Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

AHH F/UGH posted:

I've erased out the names and phone numbers and stuff but this was literally just sent to our entire 3000 person multi-state company

I don't know about you but I'm excited to see what surprise is in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I'll keep the inbox refreshed, and the chessboard ready.

I mean, I'll update everyone next week once I find out what exactly it is that I and everyone else is going to love - which I'm pretty sure could only be some kind of big bonus or more money, but hey, that's just me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bananas in the break room, baby!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

That's as good as free money!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Apparently 3rd party vendors are having issues with ordering because one of my vendors double ordered an iPhone 12 Pro Max and I had to tell the dept that ordered that phone that they now have a thousand dollar phone sitting around or credit with the vendor since Apple won't accept the return despite the phone being unopened.

The other vendor's automated script double and in some cases, triple ordered phones off of upgrades so I dunno what the gently caress happened there.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TotalLossBrain posted:

I hope you are refreshing your inbox

drat, I've been a loving dumbass all this time then . . . I just let my inbox refresh itself, and sometimes I even kill the mail client so I don't get distracted with notifications!

I wonder how many amazing things I have missed out on now :ohdear:

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

AHH F/UGH posted:

I've erased out the names and phone numbers and stuff but this was literally just sent to our entire 3000 person multi-state company

Sounds like layoffs are afoot.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

Zoom mindfulness sessions! A chance to frankly discuss your personal and professional concerns under the watchful eye of HR. If you have medical concerns that preclude the deep breathing sessions please feel free to opt out so everyone can speculate on whats wrong with you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They're installing those Amazon yelling booths.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

McGavin posted:

They're installing those Amazon yelling booths.

Please, the technical term is “despair closet”

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Aren't those wage cages?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Cancelling all Covid safety measures three weeks before the more contagious and more deadly Delta variant washes over the country. :allears:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Not gonna lie: you poor bastards are making me feel better about my dumb work poo poo which is normal humdrum “do more with less” like “we cannot afford to buy a replacement for the now out of warranty and service storage device this year, cannabalize that other one for spares and dont ever power it off”

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
Before one of the directors goes overseas he has in his bi-weekly group meeting's agenda that his group needs to come back in the office minimum 2 days a week effective next week. Our group hasn't set any deadline for when folks need to come back to the office and so far has just clarified that folks who aren't supervisors will have up to 4 days per week of telework once it's decided to resume semi-normal office attendance. Our office building sucks and outside of the network bandwidth being OK (compared to the VPN) it smells like mildew, the parking sucks, the construction noise sucks, and it's far less productive than working at home. Also most of the other teams are still on full time telework for at least a few more weeks because nobody else at a higher director level has said "you have to come back next week!" Even then they're more likely to only require their team to come into the office 1 day/week, as-allowed by current direction.

Also we've got the same "I'm vaccinated and don't need to wear a mask!" honor system that every organization in the US seems to be rolling out. At our last group-wide conference call somebody asked if they could force people who were vaccinated to wear a mask because they said it wasn't safe to be around vaccinated people who didn't wear masks. Dumb poo poo your work does - entertain the rantings of the utterly deranged.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mindstorm posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does - entertain the rantings of the utterly deranged.

But enough about the Marketing department :colbert:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

zedprime posted:

I think this understates how many people 30-45 are absolute poo poo at Windows.

E. Meanwhile I see an absolute champion zoomer asking on Slack how to load a Java profile into EMACS like it's 1997 again :corsair:

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that all of my generation Just Get It, or even a majority!

Just that, for as long as Windows (as we know it, anyway) is the dominant platform at work, we may have already seen the high-water mark w/r/t people just showing up with that as a basic skill which can just be taken for granted. Which is depressing enough in and of itself, I think.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

If it doesn't include dicks, and preferably a lot of dicks, you should put in your notice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Friends, I've heard our next company party theme described as "Mapplethorpeian"

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.

AHH F/UGH posted:

We are so excited to share that wfh has been cancelled and you get to come in effective next week! Enjoy some donut!*

*Donuts are not guaranteed.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a major retailer is requesting that our dev team work during a company shutdown/mandated post-covid holiday period and after-hours/weekends to try to account for delays that have 100% been on their end and. . . . . . . . the managers on our side are basically laughing directly in their faces during heated calls and telling them to read the SOW contract, while pricing out and estimating delivery times on change order requests

i.....uh

how did i get here? this is not my beautiful job. this is not my beautiful management team.

i've been with this company for about a million loving years in Industry Years (which are like dog years but way loving stupider) and i can count on one hand the number of times our management has dealt with a client's absolutely absurd demands in a way other than bending over backwards for them and asking for more. and NEVER with a high-profile client like this. that's kind of an indictment of how egregious this client is being, but still, holy poo poo, it's really cool to see.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yesterday I was invited to a meeting where the organizer, as well as the other person who initiated the topic, straight up said they would not be joining that very meeting, like right in the meeting request. There were some underlings sent instead who knew some details but not WTF is going on at a higher level. This might be the most bizarre that happened recently.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 24, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

