terms of equity in terms of % and does anyone have a decent guide on how to ask the correct questions to make as sure as possible that I don't get hosed if they exit?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
1-5%. (realistically be happy w 1.5 or 2%) ask to see cap table. they will more likely than not say no. thats your cue to explicitly ask the percentage

thats predicated on you literally bein first eng and therefore kinda havin em by the balls. if they already have cto and youd just be first outside eng more of a 0.5 to 2.5 sorta deal

yospos interviewing thread first post has a list of questions which are good

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 24, 2021

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So since I've apparently been drinking from a fountain of toxic lies (hackernews etc.), what SHOULD I be reading to stay current and active?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they arent lyin about the salaries theyre just lying about the effort for the salaries

toxic af tho lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 24, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So since I've apparently been drinking from a fountain of toxic lies (hackernews etc.), what SHOULD I be reading to stay current and active?

Honestly this forum's one of the best and sanest sources. YOSPOS has some pretty good stuff too.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I've been reasonably impressed with /r/ExperiencedDevs as well. It's not been quite as good as this thread, but it seems to be made up of a similar demographic.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

150k cash and the equity ended up bein 110k

currentjob is 170k cash and who the f knows what currentjobs equity is worth now. series b so its prolly not nothing anymore

i guess i did go to plutocrat school so thats a thing
Thanks for the breakdown. What's your job?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made a decent chunk of change (~$170,000 or almost all of what my current retirement fund originally was) from selling my current place’s ISOs and RSUs around its peak, but that’s not a year-over-year thing at all. I also screwed myself over a bit on taxes - some of those ISOs were disqualified cause I sold-to-cover and/or immediately dumped them as soon as I got them. There’s scheduling and timing issues to be had with equity, but it’s still a heck of a lottery ticket if you can manage it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dark Mage posted:

Thanks for the breakdown. What's your job?

normal dev

"software engineer" lol

biggest delta is i am firmly situated in the middle of figgieland prime

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I made a decent chunk of change (~$170,000 or almost all of what my current retirement fund originally was) from selling my current place’s ISOs and RSUs around its peak, but that’s not a year-over-year thing at all. I also screwed myself over a bit on taxes - some of those ISOs were disqualified cause I sold-to-cover and/or immediately dumped them as soon as I got them. There’s scheduling and timing issues to be had with equity, but it’s still a heck of a lottery ticket if you can manage it.

My first house and my 2nd house were both down payments from selling RSUs... Golden handcuffs feel so good.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Biggest RSU surprise: I was given 500 that just vested. The brokerage automatically exercised almost 200 to for withholding on them. Surprised me as I had intended to hold > 1 year to take advantage of capital gains (and a general good feeling as the company has a number of nice products, some of which deliver periodic improvements to the bottom line on the scale of every 2/4 years).

Is this a standard thing, or just something stupid that my corp set up?

e: Talking about it, TIL that RSUs are taxed as Salary and not as stock.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 24, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

Biggest RSU surprise: I was given 500 that just vested. The brokerage automatically exercised almost 200 to for withholding on them. Surprised me as I had intended to hold > 1 year to take advantage of capital gains (and a general good feeling as the company has a number of nice products, some of which deliver periodic improvements to the bottom line on the scale of every 2/4 years).

Is this a standard thing, or just something stupid that my corp set up?

This is standard because the vesting is a taxable event, and the entire market value of the vesting shares on the vest date is considered ordinary income.

The capital gains (or loss) only applies to the difference from vest date to sale date.

PS - they also probably underwithheld at 22% so you probably owe even more at tax time

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Guinness posted:

This is standard because the vesting is a taxable event, and the entire market value of the vesting shares on the vest date is considered ordinary income.

The capital gains (or loss) only applies to the difference from vest date to sale date.

PS - they also probably underwithheld at 22% so you probably owe even more at tax time

Yeah, I'm in the "just barely enough to cover" tax range. We just bought a house and with it comes a business where we'll be splitting half the expenses of big, big projects. my taxes gonna be real complicated, but I've got the losses covered for a bit

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

normal dev

"software engineer" lol

Hah. Do you work on embedded, web stuff, or something else?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dark Mage posted:

Hah. Do you work on embedded, web stuff, or something else?

we do a bi dealio

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

1-5%. (realistically be happy w 1.5 or 2%) ask to see cap table. they will more likely than not say no. thats your cue to explicitly ask the percentage

thats predicated on you literally bein first eng and therefore kinda havin em by the balls. if they already have cto and youd just be first outside eng more of a 0.5 to 2.5 sorta deal

yospos interviewing thread first post has a list of questions which are good

Yeah they've got CEO/CTO and one other full time non-engineer employee and I would be the first non-CTO engineer, good to know thank you for all the info.

