Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the marvel pride issue from today has a lot of X-Men related stories, both on Krakoa and from previous eras

as a cis white man, i thought it was a good and sweet collection of stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that but marvel released solicitations and I am thinking no. I am thinking it’s killing someone who tried to kill her, as it mentions a split and she is the devil in their eyes. It would also cause a huge interstellar incident as it’s the mother of the husband of a mayor ally.

That sounds reasonable; some mutants would think that she deserves to be killed and would be angry at Magneto stopping that, though I do wonder who would try to kill Wanda (and I guess it must be a human, so Magneto breaks one of the 3 laws).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The violent death is Magneto is a Bucks fan and violently rips the adamantium skeleton out of Coach Bud.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 24, 2021

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I cannot believe I just read a comic where Stacy-X was an interesting character.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Maduo posted:

It'll most likely be Magneto killing Wanda but y'know, not really Magneto or not really killing Wanda. Going fully into red string speculation land the last few panels of SWORD are conspicuously showing Magneto's helmet on the table and not on his head, the helmet thats really really well established as being Magneto's defense against psychics.

e: spoilering stuff just to be safe

Fabian Cortez is walking around with one of Magneto's helmets, too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cloks posted:

the marvel pride issue from today has a lot of X-Men related stories, both on Krakoa and from previous eras

as a cis white man, i thought it was a good and sweet collection of stories

Also magneto and iceman had a sweet moment, speaking of his helmet

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
This is a small nitpick but I've seen it wrong enough times on this thread to say....the word for mutants of Arakko is Arakkii...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

I may have missed this but is Cerebro backing up the Arrako folks?

They're mutants, Cerebro is backing up all of the mutants.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

I'm biased because I mostly hate the Arrako stuff but I think they've set them up to be fodder down the road. I think Mars is wiped out by Nimrod at the end of all this. There's a Chekovs Gun thing here with creating a bunch new faceless characters in a story about the genocide of those types of people.

I may have missed this but is Cerebro backing up the Arrako folks?

Yeah I could see it going either way. ORCHIS pulling a Genosha 2.0 on a planetary scale would serve as a good story point (and from a meta standpoint, would clear the board so no one has to ask "Hey wait aren't there a bunch of super powerful mutants on Mars? What are they doing?" the next time aliens attack)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doom knows he's hosed up but just has to continue with things just for appearances sake.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fabian Cortez is walking around with one of Magneto's helmets, too.

I mean, in X-Men Red (I think it was Red) it was mass produced so presumably there's a shitload of them around.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but has that been explicitly stated anywhere?

The Arakkii (hmph) talked a lot of poo poo but Krakoa but I didn't hear anyone counter with "Well, we have a perpetual life machine made up of some of our folk so maybe you need to be a little less rude, Worm-Guy-Who-Makes-Soil."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Is it backing up Arakii though? So far we've seen (at least with their inner circle) they're a pretty walled off society and I can easily see them going "keep out of our heads, psychic boy". Plus they don't have an M-Day or Genosha to be recovering people from, plus they're a warrior culture who might be all just fine with death so long as it's in glorious battle :black101:

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It's been a while since I read the Arakko exposition, but wasn't it implied that they also had access to some form of resurrection process?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

glitchwraith posted:

It's been a while since I read the Arakko exposition, but wasn't it implied that they also had access to some form of resurrection process?

The White Sword dude had the power to resurrect his 100 warriors every day after battle but I don't think that system is universal for all of them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think kurt is waxing catholic reactionary because he is not cool with pretty much anything that is happening so he's overcompensating. kurt knows things aren't right but he can't quite figure out what those things are, how they are wrong, and most importantly what, if anything, to do about it. it's one long panic attack.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

danbanana posted:

The White Sword dude had the power to resurrect his 100 warriors every day after battle but I don't think that system is universal for all of them.

