Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bioshuffle posted:

Hell yes. It is more evidence that the developers have a good head on their shoulders. I am super psyched for the updates. Quality always wins over quantity.

Yeah I'm always willing to see updates pushed back when it's a quality issue.

I am however a little worried about the part where they may show things that don't make it into the game. That never goes well, people get mad about "broken promises" and go for the devs throats. It's usually something that only happens until the first time something is cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

Hell yes. It is more evidence that the developers have a good head on their shoulders. I am super psyched for the updates. Quality always wins over quantity.

:agreed:

I don't particularly mind if they take their time as long as the content is good. Give me some huge as gently caress giants in the Mistlands in a few months and I'm content.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

pik_d posted:

Yeah I'm always willing to see updates pushed back when it's a quality issue.

I am however a little worried about the part where they may show things that don't make it into the game. That never goes well, people get mad about "broken promises" and go for the devs throats. It's usually something that only happens until the first time something is cut.

Yeah but on the other hand: who cares about those children

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The AMA is live: https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/nxcbbl/valheim_developer_ama_now_live/

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Yeah but on the other hand: who cares about those children

Devs get tired of the hate and stop being so open about their new things that may or may not make it in, from my experience.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Someone posted a highlight of answered questions: https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/nxpaq2/developer_ama_110621_summary/

They've hired 3 more devs who will start in August is probably the biggest thing to me, but there's tons of other stuff in there

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The big thing for me is that they are adding new monsters/animals for Hearth and Home, so basically beefing up the existing biomes a bit, which is good.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A bit sad that they don't seem to plan on adding draft animals any time soon. Riding around on a wagon would be cool.

Shingles/shakes as another roof option is nice. Having wattle and daub walls would have been cool, doesn't look like that's coming though.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 16, 2021

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I picked this up when a few friends started playing it recently and it's grabbed my attention way more than any other game in recent history. I killed the Elder but have been trying to not use anything from post-killing him until we can get together as a group and kill him. Trying to Temporal Prime Directive it if you will.

I really like the building aspect. I spent far too many hours this weekend putting together a hunting lodge type building.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Patch notes

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/2998816540580086325

Go forth and build your Maypoles

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

quote:

Monster AI tweaks (More aggressively attacking structures when unable to attack the player among other things)

Cool, so now deconstructing your boat as soon as you get off it is 100% mandatory

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Maypole craftable threw me for a while. Had to go pick up the ingredients to make it before the game would recognize it was craftable... just like everything else ever but man I found dandelions and thistle a looooong time ago.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Cool, so now deconstructing your boat as soon as you get off it is 100% mandatory

It would be nice if building safe harbors was more doable.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

I've gone to some extreme lengths to do this and hoooooly poo poo do monsters take it as a personal insult that a boat exists. Fuckers have gone almost out to render distance then back to get around my sea walls then swimming out IN TO the sea past my docks to sit in the water and swing at my boats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure making the AI more prone to vandalism is really improving the game.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I made a setup where I'd build temporary wooden walls around the path to the boat for when it was parked and just deconstruct them before leaving.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Reik posted:

I made a setup where I'd build temporary wooden walls around the path to the boat for when it was parked and just deconstruct them before leaving.

Can the boats fit through half submerged wooden gates?

Can you attach beams/whatever to the door itself to make the effective gate wider?

:thunk:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I literally just make a boat when I need one. I have exactly what I need to make a boat near a portal, go there through my hub, pick it up, and go back to wherever I want to launch from. Then I plop down a portal when I get to a new island so I can return my boat ingredients to their storage bin.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

pik_d posted:

Can you attach beams/whatever to the door itself to make the effective gate wider?

Yes to the first, if it's a Karve.

No to the second.

I understand that we can just manually break our boats and stash the materials, but that's lame and feels "gamey". I'm sure there's a mod out there that disables monster aggro on boats, I should find one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So if you build a fence tunnel leading to a boat and position yourself out of reach, will mobs line up and form a shooting gallery for you?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

pik_d posted:

I never tried half submerged gates, but a longship is 6m wide so I'm not sure if that would work. I guess you could put like, a 1m gap between them if that's a small enough gap to still keep whatever monsters out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I built piers out into the water with berths between them for the boats (an workshops on the piers that stopped local spawns). It was in the plains and literally never attached by monsters.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Floppychop posted:

Yes to the first, if it's a Karve.

No to the second.

