Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Daric posted:

Halo MCC is the ultimate answer

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Aha, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered is locked behind "EA PlayPro", a monthly subscription tier on top of whatever this free perk to a subscription is supposed to be. I officially have no idea what the gently caress is going on anymore.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

enojy posted:

Aha, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered is locked behind "EA PlayPro", a monthly subscription tier on top of whatever this free perk to a subscription is supposed to be. I officially have no idea what the gently caress is going on anymore.
EA Play Pro is their tier for playing games day one. If Game Pass is advertising a game, that means it's old enough that they're bumping it down into the main tier that Game Pass gets.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cloks posted:

get a grip, ya goon

I'm definitely getting the purple controller, it'll go will with my fortnite purple controller

Yoooo thats a nice looking controller. I didn't know there was a purple Xbox controller available (besides Design Lab).

I'll have to see if I can find that one for not horribly expensive.

E: Holy poo poo it's like $250 on Amazon. I'll design lab myself a purple controller.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

really annoying/dumb that games you havent played for a while dont get automatically updated when updates come out.

thats ....the whole loving point of automatic updates in always on mode?

am i missing something? do external storage games get from auto updates? its set to leave external drives powered on in sleep mode.

gently caress, i just wanted to have a gmae of tony hawk before i turned the console off but nooooooooo 4.6GB update from February. thanks!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Daric posted:

Halo MCC is the ultimate answer

I tried revisiting Halo 1 with my wife and was absolutely shocked at how much I require games to hold my hand these days. I got turned around after rescuing one of the groups of marines when you first arrive on Halo and we ended up wasting like 10 minutes figuring out where were supposed to go. It was honestly embarrassing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Halo 1's indoor areas are total dogshit copy pasta its not you, its the game.
Luckily the outdoors holds up

Edit: oh you meant the outdoor part oops sorry. Prepare for some bad interiors later tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can play up to Silent Cartographer and then just go to Halo 2

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Halo games are good when you can just skip The Flood Missions.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’ve never played a Halo game before except a little bit of 3 so I played through Halo 1 a few months ago. That Warthog race to the exit at the end was absolute garbage. Can I expect more of that in the sequels?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

Kevyn posted:

I’ve never played a Halo game before except a little bit of 3 so I played through Halo 1 a few months ago. That Warthog race to the exit at the end was absolute garbage. Can I expect more of that in the sequels?

Halo to me is one of the most overrated FPS franchises ever. I’ve been playing through the MCC and the single player of every single game except Reach is massively boring. I remember having fun with 2 playing it co-op on the original Xbox and 3 has great multiplayer that I played on 360 loads but the single player campaigns just don’t hold up if you’ve played basically any other big FPS series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No way, 95% of the Bungie Halo games are all still top-notch. It’s only the later 343 stuff that’s aged like milk.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kevyn posted:

They all end with that until... reach? And then it starts up again. Its like, a thing, because it was so memorable and beloved in Halo 1

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Playing the Halo 1 campaign when it came out blew my mind. That first big outdoor area was insane, I never experienced anything like that in a shooter back then. Also the very first encounter with the flood, the cutscene where you find the helmet cam footage and then you start hearing the noises, that was absolutely chilling.

I have no idea how all of this holds up these days, I haven't played the campaign since then.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Every Halo campaign up to reach was pretty great for its time although they probably havent held up too well. god drat if that Halo infinite trailer get me right in the feels though.

this will be a good year for games.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Laserface posted:

really annoying/dumb that games you havent played for a while dont get automatically updated when updates come out.

Yeah this is a giant pain in the rear end

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Can someone convince me to keep the series X I got off Target if I already have a PS5 and RTX 3080 equipped PC?

Not really interested in current gamrpass offerings, I could see myself playing cross platform games on it as the most convincing argument to myself.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

infraboy posted:

Can someone convince me to keep the series X I got off Target if I already have a PS5 and RTX 3080 equipped PC?

Not really interested in current gamrpass offerings, I could see myself playing cross platform games on it as the most convincing argument to myself.

