Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Laserface posted:

I use this case. The dark blue is not as vibrant as the pictures make it out to be on the website, its closer to the blue on the iphone 12. has a nice texture to it but isnt grippy like a jelly case, so doesnt snag on your pocket. mines got a bit of oil/grease on it and held up well and I havent dropped it.

its a weird material. its firm like plastic but actually has a lot of give under more pressure/impact (eg. pushing into it with your fingernail you can feel it give like a rubber, but not when you squeeze it with a more general pressure from your thumb)

https://caudabe.com/products/sheath-iphone-12?variant=32770312568929

This is very, very tempting... especially the electric blue. I'm also thinking about the Veil or the Liquid Crystal. Veil Frost on the blue 12 Pro Max could be amazing.

Synthesis seems pretty nice too since it's got better protection. But it seems really firm and I don't know how many drops it can absorb...

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pretty sure that's the equivalent of the one I have for my XR. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it tbh, I like the form factor but it uses two different materials and after a while the more rubbery one starts to stretch and separate from the plastic one. The positive is, if you fill out a form on the Otterbox site they just send you a replacement for like $8 (S&H). I think each one lasted me about a year, the first one completely fell apart and the one I have now is separating in the same way.

They might have changed things for the newer phones mind!

Yah, I actually had this problem before on my Symmetry on an iPod Touch and also the LG Optimus V. It was REALLY annoying after about a year so I might skip it.

Duckman2008 posted:

Apple cases also were very tempting this time around.

I wanted the Apple case I saw at the Store but so, so many reviews said the phone randomly popped out many times just in their pocket because it just sort of sat in there and not exactly popped in.

The one from the Apple Store seemed something exclusive to the physical store (at least I haven't seen it on the online store)...it was a nice blue and white sort of thing with a kind of swirl or wave pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is very, very tempting... especially the electric blue. I'm also thinking about the Veil or the Liquid Crystal. Veil Frost on the blue 12 Pro Max could be amazing.

Synthesis seems pretty nice too since it's got better protection. But it seems really firm and I don't know how many drops it can absorb...

Like i said, the blue is not as advertised.

Here's mine under office lighting. a bit grimy but otherwise hasnt really changed colour.

https://imgur.com/a/uZ46ktt

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 22, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I guess if the case back is flush with the edge around the camera opening it would make it a bit chonk eh.

I just don't want it to wobble when I place it on its back as well!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

priznat posted:

I just got a 12 pro max (blue!) and was wondering for the thread consensus on good cases. I would just like something to flatten it out so the camera bump isn’t a thing. In the past I have gone with the apple leather ones (last on an XS Max).

I am looking at the apple clear ones just to show off the nice blue colour, anyone have it/like it?

3 most important things in the case are:
1 - camera bump smoothed out
2 - slight lip on the front so screen has a gap from whatever surface I put it down on and
3 - nice bit of grippiness in the hand, nothing slippy! The 12 pro max sides are a little worryingly smooth for me, lol.

I have this case in Crystal Clear on my blue 12 Pro and really like it a lot. Zero complaints. :10bux:

Spigen Ultra Hybrid Designed for iPhone 12 Case (2020) / Designed for iPhone 12 Pro Case (2020)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BHCY8CN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NRE13J35NXQ265869P5R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I got an Otterbox Figura + Pop case for my iPhone 12. I like Otterbox and I like having the changeable pop socket built into the case.

What’s the current best screen protector to apply to a phone that has a case already?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Laserface posted:

Like i said, the blue is not as advertised.

Here's mine under office lighting. a bit grimy but otherwise hasnt really changed colour.

https://imgur.com/a/uZ46ktt

Ooh.. that is pretty nice. How's it work with MagSafe?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ooh.. that is pretty nice. How's it work with MagSafe?

I dont use mag safe, the case has no magsafe magnets in it either.

I use a magnetic dash mount with a steel plate in the back of the phone case and its fine.

it attaches to magsafe chargers OK when I have tried it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to set up alerts in advance for specific people’s birthday in Calendar.app outside of duplicating each birthday listing that’s pulled from their contact list profile and treating it like a normal calendar event?

My memory is dogshit and I need my phone to tell me when it’s time to buy my hobbyless mum more candles.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a way to set up alerts in advance for specific people’s birthday in Calendar.app outside of duplicating each birthday listing that’s pulled from their contact list profile and treating it like a normal calendar event?

My memory is dogshit and I need my phone to tell me when it’s time to buy my hobbyless mum more candles.
I just set them up as all-day events recurring yearly with a notification two days before. I wasn’t aware that contact info could even include birthdays and now I want to know if there’s an automated way to push that to the calendar too.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I believe…
Settings > Calendar > Default Alert Times > Birthdays
And change to 2 days or 1 week before.

Although I’m guessing then it might not remind you on the day itself. And not “specific people” either.