e; Also, because I do not understand any of this stuff at all, if I do get whatever -- 1%, does this mean that if they sell for $500mm at some later date I'll inherit 1% of that number, or is it all contingent on a bunch of legal poo poo that is totally over my head and basically random chance? Just trying to estimate the possible actual value based on the people running the show's previous exits w/ similar companies in the past years - I understand this is basically a futile effort but I need something other than "pretend they are worthless" to make my brain do the calculus on the gamble.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 24, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

The March Hare posted:

Yeah they've got CEO/CTO and one other full time non-engineer employee and I would be the first non-CTO engineer, good to know thank you for all the info.

e; Also, because I do not understand any of this stuff at all, if I do get whatever -- 1%, does this mean that if they sell for $500mm at some later date I'll inherit 1% of that number, or is it all contingent on a bunch of legal poo poo that is totally over my head and basically random chance? Just trying to estimate the possible actual value based on the people running the show's previous exits w/ similar companies in the past years - I understand this is basically a futile effort but I need something other than "pretend they are worthless" to make my brain do the calculus on the gamble.

you will get diluted by further financing rounds almost surely. the vc's will have dilution preferences. overall it can mean 30% to 95, 99% reduction of your share. liquidation preferences also exist for non-ipo exits (which are the majority of all exits), which would mean you would see little to nothing for a non-great acquisition.

they're hard to value. they're real hard to value. i literally try not to value them. like, investors paid n bux a share for the series b, does that mean my equity dealio, which is 75k shares w the usual 4 year vest, is worth n * (75k / 4) which would make me compensated way better than most goog peeps? absolutely not. the vc's have the risk priced in but the pricing of the risk is in itself sorta silly buggers, and they have very different risk profiles in and of itself cuz of dilution preference poo poo and liquidity preference poo poo and etc etc etc etc etc etc

i actually got anti-diluted on prev company options cuz one of the founders ragequit (then the next quarter revenues almost doubled lol). this almost never happens lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 24, 2021

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

I just started this position so I'm not going to bail right away, but maybe it's time to start thinking about how I can get a job somewhere that isn't lame.
The important thing is that you care about improving your skills and you are willing to try new things in order to improve. (This is not unique to software development.) There is no requirement that you any of this off the clock - good places encourage learning.

This forum and its subforums are the only tech sources I use to stay up to date, along with being willing to dive down rabbit holes of official new product blog posts and go GitHub issue spelunking for cutting edge tech. I have a side project for fun that's got some tech crossover with my work stuff but in a completely different domain.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm glad you shared a breakdown because I think it'd be cool if we avoided Reddit/Blind/HN fuckery of blindly posting about TC without breakdowns and actual year over year TC numbers.
That being said I got paid a base of $135 but got like a $40k bonus last year from my company getting acquired and I am for sure going to ask for a way higher base because of it!
If we're sharing (which I think is great), I make $200k base/$100k bonus with a little over ten years experience. I work in back office finance in the NYC metro area. (There are a handful of good tech teams in buy-side finance and I've been lucky enough to stumble into a couple of them.) As a caveat, I am a white guy with a CS degree and a plutocrat school on my resume (although the CS degree didn't come from the plutocrat school). I don't have side projects on there, because my side project isn't technically public and I don't do other work outside of work.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Guinness posted:

Amusingly the thing which seems to confuse people most about RSU taxes is just how straightforward they are compared to ESPP shares and options. Everything else involving stock is complicated so it seems impossible that RSUs really are just the same as getting cut a check for their market value.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Plorkyeran posted:

Amusingly the thing which seems to confuse people most about RSU taxes is just how straightforward they are compared to ESPP shares and options. Everything else involving stock is complicated so it seems impossible that RSUs really are just the same as getting cut a check for their market value.
I just had my first RSU vesting event ever this month so I got to go through this exact whiplash just a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

hah, well, that's in part because they're not really the same as that always!

for example, my employer, a non-public company, switched from ISO grants to RSU grants recently, and part of the RSU structure is (forgive me if I don't use all of the right terminology here I'm not a stock scientist) that there's a form of double trigger vesting, where the first trigger is time-based and the second trigger is a liquidity event, so I don't have to pay a shitload of taxes on RSUs that are vesting that I can't actually sell to anyone yet.