No, sell it

I use mine all the time and I have a gaming pc, but I like GamePass

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Halo 1 came out 10 years ago so yeah, the campaign may not hold up when compared to modern FPSs but it was also the first game I played with outdoor portions like that and with vehicles.

And the multilayer is still great.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Ooh snap, is Prodeus out of early access tomorrow? I am really excited for this game.

Holy poo poo I had no idea Prodeus was coming to Xbox, I thought it was Steam-only. This is awesome news :swoon:

Just need them to get Spelunky 2 to be ported over as well, and ideally the original game as well and Downwell would be pretty nice. They're some solid indie gems that really should be on Xbox by now.

Also lots of news today about Phil Spencer saying they want to make a new Killer Instinct game. Our prayers have been answered. Apparently it's something they're talking about a lot and just waiting for the right team, which is the odd part of the news since the team that took over for the original developers were excellent and it's odd that they wouldn't be the go-to for a sequel. They did such a stellar job of elevating an already excellent game even further so why Xbox hasn't just thrown money at them is unusual, they're perfect to continue the franchise.

Was hoping they'd bring a new entry out and generally keep things the same since it works so well, and just build on the KI roster of characters and expand on the guest characters even more adding characters like Doom guy, Corvo from Dishonored, Senua from Hellblade etc. and maybe a new mode that's tag-based would be fun?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The team that took over has other work to do or you believe renewed rumors that with EA getting WB's former mobile games the meats back on the menu with netherrealm (it is not)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Prodeus looks really cool

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Daric posted:

Halo 1 came out 10 years ago so yeah, the campaign may not hold up when compared to modern FPSs but it was also the first game I played with outdoor portions like that and with vehicles.

And the multilayer is still great.

20 years. November 15 is Halo’s 20th anniversary.

How old does that make you feel right now?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

E: Holy poo poo it's like $250 on Amazon. I'll design lab myself a purple controller.

That’s because it comes with a Fortnite DLC code for a skin. I bet a lot of the “used” ones floating around have the controller totally unused because scalpers were mostly interested in reselling the code.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

jabro posted:

20 years. November 15 is Halo’s 20th anniversary.

How old does that make you feel right now?

Yeah that’s what I meant. Phone posting in the morning doesn’t help.

I got invited to a Halo Infinite Multiplayer flight this weekend so hoping it’s more like 3 than 5.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

343 just put out new/updated mod tools on Steam for Halo 1 yesterday. I’m interested to check in on that in a few months and see what’s going on. Hopefully some of the other MCC games get them, too.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Prodeus looks really cool

I played the first 3 levels this morning and it is really cool. They've even animated the enemy corpses to replicate the way that Doom sprites only had one PoV and would spin around with your viewpoint.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anno posted:

343 just put out new/updated mod tools on Steam for Halo 1 yesterday. I’m interested to check in on that in a few months and see what’s going on. Hopefully some of the other MCC games get them, too.

I remember hanging out in the Gearbox Forums clamoring for mod tools for Halo: CE… 17 years ago? Absolutely crazy that they actually exist now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bardeh posted:

I played the first 3 levels this morning and it is really cool. They've even animated the enemy corpses to replicate the way that Doom sprites only had one PoV and would spin around with your viewpoint.
They're not actually "real" hand-drawn sprites! It's a fancy effect that takes a 3D model and renders it to a flat sprite on the fly. You can turn the effect off and just see the monsters as 3D models if you're curious.

SUNKOS posted:

Just need them to get Spelunky 2 to be ported over as well, and ideally the original game as well and Downwell would be pretty nice. They're some solid indie gems that really should be on Xbox by now.
The studio that handled the programming and such on Spelunky 2 is currently busy with porting the series to Switch, but I suspect that a homecoming to Xbox is on their list for down the line since they've developed (and are developing) Xbox ports of other people's games.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I remember hanging out in the Gearbox Forums clamoring for mod tools for Halo: CE… 17 years ago? Absolutely crazy that they actually exist now.
Mod tools were released for the OG Halo PC release many moons ago. These new ones are basically updated versions of the old tools, plus a new developer build of the game that can run unbundled maps for quick testing. I'm eager to see what tools fall out for Halo 3 and the other games that never got PC ports before MCC...