It’s Apple I guess. Fine-grained anything is discouraged.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

fourwood posted:

I believe…
Settings > Calendar > Default Alert Times > Birthdays
And change to 2 days or 1 week before.

Although I’m guessing then it might not remind you on the day itself. And not “specific people” either.

It’s Apple I guess. Fine-grained anything is discouraged.
It Just Works™️ (in highly specific and not useful ways)

Thanks though since I never even knew calendar in Settings even had that option for any kind of birthday alerts!

Edit: Jesus Christ so there’s a way to do what I want and it is not even slightly intuitive. Go to someone’s birthday, long press it until it shows a little info panel that says nothing different from before, then tap that info panel to get reminder options for future instances of that person’s birthday.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

The one from the Apple Store seemed something exclusive to the physical store (at least I haven't seen it on the online store)...it was a nice blue and white sort of thing with a kind of swirl or wave pattern.

That sounds like the Otterbox Figura, maybe? I have the teal one and I love it.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...796d%252Bd0d8d7

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah! This is the one.

Except now I'm looking at the Synthesis and the Sheath by Caudabe, both in their respective "Blue" colors....two cases for $6 more than the Otterbox...hm.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Trip report, iPhone 11 Pro ~18 months post purchase. ~85% battery capacity, but noticeable poor life, would barely last a day of light use.

Went into the store, was saccharine and polite with the genius, gave a matter of fact plea explaining I knew their 80% cutoff, slight embellishment of unexpected shutdowns. After she chatted with the LEAD genius I got a warranty battery replacement :cool:

Runs like a top now. Ain’t nothing like a genuine Apple repair vs. some bullshit from the internet. Also the logistics are pretty awesome, in and out in 1 hour.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 23, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Heh I was looking through AliExpress cases last night and saw the same pics for ~$10 cases. I think the key search term for them was “watercolor”. (Should be knockoffs on Amazon for about $20 too then)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Went into the store, was saccharine and polite with the genius, gave a matter of fact plea explaining I knew their 80% cutoff, slight embellishment of unexpected shutdowns.

I’m confused by why you felt that you had to point out that you were polite to the retail employee, and even “saccharine”.

As if any other approach would’ve been remotely acceptable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My $30 earbuds, despite having pretty good sound quality, had a really noisy mic, no ANC (bad for the subway), and seemed to have reduced battery life/finnicky connections, so I broke down and got the AirPod Pros since they were on sale for $190 at Costco. The fit took a bit to get used to because I'm accustomed to a full seal, but they are a revelation. Expensive, yes, but worth it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m confused by why you felt that you had to point out that you were polite to the retail employee, and even “saccharine”.

As if any other approach would’ve been remotely acceptable.

I can see how my phone post reads that way sorry! I would never be anything but polite in that situation or anything with a retail person, I just wanted to emphasize how dumb it would be to take any other tone and how it always helps to be polite. And to emphasize the replacement decision depends on how you frame it.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 23, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I can see how my phone post reads that way sorry! I would never be anything but polite in that situation or anything with a retail person, I just wanted to emphasize how dumb it would be to take any other tone and how it always helps to be polite. And to emphasize the replacement decision depends on how you frame it.

Yeah no worries dude. I’m sorry if I came on harshly, it just initially read like it was “one weird trick to get your battery fix approved” when really it’s just basic humanity, but I digress.

It sucks how many people go into situations like that and then take out their frustration on a service employee

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else have issues with the App Library not showing all of your apps? They're there if you search for them, and a reboot fixes it, but it still comes up from time to time. I've noticed the issue since I got the 12 Pro and no update has fixed it.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Josh Lyman posted:

My $30 earbuds, despite having pretty good sound quality, had a really noisy mic, no ANC (bad for the subway), and seemed to have reduced battery life/finnicky connections, so I broke down and got the AirPod Pros since they were on sale for $190 at Costco. The fit took a bit to get used to because I'm accustomed to a full seal, but they are a revelation. Expensive, yes, but worth it.

I picked up a pair over the weekend and I agree 100%. Moving between ANC and transparency mode feels like magic.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I upgraded my AirPods Pro to the AirPods Max this weekend after trying them in the Apple Store, they're basically AirPods Pro with better ANC, transparency, and (as a plus for me) don't hurt my ears. Despite trying many combinations of tips, they just didn't work for me.

Yeah, I could've gone with much, much cheaper headphones but the ANC in the Pros is seriously just THAT good and I needed something like that for class.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Anyone else have issues with the App Library not showing all of your apps? They're there if you search for them, and a reboot fixes it, but it still comes up from time to time. I've noticed the issue since I got the 12 Pro and no update has fixed it.