plus you end up tied to him as a servant so it's not a great deal

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Way of X? More like Way to many fuckin ideas all crammed into one book. Exploring the consequences of the first "law" and the idea of what to do about mutants who want to be together but aren't compatible at a physiological level, and what it would really be like if we knew more about someone else on a core level than they would willingly share, those are all neat things to explore, but throwing some kinda evil psychic hate-monster into the mix at the same time, it's too much. Ten pounds of story in a five pound bag. I got whiplash reading it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
At first I didn't think much about mutants just randomly dropping off their babies on the ground somewhere like pepsi cans, but the more I thought about it the more loving insane it is? Like what even is the point of this information? What exactly is Spurrier trying to say? 'Cuz it sounds like he's trying to say this is just good ol' progressive mutant society at work and Kurt is being a bit of a prude for not wanting babies to get yeeted at the local brothel's backyard like it ain't completely insane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

At first I didn't think much about mutants just randomly dropping off their babies on the ground somewhere like pepsi cans, but the more I thought about it the more loving insane it is? Like what even is the point of this information? What exactly is Spurrier trying to say? 'Cuz it sounds like he's trying to say this is just good ol' progressive mutant society at work and Kurt is being a bit of a prude for not wanting babies to get yeeted at the local brothel's backyard like it ain't completely insane.

I don't think that's what he's trying to say at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I wasn't much of a fan of this issue. Seemed a big misstep from the first two.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BrianWilly posted:

I think Stacy is demonstrating her locale here which is simultaneously satisfying the need for spaces for intimacy and taking care of the mutant infants that often result from said intimacy, especially in the face of the 'make more mutants' rule. These are both side effects of that rule, but are they negative ones? How much of that is Kurt's (and the reader's?) pre-existing assumptions? There are also positive results - the infants are being cared for, even abandoned ones, and the tall lady whose name escapes me is clearly enormously glad to be caring for them.

Is this system wrong? If so, is it wrong because of harms it is doing, or because it is different from the pre-existing model?
Is it better?
Is it more or less equivalent, but potentially more in tune with the stated values of mutant society?

The problem in this comic is that it's half these high concept sci-fi elaborations and half, uh, the other part with the psychic ghosts.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Look there are a lot of big sentences here but my main point is that there has got to be a less utterly unhinged way to establish mutant systems of fosterage, adoption, and childcare than to drop babies in the shrubbery and walking away to gently caress some more.

Also as a sidenote in regards to Beast:

BrianWilly posted:

You can't just be ruthless if your plans keep failing! Your ruthless plans have to actually work!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stacy ain't the one ditching the kids, holmes

Though I mean if you want to say 'this was poorly thought out as an introduction and exploration of an idea,' fair enough. But it isn't like it came out of nowhere in the context of the plot. Rogue also had some concerns because she didn't want to have a child yet felt there would be pressure on her to do so.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah it struck me as weird and kind of a reading of "Make More Mutants" at odds with what we've seen. Krakoa seems to be a pretty sex positive place-- we have also seen characters like Gambit and Rogue deciding not to make more mutants. I never took the implication as being that they were, then, just sitting in separate single beds with a little nightstand in between them every night. Contraceptives suddenly being treated as this big taboo was.... peculiar. For this issue to hold together, Spurrier simultaneously made Krakoan society way more conservative about sex ("Condoms?? In MY jungle???") and way more cavalier about sex (babies strewn hither and yon, willy nilly, higglety pigglety) than it has been shown as at any point prior.

Very strange-- and you know, this would work, maybe if it was world-building for a brand new setting full of brand new characters, but we have been living with Krakoa for about two years at this point, and have about 60 years of stories featuring many of these characters to draw on, so it feels like weird to say "yes, these are the characters who live in this bananas allegorical world." Like-- although we know that many of the mutants on Krakoa are not "name" characters, the propensity of artists to populate crowd scenes with familiar faces, while fun, gives us a perhaps skewed sense of scale, a sense that Krakoa's populace is largely made up of people we know and love. So my instinct is to say, like, ok, mutants are just leaving babies lying around in the woods. Who's doing that? Is it Jean Grey? Is it Boom Boom? Is it Toad? Just leaving it up to "some mutants," even "a bunch of mutants" feels cheap and a bit shoddy. It makes a small personal/psychological drama (the didactic interplay between Nightcrawler and Stacy) out of what should be a huge and unusual element of mutant society that people have opinions about which feels like a pretty grave miscalibration of what kind of story this is and what kind of scale it wants to operate on.