I understand that we can just manually break our boats and stash the materials, but that's lame and feels "gamey". I'm sure there's a mod out there that disables monster aggro on boats, I should find one.

Reik posted:

I never tried half submerged gates, but a longship is 6m wide so I'm not sure if that would work. I guess you could put like, a 1m gap between them if that's a small enough gap to still keep whatever monsters out.

That's a shame. If they add wider gates in the Hearth & Home update that would be a great idea.

PittTheElder posted:

I built piers out into the water with berths between them for the boats (an workshops on the piers that stopped local spawns). It was in the plains and literally never attached by monsters.

Yeah the point is that there's been an AI update for attacking structures.

* Random save bug-fix (Solves a very unusual case of world corruption caused when shutting down)
* Monster AI tweaks (More aggressively attacking structures when unable to attack the player among other things)
* Open container fix (Fixes issue where you had to click a container multiple times to open it in multiplayer)
* Taught Greydwarfs to throw better
* Event trigger tweaks (Wolf event only triggers after Bonemass has been killed, Moder army can trigger in mountains etc.)
* Long forgotten Blob event enabled
* SFX volume setting fix (Used wrong DB conversion)
* Maypole enabled (Happy midsummer!)
* AI flee behaviour tweaks (Bosses don’t run from you anymore)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I build piers and if need be dredge the area around the boat so you have to swim. Mobs never attack my boats. Mobs wont swim.

Only deer swim iirc.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 24, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've seen grey dwarves swim.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Trolls will also wade in after you

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Everything swims, I have goblins swimming into my base all the time in the plains.

I doubt the boat thing will be an issue, monsters tend to ignore structures if you aren't nearby (since nothing happens when you aren't nearby). Just might need to kill nearby critters when you land now.

I suspect the change is more attacking your structures when they can't reach you. I did a lot of sniping at things from towers in the plains and monsters wouldn't even attack the walls that much to try to get to me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Does anyone have any counter-argument to the fact that mace/blunt weapons are the best melee weapons in the game? I'm not even talking about late game weapons like the porcupine, because I don't have one yet. I've been rocking the bronze then iron maces and they seem like a perfect compliment to the bow no matter where I am.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The sword seems to do a wider cut that can hit multiple enemies more reliably. Other than that nope.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I have never seem a mob swim. Wade in walkable shallow water? Yes. Swim? No.

Only deer.

Make the area around the dock deep enough and they won’t go further.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

I have never seem a mob swim.

I have. Now what?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ravenfood posted:

I wish they added some mechanism so you can just attach your boat or just have a drat anchor so they don't just float away.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

dialhforhero posted:

I have never seem a mob swim. Wade in walkable shallow water? Yes. Swim? No.

Only deer.

Make the area around the dock deep enough and they won’t go further.

They swim all the time, dude.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Except for skeletons, they just walk on the seafloor

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

bird food bathtub posted:

I've gone to some extreme lengths to do this and hoooooly poo poo do monsters take it as a personal insult that a boat exists. Fuckers have gone almost out to render distance then back to get around my sea walls then swimming out IN TO the sea past my docks to sit in the water and swing at my boats.

Yeah, I play a bone stock game with no cheats, but deciding to say gently caress it and using console for boats has been a game changer in terms of quality of life.

Speaking of which, what are the best quality of life mods that don't affect difficulty? (ie I don't want to be able to take iron through portals).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Furism posted:

I wish they added some mechanism so you can just attach your boat or just have a drat anchor so they don't just float away.

I've never had my boat float at all. Once you jump out they've always come to a complete stop and stayed that way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ravenfood posted:

I've never had my boat float at all. Once you jump out they've always come to a complete stop and stayed that way.

The game only renders the area around your character(s) so nothing is going to happen while you're away. No floating boats, no coming back to a destroyed house because the trolls gangbanged it while you were in swamp dungeons. No farm growth, no smelting, no nothing. Stasis is a pretty common mechanic in these sorts of games, Medieval Dynasty did it too.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Well I don't know what happened then because my boat was definitely gone once or twice! I'll put it on account of a bug then.

boloney
May 29, 2021
Does rain decay eventually destroy wood? If not, is there any gameplay disadvantage to having wood at 50% durability besides making them more easily destroyed by monsters?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
No, it just changes it to look weathered, just don't drag a troll over to your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rain will damage uncovered wood to 50%, but won't completely destroy it.