Friends, I've heard our next company party theme described as "Mapplethorpeian"

So I googled Mapplethorpe's work, and I think I found your party costume:

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/jDZWQtE.jpg:nws:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
On the general theme of old people retiring:

My father in law bought a business from a mother and son team. The son was 50ish and immediately took off to whatever plans he had for retirement. The mom wanted to stay on for 6 months at least. The day after my FIL took over she yelled at me for driving the fork truck wrong and got super pissed when I told her I had just come fresh off safety training and was driving it exactly as I was taught. Tried to show me and FIL how to count the cash drawer at the end of the shift. For the record I had tons of experience tallying basic receipts and my FIL owned another site already and previously was part owner in a site three times as large, but apparently we needed her to tell us how the number goes up and down based on money in/money out. There's probably a dozen other very basic things that I'm forgetting now but she clearly thought we had no idea what we were doing and wanted things exactly the way she had been doing it for 30+ years.

The second day she was visibly upset when we tore the old cobweb and dust covered office apart to rebuild it with proper shelving instead of three random different sized desks that looked like they were bought from separate yard sales.

She didn't come in the third day or ever again. My FIL was very relived.

Fake edit: to be clear she's still alive like ten years later. On a reading I realized the last line could have been misinterpreted given her age.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Bishopvi posted:

We are so excited to share that wfh has been cancelled and you get to come in effective next week!

The reason? "We know many of you miss the collaborative and stimulating feeling of a being with your colleagues, at the expense of a soul-crushing commute and working for manager who needs to tower over his employees for that long-missed power trip."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t even wanna do my job now, get me the gently caress out so I can never look at this poo poo again.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rockman Reserve posted:

i can count on one hand the number of times our management has dealt with a client's absolutely absurd demands in a way other than bending over backwards for them and asking for more.

This sounds oddly suspicious. Is it possible your managers aren't up charging this problematic client to get that sweet, sweet bonus later while saddling you with the extra work?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mindstorm posted:

Also we've got the same "I'm vaccinated and don't need to wear a mask!" honor system that every organization in the US seems to be rolling out. At our last group-wide conference call somebody asked if they could force people who were vaccinated to wear a mask because they said it wasn't safe to be around vaccinated people who didn't wear masks. Dumb poo poo your work does - entertain the rantings of the utterly deranged.

My heartless megacorp is requiring you submit a form and show a vaccination card if you want to go maskless. There was no word on how they'll identify if you actually proved any of this, but I'm assuming that was to catch out the people who were just going to go maskless without following process. No mask without approval is grounds for termination after a couple strikes, so this should be fun. The company has also firmly slapped down vaccine conspiracy theories in multiple updates and executive-level-updates-employees emails which is kind of impressive for a company that spends a lot of money influencing Republican elected officials primarily.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t even wanna do my job now, get me the gently caress out so I can never look at this poo poo again.

I resigned today. Yay, I am free! ... to go to another job ... in 90 days time.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

~Coxy posted:

Someone did the same thing at my work with a boarding pass.
(I wish I had put something on the photo for scale. The chair-back kinda helps.)

I found someone's tax information in my local printer. He's not even on my floor. He owns 4 properties and I could have taken him for literally millions.
Went up to his floor and found him, gave him the papers. The response? "Oh, uh okay. Ummm thanks?" Not "Where did you get this?" or " How did this happen?"

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Xaintrailles posted:

Grats! Today's my last day at my current job. Start my new one in two weeks, but it'll be nice to actually have some extended time off.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’m also starting a new job next week, one that should be much better than my last. And while I’m happy for all you goons who had quick turnarounds between jobs, for me it’s been a very stressful 5 months. Here’s some dumb poo poo that a lot of companies do: ghost candidates after a goddam interview. All they had to do was send a simple rejection email so I’m not hanging in limbo for a couple weeks, but apparently such a basic courtesy is too hard.

Throwing applications into the void sucked, but at least there were a decent number of jobs in my field popping up. Problem was there’s an even greater number of people competing for them around here. Sure didn’t help that my former company put a lot of people in the same boat cause of some dumb poo poo that they did.

At the beginning of the year they informed us that they were letting go of a third of my department. I never got exact numbers but it was a big department, so that was something like 80 people. It wasn’t COVID-related, since we bounced back pretty quickly after the initial quarantine lull. In fact we had been working constant mandatory overtime for months leading up to the announcement. The company just wanted to ship the work overseas to save a buck. No wonder they didn’t hire up when we were obviously understaffed.