So far it’s been fine on iOS 15 so it only took them a whole update cycle to fix it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

I upgraded my AirPods Pro to the AirPods Max this weekend after trying them in the Apple Store, they're basically AirPods Pro with better ANC, transparency, and (as a plus for me) don't hurt my ears. Despite trying many combinations of tips, they just didn't work for me.

Yeah, I could've gone with much, much cheaper headphones but the ANC in the Pros is seriously just THAT good and I needed something like that for class.
Huh, you’re one of the few people to say the Airpods Pro are uncomfortable. I worry about upgrading as generic pods are comfortable, but the in-ear buds have also been awkward at best for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Pros are intermittently uncomfortable for me, they're prone to making my ear canals itch like hell if it's muggy or I'm sweaty from a workout. It's just how good they seal I guess, my skin can't get the airflow it craves.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The standard AirPods just didn’t work for me. I think the Pros would be better, but I just way prefer the Beats Pro with the ear hook despite the ridiculously large case. That still hilariously doesn’t even wireless charge.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Duckman2008 posted:

The standard AirPods just didn’t work for me. I think the Pros would be better, but I just way prefer the Beats Pro with the ear hook despite the ridiculously large case. That still hilariously doesn’t even wireless charge.

The new Beats Buds don't wirelessly charge either. It's clear they are omitting certain things from the Beats line and vice versa for some differentiation and to encourage people to buy products from both brands.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly wireless charging on these things is kinda lost on me. The case seems to last forever and plugging it in charges it up super quick. I’m sure it’s handy for some people but I’ve maybe used it once or twice.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I’m trying to decide between the Otterbox Symmetry or buying both the Caudabe Synthesis and Sheath (or the Veil) for cheaper than the one Otterbox.

I don’t know much about Caudabe other than what was posted here and some YouTube videos.

What would maybe be the better plan?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ThermoPhysical posted:

I’m trying to decide between the Otterbox Symmetry or buying both the Caudabe Synthesis and Sheath (or the Veil) for cheaper than the one Otterbox.

I don’t know much about Caudabe other than what was posted here and some YouTube videos.

I think you're putting way too much thought into all this. Buy one. If it sucks, return it and get a different one.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I have an older iPhone I keep in a drawer as a backup. Periodically I take it out to charge and update. The problem: my wake up alarm sounds on it as well as my primary phone and isn’t silenced when I dismiss the alarm on the primary.

Is there any way to make the alarms per-device instead of (presumably) per-account?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

The only negatives I have to offer about my Caudabe case is that its a little bit loose fitting on the long sides and the camera window isnt sized correctly for the 12 (its slightly bigger to accomodate the 12pro camera bump so they can just make one size) and its not as blue as the website suggested it would be, but its a nice colour all the same.

other than that, Im extremely happy with it and havent been bothered to find an alternative.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think you're putting way too much thought into all this. Buy one. If it sucks, return it and get a different one.

I would but Amazon actually has a limit on how many returns you can do and I've done a lot last year due to lots of bad products being sold as "real"...even from Amazon's own warehouses.

Laserface posted:

The only negatives I have to offer about my Caudabe case is that its a little bit loose fitting on the long sides and the camera window isnt sized correctly for the 12 (its slightly bigger to accomodate the 12pro camera bump so they can just make one size) and its not as blue as the website suggested it would be, but its a nice colour all the same.

other than that, Im extremely happy with it and havent been bothered to find an alternative.

When did you get them? Caudabe did a revision a few months after release of the Sheath to help better the fit.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

I would but Amazon actually has a limit on how many returns you can do and I've done a lot last year due to lots of bad products being sold as "real"...even from Amazon's own warehouses.

When did you get them? Caudabe did a revision a few months after release of the Sheath to help better the fit.

I think I missed the first release, pre-ordered the second. had no idea they changed the design, probably got it in oct/nov last year?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Is there a way to make this phone let me swipe to type swear words without something stupid like adding every conjugation of “gently caress” as a contact?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Enigma posted:

Is there a way to make this phone let me swipe to type swear words without something stupid like adding every conjugation of “gently caress” as a contact?

SwiftKey app knows all my loving shitnugget swear words and lets me swipe through all of those fucksticks to my heart's content. No contact list manipulation necessary. Just type them a couple times and it learns em.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

thank gently caress!!!!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The loving default keyboard will get its poo poo together if you type the goddamn words enough loving times, I think. Either that or I have some setting flipped or Awful.app does something, I dunno. Autocorrect will never help you if you miss a letter though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Did everyone give up using screen protectors on the 12's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

fourwood posted:

The loving default keyboard will get its poo poo together if you type the goddamn words enough loving times, I think. Either that or I have some setting flipped or Awful.app does something, I dunno. Autocorrect will never help you if you miss a letter though.

I've had the phone for a few months and I swear a lot, and even added some to the auto replace and no dice.

I did get it to say "shitton" once but I could tell it wasn't happy about it.