Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dr Christmas posted:

Imagine telling them at the angles on the triangle don’t always add up to 180 degrees anymore.

It's just an extremely simple edge case - 2-dimensional flat plane.
We make these simplifications all the time with other things, too. Electrical engineers will tell you about the power triangle: S^2 = P^2 + Q^2
It's a fundamental relationship that's pervasive in power engineering around the globe. Except, it's not accurate except in the simplest of cases where is only one fundamental frequency, no harmonics, and perfect phase balance (i.e., something that never happens in real-world conditions).
This can lead to 10 different residential power meters providing 10 wildly differing energy readouts for weird loads like LED lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1407813530917687304

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Read After Burning posted:

No more tweets about whale-loving. :(

Well I know one goon not following me on twitter.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr Christmas posted:

I do believe non-Euclidean geometry would drive people insane though, precisely because it refers to shapes on curved surfaces and not some MC Escher nightmare that hacks your brain. Have you guys seen how angry some high schoolers gets when they have to learn proofs? Imagine telling them at the angles on the triangle don’t always add up to 180 degrees anymore.

I remember doing incredibly bad during that part of 10th grade geometry because it wasn't enough to know how to get to the answer. We also had to write the name of the proof or theorem we used at each step of the problem and I already struggled remembering formulas now you're adding an additional layer of poo poo to remember on top of that?

gently caress you Mr Yoder.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

I remember doing incredibly bad during that part of 10th grade geometry because it wasn't enough to know how to get to the answer. We also had to write the name of the proof or theorem we used at each step of the problem and I already struggled remembering formulas now you're adding an additional layer of poo poo to remember on top of that?

gently caress you Mr Yoder.

Every math test past like 5th grade should be open book, open calculator.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

I did real well in college when I took math classes that we're this. I took a stats class once and struggled to get a D, then I hit Quantitative Methods (stats with a fancy name) and she said "if you get a job running numbers in a lab you will never do any of this math. Here's hand-outs, you can bring a calculator and notes, and also every formula will be on the exam"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Len posted:

I did real well in college when I took math classes that we're this. I took a stats class once and struggled to get a D, then I hit Quantitative Methods (stats with a fancy name) and she said "if you get a job running numbers in a lab you will never do any of this math. Here's hand-outs, you can bring a calculator and notes, and also every formula will be on the exam"

Yeah, it's dumb as poo poo we make kids memorize all this. no one who does it for a living memorizes it all, and no one who doesn't do it for a living needs to know more than the times tables and order of operations in their real life, and the last one is only if they care about shopping with coupons during a sale.

I think kids should be exposed to mathematics outside what's gonna be required of them because it forces you to think in different ways, but memorizing formulas is mostly useless. If you need them you'll memorize them from shear repetition.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, I have a feeling the "I'll just do this from memory" guy gets weeded out pretty early in a math intensive field.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Facebook Aunt posted:

Non-Euclidean geometry is mostly just disappointing. Years of hearing it drives men mad and then there is a Wikipedia article and it is merely kinda bulgy.
like you've never gone crazy over a nice set of bulges

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I do math, and I don't remember anything that I don't frequently use. I do know where to look things up, though. That's a crucial skill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea, I have a feeling the "I'll just do this from memory" guy gets weeded out pretty early in a math intensive field.

Being able to memorize things isn't a useful skill in terms of job availability. A waiter who doesn't need to write down your order when it's a large table and there's multiple substitutions is still a waiter and doesn't have an easier time getting a better waiter job than the guy who has to write poo poo down but still gives good service.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Skwirl posted:

They tend to be when you get to more advanced courses in college/grad school, but it's way more difficult to teach a group of kids deductive reasoning, conceptual thinking, and creative problem solving than it is to make them memorize a bunch of formulas.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
when Lovecraft said 'non-euclidean' he meant impossible space kind of poo poo, like you walk across a room and go through a door and you end up back where you started at the other side of the room. Yes he used the wrong term but its loving obvious he didn't mean you should be scared of bendy lines you goddamn nerds

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
then maybe that's what he should have said instead of mashing through terms he didn't understand

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think that’s more interesting. You nerd

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also if the man hated AC how can you be sure bendy lines aren’t also terrifying

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

then maybe that's what he should have said instead of mashing through terms he didn't understand

Have you ever read a science fiction story involving science the author didn't actually understand?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Skwirl posted:

Have you ever read a science fiction story involving science the author didn't actually understand?

Yes, they're generally terrible.

imo

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Read After Burning posted:

No more tweets about whale-loving. :(
I'm sure someone else will come forward to fill the gap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yes, they're generally terrible.

imo

So all science fiction?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lovecraft used the phrase "non-euclidean" like less than five times total, the word he used for scary poo poo he didn't understand about ten times more often than that is "cyclopean"

dunno why all the hangers-on latched on to non-euclidean though

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/bambooney/status/1407789029534453761?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

lovecraft used the phrase "non-euclidean" like less than five times total, the word he used for scary poo poo he didn't understand about ten times more often than that is "cyclopean"

I was a bit annoyed when I looked up what cyclopean actually means in that context and yeah motherfucker was afraid of dry stone walls lmao.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Much of Lovecraft's work was done for magazines that paid by the word, and that explains a lot about his prose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hemingway's writing was done for magazines that paid by the word, too. Most American magazines, to this day, pay by the word.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Lovecraft: gotta get this to 10 000 words or else I can't afford my block of ice based air conditioning, perhaps a perusal of this phrenology textbook will inspire me

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/jtimberlake/status/1407861389301981191?s=21

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
the bent typically scare the rigidly straight, yes

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rockman Reserve posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclopean_masonry

2 spooky 4 me

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/bofadibeppo/status/1407828039711420419

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My first guess is that he was thinking of Cyclops?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well that's literally why it's called that. "Holy poo poo, it looks like a big rear end cyclops or something put this together!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just ask the local Cyclops, they'll tell you Nobody built them

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Yeah, that's the one I'd get.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

booooo

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Brawnfire posted:

hahahaha

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Brawnfire posted:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Brawnfire posted:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, that's the one I'd get.

Would I?

Peg leg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah, if I could bring back Lovecraft to life for like five minutes I'd spend four just terrorizing him with facts about famous black people, then the last just saying "Cyclopean just means made of stone blocks, non-Euclidean just means curves, and Chthonic just means subterranean."