Not everyone was out on their rear end immediately though. I was part of the first wave so I was out the door within 2 weeks, but some folks were still there until this month. On the one hand they had a lot more time to prepare, but on the other they couldn’t leave early without forfeiting their severance package. I wonder how well they performed with that knowledge hanging over their heads for months.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BastardAus posted:

I found someone's tax information in my local printer. He's not even on my floor. He owns 4 properties and I could have taken him for literally millions.
Went up to his floor and found him, gave him the papers. The response? "Oh, uh okay. Ummm thanks?" Not "Where did you get this?" or " How did this happen?"

Hahaha people do that all the time. Whenever I print something not-work related I'm hovering by the printer to pick it up. I ignore the tax stuff but when someone left their immigration paper work in the printer for half the day with every possible bit of personal data face up I mentioned it to a good guy manager and he followed up.

Not work related but in college we had computer labs in the library that were a good option for printing projects or working outside of your dorm room. The printers were shared across 20 or so computers so near the end of the semester if you needed to print a 15 page paper you'd probably be in the printer queue for a few minutes. A student decided this was a good time to put fancy paper in the machine for a resume then announce to the headphone wearing room that everyone needed to stop printing until her project came through. So for next half hour confused students wondered why pages 24 and 25 of their term paper were printed on weird paper and I think she ran out of paper before getting the resume.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

runchild posted:

Here’s some dumb poo poo that a lot of companies do: ghost candidates after a goddam interview. All they had to do was send a simple rejection email so I’m not hanging in limbo for a couple weeks, but apparently such a basic courtesy is too hard.
Recruiters are loving scum.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

runchild posted:

I’m also starting a new job next week, one that should be much better than my last. And while I’m happy for all you goons who had quick turnarounds between jobs, for me it’s been a very stressful 5 months. Here’s some dumb poo poo that a lot of companies do: ghost candidates after a goddam interview. All they had to do was send a simple rejection email so I’m not hanging in limbo for a couple weeks, but apparently such a basic courtesy is too hard.

This happened to me when I interviewed with Auto-Owners insurance. I even sent them a loving thank you letter the day after the interview.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dark Mage posted:

Recruiters are loving scum.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Infidel Castro posted:

This happened to me when I interviewed with Auto-Owners insurance. I even sent them a loving thank you letter the day after the interview.

Worst one came from a company where the hiring person happened to be a former classmate. She spent half the interview complementing my work back in college, said she’d get back to me in a few days, and then I never heard from her again.

The job I actually got, they ended the interview by promising they would let me know in a timely manner regardless of whether or not I was moving on to the next step. I was really impressed by that, which is a little sad tbh. Everybody else set the bar so low.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Xaintrailles posted:

I too resigned today. Oddly enough the trigger wasn't the GM bitching at me for "not meeting expectations", but the fact that they were bitching at my co-worker for doing the same thing when I know for a fact he works loving hard. They pushes *extremely* hard for me to resign rather than fire me, but after the cat was out of the bag of how done I was with all the horseshit, corporate double-speak, and head office's made up target market of "the curious achiever" I figured it wouldn't be worth waiting for them to fire me when they also knew I was waiting for them to fire me.

I am not sure if they're drinking the kool-aid or just playing along like they have but it just wasn't worth it. I'm kinda hoping that by throwing myself under the bus it takes the heat off of my former co-worker and I'm still pissed at how they're just going to keep using and abusing anyone still left.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's really hard to do the right thing after an interview because the FOMO can be intense on someone who meets job requirements but wasn't a shining saint. My corporate overlords try to keep our reputation up in that area so if we are in like week 3 of a 6 week hiring program for entry level positions and we're being assholes keeping someone on the hook from week 1 because they were good but not amazing, HR will kick our rear end to decide then instead of at the end.

I entirely believe you can't keep that up without HR being robots about it to knock you out of your emotional FOMO short circuit so I guess that's one thing maybe they are good for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Pimpcasso posted:

I can not clock out till 6:26 pm or it is considered leaving early, no exceptions. I am typically done with everything at 5:00pm. I spend the last 30 minutes of my day sitting in my car listening to podcasts.

I’ve worked the same job for 10 years.

I have a similar situation. I'm an IT manager and work directly for the CEO. The company hours are 9am-6pm Monday-Friday. There's an attendance report that goes out every morning, and you better be in the office. I work after hours doing server maintenance, and quite often I don't have anything for my team to do but wait for things to break, but we all have to sit here till 6pm, not a second sooner.

So, why I am pissed is because we're in the office 9 hours a day (Yeah 1 hour is meant to be lunch) But being in IT, if anyone has an issue, that's when they come to us. Sitting in my office every morning I can hear the guy next to me snoring, and the entire company sits here doing nothing most of the afternoon. Because we are in our offices, everything is perceived as fine though, and there isn't a single metric that would show otherwise. Just be in the office. I can do nothing for an entire month, as long as I am here, and nobody would ever know.