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Mods in general make a ton of sense for supporting Gamepass engagement so hopefully we see more of it. First though they need a store that can work with them at any sort of acceptable level. I guess maybe we’ll know more about that in a few hours whenever they talk about Windows 11 or whatever it’ll be called.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

Anno posted:

in a few hours whenever they talk about Windows 11 or whatever it’ll be called.

Windows Game Pass

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

infraboy posted:

Dang nice pc

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Give the Series X to a friend who has nothing. Or sell your RTX 3080 and retire early.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 24, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sell the 3080 and retire. Edit: /\/\/\ :hfive:

Barudak posted:

The team that took over has other work to do or you believe renewed rumors that with EA getting WB's former mobile games the meats back on the menu with netherrealm (it is not)

Last I heard was NetherRealm was working on a Marvel Versus fighting game with the X-Men license back in Marvel's hands. That combined with the Suicide Squad game we saw a while back has me fairly sure that WB are holding onto everything now. If that rumor about NetherRealm is true they're actually in a really interesting position where if all parties could somehow come to an agreement, they may actually be able to make a Marvel vs. DC game which would be great. Think the chances of that happening are close to zero but WB is in a pretty good spot right now, I think. EA possibly gobbling them up would really suck though.

The Kins posted:

The studio that handled the programming and such on Spelunky 2 is currently busy with porting the series to Switch, but I suspect that a homecoming to Xbox is on their list for down the line since they've developed (and are developing) Xbox ports of other people's games.

That's good to know! Do they not make the games in GM any more? They had a pretty good system for compiling builds for different platforms but they may have gone with something different, I haven't kept up. Reading how Derek Yu approached somewhat random level generation was interesting and utterly genius, though. Never would have thought of trying that approach in a million years but mixing handcrafted segments with layout randomization like that works so well. I wonder if that inspired Bungie's 'Infinite Forest' in Destiny 2 before they removed that and a bunch of other content from the game?

On the topic of indie games, wasn't Fez 2 announced years back? I wonder what happened to that?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

On the topic of indie games, wasn't Fez 2 announced years back? I wonder what happened to that?

Phil Fish had a meltdown on Twitter and quit game Development.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ErrEff posted:

That’s because it comes with a Fortnite DLC code for a skin. I bet a lot of the “used” ones floating around have the controller totally unused because scalpers were mostly interested in reselling the code.

Oh I didn't even notice it came with a skin code. Maybe I'll poke around for used ones, more likely I'll design lab one or just wait till the Goon Squad one goes live for sale.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

John F Bennett posted:

Playing the Halo 1 campaign when it came out blew my mind. That first big outdoor area was insane, I never experienced anything like that in a shooter back then. Also the very first encounter with the flood, the cutscene where you find the helmet cam footage and then you start hearing the noises, that was absolutely chilling.

I have no idea how all of this holds up these days, I haven't played the campaign since then.

It really was awesome - as was that Warthog ending sequence. I remember my whole family watching that (who don't normally care about games). Really fun at the time.

I can *absolutely see* how it won't hold up now if it's your first experience of it... but back in the day that poo poo was pretty amazing and new.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

That's good to know! Do they not make the games in GM any more? They had a pretty good system for compiling builds for different platforms but they may have gone with something different, I haven't kept up. Reading how Derek Yu approached somewhat random level generation was interesting and utterly genius, though. Never would have thought of trying that approach in a million years but mixing handcrafted segments with layout randomization like that works so well. I wonder if that inspired Bungie's 'Infinite Forest' in Destiny 2 before they removed that and a bunch of other content from the game?
Spelunky HD on XBLA used a custom game engine by Derek's programmer buddy on account of it being many, MANY moons before Game Maker gracefully handled consoles. Spelunky 2 also uses a custom engine, but his buddy was busy with other stuff so the programming was handled by Blitworks, a studio in Spain that usually mostly handles ports.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-RRT-0...2e-aca8f78beebe

Xbox Series X available at Amazon UK. Get it while it's there, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
If I let a friend login to Gamepass on his PC, will it kick me off the Xbox if he's playing? I don't play anything on PC