I really like Si Spurrier, I liked the first two issues of this, I even liked bits and pieces of #3 quite a bit, but the more I sit with it the more I think he tried something ambitious but whiffed it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Look there are a lot of big sentences here but my main point is that there has got to be a less utterly unhinged way to establish mutant systems of fosterage, adoption, and childcare than to drop babies in the shrubbery and walking away to gently caress some more.

Also as a sidenote in regards to Beast:

I think pretty much every state in the country has a law similar to this.

https://www.dcyf.wa.gov/safety/safety-newborn-law

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like, in fairness, Stacey makes it seem like the babydroppers have advanced from literally just leaving them hidden in the bushes to actually entering her building to hand their babies to another living person.

It still feels...I dunno, best example I can give is like the end of Battlestar Galactica where everyone abandons their spaceships to go do farming and it's presented as this bittersweet leaving behind of their old broken ways and an introduction to a new way of life, except no, actually, what they're doing is still really weird if you think about it for more than a minute.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Part of the problem that I think Way of X is trying to address (whether you think it succeeds at it is another matter) is that aside from the 3 laws, the entirety of the focus of the council has been on external threats and diplomacy. The closest to any sort of actual internal governance has been in New Mutants and X-Factor when those respective groups identified a problem they were told "you guys deal with it."

It's a post scarcity society with immortality, so yeah, they don't need to worry about poo poo like distribution of resources or a social safety net, and I'm not saying they should be ordering people around but people need more guidance than "here's unlimited food, don't kill anyone of a species you're likely to never meet again if you stay here."

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think the thesis statement of Way of X is the "derangement of the infinite" page from #2. Krakoa has defeated scarcity and death so gently caress it, why not let a priest muzzle stuff you or dump a baby in the woods? No one in charge seems to care and there's no morality to answer to if you're going to be reborn a thousand times. We're not supposed to think the baby dump or dying for kicks is good, they're indications that Krakoa will eventually slide into Slaaneshi style chaos without some grander purpose to set people forward. But we also see Kurt is currently fully unprepared to deal with these issues yet let alone solve them. I do hope he makes the turn towards that soon because there's only so many issues of Kurt gawking at hedonism that I can take.

Also Onslaught pushing buttons does muddle things up because we need a big bad guy to mind punch I guess. Trying to sort that out and the ethics of Krakoa in the same book feels cramped to say the least, but I'm more intrigued as to where this is going than say X-Corp or X-Force right now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I really liked the moment in New Mutants a few issue ago in which Dani chases down this kid who has slipped into Otherworld. It turns out that he wants to stay-- he has this kind of demonic appearance and has found a city of friendly Nosferatu-looking guys who he'd like to live with, and when Dani implores him to consider that he'd be mortal there he responds along the lines of "yeah, I've been mortal for most of my life. I'll deal with it."

Mutants have been on Krakoa for what? The timescale seems slippery but I suppose at least nine months unless a) a lot of mutants arrived pregnant or b) there are a lot of mutants who for whatever reason have unusually fast pregnancies, that is a pretty short amount of time to completely rewrite one's sense of the universe on a moral and cosmological scale. Which I think is one of the fun things about Way of X when it's landing-- Kurt is finally cracking down and peering into the true weirdness of picking through what Krakoa means for how people live their lives and treat other people.

Like-- the Crucible issue. We had already established that many people who ordinarily would not come to hoot and hollar at bloodsport and ritual murder now do so. This was presented from the outset as kind of a "what the gently caress" thing. But Spurrier's Kurt and his kind of gentle wise-fool schtick allowed that be amplified to the "what the fuuuuck" that the concept seems to merit.

That does not quite seem so earned here because it seems so out of left field. It is extrapolating from a premise that feels so hazy and so detached from the story-so-far that it just kinds of seems like a ludicrous thing. Like, sure-- people abandon their babies, people get pregnant and don't have the means or desire to raise a kid, people grow up in extended or nontraditional families, I'm adopted myself, I get it. And I think there's a great story here: the law says "make more mutants" but not everybody wants to be or is prepared to be a parent. Which raises questions about what family means on Krakoa, and what community means on Krakoa, and I think that Spurrier has some lovely scenes about this. But he goes way too big way too fast. Babies just littered around the forest! And somehow Stacy X uses her astonishing secondary mutation of Baby Sense to find them! Nobody else has heard about this or heard babies crying in the woods at night!

It presupposes a level of fantasy distance from the real world that doesn't really make sense here. Because of course what's stopping a pregnant mutant from just taking a portal to somewhere else and going to a Planned Parenthood and getting an abortion? Or taking a portal to an adoption agency? Or taking a portal to Walgreen's and buying some condoms? These are kind of weird, granular questions, but I feel like it's a weakness of Way of X, which begins from the premise of "ok, time to ask the weird, granular questions" if they're just going to go "but not THOSE weird, granular questions."

Oh well! I'm still invested in the book, it's certainly not bad on a par with Fallen Angels or baffling like Children of the Atom or X-Corp or as boring (to me, I know both books have their fans) like Wolverine and X-Force. It's an ambitious book that is trying to do something challenging which I guess offers the potential of failure. I'd rather read a book that tries to juggle four good ideas inelegantly than one like Wolverine which competently juggles one middling idea ("oh! it's Wolverine!").

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 25, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That just reminded me that I didn't see Children of the Atom in the new solicits. Is it already canceled?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Just assume 95% of them are from every deadbeat mutant dad who got with a human who didn't want to keep a mutant baby on the planet. And 30% of that is just god drat Azazel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'd probably be more interested in the mutant babies part if it were like human parents leaving their obviously mutant children at the Krakoan gates in the hope that they could have a better life in the mutant utopia.

As is, I just hope they don't dwell on it too much, and we can just say there's a mutant nursery. "Takes a village to raise a mutant" something something. Kind of off issue, but I'm still on board for this increasingly weird cast.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Adder Moray posted:

Just assume 95% of them are from every deadbeat mutant dad who got with a human who didn't want to keep a mutant baby on the planet. And 30% of that is just god drat Azazel.

I really don't think we can safely attribute any less than 30% of the total to Sinister loving around with weird clone combinations off-camera.

"Yeah, this one is what would happen if Colossus and Mystique had a kid. I don't know what I expected." [gently underhands the baby into the bushes]

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I really don't think we can safely attribute any less than 30% of the total to Sinister loving around with weird clone combinations off-camera.

"Yeah, this one is what would happen if Colossus and Mystique had a kid. I don't know what I expected." [gently underhands the baby into the bushes]
Dr. Nemesis touched on this one, but it would absolutely make sense if Sinister was just running a boutique baby outlet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

That just reminded me that I didn't see Children of the Atom in the new solicits. Is it already canceled?

It was a mini, I thought? Marvel just refuses to put that on the covers these days. Which is bizarre. No-one's stopping them from just doing a Transformers and making a miniseries into an ongoing if it sells good

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Children of the Atom is up there with Fallen Angels imho. Don't know how you write four issues with no plot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the condom thing was kurt seeing a mysterious hooded figure going around passing stuff around. that it was condoms rather than anything nefarious seemed to hit an old vestigial catholic reflex when he was already ready to be mad. then stacy kept on hitting him with more and more shocking things that had been happening right under his nose. once kurt had a minute to chill and think he stopped being accusatory.

i doubt anyone on the council even cares about contraceptives except maybe exodus, who is a dumbass medieval fanatic whose secondary mutation is being wrong at all times. the baby thing is pretty out there, but it just goes to demonstrate how far up their own asses the council are. kurt is the only council member looking at what is happening on krakoa, and he very clearly has no idea what he is doing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
In a twist, my X-Read group decided that post-Eve of Destruction, we should read something good so we're gonna do Inferno, including the Daredevil-fights-a-loving-vacuum-cleaner so I am pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Way of X 3 does seem a bit weaker because they're dealing with an event and an active baddie in addition to the regular stuff that it does. also you'd think there'd be better contraceptives than condoms from krakoa :V